Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! (2102 Views)

My Encounter With Robbers At Mile2 / The Evils Of Tinubu, APC, TVC & Consat TV / Can Nigerian Police Do This Without Shooting Someone? Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Sirniyeh(m): 8:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
This could be unbelieveable to a stranger in Nigeria but to virtually all Nigerians, including a day old baby, police officers have same identity.
Ask me what could this identity be! Here is my story:

I was driving down Queens Road in Lagos when I was flagged down by two gun-toting policemen. “We need a lift,” demanded one of them. “We are going up the road.” Could I have refused? What would have happened if I had refused? It might have become a case of “resisting arrest.” I asked them to get in. One sat in front with me: the other at the back. Immediately they got in, the man in front with me found it necessary to affirm his alienation from me. He said to me: “Oga, you people are enjoying O. You get AC in your car. We, we have to stay all day in the sun.”

sincerely it shocked me! At the moment I did not utter anything. I pretended as if I did not get their discussion. But to my surprise, the other guy said, "Oga we dey talk to you, you no answer. Hope your motor get paper sha?"

my people that was the beginning. It started like joke but eventually I was taken to their station claiming to have found a suspected car. But after investigation when the documents to the car had been given to them at the station and found no allegation, I was still asked to come and bail my car.

Nigerians, what kind of identity is our law enforcement agents promoting? What kind of country is this?

When a man is arrested for a traffic offence in New York, the fine is only a fraction of the living wage. Not in Lagos. The minimum wage is 18,000 naira, but the fine for traffic offences starts ostensibly from 50,000 naira. Then you might be asked to go for a psychoanalytic evaluation which might cost another 25,000 naira. This puts the government in cahoots with the police. By imposing fines which any right-thinking person can tell the average car-owner cannot pay, the car-owner is forced to succumb to police extortion.

The discussion becomes: “How much can you pay? How much do you have?” One thing is certain: whatever amount you have will not be going to government coffers. It is going to end up in the pockets of the arresting police officer(s).

This is my encounter in the hand of police. But it's not strange to me. Even the JTF rape Boko Haram victims. May God help us in Nigeria.

Nairalanders, what is the way out?

Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by prov1029(m): 8:13pm On Jan 10, 2014
I see you point.
It s very unfair that people are expected to pay huge fines when minimum wage is low.
this is why things are not workign so well because the Governement is trying to use shortcut to generate revenues and ill gotten wealth scatters.
what i mean by shortcut?
increasing cost of living without improving the lives of those doing the living.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 10, 2014
Bail car, has the car committed any offence? Your papers were complete I suppose. The issue of bailing your car when you committed no offence is a very good litigation case. Except if there are some other details we need to know.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by clun(f): 8:22pm On Jan 10, 2014
This is pathetic.
I think the Nigeria police need just graduate not some illiterates. People with dignity, respect and regard.
Nigeria police is a disgrace to the nation.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Sirniyeh(m): 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
prov10:29:
I see you point.
It s very unfair that people are expected to pay huge fines when minimum wage is low.
this is why things are not workign so well because the Governement is trying to use shortcut to generate revenues and ill gotten wealth scatters.
what i mean by shortcut?
increasing cost of living without improving the lives of those doing the living.
Exactly, but that is if the money even goes to goverment pocket. Nigerian police are crooks. From the Top to nail, non is excluded. All Oga at the top collect returns, unofficial monthly dues....may blood of gods shower them all
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by bastien: 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2014
Naija no dey go front at,na just back
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by psucc(m): 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2014
Guy you bail the car. They call it demorrhage(not too sure of the spelling). In some cases, they charge per night.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by gulfer: 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2014
You caused it, why did you give them a lift in the first place.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Sloan: 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2014
Sirniyeh: This could be unbelieveable to a stranger in Nigeria but to virtually all Nigerians, including a day old baby, police officers have same identity.
Ask me what could this identity be! Here is my story:

I was driving down Queens Road in Lagos when I was flagged down by two gun-toting policemen. “We need a lift,” demanded one of them. “We are going up the road.” Could I have refused? What would have happened if I had refused? It might have become a case of “resisting arrest.” I asked them to get in. One sat in front with me: the other at the back. Immediately they got in, the man in front with me found it necessary to affirm his alienation from me. He said to me: “Oga, you people are enjoying O. You get AC in your car. We, we have to stay all day in the sun.”

Nairalanders, what is the way out?

SHUT THE HELLP-UP! YOU DESERVED IT AND YOU KNOW IT! A society, the law enforcement, is a reflection of the society and the government of the day, were you NOT on the list of fresh-airmons who want your retardeen government? Now, who will you complain to? Does it look to you that this government send you message, even if you had caught a bullet while in your own car and thinking you're offering a ride to police? People like us who tell Nigerians the objective, hard truth are the usual enemies but who is suffering now? Whose 18 K was taken In a real society and a government that is in a hurry to right the anomalies in a system, this kind of story should be getting prime time attention. In fact, it should be getting attention a long time before things happen but with a don't give a damn president who pretends not to hear or notice high corruption like Odulah, Madueke and co., how much is your crappy 18K? In a country like the one Nigerians are dying to get visa, there's NO COP that will ever even ask you for a ride - NEVER! In fact, there's hardly any civilian that will ask someone he doesn't know personally for a ride! In fact, you will never see a police officer who is not on duty in a uniform, not to talk of asking a citizen for a ride! The last time I got a silly ticket, it was how much $ 160 or so which I could have contested in court but the hassle of driving downtown and the time wasted was not worth it and I could afford to pay and YES, I was genuinely guilty! The officer explained my offence (never mind I knew already) as I sat helplessly waiting for him to finish. You cannot or are expected to get out of the car, just wait until you get your papers and ticket and go and pay! That is a real country o, not the retarde.d country of the fresh air crew of idio.ts who voted for a president who doesn't give a damn! Whose biggest ambition is to do nothing and preserve the status quo. Pay whatever money they ask you because you deserve it and this is part of your fresh air punishment! wink wink grin grin
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
stop deceiving pple ur not d first person to give police lift i have done so many times none of dem had ever done that to me, i challenged u to come up wit theirs names and d police station where it hapened, dont mislead pple who would like to assist.
Re: Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 11, 2014
psucc: Guy you bail the car. They call it demorrhage(not too sure of the spelling). In some cases, they charge per night.

I know there's deumorrage but that's only when the vehicle or the driver is penned down for some offence. If your car was detained its quite different from when its impounded. Deumorrage only accumulates on impounded cars. Detained cars are only subject to investigation and whe the offence is confirmed it becomes impounded where deumorrage can be paid.
So except there are left out details, you have a strong litigation case that could earn you millions.

(1) (Reply)

Osun Guber Election: Powerful Campaign Quotes & Slogans Of PDP Osun Mega Rally / Why Jonathan Is In Trouble — Gov Amaechi / Check Out This Akinwunmi Ambode Campaign Posters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.