Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,874 members, 7,851,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:48 AM

Siasia Quits Youth Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Quits Youth Football (625 Views)

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Right To Dream (rtd)-One Of The Best Youth Football Academy In The world. / Siasia Quits Youth Football (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Siasia Quits Youth Football by smile4kenn(m): 1:51am On Oct 16, 2009
Nigeria's former under-20 coach Samson Siasia says he will not be coaching any more youth sides in Africa.

His comments come after his side's exit from the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt when they lost 3-2 to 10-man Germany in the second round of the tournament.

The coach now admits that working with young African players is extremely demanding and uninspiring.

He was quick to dismiss suggestions he could take charge of the Olympic side or any Nigerian youth side in future.

"I'm not going to come back to junior levels anymore," he told Punch newspaper in Nigeria.

"I want to progress in life. I have tried the junior levels a couple of times and now I have failed.

"It's difficult to work with young African players as they struggle to comprehend you, so therefore you need a lot of time, if you don't have that you will never succeed.

"In Europe it is a lot easier, the players are brought up from the academies and they learn a lot of things.

"But in Africa the players don't listen, their thinking is low and you have to repeat yourself over and over or they will forget."

In 2005 Siasia won the African Youth Championship in Benin with Nigeria before taking them to second place at the Under-20 World Cup in Holland the same year.

He also won silver at the Olympics in Beijing last year.

His meteoric rise led to calls in the local media and from fans for him to be made the coach of the national team, but he is not thinking about the Super Eagles job just yet.

Instead he wants everyone to back the current coach Shaibu Amodu.

"I don't want to think about that, everyone needs to support Amodu now because it is a crucial time for the team," he added.

"I have some offers that my agent is working on now but nothing is concrete yet.

"I just want to relax, think about my career and see what I am going to do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8309621.stm
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by mamagee6(f): 2:17am On Oct 16, 2009
Good news, now he can hop into another phase in his life.
Re: Siasia Quits Youth Football by Cristalz(f): 9:12am On Oct 17, 2009

(1)

Weekend Of Disappointments: Uefa Expectations / Joel Santana Quits South African Coaching Job. / Bafana Bafana Coach, Santana Finally Got Fired For Losing Friendlies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.