Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? (521 Views)

Nigerian ‘big Boy’ Who Sleeps On Money Searches For A Contractual Baby Mama / Man Crushes Cobra Which Attacked Him In Bed With His Bare Hands (Photos) / Yabatech Graduate Who Sleeps On Roads In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by victons(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
Sleep paralysis
Most people have on many occasions experienced a kindof of temporary cataplexy often accompanied with dreadful hallucinations just before falling asleep(predomital form) or at the brink of waking up(postdormital), this is medically described as Sleep paralysis. As the name implied, it can be simply explaned as a mostly transient paralyzation that occurs in relation to sleep while still concious of the environment. It is a parasomia and often lead people into the superstition of been visited or rather attacked by a superhuman often thought to be Incubus or Succubus.
When you sleep, your brain instructs your muscles to relax and be still, this is called Muscle Atonia and is necessary to avoid physically acting out when you dream in the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) stage of a sleep. Sleep paralysis is experienced when Muscle Atonia occurs while you are still aware of your environment thereby making you unable to move your limbs, speak, sit up and occasionally, suffocate. This scary state of helplessness might induce you into having a sense of terror accompanied with hearing demonic voices, seeing unreal shadows, a feeling of levitation or that someone else is in the room with you, an intruder often referred to as Incubus.
Sleep paralysis can last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and often ends on its own or by certain physical stimulus. It may occur only once in a lifetime(Isolated Sleep Paralysis) or rarely may occur repeatedly (Recurrent Isolated Sleep Paralysis). It has a greater tendency to occur when sleeping in a supine position.
Alot of factors which includes narcolepsy, disturbed sleeps, insomnia, irregular sleep schedule, drugs, fatique have been identified to cause sleep paralysis. It is also been likened to be genetic and age-linked.
Sleep paralysis might be horrific but does not pose any known serious medical risk. It can be prevented by adopting good sleeping habits and adequate sensitization.
Onyeka Nnaemeka
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by Tallesty1(m): 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
I have a question for you Oga. I have a friend who suffers this sleep paralysis whenever he travels to the village. He told me that he can spend years in the city without experiencing it but the pressing (as he calls it) starts the moment he steps his feet in the village.

What can you say is the reason it only happens to him when he's in the village!
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by SonicGlows(m): 3:33pm On Oct 02, 2016
All this write-up you put up are based on your limited senses.Life is controlled by the physical and spiritual,until you experience it personally,you won't understand.
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by victons(m): 3:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Tallesty1:
I have a question for you Oga. I have a friend who suffers this sleep paralysis whenever he travels to the village. He told me that he can spend years in the city without experiencing it but the pressing (as he calls it) starts the moment he steps his feet in the village.

What can you say is the reason it only happens to him when he's in the village!
Probably, he already conditioned himself to believe these things are from the village, thereby his brain might unconciously get induced to gv him a per/dormital muscle atonia,...., nw, are u believing these thngz were programmed by his villagers?
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by Tallesty1(m): 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2016
victons:
Probably, he already conditioned himself to believe these things are from the village, thereby his brain might unconciously get induced to gv him a per/dormital muscle atonia,...., nw, are u believing these thngz were programmed by his villagers?
I don't want to believe anything, it happens to me sometimes and I already know what I think of it.

Don't you think he has a reason to condition himself to believe that it is from the village? I mean, his brain wasn't already pre-conditioned when he was born.

There are certainly reasons for his conclusion that it is a village thing.
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by victons(m): 3:56pm On Oct 02, 2016
SonicGlows:
All this write-up you put up are based on your limited senses.Life is controlled by the physical and spiritual,until you experience it personally,you won't understand.
Brother, I dont believe in spiritual forces anyway, especially the evil ones
Re: Are We Really Attacked During Sleeps? by victons(m): 4:05pm On Oct 02, 2016
Tallesty1:
I don't want to believe anything, it happens to me sometimes and I already know what I think of it.

Don't you think he has a reason to condition himself to believe that it is from the village? I mean, his brain wasn't already pre-conditioned when he was born.

There are certainly reasons for his conclusion that it is a village thing.
yes, his brain was nt pre-conditioned before birth, bt as you grow and interact with yur environment, you can unconciously start absorbing certain beliefs, so, he Probably believes its frm the village because, he already believe that some unseen forces exists, if not he would ve debunked any link with the village and sought for medical advice

(1) (Reply)

Ecobank Gives Deadline On Oceanic Shares’ Conversion / Even In Cameroon - Herdsmen Are A Nuisance! / Nigerian Girl Shares Inspiring Post 7 Years After Her Leg Was Amputated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.