Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY (7028 Views)

LAPTOPS with TOUCHSCREEN / KEYBOARD LIGHT at CHEAP PRICES / How To Share Files And Data Through Wireless Hotspot On Your PC / Shareit: An Android App That Have Lot Of Uses, It Can Even Share Files To Iphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 9:46am On Oct 04, 2016
Many of us already know this. I just decided to write on it because I keep on seeing people suffering just to send files between two PCs

Normally to transfer large files from one laptop to another, we usually first copy it into an external hard drive or a USB flash drive and then paste it to the second laptop. The problem with this process is that it is time wasting and may be repeated several times depending on the size of the files.

Those of us that did CompTIA N+ (Networking basics), we usually connect both laptops using:
a. hub/switch/router
b. cross-over ethernet cable
c. creating wireless adhoc network

The problem with this method is that it requires a lot of configurations (changing workgroup, ip address, etc) and you may not have the required devices handy when you need to do the networking.

A tech analyst from Techradar once said that the average smartphone user only uses 30% of the phone's features before discarding it so today I'm going to show you a very simple way to connect two laptops with your smartphone in less than 5 minutes and share files directly from laptop A to laptop B.

1. First of all, turn off your mobile data. We don't need it here and putting it on will be at your risk because the two computers will zap your data at the same time.

2. Turn on your smartphone WiFi Hotspot (Name it if you haven't)

3. Turn on the WiFi on both laptops and search for your phone's Hotspot. Then connect. (if it ask you about devices sharing, click in affirmative)

4. After both laptops are connected, open your windows file explorer and click on "Network" in the left pane. You should be able to see the connected laptops including yours. (Any laptop that's not showing, go to that laptop and navigate to network discovery then turn it on)

5. You can now access files from the shared folder of all connected laptops. By default only the "public user" folder is shared. You can always share any folder you want. (if it's asking for username/password, either put them or turn password request off in network settings in the control panel)

6. Now you can share files easily. It might be a little hard setting up the first time but after the first, you'll be setting it up in less than 3 minutes. Also it doesn't take much of your phone battery. I've sent up to 75gb files and lost only 11% battery

So that is it. Also note that:
a. If you're sending a small file (less than 2gb), you don't need to set up this process. Just normal usage of flash drive will serve
b. The above procedure can equally work for a desktop provided it's wireless enabled.
c. If you're savvy enough, you can share other devices like printers and scanners using same method
d. You can connect more than two laptops
and share files simultaneously
e. The limit of laptops/PCs you can connect at the same time depends on your smartphone. Some phones can allow up to 20. Others may just allow 5. (Check that in your Hotspot settings)

Written by Computer boy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 11:29am On Oct 04, 2016
I think more people need to see this.
cc: Maleeq , skydancer , Lalasticlala

You can ask questions if you're not getting it right.

For your fairly used laptops, check my signature
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by zzzzy: 3:55pm On Oct 04, 2016
Important info, tnks for sharing
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2016
zzzzy:
Important info, tnks for sharing
You're welcome
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 29, 2016
you have really done well mydr,once again thanks for the informative....

2 Likes

Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by siegfried99(m): 2:56am On Oct 30, 2016
Nice
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 8:46am On Oct 30, 2016
chidubem89:
you have really done well mydr,once again thanks for the informative....

My pleasure sir smiley
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by Abcruz(m): 1:49pm On Oct 30, 2016
computerboy:

My pleasure sir smiley
nice one sir. Thanks for the insight.

Does the process require data? Cos i read the part were you stated data/wifi should be turned on.
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 7:48pm On Oct 30, 2016
Abcruz:
nice one sir. Thanks for the insight.

Does the process require data? Cos i read the part were you stated data/wifi should be turned on.

Not at all. Actually number 1 says you should switch off your mobile data. You only need Hotspot on your phone and WiFi on your PC
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by Abcruz(m): 11:06am On Oct 31, 2016
computerboy:

Not at all. Actually number 1 says you should switch off your mobile data. You only need Hotspot on your phone and WiFi on your PC
alright thanks.
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by gloryz24: 12:47am On Nov 02, 2016
You could also use a software like Lenovo ShareIt or Samsung Link

You can watch the clips on these links to see how these work.
Sometimes it can be easier to do it that way than making a private network to work.
Re: HOW TO CONNECT 2 LAPTOPS WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE AND SHARE FILES DIRECTLY by computerboy: 8:28am On Nov 02, 2016
gloryz24:
You could also use a software like Lenovo ShareIt or Samsung Link

You can watch the clips on these links to see how these work.
Sometimes it can be easier to do it that way than making a private network to work.

Don't know about Samsung link though but I equally use Lenovo share it.

The difference is the laptop which you will need to transfer to or from might not have it installed and secondly the phone Hotspot method is the easiest to set up

(1) (Reply)

Etisalat Blazing With Tunnelguru / Hp Folio 13 Intel Corei5 128gb SSD 8gb Ram. Nationwide delivery / I Mistakenly Deleted My Recovery From My Laptop (compaq X14-39697 )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.