Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,912 members, 7,828,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

On Peter Obi's Eye Opening Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Peter Obi's Eye Opening Speech (617 Views)

Videos, Photos ; Uche Mefor's Opening Speech At Biafra Confab In Italy. / Peter Obi Spotted On A Train In The UK By A Shocked Nigerian (Photos) / Peter Obi Exercising In Onitsha This Morning- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Peter Obi's Eye Opening Speech by petra22(f): 11:30am On Oct 04, 2016
Anambra state former governor, Peter Obi recently gave a speech at The Platform, an annual event organized by Covenant Christian Centre. First off, I am so mad at myself for missing this year’s event. Nothing in the world will make me miss it next year except I’m out of the country, in which case I will follow it up online.

If you are on social media, you must have come across this speech that went viral and has spurred a lot of conversations. It is one of the most candid speeches you’ll ever listen to. Meanwhile, go and search for the video on Youtube if you haven’t seen it. Peter Obi who spoke about cutting cost of governance in Nigeria, made me cringe at his analysis of how ridiculously expensive it is to run a government. I was actually surprised to see people laughing in the video. Peter has a great sense of humour, granted but he raised very salient points that I would have thought would make people go into deep thoughts about their nation but as usual everything is a joke to the average Nigerian.

This speech just makes Buhari’s ‘Change Begins with me’ mantra look like the scam it really is. Just as Peter rightly said, we cannot effect any change as a people with the kind of leaders we have. A good leader is supposed to do just that, LEAD! Buhari should show us how he is reducing government expenditure before telling the citizenry to cut back. No sir, change does not begin with me. You are my leader, show me what to do and I will follow suit. Practice what you preach sir.

Nigerians are good people but our biggest problem is the greedy, self-centered people we have in the seat of power. Inept leaders who see governance as a ‘Get-rich-quick’ scheme. Callous leaders whose feeding budget runs into billions of naira while the people they lead are unsure of their next meal. Politics is not a venture for intellectually lazy lots. It takes a lot of wisdom to rule a nation to greatness and employing the best of advisory team won’t cut it. A dull leader would reflect on its people. Ask yourself where we presently rank on WAEC performance and why JAMB’s cut off has been reduced from 200 to 180. I’d just leave that for you to mull over.

I must say that Peter Obi is a fine orator. It’s not about speaking English with the finest of diction and accents but knowing what you are saying and being highly informed. Unlike the average Nigerian politician, you could tell that his speech wasn’t rehearsed. He didn’t even read from a paper or use slides, yet he managed to quote figures and estimates of cost of governance accurately. This is an intelligent man who has gone to top notch schools around the world. Not only is he full of wisdom but he also has the people’s interest at heart. Indeed, Anambra state has experienced a lot of changes and development over the past few years. Whilst some state governors are still commissioning boreholes, Anambra state has an automobile factory, good road network, impressive academic performance and a number of worthy achievements. You should also know that Anambra state also has one of the highest internally generated revenue in Nigeria and it is not even the commercial nerve centre of the country. Truly, talk is cheap! Buhari and his team need to seek Peter’s wisdom to show them how to drag this nation out of the rot we are in, if pride and greed would let them.

Just as expected, this speech has incited a lot of comments clamouring for Peter Obi to be the next President. This man makes me proud of my state and country. But the question is; are Nigerians actually ready to set aside tribal sentiments and allow a qualified individual from the East lead this nation? 2019 is roughly two years away from now, let’s see if Nigerians still feel the same way about him then and are ready to support him like they gullibly did Buhari. My only hope is that Peter Obi doesn’t become another disaster if he eventually makes it to Aso rock.

SOURCE: http://strippedmind.com/on-peter-obis-speech/

(1) (Reply)

First Pic Of Kidnapped Ex Minister,mrs Mallam After Her Release / How BVN Gave Out 'corrupt' Judges Hidden Cash / “chibok Mother” Writes Tearful Open Letter To Doubters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.