Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,791 members, 7,851,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:00 AM

Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression (2639 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Killings An Invitation For Civil War - Benue APC Chairman / Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? / Jonathan’s Statement That He’s Not Finished With Nigeria An Expensive Joke-muric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Kayceenaz(m): 7:49pm On Jan 04, 2017
pchukwudi:
Stop passing off speculations as though they were facts. You should be tagging your scepticism with phrasal prefix like "I think". Don't just pass off your pessimistic views as though you are God.

I believe, given present realities, that now is not the right time for the birth of Biafra.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Kayceenaz(m): 7:50pm On Jan 04, 2017
cc: lalasticlala
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by naijalander: 7:53pm On Jan 04, 2017
I'm not anti Igbo, am anti secessionist. The country you are trying to secede from happens to be my home.

We can go back and forth like but the truth is the truth. You can have a Biafra State of Nigeria, what you can't have is a republic, at least not yet.

pchukwudi:
1. Prove that you are not a kid. Just show me one instance where I mentined "igbo" in my engagement with YOU in particular. If you cannot do that, then know this as a fact: your childish mind is responding to it's own thoughts and NOT to my statements.

2. I resent Igbos who champion anti-igbo sentiments on this platform because by doing so, they give arrogant outsiders like you the opportunity to think that you have any idea what we are talking about. Or, worse still, it gives you the delutional impression that you have a right to participate in the discussion..

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by pchukwudi: 7:57pm On Jan 04, 2017
And many people believe, given the present realities, that now is the perfect time to reinforce the birthing PROCESS and intensify the agitation. Don't you think the process and the agitation is quite different from the birthing itself?

Kayceenaz:

I believe, given present realities, that now is not the right time for the birth of Biafra.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by pchukwudi: 8:06pm On Jan 04, 2017
Of course, why won't you go back and forth when you hold the perversive view that you have a God-given right to force everyone to remain members of your so called home?

naijalander:
I'm not anti Igbo, am anti secessionist. The country you are trying to secede from happens to be my home.

We can go back and forth like but the truth is the truth. You can have a Biafra State of Nigeria, what you can't have is a republic, at least not yet.

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by naijalander: 8:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
You forgot to bold the am not anti Igbo part grin grin

By the way a Biafra state is a good place to start, dissolve Enugu and merger some other state voilà you have a Biafra state with numerous municipal control and county sheriffs, power will return back to your villages, you will finally be able to hold your local leaders accountable and focus less on the Federal government. It is the perfect solution; fiscal federalism.

pchukwudi:
Of course, why won't you go back and forth when you hold the perversive view that you have a God-given right to force everyone to remain members of your so called home?

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Kamanuozuzu: 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2017
afanide:
Lets learn to respect people's opinion please.....

It's his opinion and don't label it trash @Poster above.

A trash is a trash anywhere under the sun.

1 Like

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 04, 2017
Kayceenaz:

My brother, Biafra is not yet a country. Realizing it now is a step in the wrong direction and would worsen our woes.

Your response didn't answer my question?
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Kayceenaz(m): 8:36pm On Jan 04, 2017
pchukwudi:
Good to know that you are Igbo. Good too that you are intelligent.

But then, personally, I don't fancy it when Igbos champion anti-igbo rhetorics on Nairaland.

There are a lot of alternative and pro igbo and Biafran platforms on which you can air your views with full empathy and understanding of how Nigeria's institutionalized injustice had affected the majority of the Biafran population and still do up till this moment.

What I really think you should stop handling with "kids gloves" (sic) is the more than 50-year old anti igbo sentiments that've been entrenched in the Nigerian psyche and on this Forum.

You should also realize that those championing the exit movement have never been politicians in the present system. And yes no system will ever be perfect. So no need to speculatively demonize an alternative option that you've not tried.

Also, how come you seem to have no idea that the root cause of the seeming retrogression this country is trapped in is its unjust systems and extractive institutions? This suggests that you either did not grow up here or you did not share the experience of the common class.

Just yesterday, January 3rd 2017, I heard a cracking noise near a friend's office. And when I asked what it was about I was told that a young female hawker was just ran over by a speeding vehiecle - and it was near certain she won't survive.

I could not go out to witness the horrible event but I wept uncontrollably in the office. Why?

- This young girl chose hawking (when others were still celeberating new year) because she had to survive and prostitution was not an option.

- Hawking was attractive because education was not made compulsory for her.

- Now that she is down, woud she access any kind of insurance cover? Your guess is as good as mine.

I could go on and on, but I guess you have an idea of what I am saying. This is 2017. And this system has never worked since the last 100 years. #IWantAnAlternative

My brother, thanks for the commendation. Objectivity indeed does more good than harm. Continually "resenting" Igbos with viewpoints that are in contrast to yours would only restrict you from considering the other avaliable options that could benefit the Igbo nation, whom you claim to cherish, better. Dogmatism leaves one cognitively stunted, impoverished by his/her improbable ideas. Trying to turn the table on me by fallaciously asking, ''And you, nkor?'' would be sheer self-deception.

Furthermore, asserting that none of those agitating for Biafra from the frontline are politicians is a mere assumption. They became one the day they began making demands for self-rule. The issue is whose interests are being really pursued? That of Igbos, theirs, or that of the anonymous others? What makes you reckon that some Igbo politicians in government, with ulterior motives, do not implicitly support the Biafran struggle? I believe our ethnic challenges can be tackled from within, not without. That means having an altruistic ideology spreading through Igbos' minds.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Kayceenaz(m): 11:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
cc: lalasticlala
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Presidiotbuhari: 12:47am On Jan 05, 2017
Afonjas and their sold out cum muslims friends from imo state wount let us rest on this forum again, with their anti biafran crusade day and night.

It really suck to be this guys, with such islamic warped reasoning...
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by pchukwudi: 10:17am On Jan 05, 2017
grin

Why were you so offensive in the defense of your own dogmatism? Kind of reminds me of the gross hypocrisy of the American democrats, who force Christians to accept liberal views (like gay rights) but find it too hard to accept their own duely elected president. cheesy

I guess your conscience is attempting to restrain you but you are somehow bent on violating your own conscience on the altar of convience and political correctness.

1. See, I don't give a hoot about your personal views and ideologies. You can convert to islam and change your name to Mr. One Nigeria. That's your businesss. And I don't care. My resentment is mainly enkindled when you create threads that give OUTSIDERS the opportunity to bash igbos and label them as "confused lots who don't know what they want".

2. If you think you have a persuasive alternative pro-Igbo agenda, Nairaland is not the platform for it. The fact that you have been shouting out to the mods (probably to put this thread on the frontpage) shows how gullible and naive you are. I dare you to scrutinize this forum and see if you would find threads created by Yorubas or Housas calling out and ridiculing the political leaders of their respective zones. If you think your views are better than those proposed by the exit movement then go and engage with them on Radio Biafra Facebook group. But how can you be persuasive when you neither know our collective history nor relate with the disadvantaged majority.

3. The fact that you failed to realize that exit movement is the only force that can compel Nigeria to restructure itself betrays your naveity again. It totally beats me how you could naively expect positive social change from a system that is structurally designed to favor only a few at the expense of the many. That's simply too gullible. It betrays your gross ignorance of Nigeria's political and economic history, especially as it relates to your own people.

4. As FFK rightly pointed out from the words of Rev. Martin Luther King. He said, ‘COWARDICE asks the question: is it safe? EXPEDIENCY asks the question: is it political? VANITY asks the question: is it popular? But CONSCIENCE asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular – but one must take it simply because it is right’.

Kayceenaz:

My brother, thanks for the commendation. Objectivity indeed does more good than harm. Continually "resenting" Igbos with viewpoints that are in contrast to yours would only restrict you from considering the other avaliable options that could benefit the Igbo nation, whom you claim to cherish, better. Dogmatism leaves one cognitively stunted, impoverished by his/her improbable ideas. Trying to turn the table on me by fallaciously asking, ''And you, nkor?'' would be sheer self-deception.

Furthermore, asserting that none of those agitating for Biafra from the frontline are politicians is a mere assumption. They became one the day they began making demands for self-rule. The issue is whose interests are being really pursued? That of Igbos, theirs, or that of the anonymous others? What makes you reckon that some Igbo politicians in government, with ulterior motives, do not implicitly support the Biafran struggle? I believe our ethnic challenges can be tackled from within, not without. That means having an altruistic ideology spreading through Igbos' minds.

1 Like

Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by dudebuck: 3:03pm On Jan 05, 2017
naijalander:

I resent that word "Afonja"

Yes self determination is right. But it may not be a good idea. Consider that all ethnic nationalities of the federation operate interdependently.

The North have a political hegemony which is evident is there overwhelming numbers in all armed groups (Army, Navy, Police, NSCDC, etc).

The East with their affinity for production have an economic hegemony over the country.

The West, being a melting pot of all ethnic nationalities in Nigeria, has a consumerist mentality and serve as the market for what the East produces and the agricultural produce of the North.

I you understand the dynamics with respect to intercultural communication, you will see that secession is indeed an Invitation to Retrogression.

What most (not all) Biafra secessionists want is a country where the Igbos are the majority thereby exercise political hegemony for the other communities. If Biafra happens today, it may trigger another civil war, not between Nigeria and Biafra but surprisingly between the Niger Delta tribes (Ijaw, Efiks, etc) and the Igbo. After that, there will most likely be a religious crisis, I lived in Abuja and met a lot of Igbo Muslims who still have a major connection to the East, in fact that is where they get their produce from, I have also heard a Biafra secessionist claim there will be no mosques in the proposed Biafra. Where does that leave the Muslims among you? Will Biafra truly be a place of freedom of expression without religious freedom?

What you can have is federal structure where every state has its own constitution with limited autonomy. Power to mine and control your own resources, access to your own police force and other things. That is what will make sense, secession is simply a bad idea.
I beg to disagree,sessesion is a good idea, because it is not entirely necessary that Biafra comes to fruition, you Nigerians reason like that proverbial fool who always does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time. Do you think that hausa man will willingly let you control your resources? For how long will you beg him? You have been doing the same thing for the last 60 or so years, when will you people get tired and try other means? Secession is a good idea in this case because it sets the bar at the highest point so that EVEN IF WE DON'T GET BIAFRA,WE WILL GET THESE THINGS YOU MENTIONED. Freedom is not free. Since Ferggie left man united, the club has been groping in darkness simply because the bar of expectations was set at qualification of champions league, while in Sir Alex's days the trophy was the number one target. But did they always lift the trophy? No but they always got into the champions league, now the club has qualified just once since Ferguson left. It is not a must that BIAFRA will be,but freedom isn't free. Nigerians should allow this sink into their thick skulls.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by naijalander: 7:46pm On Jan 05, 2017
Actually fiscal federalism has never been mainstream argument in Naija politics. Igbo people want Biafra but how many Igbo people in public office today are pro-secession? They may be pro secessionists secretly but to the public they aren't. How many times has the argument been put on the floor of the house? In short do they even put arguments on the floor of that House sef grin So if it has never been mainstream how can you say we have been begging for it for 60 years. No we haven't been begging, we have been talking about it.

About Hausa man letting us control our resources, bro who dah Bleep is an Hausa man to tell anybody what to control. Honestly I blame this whole thing on these pu$$¥ a$$ southern politicians. Where a house it's divided against itself, it cannot stand. We all know Nigeria cannot stand another 100 years as it currently is, that's why stuff like constitutional amendment is urgent.

We are not that ignorant, every intelligent Nigerian should know by now Nigeria may be heading towards another civil war. But the good thing is, it's not going to be tribal the way you guys are thinking, it's going to be ideological. But really is war the way to go? Does the North really believe it can hold on to this shame of a federation for another 100 years? I'd be surprise if they did. And mind you there are so many tribal nationalities up North who also want a certain degree of autonomy but you see Southern politicians are all about their stomachs, in fact most of us Southerners are.

But you know what I agree with you in that freedom isn't free.

dudebuck:
I beg to disagree,sessesion is a good idea, because it is not entirely necessary that Biafra comes to fruition, you Nigerians reason like that proverbial fool who always does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result each time. Do you think that hausa man will willingly let you control your resources? For how long will you beg him? You have been doing the same thing for the last 60 or so years, when will you people get tired and try other means? Secession is a good idea in this case because it sets the bar at the highest point so that EVEN IF WE DON'T GET BIAFRA,WE WILL GET THESE THINGS YOU MENTIONED. Freedom is not free. Since Ferggie left man united, the club has been groping in darkness simply because the bar of expectations was set at qualification of champions league, while in Sir Alex's days the trophy was the number one target. But did they always lift the trophy? No but they always got into the champions league, now the club has qualified just once since Ferguson left. It is not a must that BIAFRA will be,but freedom isn't free. Nigerians should allow this sink into their thick skulls.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by MikeNwanze: 9:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
Okay
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2017
These are the kind of people supporting the land-grabbing, murderous Fulani herdsmen.

Kayceenaz:
Nigeria is a vast political entity comprising distinct cultures that are reminiscent of peculiar ethnic groups. Her complexity as well as beauty lies in her diversity. The Uncreated Creator's enablement of this nation through unlikely circumstances is a testament to the potentials and possibilities that inhere in her. Thus, it can be affirmed in the biblical parlance that what God has joined together, let no man or group put assunder. Sadly, not all Nigerians esteem this notion, and thus have importunately sought to break this union for reasons that are seemingly reasonable but not unconnected with the self-centeredness of the agitators and political juggernauts in the dissatisfied regions.

Secession is a recurrent theme in the front burner of socio-political discourse in the country. Frequently, one social/ethnic group or the other raises its hand signaling its desire to part ways with Nigeria and institute a government that would like a magic wand make all its existing challenges (particularly being shortchanged) varnish. It is appropriate to seek fair treatment, equitable distribution of resources--both human and material--as well as have one's voice be heard and considered when making governmental decisions. In fact, when this ideal is not forthcoming, it is logical to express displeasure by making a call to sever ties with such a non-beneficial structure.

Nevertheless, in doing the necessary, treading such a path with unbridled caution is as crucial as the end-goal. Such delicate issues shouldn't be handled with kids' glove. The Biafrans decrying injustice that have been and are being meted out to them should ask themselves these pertinent questions: How just have supposed Biafrans, especially political office holders, been to fellow Biafrans? In what significant ways have our leaders in the South-East and South-South shown us the light of care and overall development? What does the answers to those posers tell you?

Simply put, even if Biafra eventually sees the light of day, I am sceptical of the capacity of those to take the reins of national leadership leading us to the promised land. The me-myself-and-I and siphoning mentality roam unfettered in our social and political space. The little independence we have as a geo-political zone and prevailing underdevelopment herein with all the billions of Naira accruing to her through federal allocation gives us a tip of the iceberg. Our problem is not chiefly abridged political control, it is a distorted operational paradigm in many of us and the absence of the willpower to bring to the doorstep of our brothers and sisters the dividends of qualitative leadership. In other words, Nigeria is not entirely the problem. We are essentially the problem.

Furthermore, taking a cue from how our political progenitors and nationalists pursued the independence of our country Nigeria is strategic and vital. Going by historical records, they didn't employ the violence approach to negotiate Nigeria's independence with the British empire but rather diplomatic approach. Carrying treason-decorated placards as well as hoisting the Biafran flag, and causing gridlocks on roads will never bring about the manifestation of the self-rule dream.

However, as far as military and financial machinery is concerned, Nigeria is far ahead of any dissident group within her. The bloody Nigerian Civil war of 1967-1970 which saw the surging Biafran empire fall buttresses this. And the recent arrest of the the supposed Biafran leader crystallizes this point even better. Feigning ignorance of this and the non-readiness of Biafra to take shape would demonstrate that Biafran apologists have not learned from history and are not interested in fostering the interests of those they fight for.

Kaycee Naze,
Concerned Nigerian.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by irrefragable: 1:24am On Jan 18, 2017
Kayceenaz:
Nigeria is a vast political entity comprising distinct cultures that are reminiscent of peculiar ethnic groups. Her complexity as well as beauty lies in her diversity. The Uncreated Creator's enablement of this nation through unlikely circumstances is a testament to the potentials and possibilities that inhere in her. Thus, it can be affirmed in the biblical parlance that what God has joined together, let no man or group put assunder. Sadly, not all Nigerians esteem this notion, and thus have importunately sought to break this union for reasons that are seemingly reasonable but not unconnected with the self-centeredness of the agitators and political juggernauts in the dissatisfied regions.

Secession is a recurrent theme in the front burner of socio-political discourse in the country. Frequently, one social/ethnic group or the other raises its hand signaling its desire to part ways with Nigeria and institute a government that would like a magic wand make all its existing challenges (particularly being shortchanged) varnish. It is appropriate to seek fair treatment, equitable distribution of resources--both human and material--as well as have one's voice be heard and considered when making governmental decisions. In fact, when this ideal is not forthcoming, it is logical to express displeasure by making a call to sever ties with such a non-beneficial structure.

Nevertheless, in doing the necessary, treading such a path with unbridled caution is as crucial as the end-goal. Such delicate issues shouldn't be handled with kids' glove. The Biafrans decrying injustice that have been and are being meted out to them should ask themselves these pertinent questions: How just have supposed Biafrans, especially political office holders, been to fellow Biafrans? In what significant ways have our leaders in the South-East and South-South shown us the light of care and overall development? What does the answers to those posers tell you?

Simply put, even if Biafra eventually sees the light of day, I am sceptical of the capacity of those to take the reins of national leadership leading us to the promised land. The me-myself-and-I and siphoning mentality roam unfettered in our social and political space. The little independence we have as a geo-political zone and prevailing underdevelopment herein with all the billions of Naira accruing to her through federal allocation gives us a tip of the iceberg. Our problem is not chiefly abridged political control, it is a distorted operational paradigm in many of us and the absence of the willpower to bring to the doorstep of our brothers and sisters the dividends of qualitative leadership. In other words, Nigeria is not entirely the problem. We are essentially the problem.

Furthermore, taking a cue from how our political progenitors and nationalists pursued the independence of our country Nigeria is strategic and vital. Going by historical records, they didn't employ the violence approach to negotiate Nigeria's independence with the British empire but rather diplomatic approach. Carrying treason-decorated placards as well as hoisting the Biafran flag, and causing gridlocks on roads will never bring about the manifestation of the self-rule dream.

However, as far as military and financial machinery is concerned, Nigeria is far ahead of any dissident group within her. The bloody Nigerian Civil war of 1967-1970 which saw the surging Biafran empire fall buttresses this. And the recent arrest of the the supposed Biafran leader crystallizes this point even better. Feigning ignorance of this and the non-readiness of Biafra to take shape would demonstrate that Biafran apologists have not learned from history and are not interested in fostering the interests of those they fight for.

Kaycee Naze,
Concerned Nigerian.
in a just society power is supposed to reside with the majority. So if the majority of igbos want Biafra I don't see how this your rant is supposed to make any sense.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Dedetwo(m): 1:38am On Jan 18, 2017
Kayceenaz:

Kaycee Naze,
Concerned Nigerian.

I do not know where certain jerks pull the idea that the zeal behind the quest for a home land is to make social problems disappear into the air. A small homogeneous country can manage its problem better than large heterogeneous country predicated on fake unity such as Nigeria. Nobody is suggesting a country without issues instead a country with manageable problems. Nigeria has any problem imaginable.
Re: Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression by Cjrane2: 2:03am On Jan 18, 2017
It is untrue that any tribe would be worse off outside Nigeria than within it.

Nigeria is a corruption ridden hellhole that nothing works. Hell actually works better than Nigeria in many instances. At least, there will be constant fuel and light there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is That Only The President Uses Military Aide D' Camp? / In My State Anambra It's A Taboo To Wish Someone Happy Independent Lol / Apc Ward Congress In Rivers State Go Bloody As Ameachi & Magnus Supporters Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.