Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? (1183 Views)

How Is Your Experience With The New "Google GO" App? / New Google Datally App Help You Save Data, Track Wifi And More / Google Pixel 2 And Pixel 2 XL: Photos, Specs, Prices And More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by klinro(m): 8:59am On Oct 05, 2016
Nexus is dead. Pixel is king. Say hello to the Google Pixel, a handset ushering in a new era of the search giant's smartphone range.

It arrives alongside the larger (and even more expensive) Google Pixel XL, as the firm doubles up on devices for another year.

The Pixel takes over from 2015's Nexus 5X as the smaller offering in Google's lineup. The thing is, it hasn't inherited its predecessor's price point, with the new Pixel sporting a decidedly more premium tag.

If you've owned a Google-brand smartphone in the past you'll appreciate the no-nonsense stock Google interface – and you'll be glad to know it's business as usual on the Pixel when it comes to the Android Nougat operating system.

For those who are new to Google's handsets, things may be less clear. While HTC is the firm that has actually built the device, the search giant has had a big say in what goes into the Pixel, and how it operates.

These handsets are aimed to showcase the best of Google and Android. They pack new features not seen before on the platform (Google Assistant and a best-in-class camera in the Pixel's case), and you'll be first in line for an update when a new version of Android is launched – usually weeks, if not months ahead of the likes of Samsung, LG, Sony and co.

The Google Pixel sports a first for Google's smaller smartphone – a full glass and metal body – along with a 5-inch full HD display, Snapdragon 821 processor, 4GB of RAM, 12MP rear camera, fingerprint scanner and 8MP front snapper.

On paper at least then, the Google Pixel looks to be a flagship contender – but can it live up to the hype in real life?

The design is premium, if not slightly odd. There's a metal body, but Google (and manufacturer HTC) has added a block of glass around the fingerprint scanner and camera on the rear. While it gives the Pixel a different look, the glass finish does look and feel a little like plastic.

Early verdict

The Google Pixel is a solid smartphone, but it takes a different direction to previous Nexus handsets. Its loftier price point means it's now under real pressure to perform extremely well in all respects, and it remains to be seen if it can live up to its on-paper potential. Get more information from Palmchat today

Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Mafia4life(m): 9:16am On Oct 05, 2016
Still a Nexus to me since Google don't own a hardware manufacturing unit for their smartphones... Arghhhhhh!!!! Must these cats partner with existing OEM to get their hardware manufactured? iPhone controls their hardware and sofftware.. HTC did the device jor...
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by klinro(m): 9:19am On Oct 05, 2016
Mafia4life:
Still a Nexus to me since Google don't own a hardware manufacturing unit for their smartphones... Arghhhhhh!!!! Must these cats partner with existing OEM to get their hardware manufactured? iPhone controls their hardware and sofftware.. HTC did the device jor...

I think Google do not want to go into hardware for some reasons best know to them
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Mafia4life(m): 10:43am On Oct 06, 2016
klinro:

I think Google do not want to go into hardware for some reasons best know to them

They bought Motorola for that purpose and sold it to lenovo... Why that crazy move?
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 06, 2016
Mafia4life:

They bought Motorola for that purpose and sold it to lenovo... Why that crazy move?

Patents bro

2 Likes

Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by cidymiki: 11:36am On Oct 06, 2016
Google's new Pixel phone includes a dedicated adapter to transfer transfer data from iPhone,Android to Google Pixel Phone

When you have purchase a new Google Pixel phone.Here is the guide teach you how to use Google Quick Switch Adapter to Transfer Data from iPhone,Android to Google Pixel phone

According to Google, the new Google Pixel phones ship with a dedicated Switch capability that allows users to transfer contacts, calendar events, photos, videos, music, SMS messages, iMessages and more from one device to the other. Android Police indicates that the Quick Switch Adapter is a dedicated On the Go adapter that will ship within the Pixel box, which Google confirms within its Pixel specs page.

Learn more:

Backup and Restore Google Pixel Data
Backup your Pixel data,and restore all backup files stored on computer to your Pixel.
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by shiftback: 12:26pm On Oct 06, 2016
Mafia4life:

Apple do not manufacture their hardware, foxconn handles their hardware.

1 Like

Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by martineverest(m): 4:07pm On Oct 06, 2016
pixel is DOA...google want brands like iphones,ipad,galaxy and surface.those brands are standard and premium,unlike pixel( chromebook,tablets and now,phones) that is know for its less premium value
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by tuopian: 9:36am On Oct 07, 2016
Mobile Switch, a professional data transfer program to sync all data from Android / iOS devices to Pixel or Pixel XL, including contacts, SMS, call logs, photos, videos, calendar, music, apps and so on. What’s more, the program allow to export all data from Pixel to PC for backup, and restore data from backup to Pixel with one click. It is able to help you permanently erase all data on Android phone quickly and safely.

Related Details:
Switch all data from Android to Pixel
Switch all data from Nexus to Pixel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42uP4ovH6g
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 07, 2016
I don't see this phone becoming popular. Its got limitation and too expensive. The 32gb version is $650 (about N280k). And then the 128gb version is almost $1,000. Wtf. No sd card support, so if 32gb is too small for u then u have to shell out about 400k to get the 128gb version. Why couldn't they make a 64gb version or just include sd card support? Does google think they are Apple? Only Apple can make such things and get away with it because they have no competition. If u like iOS u must buy the iphone. But there are gazillion Android phones out there to choose from with specs better than the pixel and at same or even cheaper price.

Also the design is not too appealing, it is not as gorgeous as samsung and htc phones, I dont rely see anything special about the phone except Android 7.1 which will eventually get to other phones manufacturers will start shipping phones with Android 7.1.
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Mafia4life(m): 7:55am On Oct 08, 2016
greenhulk:
I don't see this phone becoming popular. Its got limitation and too expensive. The 32gb version is $650 (about N280k). And then the 128gb version is almost $1,000. Wtf. No sd card support, so if 32gb is too small for u then u have to shell out about 400k to get the 128gb version. Why couldn't they make a 64gb version or just include sd card support? Does google think they are Apple? Only Apple can make such things and get away with it because they have no competition. If u like iOS u must buy the iphone. But there are gazillion Android phones out there to choose from with specs better than the pixel and at same or even cheaper price.

Also the design is not too appealing, it is not as gorgeous as samsung and htc phones, I dont rely see anything special about the phone except Android 7.1 which will eventually get to other phones manufacturers will start shipping phones with Android 7.1.
Kudos..

Join our family bro. Meet with our old lovers of tech. Click on my monikaz. You are needed.
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by klinro(m): 11:39am On Oct 18, 2016
Mafia4life:

No mind them. They saw it was not easy doing hardware
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 18, 2016
Hello Gionee phones users i need your advises i mistakenly cut my Gionee M3 Mini power switch on & off flex and the phone cannot be on again and i have tried all my best to get it repair even Gionee Service center but they told me i will have to pay N7,500 for new touch pad because it has crack before they can fix it and i don't have such amount of money so am thinking of doing automatic switch on for the phone
is it a good or bad idea from me
before i do it
Re: The New Google Pixel: A Brilliant Iphone Rival? by klinro(m): 2:35pm On Oct 18, 2016
Iamtosignno:
Hello Gionee phones users i need your advises i mistakenly cut my Gionee M3 Mini power switch on & off flex and the phone cannot be on again and i have tried all my best to get it repair even Gionee Service center but they told me i will have to pay N7,500 for new touch pad because it has crack before they can fix it and i don't have such amount of money so am thinking of doing automatic switch on for the phone
is it a good or bad idea from me
before i do it
tHIS IS NOT A gionee thread joor

(1) (Reply)

Is Do Not Disturb To 2442 A SCAM?? / Tecno Nairalanders In The House!!!! / Top 5 Best Xiaomi Phones 2017 – Specification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.