Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,525 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? (2980 Views)

Access Bank Hiring - Bsc+ Msc / Mba Or Msc / Mba Or Msc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? by justyn3x(m): 7:10am On Dec 26, 2006
Hello House?

I really need your help with this job and career change!

Should i go for MSc or MBA?

I studied geophysics but have only been able to serve in the finance sector since I graduated.

Even my CV is so unscientific, please trow ur professional criticism here.

Thanks.
Re: Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? by Tzar(m): 7:05am On Dec 29, 2006
To start with, if you are going abroad for ur PG degree, I advice u go 4 an MBA ($25000/15000 pounds). However if money contraints arise, opt 4 ur M.SC abroad, especially if u hv to chose between an M.Sc abroad and MBA/M.Sc in Nigeria. This is because Nigerian employers will kill 4 ANY relevant degree that comes 4rm outside Nigeria.
I u r considering a Nigerian degree, well my advice is that u should go 4 an MBA. I assume that u were refering to an M.Sc in a science based discipline. Frankly, Nigeria is turning out to be a service economy. all the R&D, production, and other technical stuff is either done by expartriates or imported 4rm abroad.
The sector that is really booming is tha service sector, there is nothing going on in the real sector. what they use scientists like you for is to manage people and products that others have developed. Even if you get a job that will let u practise, u will later on be asked to go and earn an MBA. Why not do it now.
Also an MBA will not only widen you chances of getting a good job, you can also negotiate better pay. the current labour market trend is for employer to see MBA as an added/better advantage over any other degree/ M.Sc . Why not give urself that leverage.
However, I will advise that you do
Re: Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? by Tzar(m): 7:10am On Dec 29, 2006
If u hv decided to earn a Nigerian degree, this is food for thot:
I attended U.I for my 1st degree and spent 5 years earning a 2:2 that did not make me fair better than other graduates that went to schools rated lower than U.I. Worse still, I have a friend that went to UNAD for his 1st degree and MBA (those who know the school are aware of how he may have got the degrees) he works for a FMCG org. and earns one of the best salaries around. A friend of mine also has an MBA marketing from OOU, he now works for NOKIA in Nigeria, he sometimes nets 400000 monthly (salary+commission). Most of my friends in good banks and companies like guinness, Celtel, Glo et cetera, have FUTA MBA and are doing very well.
Whence, I resolved that instead of going to UNILAG to pay through my nose (380,000), or U.I where I'm required to have 5yrs mgt experience and pay 180,000/session., or OAU where I may not graduate in 4yrs doing a masters, I will rather go to FUTA to pay 150,000for the entire programme. Believe me, I feel fulfilled because I believe i am truely earning a degree.
After working for about 2 years (in Nigeria), I discovered that employers don't give 2 shits about any Nigerian university degree you have. As long as you have a good grade -2:1 and preferably a 1st class- or PG degree that you can defend. I have a friend that had to pay 30,000 naira to get a 2:1 Business Administration in UNAD . Although he paid to get it, he is naturally intelligent, so he defended it and got a very lucrative job in a leading bank. Mind you if you don't pay, you get dropped to a 2:2 (he told me that).
My conclusion/advice is that as long as you want to work here in Nigeria and you aint going abroad for an MBA or a good M.Sc, then ANY university in Nigeria will do to obtain an MBA.
Re: Change Of Career: Mba Or Msc? by stephano100(m): 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
Tzar:
If u hv decided to earn a Nigerian degree, this is food for thot:
I attended U.I for my 1st degree and spent 5 years earning a 2:2 that did not make me fair better than other graduates that went to schools rated lower than U.I. Worse still, I have a friend that went to UNAD for his 1st degree and MBA (those who know the school are aware of how he may have got the degrees) he works for a FMCG org. and earns one of the best salaries around. A friend of mine also has an MBA marketing from OOU, he now works for NOKIA in Nigeria, he sometimes nets 400000 monthly (salary+commission). Most of my friends in good banks and companies like guinness, Celtel, Glo et cetera, have FUTA MBA and are doing very well.
Whence, I resolved that instead of going to UNILAG to pay through my nose (380,000), or U.I where I'm required to have 5yrs mgt experience and pay 180,000/session., or OAU where I may not graduate in 4yrs doing a masters, I will rather go to FUTA to pay 150,000for the entire programme. Believe me, I feel fulfilled because I believe i am truely earning a degree.
After working for about 2 years (in Nigeria), I discovered that employers don't give 2 shits about any Nigerian university degree you have. As long as you have a good grade -2:1 and preferably a 1st class- or PG degree that you can defend. I have a friend that had to pay 30,000 naira to get a 2:1 Business Administration in UNAD . Although he paid to get it, he is naturally intelligent, so he defended it and got a very lucrative job in a leading bank. Mind you if you don't pay, you get dropped to a 2:2 (he told me that).
My conclusion/advice is that as long as you want to work here in Nigeria and you aint going abroad for an MBA or a good M.Sc, then ANY university in Nigeria will do to obtain an MBA.
I love this post, had to qoute it even if its from 10 years ago

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Diamond Fresh Graduate Trainee / ETOP NIG LTD. Who Knows about them. ? / God will do it

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.