Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,886 members, 7,810,405 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners (935 Views)

Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt / How Will The Guns Given To Thugs Be Collected / Military Captures Armoured Vehicles, Artillery Guns Overnight (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by Eeyore(m): 6:18pm On Oct 17, 2009
winners of a quiz organised by Somali Islamists have been given weapons and ammunition as prizes.

Prizes included AK-47 assault rifles, hand grenades and an anti-tank mine.

The quiz ran during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan in the port city of Kismayo, and included questions about the Koran and Somali geography.

A representative for the al-Shabab militant group said the quiz aimed to stop young men from wasting their time and focus on defending their territory.

"The reason the young men were rewarded with weapons is to encourage them to participate in the ongoing holy war against the enemies of Allah in Somalia," AFP news agency quoted al-Shabab's Sheikh Abdullahi Alhaq as saying at Friday's prize-giving ceremony.

The winning team, from the city's Farjano district, reportedly won a rifle, two grenades, a landmine and office supplies worth $1,000 (£613).

But the runners-up did not go home empty-handed, taking away an AK-47 and bullets.

Al-Shabab and other Islamist rebels accused of having links to al-Qaeda dominate much of southern and central Somalia, where they have imposed strict Sharia law.

The country last had a functioning central government in 1991.

A weak UN-backed government runs only parts of the capital, Mogadishu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8312447.stm
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by vanitty: 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2009
cheesy cheesy joy to the world
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by 9ijaprince(m): 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2009
Why not give them submarine ships, nuclear weapon, biological weapon. Etc
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by puskin: 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2009
Im off 2go participate in the next quiz so I can earn myself some weapons of mass destruction.
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by bawomolo(m): 8:51pm On Oct 17, 2009
lol
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2009
Topic got ma d.ick laughing hard. . . grin grin grin
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by bibiking1(m): 11:10pm On Oct 17, 2009
This is just insane!, and funny also
I bet the winners had absolutely no choice but to recieve the fruit of their labor
Re: Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners by Nobody: 1:56am On Oct 18, 2009
God is great, !

(1) (Reply)

Banks To Sack 5,000 This Week / Is President Yaradua Dead? / I’m Fed Up With Lies About Yar’adua – Dora Akunyili’s Latest Bombshell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.