Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,551 members, 7,955,053 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:32 PM

FIFA President Backs Expanding World Cup Teams To 48 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA President Backs Expanding World Cup Teams To 48 (369 Views)

Mikel, Neymar, Ronaldo & Iniesta Welcome Teams To Russia (Video) / 2018 World Cup Teams Complete As Peru Book Last Spot / Joao Havelange, Ex-FIFA President Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FIFA President Backs Expanding World Cup Teams To 48 by PetmaxFlame: 12:33pm On Oct 06, 2016
FIFA president Gianni Infantino confirmed in an exclusive interview with AFP on Thursday that he backs expanding the World Cup teams to 48, giving “more of a chance to more teams”. Infantino believes “a fundamental point” for an expanded finals would be to have it co-hosted “by several countries”.

He also declared himself “quite happy and confident for the future” of the scandal-tainted world governing body of football. “Nobody is perfect, I am the last to be. But I don’t steal, I don’t profit, I don’t cheat and I don’t want to allow anyone in this organisation to do so,” he said.
Infantino, 46, succeeded the disgraced Sepp Blatter at the head of FIFA, and is determined to stamp his own authority on the job as president and on the sport’s future. He had already suggested that he would be in favour of a 40-team World Cup, up from the current 32.

“We can consider a World Cup of 48 teams which would in fact be a 32-team format because we have seen that the ideal format is 32 teams,” explained Infantino. “The idea would be that the best 16 teams in qualifying would qualify directly for the group phase.”

READ MORE: http://www.petmaxflame.com/2016/10/fifa-president-backs-expanding-world.html

(1) (Reply)

Jose Mourinho Made The Wrong Choice By Going Back To Chelsea / Arsenal 2 – Burnley 1: Alexis Sanchez Penalty Seals Dramatic Win At Emirates / Arsene Wenger : How We Will Respond To Shock Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.