Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War (13744 Views)

Nigeria: Tribal War Looms In Edo State / Breaking Tribal Hegemony In States / Breaking Tribal Hegemony In States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Abagworo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
ow11:

@becom(e)rich,.

Help yourself to this website [url]http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Ijoid/Ijoid%20page.htm[/url]

It has a lovely map to cater for your carthographic fixation and does dispel some of the nonsense logic you write on this forum. You are saying you know Ijaw more than an Ijaw person. . . I just wonder!!

Silvia Kouwenbourg wrote an article linking a near extinct language in Guyana to Kalabari( a dialect of Ijaw). Kalabari like Okrika is a dialect of Ijaw and should have differences with the main Kolokuma found in Bayelsa state.

Meanwhile, Okrika has more words in common with Kolokuma than Igbo (and everyone knows why that is). Okrika is NOT a tribe on its own . . . .It is a sub group of Ijaw!

Let me give you an example. . Alamieyeseigha in Kalabari would be Alamieyesiya and in Okrika would be Alamieyesika. . . .Do you see a difference in spelling and possible pronunciation doesn't remove the real meaning

don't waste your time on these know-alls.i once opened up a thread on why igbos and ijaws should unite and they turned it from political to tribal.

@ow11.ijaw just like igbo is balkanized whether you like it or not.sub-groups are now ethnic groups and love it that way.the wise ones know the truth while the naive ones believe the grand lies perpetuated by northerners to control them and their resources.visit the kalabari thread in culture and notice where kalabaris denied ijaw.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 19, 2009
Ikwerre's have always contested that they are not IGBOS, so why is the author referring to them as IGBOS??

please change the topic to Ikwerre vs Ijaw and dont bring Igbos to this fight
thank you
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Afam(m): 2:49pm On Oct 19, 2009
kaecy5:

Ikwerre's have always contested that they are not IGBOS, so why is the author referring to them as IGBOS??

please change the topic to Ikwerre vs Ijaw and dont bring Igbos to this fight
thank you

I guess the author knows the fact because they are their neighbors in the same state so should know their correct ethnic group.

It does not matter that an Ikwerre man may claim not to be Igbo. We know the facts.

Remember that people become Igbo when it is convenient for the people labeling them.

For example, the first military coup was led by Nzeogwu from the Mid West but all references by Nigeria to justify the senseless massacre of Igbos especially in the north referred to Nzeogwu as Igbo.

Sounds familiar?
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by phantom(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2009
It beats me how a group of people collectively decide to decieve themselves, ikwerres are ibos, the okrikas,kalabaris,opobo,bonny are boderline ijaws grin, i.e ibos with a stronger ijaw influence or should i say mixed blend,
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by ow11(m): 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2009
phantom:

It beats me how a group of people collectively decide to decieve themselves, ikwerres are ibos, the okrikas,kalabaris,opobo,bonny are boderline ijaws grin, i.e ibos with a stronger ijaw influence or should i say mixed blend,

The statement should have read thus, Ijaws with Igbo Influence (Especially Bonny and Okrika).
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
Afam:

For example, the first military coup was led by Nzeogwu from the Mid West but all references by Nigeria to justify the senseless massacre of Igbos especially in the north referred to Nzeogwu as Igbo.

Sounds familiar?

very beautiful quote
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2009
Look, I am still not sure that Okrika is Ijaw. Look. I have run the Okrika with the Ijaw dictionary  and also run it with Nembe dictionary. 

It is hard to believe that Okrika is Ijaw.

Even simple word like tara which mean loves that every nigerian knows in Ijaw does not mean love in Okrika. kùròchíbělémà or belema that is what love in Okrika. How can the languages be the same. There is someone here from River state with a master degree , he said they are not ijaw but an ethnics group of its own. that most non small non igbo ethnics group would rather prefered to be called Ijo than been refered to as igbos during the fight against igbos people in the east.  According to this person they need the ijaws to fight for them since they are smaller. So every small ethnic group rather refered to themself as Ijaw than igbo because of oppression.  same thing in the north were every small ethnics group is refered to as hausas. even when they are not. Do you know fulani and hausa share same words, but they are different ethnics group. I think Okrika are Okrika people, Ijaws are Ijaws. If you can look at that Okrika dictionary and get up to 21% of the word to be Ijaw. May be I may change my mind. But at this moment Okrika are Okrika people, Ijaws are Ijaws people.

And looking at the words in the dictionary, Okrika is far apart from Ijaw word, it does not look the same.  some word may, but mores are not, it is like hausa and yoruba apart. The word mama is used by several ethnics group all over the word.   Look here are example

Look human being is call keme in ijo but in Okrika , it is call tomb'bo  . How does that look like dialet to you. In a dialet. Spelling may be different by one or 2 letter or  differently pronounced. Something is wrong here. It is either some people are telling a lie or something is wrong.  Here is it, run all the ijo into Okrika, you would see that it look likes Hausa against Yoruba words. They do not mean the same.  They mostly are not igbo word. My mistake when I said 70% igbos. But large igbo word.    Does any Hausa dialet sound like Igbo to you.

Ijaw dictionary

http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/index.php?show=T

Okrika dictionary.

http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Ijoid/KIRIKE%20dictionary.pdf

Look go and ask Jonathan(ijaw) or Dokubo(ijaw) if they understand what this Okrika words belows means.  Look no matter how a yoruba man speak a dialet of Yoruba, I would have an idea what he is saying. But when normal average Ijaw man does not even make sense of Okrika and Afam  an igboman is telling the meaning of okrika words and all this igbo online can explain what this Okrika words means, what does that tell you about the Okrika man,  Jonathan and Dokubo need interprenter to understand to this words in the Okrika dictionary.

Now I have a question, how would the Okrikas  give thier city Igbo look alike names , and not Ijaws is that not telling us a story Can someone tell me how. it looks like Okrika are Okrika people, Ijaws are Ijaws people.

And why did Isaac Boro, not decleared the republic of Niger Delta in Port Harcourt, but Yenagoa

The other time you came up with Igbos are from Ijebu igbo. ?

This are Okrika word. They do not look like ijaw. All this word, are not ijaw.

chá
chákácháká
chákárápù
chákpòm
chámā

chárátātāmâ
ché

chèbù
chèchèétùò=chèch
ètùbò

chéì

chès
chètì
chèyè'
Chèyèéábǔosò
chèyègósè

chían
chíanmā

chíẹchí
chíẹchíẹchìẹ

chíẹkírí
chíẹkórū

chíẹmâ
chìẹmàchíẹmá

chíẹmágbín
chíẹsímè
chíkíchíkí
chíkíchíkíb.a
chìkìrìchíkírí
chín n stick
chìn-àrú=chìànrú
chì'n
chíná

chíngbó

chìnpíkī
chínpúmbúrò
chìnsàpú
chírā
chìrá

chírāpū
chìrì
chírì

chírómā
chìsá
chìtà
choò
chóchì

chóm-chòm-chóm
chókò

chú
chû

chúá
chúá
chù'à
chúachìè
chúagbín
chúajíkā
chúan
chúapíkī
chúasîn
chúayé
chúkán
chúkō
chúkú
Chúkwúàbìamà
chúkúchúa
chúkúchúayé
chúkúfórù'
Chúkúní
chúkúrúmā

chúumú
chúná
ch'puǒ
chuò`
chuò`fûn
chù'ọgbó
chùràchùrá a.
chùràmàá
chúrú
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
Even gullah in the USA, which is nearly 9000 miles away and 200 years old they left africa, still look yoruba. While the one 20 km from ijo land is different. Somebody is playing game.

Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by AloyEmeka6: 9:40pm On Oct 19, 2009
becomrich,:

Even gullah in the USA, which is nearly 9000 miles away and 200 years old they left africa, still look yoruba. While the one 20 km from ijo land is different. Somebody is playing game.

Is that where Michelle Obama is from? Gullah-Yoruba ethnic group of Illinois?
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Abagworo(m): 10:51pm On Oct 19, 2009
becomrich,:

you never miss making unfounded claims.let me ask this.

apart from those with tribal marks,is it easy to distinguish between yorubas and igbos?nigerian artist banky w. looks igbo to you.mariam babangida looks hausa.those things are just mere psyche.the difference between ijaws in bayelsa and those in rivers is just that the later has more occurence of slightly fair people.but all nigerians look alike.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 11:49pm On Oct 19, 2009
Chúkwúàbìamà

look at that word. Even me that is yoruba, can that is pure igbo. Anything chukwu in Nigeria, it belong to una people. Igbo kwenu.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by udezue(m): 11:55pm On Oct 19, 2009
lol @ Becomerich so I guess now Ijo is ur new obsession. Igbos should breathe sigh of relief we are not the ones you are questioning about our background. Whether Okrika ppl are Chinese no be ur business and you aint getting anything out of it so leave em alone. jeeezzzz
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by udezue(m): 1:40am On Oct 20, 2009
We don't need Ijo and Igbo clashing over a freaking swamp so I hope Amaechi takes care of the situation. God bless em all.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by naijaking1: 4:28am On Oct 20, 2009
Am still waiting for an Ikwerre side of this story
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 11:16am On Oct 20, 2009
it does  not look like Okrika.

Look for the kalabari man, we give them the coast, all kalabari people is easy to get to Republic of Benin. see map.

Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 11:41am On Oct 20, 2009
Tom Ateke is Okrika man. If you ask Tom Ateke the meaning of Chúkwúàbìamà, he would tell you the meaning. You would notice he was the first to meet yar Adua because he believes he is not an Ijaw man.  So believe me. Dont get 419.  This word are not Ijaw word.

And that why the Icelanders lead by Tom Ateke an Okrika man was responsible for rigging Odili and others to become governor of river state. Have you ask why they did not rig for Ijaw men. But for only Igbo like people. Tom Ateke and Okrika people see themself as Igbo not ijaw. Is just everybody want oil and money.

chá
chákácháká
chákárápù
chákpòm
chámā

chárátātāmâ
ché

chèbù
chèchèétùò=chèch
ètùbò

chéì

chès
chètì
chèyè'
Chèyèéábǔosò
chèyègósè

chían
chíanmā

chíẹchí
chíẹchíẹchìẹ

chíẹkírí
chíẹkórū

chíẹmâ
chìẹmàchíẹmá

chíẹmágbín
chíẹsímè
chíkíchíkí
chíkíchíkíb.a
chìkìrìchíkírí
chín n stick
chìn-àrú=chìànrú
chì'n
chíná

chíngbó

chìnpíkī
chínpúmbúrò
chìnsàpú
chírā
chìrá

chírāpū
chìrì
chírì

chírómā
chìsá
chìtà
choò
chóchì

chóm-chòm-chóm
chókò

chú
chû

chúá
chúá
chù'à
chúachìè
chúagbín
chúajíkā
chúan
chúapíkī
chúasîn
chúayé
chúkán
chúkō
chúkú
Chúkwúàbìamà
chúkúchúa
chúkúchúayé
chúkúfórù'
Chúkúní
chúkúrúmā

chúumú
chúná
ch'puǒ
chuò`
chuò`fûn
chù'ọgbó
chùràchùrá a.
chùràmàá
chúrú
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by ow11(m): 11:56am On Oct 20, 2009
Oya becomerich, you are too funny. . . I like the way you come to your conclusions however,

What is the meaning of Ateke in Igbo?

What does prayer mean in Ijaw?
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Abagworo(m): 12:08pm On Oct 20, 2009
@ow11.just ignore that man.igbos say adia ibua awi ara.(2 persons no dey mad thesame time)
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by complove: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2009
Owl1, that no bi excuse. my friend who bi igbo name is Ateke.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2009
Ateke in yoruba is also a yoruba word.
Okrika people were the first people to start importing and selling  second cloth in Nigeria. And go and ask any nigerian, what language were they speaking. they would tell you it was not Ijaw but Igbo. They were speaking Igbo.

And anywhere in nigeria, they call second hand cloth Okrika.

Have you seen any nigerian call second hand cloth by the name Ijaw before, No. It goes by Okrika.

I have to go , see you later in the day. when i come back.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by ow11(m): 1:20pm On Oct 20, 2009
Abagworo:

@ow11.just ignore that man.igbos say adia ibua awi ara.(2 persons no dey mad thesame time)

I probably would have to. He seems to 'know' a lot about RV state. Abagworo do you know why 2nd handed clothes are called Okrika? Becomerich's reason is entirely wrong.

complove:

Owl1, that no bi excuse. my friend who bi igbo name is Ateke.

True. . . I can be an Igbo man and name my child Ahmed. However, Ateke is a typical RV name and the meaning is obvious to any Ijaw speaker.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Dede1(m): 6:56pm On Oct 20, 2009
becomrich,:

Ateke in yoruba is also a yoruba word.
Okrika people were the first people to start importing and selling second cloth in Nigeria. And go and ask any nigerian, what language were they speaking. they would tell you it was not Ijaw but Igbo. They were speaking Igbo.

And anywhere in nigeria, they call second hand cloth Okrika.

Have you seen any nigerian call second hand cloth by the name Ijaw before, No. It goes by Okrika.

I have to go , see you later in the day. when i come back.

This is a conjectural nonsense. The Abriba folks were first to import second hand clothing into Nigeria as well as West Africa. As for the Okrika being referred as second hand clothing goes beyond the history of Okrika but Ijo in general.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by ow11(m): 8:21pm On Oct 20, 2009
Dede1:

This is a conjectural nonsense. The Abriba folks were first to import second hand clothing into Nigeria as well as West Africa. As for the Okrika being referred as second hand clothing goes beyond the history of Okrika but Ijo in general.

I did learn that during the civil war, used clothings were distributed to Biafran civilians by relief agencies and the clothes came via Okrika. Is this true?
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 12:02am On Oct 21, 2009
Even the writer of  Orkirika dictionary stated that Okrika was an ethnics group of its own. Not a clan of the ijaw. And he compare the language to Ijo, igbo and others

Now I know what the problem is. In the dictionary the writer stated that Okrika is a mix of serveral nigeria languages. That there are 15 languages that make up Okrika. I believe it is because port harcourt is a multi ethnics city / here are the list of the languages in Orkirika

Ikwere , ijaw , igbo, ogoni, english,efik, hausa,Ibibios yoruba ,ibani, ataba, kabari ,owu, yasikima ,andoni
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Dede1(m): 12:22am On Oct 21, 2009
ow11:

I did learn that during the civil war, used clothings were distributed to Biafran civilians by relief agencies and the clothes came via Okrika. Is this true?

The act of referring second hand clothing as Okrika preceded the Nigeria/Biafra civil. It would not be surprise if Okrika people really embarked on smuggling second hand clothing into Biafra as a token toward the war effort on the part of Biafra. The relationship between Ndigbo and Okrirka is above the politics of divide and rule the outsiders have tried to inject.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 1:22am On Oct 21, 2009
the idea of calling second and cloth Orkirika was because they would say, "you want go by from Orkirka" who were the seller. Most time people dont know thier name but thier ethnics group.

The yorubas would call every northerner "Aboki" , which means friend. from the hausa word for friend. while the yoruba man would call every igboman , Una. From the igbo word which mean "brother".
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by becomrich15: 2:01am On Oct 21, 2009
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by complove: 8:46pm On Oct 25, 2009
u run
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by mekuslogan: 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2009
Complove=Becomerich grin grin
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by Nobody: 5:55am On May 27, 2011
:-x
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by autoKay: 5:49am On May 09, 2013
Aloy~Emeka:
His Excellency Musa Umaru Yaradua

THREAT TO STAMP OUR COMMUNITIES OUT OF EXISTENCE:  SAVE OUR SOULS (SOS) BY THE OKRIKA-IJAWS OF PORT HARCOURT

The recent announcement by Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State that he would demolish all the waterfront settlements in Port Harcourt, has caused a hysterical wave of emotion to sweep across the length and breadth of Rivers State.  This thunderous announcement to people of Port Harcourt, and indeed, the whole of Rivers State, is a signal that a different type of conflict is about to kick off in the Niger Delta.  We are tired of conflicts in this part, and because we want peace in our homes, we are forwarding this petition to you to save our lives.

2. Since the creation of Rivers State in 1967 with Port Harcourt as its capital there has been a lingering woeful misunderstanding between the Ikwerre-Ibos and Okrika-Ijaws over Port Harcourt.  It is the root of the upland/riverine politicio-tribal dichotomy in the State for some time, though different Governors used political and administrative skill to keep it under control until now when an Ikwerre-Ibo Governor appeared on the scene.

3. For a clearer understanding of our dilemma permit us to give in brief the history of Port Harcourt, the source of the continuing conflict between the Okrika-Ijaws and the Ikwerre-Ibos.  In 1908 when coal was discovered in Enugu, the Colonial Authorities decided to establish a sea-port and railway terminus in these parts to facilitate its export.  Chief Daniel Oju Kalio, the Paramount Ruler of Okrika at the time co-operated and negotiated with them for the acquisition of land for the purpose.  He convinced the residents of the several Okrika villages in the area to surrender their land, assuring them that their interests would be protected not merely by way of monetary compensation but also in terms of adequate arrangement for resettlement in the neighbourhood.   

4. Because the Colonial Government wanted more land than the Okrika-Ijaws could give, the negotiation for the acquisition was extended to the neighbouring Ikwerre-Ibos villages, who, along with the Okrika-Ijaws, eventually executed the 1913 Port Harcourt Agreement with the Colonial officials.  Please find attached a copy of the 1913    Port Harcourt Agreement.

5. In view of the fact that the Okrika-Ijaws had more of the        Port Harcourt land, involving over 25 of their villages, they also received more than the Ikwerre-Ibos (Diobu people and five other villages), of the money paid by the Colonial Authorities, on the acquired land.  And for precisely the same reason, their Paramount Ruler, Chief Daniel Oju Kalio was the Native Ruler appointed to be In-Charge of the whole area as British Colonial Agent, in keeping with the Dual Mandate System of Indirect Rule at the time.

6. The British Colonial Authorities also made arrangement for the resettlement of the displaced natives.  For the Ikwerre-Ibos (the people of Diobu) a place was bought from Omo-Eme (Rumueme) for the new Diobu town and farms because they were farmers.  For the displaced Okrika-Ijaws (the people of Obumuton Chiri) a place was bought too for them from the people of Eleme, but being fishermen, there were no seas or rivers close by for their fishing activities.  This was the crux of their problem.  Thus, whereas the Ikwerre-Ibos of Diobu accepted their new site bought for them, the Okrika-Ijaws of Obumuton Chiri, refused what was bought to resettle them because it was different from their traditional riverine environment in which they could undertake their main economic activity, fishing.  Besides, it was not contiguous with other Okrika-Ijaw settlements.  And so, they decided to stay at the Waterfronts of their original homestead in their respective villages, and have remained there ever since 1913, a period of 97 years.

7. It is rather unfortunate that the Colonial Authorities at the time made no alternative arrangement for the displaced Okrika-Ijaws of Obumuton Chiri.  They failed to understand the plight of the native people whose land had been acquired under what we may describe as abnormal circumstances; indeed abnormal because no community would under normal circumstances, ever agree to give out for acquisition, all of its God-given land on which they have lived from time immemorial, just on the basis of commercial transaction.  Colonialism taking such a devious turn was not only in these parts, it happened elsewhere too, especially, in the Americas and Australia.  Indeed, the colonial situation was not a normal or ordinary situation in which one could say that the scars of others ought to have taught some caution to those who agreed to the acquisition of their land. 

8. We of this generation now know why history is atimes described cynically, as a vast laboratory in which events have made countless experiments with men, with tribes, with states and even with races.  Ours is a vivid example.  Through many wrongs, through all the buffetings of hostile neighbours, we have lived along the Waterfronts of our original homestead for the past 97 years since 1913.  As Nigerians we have no other homes whatsoever but here in Port Harcourt.  And because the offsprings of the Okrika-Ijaws displaced in 1913 have regularly been denied their natural rights and have faced political marginalization in the extreme, they have with much grief and anger, acquired the name ‘Port Harcourt Aborigines (Wakirike)’.  And the worst is about to happen to them.  A man from the rival Ikwerre-Ibo ethnic group having the conflict with the Okrika-Ijaws, is about to put his political weight and authority as Governor on their side, ready to use public resources, using all manner of excuses in order to demolish our villages (the Waterfront Settlements) with a total population of about 150,000 people.   

9. There has been a deliberate plan by the Ikwerre-Ibos to stamp any traces of Okrika-Ijaws out of existence here in Port Harcourt.  First, they have tried to remove the name ‘Okrika’ given to streets/roads in       Port Harcourt.
  Right now they have through their sons in high Government positions, recommended that Okrika-Ijaw Local Government Areas should be removed from the Port Harcourt Senatorial District and be made part of the Ogoni Senatorial District. 

10. Besides, they have for long denied equal franchise to all people living in the Okrika-Ijaw area of the Port Harcourt City, that is, the area described as Port Harcourt South.  In 1991 for example, out of a total registered population of 406,738 in Port Harcourt, the Okrika-Ijaw Area numbered 212,696 i.e. about 52%, while the Ikwerre-Ibo area had a population of 194,580 i.e. about 48% at the time.  With a total of 20 Wards in Port Harcourt at the time, the average representation per ward should have been about 20,336 persons per Councilor.  That at the least would have kept representation at par (10 Councilors to 10 Councilors between the two opposing areas).  But that was not to be.  With a population of 212,696, the Okrika-Ijaw area of Port Harcourt was given only 4 Wards to produce 4 Councilors, while with a population of 194,580, the Ikwerre-Ibo area of Port Harcourt was given 14 Wards with 14 Councilors.  Even the two mixed Wards were delineated in such a way as to favour the Ikwerre-Ibos, making them to produce 16 Councilors in all as against the 4 from the Okrika-Ijaw part of            Port Harcourt.

11. With the situation as explained above, the average representation in the Ikwerre-Ibo part of Port Harcourt was one Councilor to 12,161 persons whereas in Okrika-Ijaw part of Port Harcourt, it was one Councilor to 53,174 persons.  By this inequitable and iniquitous basis of representation, the quality of the average vote in the Ikwerre-Ibo area was 1/12,161 as compared with 1/53,174 on the Okrika-Ijaw part of            Port Harcourt was slightly below one quarter (ź) of the value of the average vote in the Ikwerre-Ibo area.  And even now, that ugly and indefensible situation rather than being remedied has in fact, become worse.  Out of the current population of 541,115 in Port Harcourt, the Okrika-Ijaw area has 295,551 i.e. about 55%, whereas the Ikwerre-Ibo area has 245,564 i.e. 45%.  No matter how one looks at it politically, democratically or even morally, it represents one of the worst areas of suppression or marginalization in the history of our nation. 

12. Let us point out with a few specific examples.  One really outrageous case was that of the area consisting of Port Harcourt Township, Nembe Waterside, Gbundu (Bundu), Marine Base, Abuja Estate and Borikiri, all in the Okrika-Ijaw part of Port Harcourt.  It had a population of 130,619 but was given 3 Ward for 3 Councilors. Compare that with the Ikwerre-Ibo area of Ogbunabali and Orije with a population of 18,081 but given 4 Wards for 4 Councilors.  Also compare the situation in which the Okrika-Ijaw area of Amadi-Ama, Ukukalama, Somiari, Fimie, Azuabie, Okuru, Ozuboko and Abuloma, all with a population of 66,587 at the time was given only one Ward for one Councilor, while the Ikwerre-Ibo area also given one Ward with one Councilor was Nkpolu-Orogbum with a population of just 3,267.  It is unimaginable and in fact atrocious for people to permit such despicable disparity between citizens supposed to be equal before the law in this Country. 

13. With the situation as stated above, the Ikwerre-Ibos have controlled the Port Harcourt City Council.  While we have been grossly under-represented, they have enjoyed enormous over-representation.  With 45% of the population the Ikwerre-Ibos control the majority Okirika-Ijaw area with 55% of the population
.  And that has made them become over-bearing, often mis-using power by arbitrarily changing names of Streets bearing Okrika-Ijaw names.  The political hostility (or is it tribal hatred?) also shows itself with the invidious plans being hatched to stamp our communities here in Port Harcourt out of existence using excuses such as illegal occupation, squatting, criminal activities and what not.  They have poured on the Okrika-Ijaws the worst insults any community can ever endure for so long.  We have never complained about it.  Rather, we have concealed our anger because, as our elders say, ‘you have to hide your wounded finger, or you will bump it on everything’.  And now, not being satisfied with the political suppression and oppression, they are determined to demolish our communities because we are asking Government to create for us a      Port Harcourt South Local Government Area.  They do not want to see it happen, because they think it is inimical to their ethnic group interest, and so wish to thwart it through the proposed demolition exercise. 

14. Mr. President Sir, viewing the whole bewildering array of political variables that have helped to shape State Government policies here in Port Harcourt, we feel so much perplexed.  Despite the frustrating aspects we have explained, a consistent effort is being made by those in authority and their ethnic backers to deny the very existence of our villages/communities here in Port Harcourt.  They claim and tell the world that Waterfront Communities did not exist in Port Harcourt until the 1990’s.  In their chauvinism and determination to see these settlements wiped out, the Ikwerre-Ibos deliberately closed their eyes on facts of history in the sense of the existence of the communities as recorded more than half a Century ago (60 years to be specific).  In the Supplement to the Eastern Nigeria Gaz. No. 38 Vol. 14 dated 13th May, 1965, Pages B.129 to B.132, there were listed the following Waterfront Settlements:

www.okrikaweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/letterToPresident.doc+delta+state+politics">http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:AxPenyqNwe0J:www.okrikaweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/letterToPresident.doc+delta+state+politics%22+ibo+governor%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Why use Ikwerre-Igbos? The Ikwerres claim not to be igbos. Why not address them as Ikwerres. Or is Ikwerre not strong to stand alone? Must put Ibo when there activities does not favour u.
We igbos are watching. One of the causes of the War in 1967 was the inclusion of an Igbo Town (Port-Harcourt) into the new minority state by Gowon. And today ph and ikwerres are not longer ibo.
Re: Igbo Hegemony In PH May Brew Another Tribal War by kunlekunle: 6:29am On May 09, 2013
its not possible where ASARI dey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Onanuga To Atiku: Your Statement Is Reckless, Tinubu Is On Top Of The Situation / Electoral Disagreements Should Not Fester Beyond Polls – Fashola / Peter Obi's Children's Day Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.