Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG (1244 Views)

Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says / "$1bn Not For Anti-boko Haram War Alone" - Osinbajo Says / Dr. Ismaila Farouk Blasts Osinbajo; Says He’s No Saint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Laredojohn(m): 4:45am On Oct 07, 2016
The Secretary to the Lagos State Government, Tunji Bello, has described the President Muhammadu Buhari’s authorised biographer,Buhari,

, as a peddler of falsehood, who was on a mission to distort history and put the entire society at a disadvantage.

Bello, in a write-up on Thursday, described as sad and mischievous the claim by Paden that a national leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, was strongly opposed to the choice of Prof. Yemi Osinbajo as Buhari’s running mate in the 2015 presidential election.

He said it was surprising and painful that the distortion of history was coming not only at an early stage of the APC’s reign but also within the ruling party’s camp, adding that it would have been understandable if the falsehood had emanated from the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.

Paden, a biographer authorised by Buhari, had on Monday in Abuja publicly presented a book he titled, “Muhammadu Buhari: The Challenges of Leadership in Nigeria.”

In the book, Paden wrote that contrary to popular belief that Tinubu was the one who chose Osinbajo as Buhari’s running mate, Tinubu was actually personally interested in the position and was vehemently opposed to the choice of Osinbajo.

Paden wrote that despite much pressure from Tinubu, Buhari, however, settled for Osinbajo out of three names – Tinubu, Osinbajo and Babatunde Fashola – which were forwarded to Buhari.

But Bello, in his write-up titled, “How Tinubu nominated Osinbajo,” lambasted Paden, saying the professor’s book was “basically based on falsehood that reeks of deliberate misinformation and mischief.”

Bello, who said he was part of the process that led to the emergence of Osinbajo as Buhari’s running mate at Tinubu’s instance, wondered where Paden got his story from.

He narrated how on a Saturday morning in mid December 2014, shortly after Buhari was picked as the APC standard bearer, Tinubu arranged a meeting in an unnamed guest house in Lagos, with the then National Chairman of the APC, Chief Bisi Akande; a former Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Dele Alake; Osinbajo, an unnamed “renowned pastor,” and Bello himself in attendance.

Bello said at the meeting, Tinubu expressed the concern as to the need to pick a Christian as Buhari’s running mate because it had become unwise for the party to present a Muslim-Muslim ticket for the presidential election.

According to Bello, Akande had said Tinubu was the best candidate suited as Buhari’s  running mate, arguing that the Muslim-Muslim ticket had been fielded in Nigeria before in the case of the late MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe.

Tinubu, according to Bello, however, countered that the dynamics of politics had since changed.

He later nominated Osinbajo, who was readily accepted by the gathering based on his credential as a professor of Law, a Christian, a pastor and in view of his antecedent as a former Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Lagos State and his marriage to a granddaughter of the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

Bello said, “At the meeting, Asiwaju related to us the urgent need to pick a vice-presidential candidate for the APC. He advised that we should immediately discard the idea of his being nominated for the vice-presidential slot as it was no longer possible to pick a Muslim-Muslim ticket.

“This, he reasoned, made sense if indeed we were to be realistic in our bid to defeat President Goodluck Jonathan in the 2015 Presidential election. He reasoned that what was important and imperative at that time was to look for a good Christian nominee to complement President Muhammadu Buhari.

“I remember Baba Akande responded that he would still have preferred that Asiwaju should be the running mate since it had been done before. Baba Akande was obviously referring to the MKO Abiola/ Babagana Kingibe nomination. Asiwaju responded by distinguishing the political equation then from what was before us at that point in time. He foreclosed that scenario as no longer possible. We all voiced our opinions, and at the end of the day, it was resolved that we had to get a Christian candidate.

“It was at this point that Asiwaju reminded us to be fast in coming up with an option because he felt other geographical zones were also jostling for the same position, reiterating the need for the South-West to get it, as a must.

“Asiwaju audaciously told us that left to him, and if he were to pick anyone, he would suggest Prof. Yemi Osinbajo. That Osinbajo, apart from being a brilliant legal luminary, is also a committed progressive and democrat. And having been married to the late Obafemi Awolowo’s granddaughter, it would not be a problem selling him to the old political establishment of the South-West for acceptance.

“He asserted that Alake and myself having served in his cabinet could attest to the great works he did as the Attorney General during his (Asiwaju’) administration as governor of Lagos State. He also reasoned that the second major factor in favour of Osinbajo was the fact that he is a strong Christian and one that he is already a Pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God.

“In the long run, Osinbajo’s nomination was well received by all of us at that meeting and Prof. Osinbajo was asked to start detailing with us, further strategy sessions to which he brought out his laptop and we all commenced a brainstorming session. The rest of the discussion was to strategise on how to contain other likely opponents from the South-West zone before proceeding to Abuja to battle other regions in the coming nomination.”

Bello described as a matter of concern a situation where a renowned intellectual like Paden “would write a book and begins to redefine events in his own way by abashedly evading facts that are bellowing in the public space in order to re-create a world of make-believe for his audience.”
http://punchng.com/know-tinubu-picked-osinbajo-says-lagos-ssg/
Cc: lalasticlala
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by seunlayi(m): 4:50am On Oct 07, 2016
Keep it to yourself Mr. How well that get us out of recession

2 Likes

Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by datopaper(m): 4:56am On Oct 07, 2016
Whateva, ko kan aye
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by SouthWestBlood(m): 5:00am On Oct 07, 2016
Makes sense to me.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 5:46am On Oct 07, 2016
I blame Buhari if a Nigerian had written the Bio he would know writing that would be a big blunder, but the Prof knows nothing about Nigeria's politics
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by TPAND(f): 6:07am On Oct 07, 2016
Osinbajo has changed loyalty, he is with Sai Baba. As for Tinubu, it is not too late to start drafting the constitution of his new party

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Obijulius: 6:11am On Oct 07, 2016
All this noise makers should just keep quiet.

Buhari is a man of integrity and would not approve of that book if those words were not true. Anyone who does not agree with the President's side of the story should contact the Oba of Lagos for further advice (lagoon things)

Between Buhari and Lagos SSG who can be trusted?

#istandwithbuhari

2 Likes

Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by newguy1(m): 6:26am On Oct 07, 2016
Am scared for the youth of today. First the complain was the youth are not interested in d affairs of politics. In nigeria but now it's seems the youth have made political debacle a source of entertaiment.for me I reallyddon't care how the story came out if he was dan pained he should write is own book title THE TITAN TINUBU
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 6:29am On Oct 07, 2016
Lets assume Buhari said it, a Nigerian author would be like"baba are you sure you want to say that?" Cos even if its true its not the kind of truth you want to say at this stage, you can always write another book when you are out of office.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Babacele: 6:33am On Oct 07, 2016
Well , there are video evidences of these meetings if Mr Parden cares to know.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 6:39am On Oct 07, 2016
TPAND:
Osinbajo has changed loyalty, he is with Sai Baba. As for Tinubu, it is not too late to start drafting the constitution of his new party
newguy1:
Am scared for the youth of today. First the complain was the youth are not interested in d affairs of politics. In nigeria but now it's seems the youth have made political debacle a source of entertaiment.for me I reallyddon't care how the story came out if he was dan pained he should write is own book title THE TITAN TINUBU

Lets leave sentiments aside, you would all one day thank Tinubu. Been a political genius that he is, he still went ahead to grace the event, say good words about the book, until this end he has said nothing about that part of the book, Buhari has said nothing about that part of the book, I just want to admonish all of us to get ready, anything can/might happen, some real calculations are going on in many parts of the country. So when you rejoice remember you might be rejoicing at your lose also.

1 Like

Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by ChessEnthusiast: 7:01am On Oct 07, 2016
If Buhari could have appended his signature on a padded budget, delivered a plagiarised speech, what else can he not accept and approve - whether right or wrong? Those who tag him "dullard" may not be far from the truth.

2 Likes

Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by newguy1(m): 7:23am On Oct 07, 2016
Chanchit:

Lets leave sentiments aside, you would all one day thank Tinubu. Been a political genius that he is, he still went ahead to grace the event, say good words about the book, until this end he has said nothing about that part of the book, Buhari has said nothing about that part of the book, I just want to admonish all of us to get ready, anything can/might happen, some real calculations are going on in many parts of the country. So when you rejoice remember you might be rejoicing at your lose also.
of cause tinubu is ok not great for me u have to talk of people like Mandela n gandi to me to qualify him as great. All dis people cryin wolf for tinubu Pease what do they want us the masses to do after all he was the one playing his chess if his pawns r revolting against he should fix his problem himself
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 7:31am On Oct 07, 2016
newguy1:
of cause tinubu is ok not great for me u have to talk of people like Mandela n gandi to me to qualify him as great. All dis people cryin wolf for tinubu Pease what do they want us the masses to do after all he was the one playing his chess if his pawns r revolting against he should fix his problem himself

He's made already, and you might think it's his problem but looking away would do non of us good, even those with power that knows not what to do with it aside keeping it
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by shaddoww: 7:40am On Oct 07, 2016
The coming days would be interesting especially after Ondo election, cos I know dey want to use dat one to test waters.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by newguy1(m): 7:44am On Oct 07, 2016
Chanchit:

He's made already, and you might think it's his problem but looking away would do non of us good, even those with power that knows not what to do with it aside keeping it
it not about the money now it's the legacy , yes it's is problem let look @ it from dis perspective do we still need godfather in this part? We cannot be fighting a one man course for him and what is the afenifere doing
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 07, 2016
How am I sure this story is true
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 8:00am On Oct 07, 2016
newguy1:
it not about the money now it's the legacy , yes it's is problem let look @ it from dis perspective do we still need godfather in this part? We cannot be fighting a one man course for him and what is the afenifere doing

You can't separate godfatherism from politics. Has his methods been working? Yes, Lagos is a living example, he has too many properties? Person weh work must benefit.
If Tinubu should say" new guy, I want to give you a slot in house of assembly, would you be happy to take it or not? Would you be grateful? ??
I know even Tinubu can't count the number of people he has handed opportunities they can't imagine, and he's still doing it cos he didn't put himself there, God did.
And if you read around well, you would know afenifere's position on the issue at hand
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by newguy1(m): 8:24am On Oct 07, 2016
Chanchit:

You can't separate godfatherism from politics. Has his methods been working? Yes, Lagos is a living example, he has too many properties? Person weh work must benefit.
If Tinubu should say" new guy, I want to give you a slot in house of assembly, would you be happy to take it or not? Would you be grateful? ??
I know even Tinubu can't count the number of people he has handed opportunities they can't imagine, and he's still doing it cos he didn't put himself there, God did.
And if you read around well, you would know afenifere's position on the issue at hand
godfatherism is a mini tryrany no body wants that ghadafi was stone killed for that, the more cheap favour u get the u own people. I read something the MD of d dysfunction HiTv boss said about is company, he said he gave too many people leverage over him n dat is one of the reason he lost is company. We are way pass godfatherism in this country u want something fight for it. N If tinubu gave me a piece of land trust if I won't b loyal I won't
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:24am On Oct 07, 2016
I believe the report of this man. This is because during that time, I was in APC and I have a fair idea what transpired.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 07, 2016
And how will your stupid knowledge get Nigeria out of recession?
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by LORDOFAFONJAS: 8:27am On Oct 07, 2016
TINUBU is about to go down there cool
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by inkon: 8:35am On Oct 07, 2016
LORDOFAFONJAS:
TINUBU is about to go down there cool
That is if he is not on the ground already.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2016
newguy1:
godfatherism is a mini tryrany no body wants that ghadafi was stone killed for that, the more cheap favour u get the u own people. I read something the MD of d dysfunction HiTv boss said about is company, he said he gave too many people leverage over him n dat is one of the reason he lost is company. We are way pass godfatherism in this country u want something fight for it. N If tinubu gave me a piece of land trust if I won't b loyal I won't

Lol! Did you just say "if?" it means you can be loyal with just one plot, what happens when you get a mansion? . SMH. Well being loyal to someone does not mean losing your common sense, you first analyse if your loyalty is for the good of all or only good for the godfather. After Fashola's first term, Tinubu does not want him to go for second term but we all were in support of fashola going for second term cos then we believe the choice was good for only the godfather though many lagosians couldn't praise fashola as we did the first time, but now an average SWesterner believes the fight is not just against Tinubu, if we sit down and watch the north would take over SW and if they can control SW, I don't care which part you are from, if north take over sw they have Nigeria on the palm of their hands
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Funlordjnr: 8:52am On Oct 07, 2016
We don't give a _fuck!

Next............

sad
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by newguy1(m): 9:10am On Oct 07, 2016
Chanchit:

Lol! Did you just say "if?" it means you can be loyal with just one plot, what happens when you get a mansion? . SMH. Well being loyal to someone does not mean losing your common sense, you first analyse if your loyalty is for the good of all or only good for the godfather. After Fashola's first term, Tinubu does not want him to go for second term but we all were in support of fashola going for second term cos then we believe the choice was good for only the godfather though many lagosians couldn't praise fashola as we did the first time, but now an average SWesterner believes the fight is not just against Tinubu, if we sit down and watch the north would take over SW and if they can control SW, I don't care which part you are from, if north take over sw they have Nigeria on the palm of their hands
hypathetically speaking a plot was ur example,if u really think sw hope lies with tinubu then we a doom. The afeniferes @least call demself the elders of d yoruba which comprises obj nko.wouldnot just roll over moreover tinubus influence only extend to 3 to 4 state in d sw when is influence was @ his peak, here in kwara, oyo ekiti kogi we donot recognise his resolve
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Chanchit: 9:18am On Oct 07, 2016
newguy1:
hypathetically speaking a plot was ur example,if u really think sw hope lies with tinubu then we a doom. The afeniferes @least call demself the elders of d yoruba which comprises obj nko.wouldnot just roll over moreover tinubus influence only extend to 3 to 4 state in d sw when is influence was @ his peak, here in kwara, oyo ekiti kogi we donot recognise his resolve
;

Hmmmm! So you are now ominipresent, you are in Kwara, Oyo, Ekiti, Kogi anyway just like I said, its not only about Tinubu now, its about protecting SW from getting ruled from the north by proxy, so if all the states you mentioned up there belongs to the SW *I don't know about kwara and kogi* then you would be surprised when people start to answer their papa name.
Re: I Know How Tinubu Picked Osinbajo, Says Lagos SSG by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 07, 2016
Chanchit:

;

Hmmmm! So you are now ominipresent, you are in Kwara, Oyo, Ekiti, Kogi anyway just like I said, its not only about Tinubu now, its about protecting SW from getting ruled from the north by proxy, so if all the states you mentioned up there belongs to the SW *I don't know about kwara and kogi* then you would be surprised when people start to answer their papa name.

add Benin city and chunks of delta state

(1) (Reply)

We Found $2million In One Of The Judges’ Houses Raided, They're All Corrupt -DSS / Sokoto, Niger & Katsina State Govs Storm Imo For Acho Ihim (pics) / BREAKING NEWS: Boko Haram Kills Lieut-col. Abu Ali(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.