Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo (1761 Views)

The Handshake Magnus Abe Gave To Akpabio At His Swearing-in (Photo) / This is America And Not Nigeria / Saraki And Ekweremadu May Get Tough Bail Conditions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Adelaide2: 8:09pm On Oct 07, 2016
This is information as seen in a US Bank (SunTrust Bank) lobby today

1. Up to 76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck (what you call ''from hand to mouth'' in Nigeria)
2. Nearly 50% of Americans could not come up with $2000 in the event of an emergency
3. Almost 27% of Americans have no savings at all
4. Close to 70% of American parents have no idea how much to save for their kid's college

How do these facts compare with similar facts in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Adelaide2: 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2016
At first I thought it was an advertisement because of where they said ''let's discuss your options to change your life for the better''. But when I inquired further they said these are true facts of life in America.
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by forreelinc(m): 8:33pm On Oct 07, 2016
Adelaide2:

1. Up to 76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck (what you call ''from hand to mouth'' in Nigeria)

angry tell that to the civil servants in oyo state at least the americans get paid

Adelaide2:

2. Nearly 50% of Americans could not come up with $2000 in the event of an emergency
Yea neither can Nigerians I mean $2k is a lot of cheddar even oil worker sef go scratch head small

Adelaide2:

Hmmm I'm surprised it doesn't say 100%, do Americans save?

Adelaide2:

4. Close to 70% of American parents have no idea how much to save for their kid's college
Jesus! Do you know how much college education costs? This one no even surprise me at all besides student loans cover that sh*t

Adelaide2:

cool I just did
Moral of the story: I love naija and yea yankee is hard and all buh dude if u get chance travel, no wind yourself TRAVEL!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 07, 2016
Even at that, they still have a good standard of living, Nigeria standard of living is very poor, even wen we had the biggest economy in Africa during gej era, it didn't show in d life's of ordinary Nigerians, our standard of living was still poor then and now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by adconline(m): 9:19pm On Oct 07, 2016
Fall equivalence. Over 60% of Naija earn less than $2/day
Over 75% of Americans have savings in 401K, stocks,annuities, life insurance, mutual, CDs, IRA.
They might not have $2000 in their bank accounts but might savings/investments account of over $100k. They're not cash/liquidity-minded like Naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Adelaide2: 9:21pm On Oct 07, 2016
forreelinc:

angry tell that to the civil servants in oyo state at least the americans get paid

Yea neither can Nigerians I mean $2k is a lot of cheddar even oil worker sef go scratch head small

Hmmm I'm surprised it doesn't say 100%, do Americans save?

Jesus! Do you know how much college education costs? This one no even surprise me at all besides student loans cover that sh*t

cool I just did
Moral of the story: I love naija and yea yankee is hard and all buh dude if u get chance travel, no wind yourself TRAVEL!!!

Lol! Been living here several years now, but fortunate to escape those scenarios (1-4). Certainly it's tougher in Nigeria (by far, I might add) than the US.
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Adelaide2: 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2016
[quote author=adconline post=50008949]
Over 75% of Americans have savings in 401K, stocks,annuities, life insurance, mutual, CDs, IRA.

The statement was about having 2000K to use under an emergency. Those sources of income you listed cannot be available under emergency.
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by KELVIN086: 9:33pm On Oct 07, 2016
Make I park for here.
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by adconline(m): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2016
[quote author=Adelaide2 post=50009064][/quote]
Not having $2000 is not a yardstick for measuring wealth. Those assets can always be monetized unlike in Naija where most people live under $2/day. Btw, $2000=N1m in Naija, how many can boast of having N200k emergency fund in Naija? A few weeks ago, an engineer with Halliburton was asking me for N150k to pay his child's delivery in a hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by JinX100: 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2016
Don't give us reasons to be complacent and accept this suffering and no hope situation as a way of life but rather give me a reason why I should fight for a better life for myself and generation. America is not a yardstick for where I should be.....

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery and let's evaluate ourselves with our achievements so far with better comparisons and not reasons for complacency.
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 07, 2016
Honey, u can't just compare Nigeria to America. Just. Don't.

Ever heard of a phrase called "social security"? Ever heard of a thing called "section 8 Housing"? Ever heard of "Dole" "WiC" and "food stamps"?

Go study these ones first. You'll know that suffering in America doesn't compare to suffering in Naija.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 07, 2016
Adelaide2:

In spite of this baloney isnt it ironic thay you see Nigerians queuing up day and night at the American embassy to get out of this place?
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2016
MrsPhyno:
Honey, u can't just compare Nigeria to America. Just. Don't.

Ever heard of a phrase called "social security"? Ever heard of a thing called "section 8 Housing"? Ever heard of "Dole" "WiC" and "food stamps"?

Go study these ones first. You'll know that suffering in America doesn't compare to suffering in Naija.

gotcha
Re: Nigeria Is Tough But So Is America. See How in photo by DozieInc(m): 10:54pm On Oct 07, 2016
Poverty is no respector of countries.

(1) (Reply)

9 Governors, 100 Chieftains 'set To Exit' From APC / Goodnews: Read Obama's Last Bill That Favours Nigeria / Incredible Success Story of the Nigerian Man Behind Tecno Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.