Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,403 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Teachers' Terminus - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teachers' Terminus (4077 Views)

Teachers Empowerment Program This September / Mum Invades School With Thugs In Abeokuta, Beats Up Teachers For Caning Child / To The PHYSICS Masters/Teachers And Students (puzzle) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2016
Cc

Olanna45

PreciousMI1

Zaynie

It gives me much pleasure to welcome you all to this historic and distinguished forum for folks who have embraced the teaching profession and who are equally members of Nairaland.

Please kindly permit the name. Knowing quite well how threads could easily be counterfeited on Nairaland, there was the need to create an 'Original' and 'Last bus stop' for a thread dedicated to teachers, hence the name - Teachers' Terminus.

I assure that if we all cooperate, it is surely going to be a jolly good ride with every post on this thread.

This teachers' forum has the following objectives -

- Connect teachers who have Nairaland accounts.

- Help teachers share some knowledge to those who require it.

- Serve as a diary where teachers are free to share their daily experiences or challenges while doing what they know how to do best; developing young minds.

I personally wish to thank preciousMI1 and Olanna45 for the encouragement. I remain equally open to suggestions, opinions or ideas that could make our group thrive. Afterall, it belongs to us all.

Long Live Teachers!
Long Live Nairaland!
Long Live Nigeria!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
Teaching has exposed me to so many things about i know nothing about.

I am more compassionate towards teenagers and children.

I tend to be more careful about how i talk, how i dress and how i relate fellow humans, because teachers are role models.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
Olanna45:
Teaching has exposed me to so many things about i know nothing about.

I am more compassionate towards teenagers and children.

I tend to be more careful about how i talk, how i dress and how i relate fellow humans, because teachers are role models.

Indeed Olanna!

Teachers must act as role models at all times. I am gradually boosting my tolerance level because normally, I could get hot tempered and physical. It would be so absurd to vent my anger on these innocent youngsters. Imagine the harm that would be caused?

And em..in reply to your questions, I'd say the pay isn't worth my stress. The pay is very little but I take solace in the facts that I foremost love to teach and that the school is a trekkable distance.

Thanks for sharing what you teach. I've had no issues with handing-out punishments so far. The erring students comply. Not that I enjoy punishing my students though. I only use that as a last resort. So how do you then cope with your SSS 1 students? Do share please.

I pray I'll never have to flog my students....ever.

So help me GOD.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 5:54pm On Oct 08, 2016
THE MODERN DAY TEACHER

The modern day teacher ........

- Is always punctual and regular at school.

- Dresses smartly.

- Never curses, never uses swear words or vulgarity.

- Is never quick to beat or flog students.

- Gives regular classwork and homework.

- Is patient and tolerant with students' pace of learning.

- Uses examples the students can relate to when explaining concepts/terminologies at all times.

- Endeavours to adopt simple words when dictating to students (unless when teaching vocabulary).

Please feel free to add yours.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 5:56pm On Oct 08, 2016
Artkat762:

Indeed Olanna!

Teachers must act as role models at all times. I am gradually boosting my tolerance level because normally, I could get hot tempered and physical. It would be so absurd to vent my anger on these innocent youngsters. Imagine the harm that would be caused?

And em..in reply to your questions, I'd say the pay isn't worth my stress. The pay is very little but I take solace in the facts that I foremost love to teach and that the school is a trekkable distance.

Thanks for sharing what you teach. I've had no issues with handing-out punishments so far. The erring students comply. Not that I enjoy punishing my students though. I only use that as a last resort. So how do you then cope with your SSS 1 students? Do share please.

I pray I'll never have to flog my students....ever.

So help me GOD.

The highest punishment i can give to them is to send the erring one(s) out of the class. I also try to curtail the level of familiarity i have with some of them.

Its not really easy.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by preciousMI1(f): 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
Artkat762:
Cc

Olanna45

PreciousMI1

Zaynie

It gives me much pleasure to welcome you all to this historic and distinguished forum for folks who have embraced the teaching profession and who are equally members of Nairaland.

Please kindly permit the name. Knowing quite well how threads could easily be counterfeited on Nairaland, there was the need to create an 'Original' and 'Last bus stop' for a thread dedicated to teachers, hence the name - Teachers' Terminus.

I assure that if we all cooperate, it is surely going to be a jolly good ride with every post on this thread.

This teachers' forum has the following objectives -

- Connect teachers who have Nairaland accounts.

- Help teachers share some knowledge to those who require it.

- Serve as a diary where teachers are free to share their daily experiences or challenges while doing what they know how to do best; developing young minds.

I personally wish to thank preciousMI1 and Olanna45 for the encouragement. I remain equally open to suggestions, opinions or ideas that could make our group thrive. Afterall, it belongs to us all.

Long Live Teachers!
Long Live Nairaland!
Long Live Nigeria!
best thing I've ever seen in a long time. I really need this.

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 08, 2016
Hello guys, I just got my first teaching job. I have been teaching Maths, F/Maths and Physics for about a month now.
And here's what I observed about everything, students know you; every single thing about you, the way you talk, the way you walk, your confidence level (this is very essential), your body language etc.

Ma was a teacher, and I think I have her teaching genes...how else will I explain why Teaching is my love?

Any advice given will be highly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
MrMarvelous:
Hello guys, I just got my first teaching job. I have been teaching Maths, F/Maths and Physics for about a month now.
And here's what I observed about everything, students know you; every single thing about you, the way you talk, the way you walk, your confidence level (this is very essential), your body language etc.

Ma was a teacher, and I think I have her teaching genes...how else will I explain why Teaching is my love?

Welcome on board.

The confidence level is one aspect i took time to build, esp when i was moved to the secondary section this term.
I study my lesson topics countless times before going to class. i rehearse possible questions i will be asked and provide answers to them.

Once i am in class, i put on a mean look. though there atimes the students make funny comments you can help but to laugh.

Teaching is a nice job. But i still wonder why teachers are looked down upon.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
Olanna45:
Welcome on board.

The confidence level is one aspect i took time to build, esp when i was moved to the secondary section this term.
I study my lesson topics countless times before going to class. i rehearse possible questions i will be asked and provide answers to them.

Once i am in class, i put on a mean look. though there atimes the students make funny comments you can help but to laugh.

Teaching is a nice job. But i still wonder why teachers are looked down upon.
Lol. I think teachers are looked down on by the way they present themselves to the society.
Teaching is the most noble job i think anyone can take, whether formal or informal.

Funny enough this is my first teaching job, but I can tell you i already love it.

I'm based in Benin right now, what about you and what subjects are you taking?

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 8:04pm On Oct 08, 2016
Olanna45:
The highest punishment i can give to them is to send the erring one(s) out of the class. I also try to curtail the level of familiarity i have with some of them.

Its not really easy.

Oh yeah! I quite agree. I'll confess i'm a victim of this 'familiarity' thing. A quick story if you don't mind. Yesterday being Friday, one of my female students playfully smacked me on the face with her textbook (note that I didn't say exercise book).

Though it hurt much, I had to bear the pain while giving her a stern warning never to try that again. I guess she thought it was okay to do that just because I'm very easy going in her class and because she and her bestie gave me a cube of Choco Milo earlier that morning.

Familiarity truly breeds much contempt.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 8:06pm On Oct 08, 2016
preciousMI1:

best thing I've ever seen in a long time. I really need this.

Really glad to hear/read that Precious.

Welcome on board! *gives a humble teacher's bow*
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 8:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
MrMarvelous:

Welcome on board Mr Marvelous!

Maths, Further Maths and Physics? Gosh! You must be a brainiac.

And you are quite right about your observations. Confidence level is key in teaching, else the bold, raucous students take you for granted.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 8:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
*I study my lesson topics countless times before going to class. i rehearse possible questions i will be asked and provide answers to them*

I particularly like this. Such is expected of every serious teacher. Plus the teaching profession being looked down on has been the situation since time immemorial. I guess it is a reflection of our society and its attitude towards education.

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
Artkat762:

Welcome on board Mr Marvelous!

Maths, Further Maths and Physics? Gosh! You must be a brainiac.

And you are quite right about your observations. Confidence level is key in teaching, else the bold, raucous students take you for granted.
Brainiac ke? Lol.
I studied Mechanical Engineering in school, so it's not really about Brainiac.
I'll admit though, I do aiit.

I really love this thread.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 8:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
MrMarvelous:

Brainiac ke? Lol.
I studied Mechanical Engineering in school, so it's not really about Brainiac.
I'll admit though, I do aiit.

I really love this thread.

Lolz..Alright mehn! Pleasantly noted. I studied Mass communication and English has always been my favourite subject.

Keep enlightening young boys and girls.

As they say, our ultimate reward awaits us in Heaven.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 9:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
MrMarvelous:

Lol. I think teachers are looked down on by the way they present themselves to the society.
Teaching is the most noble job i think anyone can take, whether formal or informal.

Funny enough this is my first teaching job, but I can tell you i already love it.

I'm based in Benin right now, what about you and what subjects are you taking?
I think the problem is people's mentality towards the profession.

I am based in Anambra. I teach government/social studies.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
Olanna45:
I think the problem is people's mentality towards the profession.

I am based in Anambra. I teach government/social studies.

Good point. I wanna send a Pm, would love to know you better. You cool?
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 11:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
Hello friends and co-teachers,

My phone has been down for the most part of today, which is why i'm only posting now. No light in my neighbourhood. Up CHANGE! embarassed

Anyway, I hope you all had a relaxing weekend? I sure wish you a fruitful and impactful week. Do make the most of your resources and keep the students learning.

Cheers!

One love!
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
Greetings friends in the noble teaching profession,

Kindly allow me share this piece of advice for those who may find it useful.

It is noteworthy that we are still experiencing an economic recession. Times are hard, prices of goods and services are still on the rise and parents; just like everyone else are particular about getting the most out of goods and services paid for.

"But how does this affect teaching?" you may ask. Well, let me illustrate with a quick story. Today, a parent visited the school where I teach and caused a scene. Visibly upset, she verbally attacked our proprietor and a fellow teacher. Her problem was that, despite paying tuition in full, she observed that lately, notes in her daughter's exercise book were copied directly from a textbook. At least three chapters and all were word-for-word.

She was furious at this and I was astonished myself. At the end, the angry parent was pacified with a promise that such would never repeat itself. The erring teacher also received a stern warning.

Now while I attributed the mishap to the teacher's laziness, I thought about the possibility of such happening in other schools. I thought about where teachers, due to hard times or family challenges began to feel discouraged and lazy about teaching properly. I thought about the consequences on the teaching profession and resultant effects on innocent students.

The truth is, students, no matter how young, are very perceptive by nature. They can easily tell when a teacher is lazy and when a teacher doesn't know what he or she is teaching. Worse is that they give regular feedback to their parents. Once asked "So how was school today?" or "So what did you learn at school today?", they start singing like birds....if you get my drift.

So my point is, teachers should always act like role models and avoid this pitfall. Lesson notes must always be prepared from textbooks in advance and simplified in grammar to aid the students' learning.

If students become aware that much of the notes they copy are from one particular textbook, they become cunning and start to give silly excuses for missing school knowing full well that they can easily run to that textbook for notes once tests or exams are near.

As responsible teachers we certainly don't want this to happen.

Need I say more? I'm positive the point has been well made.

May GOD help us all.

Long Live Nairaland teachers!
Long Live Nigeria!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teachers' Terminus by zaynie(f): 1:11pm On Oct 15, 2016
Dear Teacher, what would you do to this naughty child. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers' Terminus by INTERMAN: 2:15pm On Oct 15, 2016
zaynie:
Hmmm.. This is a BIG, FAT and ROBUST question. If it were me I will give him money to buy a new homework book to proof him right. Though not a teacher but I was once an Education student for 2 years before running to the medical line.I salute all ur works as teachers. Teaching is a flexible profession and I can still become one even without studying it as a course, by establishing a private school even as a Med doc. Will be their assistant BIOLOGY teacher and my wife the proprietress of the school. lol

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 4:30pm On Oct 15, 2016
A very tough one. First, i will put sentiments aside, reprimand him gently for fighting. Then tell him the best thing to do os to report such to me, and not fighting. Then thank him for standing up for me. But i have to let him know that fighting is not just the best way to do so.

Then for the assignment, i will pardon him and give him a grace of more time to write and submit.
That is if, what the child said is true.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 4:31pm On Oct 15, 2016
INTERMAN:
Hmmm.. This is a BIG, FAT and ROBUST question. If it were me I will give him money to buy a new homework book to proof him right. Though not a teacher but I was once an Education student for 2 years before running to the medical line.I salute all ur works as teachers. Teaching is a flexible profession and I can still become one even without studying it as a course, by establishing a private school even as a Med doc. Will be their assistant BIOLOGY teacher and my wife the proprietress of the school. lol
See family business ohh.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by INTERMAN: 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2016
Olanna45:
See family business ohh.
Or will u marry me. Seiously I will love to marry a teacher, build a multimillion private school for her while I continue as a doctor and at the same time a part time Biology teacher of the school. She will be the proprietress. Reason is that Female teachers tend to be intelligent and disciplined. And teaching is a nice profession of which I like but love Medicine more.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2016
zaynie:

Lolz... cheesy cheesy

Very funny Zaynie! The question/joke sure cracked me up. But I think I'd have to go with Olanna's response; even though I'd know for sure that the student was just being mischievious.

After discouraging him against fighting next time, I'd express my gratitude for standing up for me and then gladly grant more time to complete the homework.

2 Likes

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2016
zaynie:
Now, this is hilarious grin grin, and I remember having a similar incidence when I taught for my mum.

Favor, in her childish heart was discussing with her classmate, Micheal, telling him how her grandmother would beat her teacher up (that's me) grin, and what was her teacher's crime? I stood her against the wall for not doing her assignment.

When I came back (I stepped out to pick something from another class), Micheal (her confidant) decided to spill the beans cheesy. He ran to my table, whispering, though loud enough for others to hear. 'Ms, Favor said her grandmother will beat you very well'.

At first, it sounded funny but laughing would show my lack of seriousness. I turned to look at Favor who was almost peeing on herself cheesy.. 'Ms, Micheal is lying. I didn't say so. He is lying **her eyes teary**. Micheal refused to be called a liar and at such, they started arguing in my class. I kept holding onto my laughter cheesy, wearing a surprised face..

Knowing them and what they can say, I immediately knew Favor said that to him but never believed he would betray her grin..

To cut the story short, I made her eat snacks 15 minutes after everyone was done, to serve as a punishment and a lesson to others..

To you question, I'll laugh at his excuse, giving him a benefit of doubt, and teach him on why not to fight but rather, to report to the class teacher. I'll be proud of him/her (for standing up for me) but wouldn't show it so that he/she doesn't bank on that as an excuse for not doing his/her assignments in future.. Kids are very tricky, especially the older ones.

Teaching is beautiful, though stressful but the experiences gained will help mold my kids in future smiley..

5 Likes

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Olanna45(f): 10:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
INTERMAN:
Or will u marry me. Seiously I will love to marry a teacher, build a multimillion private school for her while I continue as a doctor and at the same time a part time Biology teacher of the school. She will be the proprietress. Reason is that Female teachers tend to be intelligent and disciplined. And teaching is a nice profession of which I like but love Medicine more.
Nice plan.
Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 10:55pm On Oct 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Micheal (her confidant) decided to spill the beans cheesy. He ran to my table, whispering, though loud enough for others to hear. 'Ms, Favor said her grandmother will beat you very well'.

At first, it sounded funny but laughing would show my lack of seriousness. I turned to look at Favor who was almost peeing on herself cheesy.. 'Ms, Micheal is lying. I didn't say so. He is lying **her eyes teary**.

grin Such a concerned little man Michael was. He probably had a crush on his teacher and didn't want to see her nurse a black eye in school. grin #JustSaying wink

Thanks for sharing your story. Quite an entertaining read.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Teachers' Terminus by LordIsaac(m): 6:12am On Oct 16, 2016
12 years in the profession. Modeled many. About to retire to take up another degree. 5 years ago, I fell in love with an SS2 student of a school. I was 21. So I resigned from that school and went to another. 3years later...I noticed I became over protective of her and her teenager characteristics became unbearable. I spoilt her...created a monster as a result. Tried to be firm later, but it was too late. As of today, we are no longer together, but she still misses me. I could no longer tolerate her...love deteriorated to pity, pity to anger, anger to hatred....The lesson from all these is, please leave those girls alone as a teacher. They may be physically matured but emotionally, you'd just be abusing a big child. I take full responsibilities for my actions, and from then on, I vowed never to date my student!

2 Likes

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Sleekyshuga(f): 11:30am On Oct 16, 2016
Artkat762:

grin Such a concerned little man Michael was. He probably had a crush on his teacher and didn't want to see her nurse a black eye in school. grin #JustSaying wink

Thanks for sharing your story. Quite an entertaining read.

smiley
LOL @ bold words... Well, he always flattered me in class; quite bold for his age..
Re: Teachers' Terminus by zaynie(f): 11:38am On Oct 16, 2016
Lol @Sleekyshuga. Those kids and amebo are like 5 and 6 o......

@LordIsaac, I'm glad you realise that.
This issue is one that is very common and need to be addressed seriously.
This is also why less and less males are gaining employment in the education sector.

Only a weak and insecure man will feel confident dating an immature girl that is way below you in all levels.
The lil girl of yesterday will grow up to become a woman..... realise you took advantage of her and make your life miserable.

3 Likes

Re: Teachers' Terminus by Artkat762: 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

LOL @ bold words... Well, he always flattered me in class; quite bold for his age..

Yeah! I can imagine. Some kids are like that. Got two of 'em in my school too. Females and they are both six years old.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Continent With The Lowest IQ Ranking / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Drinking Garri / Mathias Samuel Akaazua Nigerian Scammer Studying In Girne American University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.