Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,463 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:36 AM

NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges (37569 Views)

Court Orders Immediate Release Of El-Zakzaky, Fines SSS / Arraignment Of Judges Put Off Indefinitely / Afenifere Demands Immediate Release Of Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by bimbo2k10: 5:09am On Oct 09, 2016
This isn't funny at all, the way Nigerians reason baffle me. The only one thing that kept this country backward is Corruption. Every sector is corrupt because the constitution is too bad that it only affects the poor masses. Why are we supporting these corrupt people for God's sake. Lots of innocent people had bn jailed by these corrupt judges.

5 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Youngzedd(m): 5:14am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:
This country men!! Jonathan was corrupt, allowing corruption to fester. Buhari came and started fighting corruption and the same people are against the fight against corruption siting laid down procedure by Liars.

Can this country ever be fixed??

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 09, 2016
I support whatever approach is adopted to recover our looted funds; to arrest and expose the beneficiaries of corruption; And to bring sanity to our society.
I sometimes feel we need some bits of high-handedness of the military style, if things must work in Nigeria. Like someone said, Nigerians are fantastically corrupt. And we need some unconventional, if you like, undemocratic approach to fighting corruption. The bad eggs have a way of circumventing the democratic fight against corruption. Nigeria is not ripe for all-the-time democratic approach. We need some touch of military style.
Smoke the corrupt ones out by whatever means. The judiciary should either wake up or get lost. We cannot tolerate these corrupt custodians of law anymore.

1 Like

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by efemena24(m): 5:23am On Oct 09, 2016
egbonnla:
All of us (Wailers and Zombies) should be worried about the recent recklessness and lack of respect for the rule of law on part of he executive. We should not allow sentiments to becloud our sense of reasoning. The Judiciary is an independent arm of government and the last hope of the common man. Granted some few judges may be corrupted but the constitution has provided ways of treating cases of corrupted judges. The executive should have reported such judges to National Judicial Committee. The judges can then be prosecuted by the police if they are found guilty of criminal acts by NJC.
If we allow the Executive to muzzled the Judiciary, the president may become a dictator who can do any thing and get away with it. Our collective freedom may be taken....
Oh boy, did you study Political Science?? Because you just nailed it, nice one smiley smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by cyrilamx(m): 5:27am On Oct 09, 2016
Initially I was so incensed reading the earlier comments on this tread criticising PMB. Now am happy to learn many think my way. We must take crude step in dealing a hard blow at corruption like Lee Kwam Yew did in Singapore. Toes must be stepped on and fight must be ferocious
If Nigerians can lynch petty thieves who's acts were occasioned by looters why not do same to political thieves? We must support PMB to get out if this wood..
DeHEIGHTS:
I support whatever approach is adopted to recover our looted funds; to arrest and expose the beneficiaries of corruption; And to bring sanity to our society.
I sometimes feel we need some bits of high-handedness of the military style, if things must work in Nigeria. Like someone said, Nigerians are fantastically corrupt. And we need some unconventional, if you like, undemocratic approach to fighting corruption. The bad eggs have a way of circumventing the democratic fight against corruption. Nigeria is not ripe for all-the-time democratic approach. We need some touch of military style.
Smoke the corrupt ones out by whatever means. The judiciary should either wake up or get lost. We cannot tolerate these corrupt custodians of law anymore.

1 Like

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by lt4oba: 5:29am On Oct 09, 2016
It is absurd to have a system that supports corruption
How can for God sake, an individual Under d disguise of NBA president
Without even confirming reasons for arrest of corrupt people starts to ask for there release
Anyway they said we are in democracy
Guess na Curruptcracy we dey o. Hmmmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Sage7(m): 5:48am On Oct 09, 2016
So people expect carpets to be rolled for corrupt judges to be arrested and we keep complaining of corruption. Youths are angry that this criminals were forcefully arrested, in a nation where corruption is the root of our problems. Dear Lord, I commit the future of this nation to your hands. Those NBA officials have skeletons in their cupboards which they fear would be seen if DSS still have those judges in custody.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by alexlee50: 6:12am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:
This country men!! Jonathan was corrupt, allowing corruption to fester. Buhari came and started fighting corruption and the same people are against the fight against corruption siting laid down procedure by Liars.

since Jonathan the corrupt one has left power, I guess corruption no longer exits in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by dtrend(m): 6:20am On Oct 09, 2016
LordVarys:
The Nigerian Bar Association on Saturday declared a state of emergency in the judiciary following the midnight arrest of some judges by the Department of State Services.

The declaration of the state of emergency was made on Saturday evening in Lagos by the NBA President, Abubakar Mahmoud (SAN).

Mahmoud addressed the press alongside four past presidents of the association – Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN); Mr. J.B. Daudu (SAN) and Augustine Alegeh (SAN).

Others in attendance at the declaration, which held at Eko Hotel, Victoria Island, were Prof. Kayinsola Ajayi (SAN), Mr. Yusuf Ali (SAN), Mr. Dele Adesina (SAN), among others.

[b]Mahmoud said two Supreme Court justices, Inyang Okoro and Sylvester Ngwuta were “abducted”, with their families, adding that he had yet to have the full detail of other judges who could have been involved.

Mahmoud said the NBA condemned what it termed the Gestapo-style operation of the DSS.
He announced the constitution of an emergency or crisis management team, comprising past NBA presidents to engage with the government.

Mahmoud, who said it was not the responsibility of the DSS to arrest judges, described the DSS action as an unconstitutional means of intimidating the judiciary and undermining its independence.

The NBA President called on President Muhammadu Buhari to order the immediate release of the arrested judges, vowing that there would be consequences should the demand be ignored.

Mahmoud said, “I want to emphasise again that we are not under military rule and we cannot accept this unholy event and Gestapo-style operation.

“We, therefore, call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately caution all the  state security agencies and to respect the rule of law and to respect due process.

“Any issues affecting the judicial officers, there are established procedures for handling them and we demand that this constitutional process must be obeyed.

“Given the unfolding nature of the event and the seriousness of the situation, the NBA hereby declares a state of emergency as it affects the affairs of the judiciary and I hereby constitute a crisis management team, comprising all past presidents of the association.

“I want to, on behalf of the association, make the very following clear and unequivocal demands: we demand the immediate and unconditional release of all the judges abducted from about 9pm yesterday (Friday).

“The release must be done immediately and without any conditions. Two, we demand that the Department of State Services should limit itself to its statutory and constitutional responsibilities.

“I’ll be meeting with the CJN later tonight or tomorrow. There will be consequences should these demands are not met.”[/b]
http://punchng.com/judges-arrest-nba-declares-state-emergency/
hope that happens for you

1 Like

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by drnoel: 6:21am On Oct 09, 2016
LordVarys:
Let's see how far the dictator goes with this. He'll certainly bite more than he can chew. Nigeria survived Abacha, we can certainly survive this. Next time people would be wiser when voting.
For the first time since the end of military rule, I am actually afraid of a Nigerian govt.
2019 is a long time away so suffer it. Nigerians deserve what they voted

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by olashas(f): 6:21am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:

It can not. A nation of corrupt people can never support a fight against corruption.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by whirlwind7(m): 6:22am On Oct 09, 2016
neocortex:
Well it is not too late,
NBA should have reacted when FG started choosing which court order
to obey and government critics are being arrested with impunity.

GBAM!
My thoughts exactly. They are protesting now, knowing that further investigations are bound to implicate many of them. It is not news that the judiciary is very corrupt. What's new is that the presidency is rounding them up, albeit in an unconventional manner.

5 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by SycophanticGoat: 6:28am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:

I can't believe that people still believe all these useless anticorruption trash being bandied about by the most useless administration ever. Buhari is fighting corruption yet Danbanza, Kyamiri, Burantashi, DOGara, and a host of other corrupt and incompetent bastårds within his cabinet still walk free?

Some Nigerians (especially the hypocritical and bigoted ones) are the most foolish set of human species the world has ever seen.. SmH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Vello(m): 6:33am On Oct 09, 2016
wxyz1:
If not because you are hiding behind internet to write this trash, i which you are talking face-to- face i would have landed you a dirty slap that you would never forget in your life if you survive it. Blind follower.
All the more reason I wish you'd never been born. You threaten to beat up someone for his patriotic zeal in seeing a better future for his beloved country. Are you even sane at all? Did you type that poo for nairalander's likes or that is your exact thinking pattern?
By their fruits they shall be known.
Tell me the objective for independence of the 3 Arms of Government. Is it not for checks and balances? Corruption, having festered this much, is it not normal for a normal thinking normal adult that had normal formal education to think as a normal human being and be sober? What legacy and future are generations unborn going to inherit from your kind that have unfairly populated this country?
Guy, you're sick! Very sick in the head!

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Solozzo(m): 6:38am On Oct 09, 2016
The justices were thieves and deserve the arrest

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by godquality: 6:42am On Oct 09, 2016
Nigerians are just too gullible. As long as a search warrant was issued and used to raids those houses it's not intimidation. This is done all over the world. And if there's evidence ( like in this case, monies recovered) why shouldn't the judges be arrested? Where did they get those kind of monies from? This guys have the audacity to call a state of emergency despite the evidences on the ground. This just confirmed that there's a cabal in the judiciary just like in politics.

It's time we stop letting these set of people twisting and using grammars to confuse us. This is corruption and I believe these guys are just scared of being the next set to be targeted.

Our biggest problems (apart from the recession) are judges/lawyers, politicians and the common masses who get easily deceived.

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by oluwaahmed: 6:58am On Oct 09, 2016
Dis govt & selective justice! Wat of justice okon abang? Is he also a saint. Y raidin judges houses like dey terrorist? If u hav any proof against dem y not take dem 2 court. Evry1 is corrupt in 9ja even d so-called Saint buhari, so wy kid ourselves? Y is it not d eFCC dats prosecutin d corruptn charge? Wy DSS?
D apc govt thrives on lies, if it was rily concerned abt fightin corruptn y did it drop d case against saraki & ekweremadu?
D NBA president dt declared state of emergency is too slow. Wen Pmb flouted court orders ind release of kanu dasuki, shey dey said nuttin? Wen senator jibrin was suspended 4 whistle blowing shey dey did nuttin? PMB pls carry all of dem, den face d legislators so u can bcom supreme leader of d nigerian caliphate d fooolish yoots & ur yoruba croonies R solidly behind u. Pls Dnt 4get tinubu too & amechi

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by bigsmoke2(m): 7:01am On Oct 09, 2016
Now that the corrupt judges are in custody NBA know there will be a ripple effect and many of them will be implicated once the corrupt judges in custody start singing like canary birds. Did you know this judges were initialy reported to NBA? All they did was recomend them for retirement . A corrupt judicial system Is way more dangerous than an iron fisted president. where did the judges get the money DSS found in their house? is it their civil servants salary ? .they are the ones collecting bribes and frustrating the fight against corruption. The need to know they are not above the law so they can sit up

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by naijaboy756: 7:02am On Oct 09, 2016
Wake me up when DSS storms Buratai's house to collect the keys to the Dubai houses... A zombie is a m*umu by default... Corruption fight my hairy a*s

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Rekyz(m): 7:09am On Oct 09, 2016
Its funny how these judges are picked on. Why not fish out all the corrupt judges via due process? Now the judges that grant justice in favour of APC are saints.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by godquality: 7:12am On Oct 09, 2016
LordVarys:

“Any issues affecting the judicial officers, there are established procedures for handling them and we demand that this constitutional process must be obeyed.

.”[/b]
http://punchng.com/judges-arrest-nba-declares-state-emergency/

Established procedures indeed like recommending for earlier retirement of 2 of the judges. These guys are really taking us for fools. Are here we have people in NL that for some strange reasons are in support of this corrupt practices even though they don't benefit from the proceed or maybe they do. I don't know.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by bendutch(m): 7:13am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:

You are in for a long ride. I see you've been really brainwashed with the chane mantra. My brother you need a TB Joshua. Intimidating a Judge is terrible for democracy.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by EarlOfWarwick(m): 7:23am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:

So them DSS and there Mugu Presido no fit tender legal invitation to these respected men?

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by nobeku: 7:35am On Oct 09, 2016
Bugatie:
Goodmorning Nigeria, A dictator is born...

You never know what you have until you loose it.. Jonathan didn't try a quarter of what the dictator from Daura is doing today. He was bashed left, right and centre but he remained unprovoked.

God bless you Jonathan, you're a fine gentleman.

Kidult!
Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by gabbytabby: 7:37am On Oct 09, 2016
If they are found to have compromised the judiciary the criminal act is so grave that it is treasonable.

They are not intimidated but arrested with an arrest warrant all perfectly legit.

kcnwaigbo:

So intimidating Court judges is now how to fight corruption?
Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by honor4me: 7:52am On Oct 09, 2016
[quote author=Youngzedd post=50041726][/quote]
MUST READ!!

#Segun Adeyemi

THE NBA!!!

In 2015, a total of 34 Ghanaian judges, including 22 lower court and 12 high Court judges, were caught on video asking for bribe. This triggered widespread anger across Ghana, and no professional lawyers' body declared a phantom state of emergency or issued some puerile threats as the NBA has done after some Nigerian judges, including those of the Supreme Court, were caught with huge sums of money in different currencies.

Before long, 20 of the 22 lower court judges were sent packing. That's Ghana!

Now back to Nigeria. If Supreme Court Justices could be involved in this cashgate nonsense, what will happen to the judges of the lower courts?

And why would a self-respecting body not wait for the full details to emerge before issuing threats? Are judges above the law?

The judges in whose residences huge sums of money were found have not been declared guilty. They will have their day in court. But one thing is sure. They were found in possession of monies they cannot account for. That in itself is enough reason for anger and condemnation. No NBA can brow beat Nigerians. No way!

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by maddock(m): 7:58am On Oct 09, 2016
I am very certain Nigeria can never ever ever be fixed. Everybody is calling and begging for Rawlings style to fix the country and yet the government have not started and we are already complaining. If anybody thinks Nigeria can be fixed going or using the conventional and people friendly method, then that person is a joker. As far as there are jobless people and corruption everywhere, people would definitely be used to scuttle the process.

My only problem is that don't limit this gestapo style to only one side but both sides of the divide but common side would also say that you can't fight all sides at the same time.

But one last question that I need answer to is are the judges really corrupt? If yes so the anger is that why were they arrested in the night and not the afternoon or morning.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by Picomon(m): 8:20am On Oct 09, 2016
datola:

Thank you brother for this. Some people are very stupid and useless.

do you think all dis so called corrupt judges will obey if pmb shud follow d easy route? or do u think they will step down if asked to? sometimes, I'm forced to believe democracy is a lie in dis naija. Deal with corruption the hard way.. I'd been people who are abusing PMB knws the implication of looting they will keep shut.

let the corrupt leaders die in jail. judges are not exempted. bloody thieves. Wike shud be shot self. dunno his bizness. useless people.

3 Likes

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by borntosuccess(m): 8:29am On Oct 09, 2016
naija welcome to tyranny
Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by NafeesaAA(f): 8:43am On Oct 09, 2016
THE NBA IS JUST AN ASSOCIATION

Rice sellers, vulcanizers, tailors, architects, etc, all have associations like the NBA? All associations MUST respect the laws of the land to continue to enjoy its existence.

Therefore, the NBA leadership should not think themselves exceptional or above the law to intervene in the legal functions of our law enforcement agencies, irrespective of who is involved.

Judges are versed in legal matters and rules. If the privacy of anyone, particularly a judge, was illegally infringed upon, they know how to sue!

PLEASE LET ALL WAILERS PROCEED TO THE COURT.
Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by grandeoj09(m): 8:48am On Oct 09, 2016
dictator or not , when will nigeria stop celebrating corruption all in the name of rule of law? something is wrong somewhere .

NIGERIA IS UNRIPE FOR DEMOCRACY .

1 Like

Re: NBA Declares State Of Emergency, Demands Immediate Release Of Judges by fr3do(m): 8:49am On Oct 09, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I will mention you for all I care. As a smart educated man who knows the rule of law, what part does a judge found with bribe money in his bed room accounts to the rule of law.

Abuse me for all I care. I wonder how an educated man who calls another illiterate goes around abusing.

don't mind his excesses, he is very concerned about our democracy and freedom like I am.
I rather stay in a corrupt Nigeria than an autocratic Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Power Generation Crumbles To 0MW For Hours / Bala Mohammed: I have No Apologies For Using Chloroquine To Cure Coronavirus / We've Been Visiting Nnamdi Kanu In Prison — UK Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.