Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,687 members, 7,834,277 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

My Experience In A Catholic Church Today - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Experience In A Catholic Church Today (1387 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah Builds A Catholic Cathedral In Nnewi, Anambra (Photos) / A Catholic Priest Celebrates Christ In A Traditional Way In Anambra / Gunmen Kill Worshippers At A Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Anambra State (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Mrbigman1(m): 10:07am On Oct 09, 2016
I decided to visit another parish today because mine was having youth harvest today and I needed to be at home to run one or two things before noon.
On getting to the said parish, it was my parish priest that was to celebrate mass dia, chai! Him go say na cos of harvest I run; I stayed back anyway.

During offering time I got a wonderful experience I have never seen before. We had about 23 offerings. Not exaggerating.
1. Project offering
2. Building project offering
3. Eucharistic offering which was actually the first.
4. Mission Sunday offering.
5. All men.
6. All female
7. Monthly thanksgiving.
Dey now proceeded to harvest thanksgiving wia d families who re to have dia thanksgiving came out one after the other,
Then birthday and other thanksgiving proceeded.

This is a very big shock to me cos as at last week Sunday, a communique of the bishop conference of Nigeria warned about excessive collection from parishioners. That the first offering is the only offering the church has right to ask for, the others, the church should inform it's members two weeks before hand about it.
I saw this and many other rules from the communique been broken today with ease.

Am on the fact that the church should be giving back to the society what the society gave back to them in time of plenty, not enslaving people to give even when dey barely have hence making people grumble while offering.
An elderly man by me turned to me and asked me if I had change of 100 Naira (20 naira) so he can continue with he procession. I just looked at him and said to myself " u think u re doing God? U re doing urself"

The final shocking thing was, the parish priest of the church came in much later during announcements and started talking about MMM, and other networking and persuading his members to join and under him. I almost stood up to leave but had to wait to get it all.

Am not condemning the Catholic church which I am a ardent member of but cry should reach the bishop of abuja and other higher authority that catholicism is sliding faster in the country, in warri here, the bishop needs money more than your salvation, he plays dirty politics that Is so shameful and in the south east, the teachings are so uncivil. Some parish priest in warri sometimes was calling a married woman in my present and she told me all he has being doing. She even put the call on speak out and I was marvelled how a priest got such line and how depth in lust he must have gone.
The ciwa college in port Harcourt is a site for prostitution. They hire prostitutes on a daily basis and u see the girls leaving every morning during morning mass. I confronted one outta curiosity and she told me everything. What a shame.
One can still imagine rev mbaka's reaction during his transfer, my cousin who's a priest refused to shake my hand because I have beards. I looked at him in great pity.

Am just saying all this for corrective measures to be implemented and not to mare the image of the church as the church is loosing members on a daily basis and maybe the pope need to come down here already.

Please lalasticlala help take this to fp.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 09, 2016
Catholics worship in practicality hitherto... But these days ehh...
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by chris7: 10:16am On Oct 09, 2016
Today is my birthday oooo
Nairaland make una invade me with loaded prayers!

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by antontech(m): 10:17am On Oct 09, 2016
So much offering these days
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by EHMIR(m): 10:28am On Oct 09, 2016
Unfortunately these men of God are men of materialism..an aspect of life they preach against.

Serve the God thats in you,u dont need a mora'fkin mofo to lead u to God or 'show u the way'

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by menxer: 10:28am On Oct 09, 2016
In the voice of an atheist, "Money makes the world go round"
grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Justeenaleo(f): 10:32am On Oct 09, 2016
Mrbigman1:
I decided to visit another parish today because mine was having youth harvest today and I needed to be at home to run one or two things before noon.
On getting to the said parish, it was my parish priest that was to celebrate mass dia, chai! Him go say na cos of harvest I run; I stayed back anyway.

During offering time I got a wonderful experience I have never seen before. We had about 23 offerings. Not exaggerating.
1. Project offering
2. Building project offering
3. Eucharistic offering which was actually the first.
4. Mission Sunday offering.
5. All men.
6. All female
7. Monthly thanksgiving.
Dey now proceeded to harvest thanksgiving wia d families who re to have dia thanksgiving came out one after the other,
Then birthday and other thanksgiving proceeded.

This is a very big shock to me cos as at last week Sunday, a communique of the bishop conference of Nigeria warned about excessive collection from parishioners. That the first offering is the only offering the church has right to ask for, the others, the church should inform it's members two weeks before hand about it.
I saw this and many other rules from the communique been broken today with ease.

Am on the fact that the church should be giving back to the society what the society gave back to them in time of plenty, not enslaving people to give even when dey barely have hence making people grumble while offering.
An elderly man by me turned to me and asked me if I had change of 100 Naira (20 naira) so he can continue with he procession. I just looked at him and said to myself " u think u re doing God? U re doing urself"

The final shocking thing was, the parish priest of the church came in much later during announcements and started talking about MMM, and other networking and persuading his members to join and under him. I almost stood up to leave but had to wait to get it all.

Am not condemning the Catholic church which I am a ardent member of but cry should reach the bishop of abuja and other higher authority that catholicism is sliding faster in the country, in warri here, the bishop needs money more than your salvation, he plays dirty politics that Is so shameful and in the south east, the teachings are so uncivil. Some parish priest in warri sometimes was calling a married woman in my present and she told me all he has being doing. She even put the call on speak out and I was marvelled how a priest got such line and how depth in lust he must have gone.
The ciwa college in port Harcourt is a site for prostitution. They hire prostitutes on a daily basis and u see the girls leaving every morning during morning mass. I confronted one outta curiosity and she told me everything. What a shame.
One can still imagine rev mbaka's reaction during his transfer, my cousin who's a priest refused to shake my hand because I have beards. I looked at him in great pity.

Am just saying all this for corrective measures to be implemented and not to mare the image of the church as the church is loosing members on a daily basis and maybe the pope need to come down here already.

Please lalasticlala help take this to fp.
Thanks
if you were a Catholic, you know nairaland is not the right place. Why didn't you write the bishop? Is it on nairaland you want "corrective measures" to be implemented?
they advised against multiple collections probably because it takes time and as for the family thanksgiving and birthday thanksgiving the church is not Breaking any rule, so people should stop thanking God because you want to "run one or two things before noon" sometimes its even these families that beg to have their thanksgiving.
And who told you that the members were not informed?
It's not even your parish, so you dont even know what plans they have made for the thanksgiving.
It's the period of thanksgiving if you have problems with that write the bishop and stop this early morning drama.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by johnydon22(m): 10:33am On Oct 09, 2016
there is no business more lucrative than selling afterlife for money because nobody will actually come back and demand for a refund when the goods is not delivered.

It's evily Genius and the ultimate hustle.

Religious leaders keep asking their members to forgo the riches of the world and make riches in heaven but they keep stashing riches here and on earth and keep collecting the little of the masses have.
Can't people stop and ask themselves " do they really believe what they preach?"

It is nothing short of Holy robbery..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by yomi007k(m): 10:35am On Oct 09, 2016
menxer:
In the voice of an atheist, "Money makes the world go round"
grin

Seconded....

Na recession dey motivate dem.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by kolaish(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2016
chris7:
Today is my birthday oooo
Nairaland make una invade me with loaded prayers!
The Good Lord shall continue to shine the Light of His Countenance on you all the days of your life in JESUS NAME - AMEN.
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by kolaish(m): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2016
Good to hear your comments. But you can be part of the change in the House of God (church). You can express your feelings about offerings in the church in any forum possible. Don't just keep quiet and run away from the church, it is your father's house. There was a particular church i attended about 10 years ago and they do offerings up to 5 times. I stood up in one of the Sunday Bible Study to admonish the church about it and to my suprise other church members joined the chorus.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Mrbigman1(m): 10:47am On Oct 09, 2016
Justeenaleo:

if you were a Catholic, you know nairaland is not the right place. Why didn't you write the bishop? Is it on nairaland you want "corrective measures" to be implemented?
they advised against multiple collections probably because it takes time and as for the family thanksgiving and birthday thanksgiving the church is not Breaking any rule, so people should stop thanking God because you want to "run one or two things before noon" sometimes its even these families that beg to have their thanksgiving.
And who told you that the members were not informed?
It's not even your parish, so you dont even know what plans they have made for the thanksgiving.
It's the period of thanksgiving if you have problems with that write the bishop and stop this early morning drama.

This is a media outlets and onaikan might get hold of this easier than publishing it in the national daily or writing the bishop.

Like I said, am not here to condemn no body, I have 4 cousin priest but that shouldn't withhold me from sayn the truth. This same act u wanna exhibit made the last pope retire, "seeing and not saying".

See, I mentioned 6 offering first before talking of harvest, is 6 offering not too loud? For heavens sake, even if u re building, why not take it gently?
My parish priest was even laughing when no body was coming out again.
In my parish, if u go more than 2 or maximum 3, no body will answer u again plus st. Vincent de Paul will still go round.

Common dear, it's difficult even though u do it from ur freewill, people do it selflessly not persuasively. Cos seating on d pew while others re out is so persuasive.

Far from the offering, what about other issues?
I was in Onithsa on Monday and my sister's children wia reciting dia cathcism book and I heard some obsolete words, my sister even laughed out loud and told the children it's a lie.
Me? I was in d visitors room listening and laughing too.
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Mrbigman1(m): 11:01am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
Good to hear your comments. But you can be part of the change in the House of God (church). You can express your feelings about offerings in the church in any forum possible. Don't just keep quiet and run away from the church, it is your father's house. There was a particular church i attended about 10 years ago and they do offerings up to 5 times. I stood up in one of the Sunday Bible Study to admonish the church about it and to my suprise other church members joined the chorus.

Honestly.
My former parish priest used to hold general meeting every 6 months wia people will seat down after mass and say everything d way it affects dem.

The day dat church divided into two was wen a visiting priest washed the leg of a woman on holy Thursday.

All the warri chiefs and titled men stood up and left. It was so embarrassing honestly that wen our pp came back, no be small fight oh. Till dat, dat priest never cross the church again.

The women fought the men so hard to explain why dey dnt deserve to be chosen and the pope dose same, the chief said, European tradition is not same with urhobo people.
It was a big shame I must say.
Even though the catholic church is strongly keyed into different traditions, washing a female feet shouldn't sound and abomination.

We have female cathist and female alter server, why not wash a female's leg? Abi is she short of creation?
A lot is happening and I must continue to talk.
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Justeenaleo(f): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2016
Mrbigman1:

This is a media outlets and onaikan might get hold of this easier than publishing it in the national daily or writing the bishop.

Like I said, am not here to condemn no body, I have 4 cousin priest but that shouldn't withhold me from sayn the truth. This same act u wanna exhibit made the last pope retire, "seeing and not saying".

See, I mentioned 6 offering first before talking of harvest, is 6 offering not too loud? For heavens sake, even if u re building, why not take it gently?
My parish priest was even laughing when no body was coming out again.
In my parish, if u go more than 2 or maximum 3, no body will answer u again plus st. Vincent de Paul will still go round.

Common dear, it's difficult even though u do it from ur freewill, people do it selflessly not persuasively. Cos seating on d pew while others re out is so persuasive.

Far from the offering, what about other issues?
I was in Onithsa on Monday and my sister's children wia reciting dia cathcism book and I heard some obsolete words, my sister even laughed out loud and told the children it's a lie.
Me? I was in d visitors room listening and laughing too.
I have no problem with voicing out, I have problem with where you are voicing out, first who would take action here? nobody knows which parish you are talking about, they just know its Catholic and thats not cool.
And please one issue at a time, is it catechism? or is it the sins of the priests? or is it multiple offertory? it seems you just want to say something bad. And we both know that nothing will be done through nairaland, people will just come and agree with you that's all, how will that solve it?
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by kolaish(m): 11:04am On Oct 09, 2016
Mrbigman1:

Honestly.
My former parish priest used to hold general meeting every 6 months wia people will seat down after mass and say everything d way it affects dem.

The day dat church divided into two was wen a visiting priest washed the leg of a woman on holy Thursday.

All the warri chiefs and titled men stood up and left. It was so embarrassing honestly that wen our pp came back, no be small fight oh. Till dat, dat priest never cross the church again.

The women fought the men so hard to explain why dey dnt deserve to be chosen and the pope dose same, the chief said, European tradition is not same with urhobo people.
It was a big shame I must say.
Even though the catholic church is strongly keyed into different traditions, washing a female feet shouldn't sound and abomination.

We have female cathist and female alter server, why not wash a female's leg? Abi is she short of creation?
A lot is happening and I must continue to talk.
Interesting
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Justeenaleo(f): 11:05am On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
That's what OP should have done, he should have said it there and Then and the issue would be resolved, instead he ran home to type it on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Marvel1206: 12:35pm On Oct 09, 2016
[size=20pt] MMM[/size]
Ebaabo!!! shocked
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Marvel1206: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
Justeenaleo:

That's what OP should have done, he should have said it there and Then and the issue would be resolved, instead he ran home to type it on nairaland.

you should also know that for every major decision taken, there must be at least a reason...

But wait, you mean he should stand up in the middle of the church and start listing their faults? There are other ways to go about it
Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by chris7: 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
kolaish:
The Good Lord shall continue to shine the Light of His Countenance on you all the days of your life in JESUS NAME - AMEN.

Amen..God bless u bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Catholic Church Today by Justeenaleo(f): 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
Marvel1206:

you should also know that for every major decision taken, there must be at least a reason...

But wait, you mean he should stand up in the middle of the church and start listing their faults? There are other ways to go about it
Lol no, not exactly.
And he has already stated his reasons.

(1) (Reply)

The Manipulative Tactics Used By Nigerian Pastors By Aroms Aigbehi / Stars Falling From the Sky ? / Speaking With New Tongues [RCCG Sunday School STUDENT Manual 10 March 201

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.