Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th (4709 Views)

Poll: who wins this one?

AZ: 20% (1 vote)
Arsenal: 60% (3 votes)
Draw: 20% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (2 - 0) On 20th October 2015 / Manchester United Vs Arsenal (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 / Manchester City Vs Liverpool (3 - 0) On Tuesday 3rd January 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by edoyad(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2009
^ 2-0 Arsenal plan to score more than 2 goals unlike Atletico cool
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 19, 2009
^^^^^^
Go refigure.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by edoyad(m): 8:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
^^ grin grin . You don't say.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by rasputinn(m): 5:52am On Oct 20, 2009
FBS:

A draw! cheesy

Tell me another joke

BlueDiva:

2 - 0
Go figure.

BlueDiva:

^^^^^^
Go refigure.

Ronald Koeman admits he admires the way the Arsenal plays and has a a very healthy respect for us,so for that reason we will keep the scoreline respectable so as not to embarrass Mr Koemann
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Gooner2(m): 8:42am On Oct 20, 2009
We’ve got a big match up today and an opportunity to open up a gap at the top our our group in the Champions League. What may be interesting though is the amazing statistic that AZ have only lost once at home in 34 European ties. I think this could be a more exciting game than our previous two which were both nervy and uncomfortable ties.

With the Gunners seemingly in full stride in the league, I believe we shouldn’t be too hampered by the absences due to injury. While I expect Almunia to start in goal (sorry Vito), I wouldn’t be surprised if the boss chose to play both Sagna and Eboue (ahead of him on the right) with Bendtner, Rosicky, Eduardo and Walcott all ruled out.

The bad news yesterday was the fact that the Theo Walcott has been ruled out for three to four weeks following Liam Ridgewell’s hard tackle. The boss has also blasted Birmingham fans as being “stupid” for chanting Martin Taylor’s name after the tackle. He said;

“That was frankly atrocious. They [the Birmingham fans] will not be remembered for the quality of their taste with that kind of remark. I didn’t say a word [when I heard the chant], I just thought ‘that’s low’. ”

“Eduardo was here for the game. I don’t know how he felt about the chants. I just put that in the ranks of stupidity, you want to forget about it and not talk too much about it because there’s not a lot to say. With people like that, one starts to say something stupid, everybody follows, even intelligent people. People lose their identity together, and their sense of responsibility.”

Well said Arsene!

With Clichy back in the squad, it was cheering to hear that both Nasri and Fabianski are in line for a return to action with the reserves tonight against Wolves possibly at the Molineux. That surely increases our options and puts the other players on their toes to perform. No wonder Arsene phoned Chamakh to tell him he could no longer sign him when he realised he had too many players!

I’m very pleased at the way Diaby seems to be settling into the midfield with the absence of Denilson. Methinks come January when the Cameroon comes calling for Song, he’d fit right into a trio alongside Denilson and Cesc. I’ve always been a fan of Diaby and admittedly get frustrated when he makes one touch to many or takes ages to decide who to pass to. Nevertheless, he has shown that he has both the ability, and the vision to be part of a successful midfield trio and as it was with Song, Denilson and Bendtner, I believe he can blossom this year and possible make the French squad for South Africa should they get past their Irish hurdle!

Speaking earlier on, AZ coach Ronald Koeman pointed out an important point about Arsenal’s play this season. He said;

“We know Arsenal are very good and we know what we have to do. I saw their game against Blackburn and they could have scored 15 times! On the other hand, Blackburn had four excellent chances and scored twice. Arsenal, therefore, have defects. We must take the initiative, dominate possession and take the chances that come our way.”

This tells me that they are prepared to sit back and let Arsenal (the clear favourites in this tie) do all the playing and hope to catch them on the break and be clinical. I know our adventurous play has cost us a couple of goals this season, particularly against Manchester City but I believe that if we are clinical enough, we can put this tie to bed early on. Otherwise, we just have to outscore them! With the chances we are creating and the form of our attackers, that is all the more likely. Arsene had this to say;

“If we score goals, it is because we have the ball. To have the ball, you need to defend. That is why I believe we have a good team ethic, a good working attitude together. We all play on the same wavelength, which is why everybody scores.”

The boss also praised William Gallas’ contribution at the back this season as our ability to win games in the past has often been hampered by our defensive frailties. Our new defensive partnership has afforded big William the opportunity to be more expressive in his play (albeit defensively) as new signing Thomas Vermaelen is more than capable to sweep up the play and offer protective cover should Gallas venture upfront. Personally, I am of the opinion he still thinks he’s a second striker!

My research has shown that AZ are likely to line up in the traditional 4-4-2 formation with Hamadoui and Dembele leading the attack. I’m told that the key battle should be new dad Van Persie against Mexican Moreno in defence for AZ.

In some interesting news, Arsenal apparently sent former Captain Tony Adams as a scout to watch 16-year-old French striker Romelu Lukaku play for Andelecht at the weekend. Whilst I know next to nothing about him (like pretty much everyone else) he’s apparently being touted the next Didier Drogba! Wait! I thought that was Gael Kakuta?

First it was Atletico Madrid, now it’s Juventus who have set their sights on Emmanuel Eboue. Apparently, the Bianconeri are keen to reinforce at right back and consider him as an outstanding candidate for the position added to the fact that he also has an EU passport! To be fair there’s no chance of that happening as I don’t see Eboue leaving in January as it’s clear he loves the club and he’s hitting the form that saw him revered at Highbury in his first season at the club.

Our young guns on loan don’t seem to be doing to badly anyway, clocking up minutes; scoring goals; you know how it is! Erm ah yes! Jay Simpson grabbed his fourth goal in seven games as QPR ran out 4-0 winners against Preston om the Championship. Henri Lansbury played 90 minutes as Watford beat Middlesbrough 1-0 away at the Riverside. Gavin Hoyte also played 90 minutes as Brighton lost 2-1 away to Tranmere in League One. Good things, I hear you say!

For tonights game I’m going all out, I expect free flowing attacking football possibly with one or two early goals.

Probable Line up: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy, Song, Diaby, Fabregas, Eboue, Van Persie Arshavin

Subs: Mannone, Silvestre, Vela, Gibbs, Merida, Wilshere, Ramsay

Verdict: AZ 0 Arsenal 4

The match is live at 19:45 on Hi Sports 2

Till next time…Victoria Concordia Crescit!
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by tayoccu(m): 10:23am On Oct 20, 2009
Verdict: AZ 0 Arsenal 4

we scored 3 un-replied on our last visit (the first match @ the stadium).
it won't be bad scoring 4 today (arithmetic progression) grin
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by BinghiNya(m): 11:06am On Oct 20, 2009
I will cry in tompolo if Arsenal wins in Holland. Alkmaar 2 Arsenal 2
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by tayoccu(m): 11:26am On Oct 20, 2009
BinghiNya:

I will cry in tompolo if Arsenal wins in Holland. Alkmaar 2 Arsenal 2

not to worry you'll cry your eyes out, i'll even give you a bucket to cry into.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by v3: 12:41pm On Oct 20, 2009
This should be "eetz eazee" (like AA rightly put it) . . .

40-0

grin
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by slimshay(m): 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2009
Koeman was in charge of PSV when they put us to the sword after Shakira needlessly fouled some guy at the corner flag. He know how to play them possesion and short passing football too. He would be quite daft to do otherwise and try to park the bus. especially as he is at home.

Notwithstanding tho, there is nothing he knows how to do in team play that Arsenal does not know how to do better. So we are taking this one.

Meanwhile, who bet with Sauron we were topping our group. Please make sure you collect, cant even remember the thread so i wont bother digging. Please collect, cos the price is too good to give up.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by BinghiNya(m): 1:15pm On Oct 20, 2009
I will laugh in drogba if arsenal win in Holland
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by v3: 1:40pm On Oct 20, 2009
^^^

you'd cry in all the names u hold sacred tonight cool
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by edoyad(m): 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2009
Let's go you Red and White . grin
what happened to NL this Afternoon ? Muki , you'll be hearing from my lawyers. angry
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by AccoPen(m): 6:49pm On Oct 20, 2009
Beating AZ would be as simple as A,B,. . . . .Z.

If Arsenal is not too greedy, AZ 0:6 Arsenal is okay.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2009
here we go
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Borat1: 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2009
I wont be suprised if arsenal "thrash" (now thats the keyword - thrash) AZ. Owing to the nature of their game, they can win just about anywhere.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 7:50pm On Oct 20, 2009
pitch is so slippery
everyone is falling
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Cristalz(f): 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2009
For a second I thought Arsenal are the ones in red.  . . play was so smooth.

Men in Black, what's happening? Red and white jersey's calling the shots. grin
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Cristalz(f): 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2009
Oops. . .blue jersey.

Okay, Arsenal trying to wake up now.

@HNIC
By 'everyone' I take it you mean 'Arses', cos no AZ dude has slipped so far. grin
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by yousouph(m): 7:54pm On Oct 20, 2009
See falling. Hope this will not hamper the hammering. Looking forward to someone laughing in Drogba!
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Cristalz(f): 7:55pm On Oct 20, 2009
Aw, nice shot RVP.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 7:57pm On Oct 20, 2009
RVP should have done better!
Come on
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2009
btw, barca is a goal down at home to the minnows-rubin kazan
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by yousouph(m): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2009
@Cristalz. Go watch liverpool match in case of next weekend. Barca concede
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by duduspace(m): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2009
The team is playing with the brakes on, we definitely can up the tempo.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Sauron1: 8:00pm On Oct 20, 2009
HNIC:

RVP should have done better!
Come on

RVP is dud, abeg.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 8:02pm On Oct 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

RVP is dud, abeg.
he has 4 out of the last 5 matches.
All great beauty to watch
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by edoyad(m): 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2009
Who said Rvp too de dress ball on saturday ?
Sauron, i have your reply waiting for you.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Sauron1: 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2009
HNIC:

he has 4 out of the last 5 matches.
All great beauty to watch

Let him score 12 league goals in one season before you start creaming yourself all over.
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2009
we are being too careful.
Abeg, let's step on the gas!!!
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by HNIC(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

Let him score 12 league goals in one season before you start creaming yourself all over.
He had 20 in all competitions last season, yet he was injured for some time during the season!
Re: AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th by Sauron1: 8:08pm On Oct 20, 2009
HNIC:

He had 20 in all competitions last season, yet he was injured for some time during the season!

70% of those are penalties and direct free-kicks. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Burnley On Saturday 29th August, 12.45pm Nig Time / UCL: Real Madrid Vs Ajax (4 - 1) On 4th December 2012 / Liverpool Vs Newcastle United (3 - 1) On Friday 30th December 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.