Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? (2017 Views)

DOWNLOAD MP3 Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me Ft The Weeknd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? by Grammywinner: 11:06am On Oct 10, 2016
On the 21st day of September 2016, multi award winning Canadian star Abel Makkonen Tesfaye popularly known by his stage name The Weeknd announced the name of his third studio album, Starboy. The 18 track album will be released through Republic Records. The following day he released the title track “Starboy” which features Daft Punk.

Nigerians on hearing about the song wasted no time to bash The Weeknd and his idea of titling his new single Starboy, a phrase they claimed he stole from their very own, Wizkid. You can’t imagine all the crap Nigerians wrote on social media platforms. Imagine Nigerians quipping of The Weeknd wanting to be Wizkid. How absurd!!!

Nigerians would never stop amazing me.

Of a truth, Wizkid may have adopted the phrase
Starboy for himself and his label but that doesn’t mean he has exclusive rights to the use of the Starboy phrase. By the way he wasn’t even originally responsible for coining the phrase Star-boy. In other words he picked up that phrase from somewhere.

I looked up the word Starboy in an online dictionary and here’s what I got;

1: a womanizer, a philanderer, a man who has sex with many women.

2: a very successful male individual, one who dwells in the heights, far above his contemporaries.

From the look of things any male figure who falls under any of the above categories is free to call himself a Starboy.

After checking out lyrics to the The Weeknd’s latest single Starboy it dawned on me as to the basis for him titling his latest single and forthcoming album Starboy. I mean, going by the definition of Starboy who wouldn’t justify the Starboy claims put forward by The Weeknd. The song basically was a bragging rights piece about his achievements this year alone. 2016 has indeed been a good year for The Weeknd. Garnering 2 Grammy Awards out of his seven Grammy nominations at this year’s 58th Grammy Awards ceremony and making music history at the Billboard Music Awards ceremony held this same year where he went home with 8 Billboard Music Awards.

It’s just a shame Wizkid on hearing about the Album and song title took it personal, subscribed to the typical Nigerian mentality and labelled The Weeknd a thief and a fraudster as though he had monopoly over the Starboy phrase, a word he neither invented nor coined. Though before the evening of that same day he deleted the Tweet, some sage must have talked sense into his head.

Yes Wizkid may have had his name on the Billboard hot 100 chart as one of the contributing artists on Drake’s worldwide hit One Dance but that neither makes him a Global music star nor a bigger player in the music industry than The Weeknd. And if we are to go by a global audience casting votes as to which of the both artistes is a Starboy am certain 90℅ of the votes cast would affirm The Weeknd as being more eligible of the title Starboy.

Speaking of achievements what has Wizkid gotten for himself apart from being featured on Drake’s smash hit and maybe securing a Sony Music Worldwide Deal? By the way, till date there are still Nigerians who think Wizkid’s part on Drake’s joint was recorded over phone.lol. Even from an angle of net worth
Wizkid still pales in comparison to The Weeknd.

I would say our Nigerian music artists rid themselves of neo-schizophrenic delusions and stop thinking too highly of themselves when they haven’t even achieved any global high mark.

And to Nigerians who claim to be musically inclined but restrict themselves to Nigerian songs, folks who know nothing about music but can hop on social media platforms and spill anything they comes to mind I would advise that yall get a grip of yourselves. It won’t come as a shocker to me if y’all wake up tomorrow and claim that Flavour Nabania is a better singer than Anthony Hamilton. lol.

Am neither a hater of Wizkid nor a fan of The Weeknd, just an honest music critic.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/10/10/wizkid-not-yet-a-global-star/

Re: Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? by obinnashady(m): 11:35am On Oct 10, 2016
Mr weeknd wants to end wizzy's career.
Re: Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? by 98PrettyBoy(m): 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2016
The Weeknd's bigger than Wiz in Everything..
I wonder why this is even up for discussion?
Wake me up when Wizkid can actually Call The Weeknd out without people asking who the hell he is?

Mods abeg!
Gbera si front page..
Re: Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? by bamijiolowo: 7:03am On Oct 13, 2016
I love The-weekend song.Maybe he was inspired because of wizkid Starboy label,you know say wizkid dey roll with Drake,Chris brown and The-weekend also.
Re: Between Wizkid And The Weeknd, Who's The Starboy ? by kalushaiyke(m): 10:37am On Oct 13, 2016
Lekwa wizkid cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Addicted To Asha Music / Mtv Europe Music Awards 2011: Wizkid, Fally Ipupa, Cabo Snoop Nominated / [DOWNLOAD] Mavins – Dorobucci (official Video Trailer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.