Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? (2534 Views)

Igbo Deities Sold In A Museum Abroad (Photos) / The Aborisha and other traditional theologies / Jesus Christ And The Yoruba Gods(sango,ogun) Who Existed First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2016
Good day guys, I have searched and searched about this topic on Google but I can't find anything useful that makes sense. So I here calling on the Yoruba people on Nairaland here who know about their culture.

So over to the Yoruba people here, please what's the Yoruba Gods like? Who are they really? Are they really all blood sucking, murderous and evil like people such as native doctors who wear red and black scary attire and put Skelton skulls in shrine that makes people conclude all of them are evil?? Is our ancestors evil like the way Christians say they are evil? And why do they offer blood sacrifices like I heard..??

Please I don't need Christian folks here to come and preach anything o I want to know about the Yoruba Gods it's urgent. Please guys I need your comments.

Igbo people and other tribes here are also welcomed to talk about their Gods, I also want to learn about this deities if they are really evil.

Thanks once again everyone!

Cc: lalasticala
Cc: fynestboi
Cc: mynd44
Cc: Oga seun
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by TreasuredLeidy(f): 4:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by johnydon22(m): 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2016
they are no more evil than every other God out there, Enki, enlil, yahweh, zeus, Odin, Jupiter..

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by orisa37: 5:09pm On Oct 10, 2016
Yoruba has one God. His main reference name is Oluwa, Olorun Olodumare. Oduduwa is His son and Ifa is the Oracle and Bible. Oya, Ogun, Sango, Osun, Laroye, Obatala, Orunto etc are descriptive Spirit names and character of Olodumre.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 5:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
orisa37:
Yoruba has one God. His main reference name is Oluwa, Olorun Olodumare. Oduduwa is His son and Ifa is the Oracle and Bible. Oya, Ogun, Sango, Osun, Laroye, Obatala, Orunto etc are descriptive Spirit names and character of Olodumre.

Is oluwa the Christian God?

And who is Olodumre?
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by orisa37: 9:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
Oluwa is OLU UWA meaning Lord, The Governor of UWA, AIYE, EARTH. UWA means EARTH. Olorun owns The Heavens and That means God. Olodumare is The Almighty Spirit Creator of all Creations, such as The Seas, Oceans, The Clouds, The Hemispheres, The Earth and The Deep and below the Earth. Olodumare Is The Totality of The Mightiness of all Spirits.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2016
orisa37:
Oluwa is OLU UWA meaning Lord, The Governor of UWA, AIYE, EARTH. UWA means EARTH. Olorun owns The Heavens and That means God. Olodumare is The Almighty Spirit Creator of all Creations, such as The Seas, Oceans, The Clouds, The Hemispheres, The Earth and The Deep and below the Earth. Olodumare Is The Totality of The Mightiness of all Spirits.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any strong temple in Yoruba u can refer me to visit? I have something personal I want to do there..
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by orisa37: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
The Palaces of Yoruba Obas are Temples and Sanctuaries of ODUDUWA The Son of Olodumare. Yoruba Obas are born Chief Priests of their Palaces and The Custodians of all ethics, customs and Traditions of their people. Make friends with some Princes of some key Yoruba Palaces, let them take you to some key areas of their Palaces and you will learn a lot to reconcile for your Theses.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2016
orisa37:
The Palaces of Yoruba Obas are Temples and Sanctuaries of ODUDUWA The Son of Olodumare. Yoruba Obas are born Chief Priests of their Palaces and The Custodians of all ethics, customs and Traditions of their people. Make friends with some Princes of some key Yoruba Palaces, let them take you to some key areas of their Palaces and you will learn a lot to reconcile for your Theses.

Thanks. But making friends with princes will be hard as they are not regular people who are easy to come across
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by kjhova(m): 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
Dear @kenshinmunac,

Your interest encourages me that hope still remains for our cultures and history as Africans. Please read below my fair summary of Yoruba religion (or the Ifa corpus) and please bear in mind that one man's views can never wholly represent a subject as deep as Ifa.

In unknown time, the progenitors of the people we now refer to as Yoruba formed the concept of a sky god, "Olorun" (Lord of Heaven) who is worshipped with "kori", a string of hard palm nut shells. Olorun is acknowledged as a mono god with no pair in the cosmos. With time, as the religion evolved and as Olorun is regarded as a pair less being, the existence of many intermediary gods was admitted and these were termed "Orisas". The concept of orisa is basically hero worship and many orisas were great kings, warriors or administrators who were deified on their death.

With time, worship was directed to orisas to be conveyed to Olorun and the kori seized to be a symbol of worship and faded from memory to be replaced by several commonplace items like the "opele", palm oil, cowrie currency etc. By the end of the 18th century, the many orisas in existence had become specialized to various aspects of life e.g. Orisa n'la or Obatala (Creation), Ori (fate), Sango (thunder), Ogun (war/metallurgy), Esu (messenger/judgement), Sopona (Small pox or all diseases generally) etc.

Around the time before the Yoruba civil war broke out, newer concepts or innovations were added which include the "Egugun", "Adamuorisa" or "Gelede" (veneration of the spirit of the dead), Oro (executor) and Ifa (divination) amongst others.

I have given you as much summary of the development of the Yoruba religion as this post can allow without becoming a bore. However, bear in mind that there were multitude of cities, states and towns that comprise what we refer to today in the singular form of "Yoruba" and in time past, these people were not always one. Therefore, not all the orisas and "irumoles" were universally known or recognized. E.g. Oro was a mainly Ijebu and Egba activity, the Gelede was mostly Ondo and Awori while Ifa was accepted by all.

None of these deities or spirit beings were regarded as evil and the "blood sucking, murderous and evil...who...put Skelton skulls in shrine...people conclude all of them are evil" as you stated in your post is only due to the misrepresentation by Muslims, Christians and the mendacious Nollywood of today.

In the Yoruba concept, Olorun is mysterious and he has the capacity to do both good and evil. Man can only approach him by divination (Ifa), libation (orisas) and morality (olu iwa bi). The Yoruba religion believes in life-after-death and promotes theories like; judgement, future state and transmigration of souls (that is the return of the dead back to life in the form of a new birth).

For short, the Yoruba were not a brutish people worshiping demons as you may hear today. They were an ardent people with a sophisticated religion which fell victim to Christian/Islamic propaganda.

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 5:47pm On Oct 12, 2016
kjhova:
Dear @kenshinmunac,

Your interest encourages me that hope still remains for our cultures and history as Africans. Please read below my fair summary of Yoruba religion (or the Ifa corpus) and please bear in mind that one man's views can never wholly represent a subject as deep as Ifa.

In unknown time, the progenitors of the people we now refer to as Yoruba formed the concept of a sky god, "Olorun" (Lord of Heaven) who is worshipped with "kori", a string of hard palm nut shells. Olorun is acknowledged as a mono god with no pair in the cosmos. With time, as the religion evolved and as Olorun is regarded as a pair less being, the existence of many intermediary gods was admitted and these were termed "Orisas". The concept of orisa is basically hero worship and many orisas were great kings, warriors or administrators who were deified on their death.

With time, worship was directed to orisas to be conveyed to Olorun and the kori seized to be a symbol of worship and faded from memory to be replaced by several commonplace items like the "opele", palm oil, cowrie currency etc. By the end of the 18th century, the many orisas in existence had become specialized to various aspects of life e.g. Orisa n'la or Obatala (Creation), Ori (fate), Sango (thunder), Ogun (war/metallurgy), Esu (messenger/judgement), Sopona (Small pox or all diseases generally) etc.

Around the time before the Yoruba civil war broke out, newer concepts or innovations were added which include the "Egugun", "Adamuorisa" or "Gelede" (veneration of the spirit of the dead), Oro (executor) and Ifa (divination) amongst others.

I have given you as much summary of the development of the Yoruba religion as this post can allow without becoming a bore. However, bear in mind that there were multitude of cities, states and towns that comprise what we refer to today in the singular form of "Yoruba" and in time past, these people were not always one. Therefore, not all the orisas and "irumoles" were universally known or recognized. E.g. Oro was a mainly Ijebu and Egba activity, the Gelede was mostly Ondo and Awori while Ifa was accepted by all.

None of these deities or spirit beings were regarded as evil and the "blood sucking, murderous and evil...who...put Skelton skulls in shrine...people conclude all of them are evil" as you stated in your post is only due to the misrepresentation by Muslims, Christians and the mendacious Nollywood of today.

In the Yoruba concept, Olorun is mysterious and he has the capacity to do both good and evil. Man can only approach him by divination (Ifa), libation (orisas) and morality (olu iwa bi). The Yoruba religion believes in life-after-death and promotes theories like; judgement, future state and transmigration of souls (that is the return of the dead back to life in the form of a new birth).

For short, the Yoruba were not a brutish people worshiping demons as you may hear today. They were an ardent people with a sophisticated religion which fell victim to Christian/Islamic propaganda.

Wow thank you very much for this piece and yes not to worry, Africa is on the verge of becoming great once again as many blacks are awakening and tracing back to their roots, realizing we have been played by xianity propaganda,

Back to the topic.

Something still confuses me. Who is this olorun exactly? Is it the sky daddy of the Christians in Yoruba? Or he is a separate powerful god on his own

And who exactly is sango, orishez are they Gods under olorun?

Is olorun the head of all dietIes in Yoruba?

And also do you mean to say now that all the Yoruba traditions have been corrupted by Christianity and thus now there is no true place for one to visit like a shrine to communicate directly with the true Gods here in Nigeria?

Sorry for much questions it's really important because this information is critical to the black race in tracing back to our ancestors and the true Gods.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by orisa37: 6:29am On Oct 13, 2016
You are right. You can't google for this kind of info now. Why not approach a Kingdom directly? Go to Ile Ife or Akure for your research.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by kjhova(m): 12:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
Kenshinmunac:

Wow thank you very much for this piece and yes not to worry, Africa is on the verge of becoming great once again as many blacks are awakening and tracing back to their roots, realizing we have been played by xianity propaganda,

Back to the topic.

Something still confuses me. Who is this olorun exactly? Is it the sky daddy of the Christians in Yoruba? Or he is a separate powerful god on his own

And who exactly is sango, orishez are they Gods under olorun?

Is olorun the head of all dietIes in Yoruba?

And also do you mean to say now that all the Yoruba traditions have been corrupted by Christianity and thus now there is no true place for one to visit like a shrine to communicate directly with the true Gods here in Nigeria?

Sorry for much questions it's really important because this information is critical to the black race in tracing back to our ancestors and the true Gods.

Firstly, I believe in cultural integration and human harmony so I don't subsribe much to this "blacks back to root" thing. True knowledge seekers must have same interest in Christianity, Islam or Buddha as they desire for Ifa. Same way you are going nowhere in science with so much zeal for physics and no interest in Biology.

To the topic, as you prefer;

Anthropological knowledge suggests that all cultures had a sky God of some sort. The Yoruba Olorun came into consciousness independently of the Christian Yahweh or Muslim Allah as the Ifa religion predates Yoruba contact with Maghreb or the West.

I believe that my previous topic gave proper explanation of the origin of the orisas including Sango. We may never know the details as these events occured in an era before the introduction of writing.

Yes, Olorun (Olu Orun or Eledu ma re) is the supreme being in the pantheon. The king of the gods exactly like Zeus (or Jove) in the Grecco-Roman religion.

Yes, most of Africa's traditional religions have been negatively impacted by Christianity and Islam. However there are loads of places you can go to for spiritual fulfilment if you desire. I may not be the best guide to these places thou, as I am an atheist and thus don't take much delight in religious places.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Kenshinmunac(m): 12:47pm On Oct 13, 2016
kjhova:

Firstly, I believe in cultural integration and human harmony so I don't subsribe much to this "blacks back to root" thing. True knowledge seekers must have same interest in Christianity, Islam or Buddha as they desire for Ifa. Same way you are going nowhere in science with so much zeal for physics and no interest in Biology.

To the topic, as you prefer;

Anthropological knowledge suggests that all cultures had a sky God of some sort. The Yoruba Olorun came into consciousness independently of the Christian Yahweh or Muslim Allah as the Ifa religion predates Yoruba contact with Maghreb or the West.

I believe that my previous topic gave proper explanation of the origin of the orisas including Sango. We may never know the details as these events occured in an era before the introduction of writing.

Yes, Olorun (Olu Orun or Eledu ma re) is the supreme being in the pantheon. The king of the gods exactly like Zeus (or Jove) in the Grecco-Roman religion.

Yes, most of Africa's traditional religions have been negatively impacted by Christianity and Islam. However there are loads of places you can go to for spiritual fulfilment if you desire. I may not be the best guide to these places thou, as I am an atheist and thus don't take much delight in religious places.

OK thanks a lot you have answered my Question, all I have to do now is find the temple in Yoruba land. A temple not corrupted.

I don't see why you should be an atheist when youbonow all these. There is so much you can do hidden in yourself. If only you would let it out and let the Gods of humanity guide you. Who nor go. Nor go fit know.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by kjhova(m): 3:01am On Oct 14, 2016
Kenshinmunac:

OK thanks a lot you have answered my Question, all I have to do now is find the temple in Yoruba land. A temple not corrupted.

I don't see why you should be an atheist when youbonow all these. There is so much you can do hidden in yourself. If only you would let it out and let the Gods of humanity guide you. Who nor go. Nor go fit know.

Thanks for your concern, man. I appreciate that. however, I'd rather be guided by common sense and a rational brain. Regards.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by Nobody: 3:55am On Oct 14, 2016
They are.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by newdawn2017(f): 7:05am On Nov 21, 2016
[quote author=johnydon22 post=50085293]they are no more evil than every other God out there, Enki, enlil, yahweh, zeus, Odin, Jupiter..[/quote Whaat!!! How dare u? Yahweh is d living God if d Bible. In Hebrew language d name is Yahweh; however when translated 2 English language it translates as Jehovah
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by johnydon22(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2016
newdawn2017:
Whaat!!!
How dare u? Yahweh is d living God if d Bible. In Hebrew language d name is
Yahweh; however when translated 2 English language it translates as Jehovah

I know yahweh is the god of the jews portrayed in the bible, i know exactly what i said... Enki is also a living God of the Gilgamesh epic so there is nothing special here.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by tintingz(m): 11:00am On Nov 21, 2016
Yoruba Gods are not evil but Gods with just judgment.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by ScienceWatch: 12:50am On Nov 24, 2016
There can be no more tragic expression of human foolishness and perversity than the Jewish nations rejection of The Messiah and the Pentecostal PNF rejection of the Holy Prophet TB Joshua. What is happening in the holy Scoan church Nigeria, was meant first for the Jewish nation, but tragically they rejected the awesome power.

In spite of hundreds of years of waiting and studying their scriptures concerning the coming of the MIRACLES, SIGNS AND WONDERS brought by the messiah Jesus Christ, they dismissed him and instigated his destruction. Two thousand years later, Israel is still rejecting the Messiah Jesus Christ. But Jesus lives on.

WARNING! NIGERIANS DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THE JEWS MADE !
Jesus Christ’s birth, His miracles and Prophecies as demonstrated in the Holy Scoan Church Nigeria, Jesus’ mastery of satin, His cruel death, His forgiveness of his murderers and His resurrection from the grave was needed as verifiable evidence of the mystical, supernatural creation nature of the only true God.

The Light of the only true God cannot be destroyed! God will not be mocked!
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by ScienceWatch: 1:01am On Nov 24, 2016
Kenshinmunac:
Good day guys, I have searched and searched about this topic on Google but I can't find anything useful that makes sense. So I here calling on the Yoruba people on Nairaland here who know about their culture.

So over to the Yoruba people here, please what's the Yoruba Gods like? Who are they really? Are they really all blood sucking, murderous and evil like people such as native doctors who wear red and black scary attire and put Skelton skulls in shrine that makes people conclude all of them are evil?? Is our ancestors evil like the way Christians say they are evil? And why do they offer blood sacrifices like I heard..??

Please I don't need Christian folks here to come and preach anything o I want to know about the Yoruba Gods it's urgent. Please guys I need your comments.

Igbo people and other tribes here are also welcomed to talk about their Gods, I also want to learn about this deities if they are really evil.

Thanks once again everyone!

Cc: lalasticala
Cc: fynestboi
Cc: mynd44
Cc: Oga seun
The best Place to learn about Yoruba Gods is from people testifying in the Holy Scoan Church Nigeria or on Emmanuel TV.

The Holy Books Of ACTS has come alive in the Holy Scoan Church Nigeria.

The sincere suffering masses from all religions and cults world wide, finally have scientific verifiable evidence that the Messiah, Jesus Christ came to usher in a new covenant through the Holy Scoan Church, Nigeria. The Scoan church provide 24hr transmission on Emmanuel TV world wide that provides abundant evidence of the full LOVE of the Father for the masses, which is free deliverance from Demons, free healing even from terminal sickness and free material blessings and all kind of breakthrough. MIRACLES, SIGNS AND WONDERS.
Re: Who Are The Yoruba Gods and other traditional deities? Are They Really Evil?? by lawani: 4:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
In Yoruba Theology, Olodumare Or Olorun is the chief deity and creator God while there is a plurality of deities from the personal ori to ancestors and nature, there are also general orisas that represent different energies.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes / Why You Should masturbate / Prayers Against Eating In The Dream PRAYER POINTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.