Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,175 members, 7,842,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary (19537 Views)

Investigate The Source Of Cash Used For PDP Convention - APC Tells EFCC / "Buhari Must Investigate El-rufai Over Yar’adua’s Death" - Senator Shehu Sani / We Arrest Boko Haram Members In Lagos Almost On Daily Basis – Army General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by lookingfly: 9:56pm On Oct 11, 2016
When Bubu was arresting and prosecuting his political enemies, you ppl didn't complain. Note is your turn to be dealt with.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Mboi2: 10:08pm On Oct 11, 2016
AntiIPOOP:

Trash!

It's only in Nigeria you'll see people especially the flat-heads supporting corrupt individuals. The Judges have been under surveillance and every sane Nigerian believe it's time to clean up the judiciary.

Wail harder, iPod yoot, yeemu

6 days to go for our dilector to reach 1 year in jail grin
And it doesn't stop your hunger. IPOB giving you heart attack always. Keep hating IPOB and keep dieing. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by elbaraj001(m): 10:09pm On Oct 11, 2016
blueto:
If the certificateless despot could “regularly skip school and was oftenly flogged by the schoolmaster” for his insubordination, untamed and wanton characters, then how do you expect him to have regards for due process and the rule of law? Both the global and local courts have ruled against the odious malfeasance of this govt, but the certificateless despot have proven to be recalcitrant.

It is a pity that APC media conduits have been able to hoax credulous Nigerians into developing a misleading impression that the NJC is not doing enough to discipline and recommend recusant and recidivating judges for prosecution, thus, that enabled the SSS to have a tenable reason on why they should invade the homes of Judges and extrajudicially apprehending them without any tenable substantiation.
U don finish?
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by armadeo(m): 10:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
snailspeed:

Anyone who advocates for dictatorship is an extremist like Buhari with an evil Islamic agenda. We know that's wehat Buhari wants. The corruption excuse is lame. Find another excuse. grin

I never said buhari was or is the answer. I said a benevolent dictator.

My only grouse is the concept of absolute power when it corrupts it does so absolutely.

That being said considering the number of people who have to have thier say before any thing can happen, do you honestly think things would work in this country. From presidency to Senate to reps to governors.

We need one man one mission. Such a person would transcend tribe and religion.

Look what Rawlins did to Ghana. It's still us that are trying to mess things up there.

Dude think deeply about what I said.

One man one mission. Absolute power to fudill the mission. Believe me it would work faster than all this long story. Naija would change in the space of a year when people know they would pay for thier actions.

Simple. Until then let's enjoy the reccesion together

1 Like

Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 11:12pm On Oct 11, 2016
Sinkills:
So to you anybody that is accused or arrested by the government is already guilty. What if you or your relative is accused of what you know nothing about by a highly placed individual or mistakenly and people rush and beat you up or you are jailed on the basis of the accusation? Or you think it is not possible? So do not rush to condemn anybody as you may be the next victim. But if they are guilty, let them face the music only let it be done according to laid down principles. Thanks.

nobody is saying they're guilty, let them go and clear their name, simple.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 11:16pm On Oct 11, 2016
Sinkills:
God will only bless and strengthen him if he is doing the right thing with a right motive. You cannot use God as an instrument to justify abuse of power, lawlessness, vindictiveness and injustice because you have access to power. God can neither be deceived nor mocked. Let us stop using God's name in vain.

Abuse of power indeed. I use God because I believe in God and I believe God will answer my prayer by strengthening the President to keep doing what we voted him to do.

#Ingrates
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by legalgoon: 11:39pm On Oct 11, 2016
allanphash7:
Justice Ayo Isa Salami was rough handed, illegally suspended and forcefully expelled from the bench, there was no a single response from NBA.

A promising young lawyer was killed in Rivers state recently, not even a statement from NBA.

Several courts proceedings/sittings disrupted in Ekiti and a High Court Judge was even slapped by Fayose, not even a press release by the NBA;

Corrupt Justices were apprehended and to be prosecuted, a powerful response from NBA, threatening a show down; who is fooling who for goodness sake?

Let's all shame the NBA;
Let's declare our support for the ongoing war on corruption;

No matter who you are, or where you are; Executive, Judiciary or Legislature if you do anyhow you shall see any how.
Chikenan!

Lool.. I've met peeps like you.
You most likely didn't do a professional course . All those physics or library technology people.
So everything about learned respectable professionals is a problem for you.
Well, in the first instance, the powers that be and salamis lack of diplomacy were the reasons the NBA didn't scream. Mind you I clearly remember they spoke. In fact at the time it caused a division amongs lawyers in the NBA.
As for the second, I'm very sure all the the lawyers in that state are aware of the young wigs demise. At least most if not all. My brother to also know that like in all spheres of life, only iconic and extraordinary people receive such treatment. Mind you the NBA in that state doesn't require a statement to the public informing them of the death of the young man. A message to all lawyers in the state. The former is the job of his family. The NBA may do so, but it is not compelled.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Origin(f): 11:47pm On Oct 11, 2016
It still comes back to you. How have you been interpreting the law. What precedence has been set. Besides the DSS had to have done some investigating to know where and with whom it would find money (especially now we are hiding money on farmlands).

You cannot prosecute your own especially I criminal matters. It's clearly wrong. The CJN should not prosecute criminal cases of its members. Neither should the army or professional bodies. They can only give verdicts on disciplinary issues like lateness, absence from work, inappropriate dress or conduct etc
This is the right thing to do.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Origin(f): 12:00am On Oct 12, 2016
It still comes back to you. How have you been interpreting the law. What precedence has been set. Besides the DSS had to have done some investigating to know where and with whom it would find money (especially now we are hiding money on farmlands).

You cannot prosecute your own especially I criminal matters. It's clearly wrong. The CJN should not prosecute criminal cases of its members. Neither should the army or professional bodies
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by COG123(m): 12:15am On Oct 12, 2016
Mahmud Mohammed, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, has confronted President Muhammadu Buhari in a face-to-face meeting in the Presidential Villa following the weekend crackdown on federal judges and two Supreme Court justices by the country’s secret police, The Trent can exclusively report.

The meeting, which held in the morning of Monday, October 10, 2016, was at the instance of the Honourable Justice Mohammed, multiple sources reveal.

Present at the meeting were Lawal Daura, the director-general of the Department of State Security Services, DSS, which serves as the country’s secret police and the president of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Babatunde Adejumo.

Our findings are that the meeting was very tense and the chief justice did not mince words when addressing the president on the matter. The visibly infuriated CJN tongue-lashed the president for violating the democratic principles of separation of powers and assuming the unconstitutional status of “supervisor” of the judiciary, an independent arm of government.

RELATED: Presidency Confirms That President Buhari Sanctioned DSS Crackdown On Judges

Justice Mohammed accused President Buhari of victimizing the judges targeted in the midnight crackdown by the DSS for refusing to be intimidated by the secret police over the matters of the election petitions of Rivers and Akwa Ibom states.

According to one of our top inside sources, the CJN exposed a series of scare and intimidation tactics carried out by the DSS director general, a kinsman to President Buhari, to make the bench bow to its wishes and overturn the judgement against the current governors of the two oil-rich states.

Mohammed expressly accused the DSS DG of using the name of President Buhari in carrying out what he called an “unprecedented attempt to influence the bench and pervert justice” in the country. The president was visibly upset by the revelations and repeatedly denied knowledge of such harassment of judges by the DSS.

Mr. Daura attempted to deny knowledge of such subterranean moves and claimed that the judges that were arrested, in what the secret police wrongly termed as “sting operation”, were corrupt. A claim which saw the CJN shout him down telling him to shut up and sit down.

After lambasting the secret police boss, Justice Mohammed proceeded to unreel instances in which Daura contacted judges handling the election petition cases claiming that ruling in favour of the All Progressives Congress, APC, candidates was “what President Buhari wanted”. Again, the president denied issuing such instructions.

The CJN also revealed that the minister of transportation, Rotimi Amaechi offered the judges millions of dollars to overturn their ruling on the two election petitions. He said the honourable justices rebuffed Amaechi because they were hellbent on delivering a sound judgment on the cases which had been unduly sensationalised by politicians.

Justice Mohammed revealed that Amaechi also said that he was acting on the orders of the president and that in actual fact, the judges arrested over the weekend were those who refused to be corrupted by the DSS and Amaechi and insisted on preserving the independence and integrity of the bench.

On this revelation, Buhari presented a disturbed contenance, our sources say. The president requested that the CJN puts down his position in writing, which we are reliably informed has been done.

Insiders revealed to The Trent that the climate in Aso Rock is unusually tense following the posture and damning revelations by the CJN.

There are whispers in the corridors that based on the gravity of the allegations against the DSS director and Amaechi, Buhari may let go of the duo to “clear his name from the embarrassing episode’, a top security source told our reporter.

Justice Mohammed went on to describe the DSS action as “very saddening”, “deeply regrettable” and a “distressing and unfortunate” incident when he later addressed the valedictory court session held in honour of a retiring Justice of the Supreme Court, Suleiman Galadima. The attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami was conspicuously absent at the event on Monday.

In the early hours of Saturday, October 8, 2016, operatives of the county’s secret police invaded the homes of a number of senior judges and abducted some of them from the homes under the guise of an anti-corruption battle.

“My lords, invited guests, ladies and gentlemen, not to detract from this occasion, it is indeed very saddening and deeply regrettable, the distressing and unfortunate incident which occurred on Friday, October 7 and Saturday, October 8, 2016,” Mohammed said at the valedictory court session held in honour of a retiring Justice of the Supreme Court, Suleiman Galadima

President Buhari appointed Lawal Daura, his kinsman from his hometown in Katsina on July 2, as head of the DSS after firing Ita Ekpeyong. Daura was recalled from retirement as he had retired from the service of the DSS when he reached the mandatory age of 60 according to the Civil Service rules of Nigeria. He is also a member of Buhari’s political party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) and served on the security committee for Buhari’s presidential campaign.

While the election petitions were being heard at the courts, the INEC resident electoral commissioners (RECs) for Akwa Ibom, Austin Okojie, was detained and tortured for 13 days and his Rivers State counterpart, Gesila Khan , was also detained for two weeks by Nigeria’s secret police. The harassment, detention, and torture of electoral officials of the two oil rich states was reportedly connected with the interest of President Buhari in reclaiming electoral victory from main opposition party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in those states.

None of the INEC officials detained by the DSS have been charged with any crime and the election petitions were eventually ruled in favour of the PDP by the Supreme Court.

http://www.thetrentonline.com/chief-justice-nigeria-confronts-buhari/
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by InvertedHammer: 2:29am On Oct 12, 2016
/
The NBA secretary probably "sorted" his way through law school.
Investigation does not necessarily come before arrest.
A suspect can be arrested if caught in the act. Also, "probable cause" is a good excuse for an arrest before full investigation. It seemed that DSS contacted NJC with the evidence against the judges and NJC failed to act accordingly. Did the evidence come without investigations?

It is funny that people who are corrupt by not following due process would want due process to be followed in their arrest/prosecution. And the sufferheads who do not gain a nickel from the corrupt transactions are quick to come to the defense.

/

1 Like

Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Dadsonval(f): 6:51am On Oct 12, 2016
Na today?
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by NokiaN8(m): 7:25am On Oct 12, 2016
poeple But it is otherwise. People arise, Nigeria is a name used by few thieves to deceive the masses of good will, but when they are wicked hearted,God's punishment would be on their generations and they shall be fogotten and be blown away as waste products. God arise with your punishment and inflict sorrow on the wicked once in this country(Nigeria).
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 7:32am On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

Abuse of power indeed. I use God because I believe in God and I believe God will answer my prayer by strengthening the President to keep doing what we voted him to do.

#Ingrates
If what you voted him to do is to use power to victimize and intimidate others, then I assure you, He does not answer such. Thanks.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 7:39am On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

nobody is saying they're guilty, let them go and clear their name, simple.
But according to you and your likes, the DSS arrested 'corrupt' judges. Or is it not what you implied in your earlier statement? I am not in support of corruption. I am also not in support of abuse of power, selective anti-graft war or intimidation of the judiciary or opposition under the guise of fighting corruption. Thanks.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 7:53am On Oct 12, 2016
AntiIPOOP:

My brother, half Bread is better than chinchin, let the fight against corruption be selective
That is where you and your likes are totally wrong. By this argument, you are unwittingly making a dictator out of the president. You are encouraging him to corrupt his power by using it to fight and crush perceived personal enemies. It shows therefore that you and the president (if he buys your idea) are not really fighting corruption but merely eliminating oppositions to your political ambitions. Let me tell you, the person who refuses to fight corruption (though not good enough) is morally more righteous than the person who is telling lies to the world that he is fighting corruption whereas he is fighting the opposition while shielding his election financiers and cronies who are equally if not more corrupt. That is hypocricy (as opposed to integrity which he is famed for). Do not continue to support injustice if you do not not want to be a victim of selective injusice. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by engrchykae(m): 9:23am On Oct 12, 2016
AntiIPOOP:

Trash!

It's only in Nigeria you'll see people especially the flat-heads supporting corrupt individuals. The Judges have been under surveillance and every sane Nigerian believe it's time to clean up the judiciary.

Wail harder, iPod yoot, yeemu

6 days to go for our dilector to reach 1 year in jail grin
but the oblong heads are majority in the judiciary.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 11:38am On Oct 12, 2016
Sinkills:
But according to you and your likes, the DSS arrested 'corrupt' judges. Or is it not what you implied in your earlier statement? I am not in support of corruption. I am also not in support of abuse of power, selective anti-graft war or intimidation of the judiciary or opposition under the guise of fighting corruption. Thanks.

This is Nigeria, nothing like abuse of power, they (DSS efcc) usually take them in while investigation continue because they don't cooperate if they're not arrested and they try everything possible to truncate the investigation.

You should know these things.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 11:41am On Oct 12, 2016
Sinkills:
If what you voted him to do is to use power to victimize and intimidate others, then I assure you, He does not answer such. Thanks.

We voted him to be hard on corruption which is exactly what he is doing.
Whatever name you call it is OK, the corrupt and people like you won't like it but sorry, they is nothing you can do about it.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 2:18pm On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

We voted him to be hard on corruption which is exactly what he is doing.
Whatever name you call it is OK, the corrupt and people like you won't like it but sorry, they is nothing you can do about it.
Well God who you directed your prayers to knows if the president is hard on corruption totally or only hard on the corrupt in the opposition and judiciary. God who you directed the prayers to also knows his motive for the 'fight against corruption'. So if the president is sincere, may He keep and strengthen him to continue the fight. But if the president is not fighting corruption but merely destroying the opposition and/or forcing the judiciary to toe his line, then may he be dethroned and replaced by a more sincere leader in Jesus' name, Amen.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 2:25pm On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

This is Nigeria, nothing like abuse of power, they (DSS efcc) usually take them in while investigation continue because they don't cooperate if they're not arrested and they try everything possible to truncate the investigation.

You should know these things.
So you mean it is not possible that the president who has vested interest in the decisions of the judges may not be using this as a ploy to intimidate them to be doing his bidding? If the president were a neutral party, it would have been commendable. But that seems not to be the case. Or don't you think so?
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 2:29pm On Oct 12, 2016
Sinkills:
So you mean it is not possible that the president who has vested interest in the decisions of the judges may not be using this as a ploy to intimidate them to be doing his bidding? If the president were a neutral party, it would have been commendable. But that seems not to be the case. Or don't you think so?

which bidding and how is the President not being neutral. you guys are too sentimental.

What did your fair and neutral President did for us and to reduce corruption in Nigeria?
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 2:29pm On Oct 12, 2016
Sinkills:

which bidding and how is the President not being neutral. you guys are too sentimental.

What did your fair and neutral President do for us and to reduce corruption in Nigeria?
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 4:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

What did your fair and neutral President do for us and to reduce corruption in Nigeria?
Can you see yourself? Instead of a sincere answer, you want to derail the thread by bringing in the immediate past president. You mean you are not aware that the current president wants all court cases to favour his political party? The former president to the best of my knowledge never pretended to be fighting corruption by targeting the opposition and intimidating the judiciary. That does not make him a saint or exonerate him of any wrong. Our current president has vested interests in the cases at the judiciary. To that extent, he is not a neutral party. As such. this 'fight against corruption' targeted at the judiciary and the way and manner it was handled calls the sincerity of the president into question. You can pretend not to know what I am saying.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by lagdmark(m): 4:51pm On Oct 12, 2016
nairagreatman:
It is also only in Nigeria that judges who swore to uphold the cause of justice as the last hope of the common man turn round collect bribes , thwart justice and become the frustration of the common man. It also only in Nigeria that lawyers throw away their professional

integrity and facilitate bribary of judges by politicians and frustration of corruption cases. It is also only in Nigeria that peoplle we all know are thieves are still occupying positions of honour with intension to continue to control us tomorrow. Nigerians be wise. The same people keeping your civilization in their bank accounts at home and abroad wants to deceive us. This is the first time we are getting a man as president who can freighten corrupt generals , cabals, hitherto untoucheable politicians. We should all support him.
No be to Arrest be the koko, na to Prosecute dem in court and sentence dem . bihari always starts a war he can't finish
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by CoolFreeday(m): 6:10pm On Oct 12, 2016
Sinkills:
Can you see yourself? Instead of a sincere answer, you want to derail the thread by bringing in the immediate past president. You mean you are not aware that the current president wants all court cases to favour his political party? The former president to the best of my knowledge never pretended to be fighting corruption by targeting the opposition and intimidating the judiciary. That does not make him a saint or exonerate him of any wrong. Our current president has vested interests in the cases at the judiciary. To that extent, he is not a neutral party. As such. this 'fight against corruption' targeted at the judiciary and the way and manner it was handled calls the sincerity of the president into question. You can pretend not to know what I am saying.

its so unfortunate that someone like you that sound like a learned guy will be reasoning this way. you think if the President decide to interfere in Court cases, the party will lose? today his party is losing cases because he refused to be involved.
there are high level corrupt cases in the judiciary, even before this administration came in. I have heard of some, including govt lawyers.
You should reason better than this please.
Re: It’s Only In Nigeria We Arrest Before We Investigate, Says NBA Secretary by Sinkills: 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
CoolFreeday:

its so unfortunate that someone like you that sound like a learned guy will be reasoning this way. you think if the President decide to interfere in Court cases, the party will lose? today his party is losing cases because he refused to be involved.
there are high level corrupt cases in the judiciary, even before this administration came in. I have heard of some, including govt lawyers.
You should reason better than this please.
Yes his party lost some. Apparently he is not happy about it and now wants to intervene according to you so that the judges will not dare rule against his party henceforth. But he has to use corruption as a smokescreen. If all the cases had gone his way, I don't think all these interventions will come up. I am saying this because of the president's antecedents since he resumed office. He seems to pay blind eye to corruption when it applies to his loyalists but very hard when it applies to the opposition or those who are not in the same page with him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pantami: Forces Against NIN Policy Behind Attacks Against Me / In Fresh Overtures, Atiku Recruits Ex-PDP Govs, Leaders To Pacify Wike’s Camp / Kogi Guber: Anxiety As APC Chieftains Pressure Aspirants To Step Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.