Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice (33573 Views)

British Council Recruitment: Exams Officer (two Roles – Lagos & Abuja) / How Being Informed Got Me A Job With An International Organisation. / Is This Job Alert For Assistant Exam Officers At WAEC Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
GraceAndFavour:
Please I need the advice of informed, experienced and intelligent people on this forum.

I have two job offers before me and I must make a choice between them immediately. Below is little information about the two positions.

1. EXAMINATIONS OFFICER AT BRITISH COUNCIL
This is a graduate position at the starter level of Pay Band 4 with a monthly net pay a little above N200k. The following are my points of attraction to this position:
(a) The organization has a world-class reputation
(b) The working environment is world-class and very ICT complaint.
(c) Location advantage.
(d) 13th and 14th month salaries with good pension plan.
(e) Probation period is 3 months.

Despite the above, I have some reservations which includes that the position is a junior staff position and it is an indefinite contract.

2. ASSISTANT REGISTRAR AT WAEC
This is an experienced and international position at grade level 9. The monthly net pay may be less than that of British Council above. My attractions to this position are:
(a) The reputation of the organization.
(b) The position is international and senior.
(c) The job security and the fact that it is permanent/full-time.
(d) Sure of growth and future.

But despite the above too, my reservations include that the pay may be less than that of BC and that it may not come with as much exposure as the BC.

Please, advise me on which to go for and why.

That WAEC job won't be more than N120,000..

I am telling you.

Go for the pay figure you already know.
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by idesylvester(m): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2016
Guy if u letter choose one pls look 4 anoda jobless or any1 that's in need of a new job and try c if u can b of help

Advice: think about d future nt nw n money... then pray to God Almighty

2 Likes

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by lindiwey: 4:29pm On Oct 12, 2016
If I was working with WAEC and I get BC offer I will jejely resign..you will get better experience and exposure, u can work with any international organisation having worked with BC. WAEC level 9 salary will be about 70k..the big question is do u want to work for the FG or an international organisation. choose wisely!
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by lekonso: 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2016
The work environment is very important. You will enjoy the work environment in BC.

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by SonofHim: 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2016
How did I get here sef? I don't know jack about waec or BC.
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by justwise(m): 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2016
Frostty:
bro i will advice u go 4 waec,coz as u said BC is indefinite contract maening it can be terminated @ any point in time

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by jashar(f): 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2016
hahn:

And if he is a muslim?

He should do whatever they do. smiley

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by justwise(m): 4:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
GraceAndFavour:
Please I need the advice of informed, experienced and intelligent people on this forum.

I have two job offers before me and I must make a choice between them immediately. Below is little information about the two positions.

This is a graduate position at the starter level of Pay Band 4 with a monthly net pay a little above N200k. The following are my points of attraction to this position:
(c) Location advantage.

Despite the above, I have some reservations which includes that the position is a junior staff position and it is an indefinite contract.

This is an experienced and international position at grade level 9. The monthly net pay may be less than that of British Council above. My attractions to this position are:

But despite the above too, my reservations include that the pay may be less than that of BC and that it may not come with as much exposure as the BC.

Go for BC because the reputation will do your CV a lot of good. Payment in $ will give you more financial security
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by justwise(m): 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
Keneking:
Ass Registrar any day shocked

Shortcomings with 1. EXAMINATIONS OFFICER AT BRITISH COUNCIL

1. Enrollment for exams threatened due to GBP rates/fluctuations.
2. Foreign travels low.
3. Job satisfaction due to contract nature.
4. Uncertainties created by economic conditions such as recession.

..and the naira is doing great i think?
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Mayflowa(m): 4:51pm On Oct 12, 2016
bumba1234:
Hello,

i advise you for for the BC job. Exposure is enormous, it carries more weight on your resume and it is more prestigious organisation that WAEC.

An examination officer is meant for high school level. He won't grow because he isn't a real staff. Moreso, he will constantly feel a bit of racism and suspicion. Or you don't know white looks down on black.

You don't wanna be at British Council.Way from your own doing junior level job. WAEC is 100mile better. His growth will be fast. At that level, he is already a senior staff with weight of respects. Dignity is all you want from life. Of course, WAEC pays better than BC
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by mechanics(m): 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2016
GraceAndFavour:

(c) Location advantage.

just pray to God 4 guidiance.
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Jacobx007: 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2016
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Jacobx007: 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2016
lindiwey:
If I was working with WAEC and I get BC offer I will jejely resign..you will get better experience and exposure, u can work with any international organisation having worked with BC. WAEC level 9 salary will be about 70k..the big question is do u want to work for the FG or an international organisation. choose wisely!
Level 9 in WAEC About 70k? Guy you are not serious oooooo lol
Am level 7 and my pay is way above that

2 Likes

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by piagetskinner(m): 5:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
Everyone is just Talkin about allowances and salaries....no one is asking whether their staff go through training and development programs that make them better and efficient employees
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Alhaji1970: 5:06pm On Oct 12, 2016
My Brother, take WAEC job!
grin grin grin
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Melonny(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
So those guys that monitor and supervise the ACCA exam earns more than 200k...if I were you, I will go for the British council job.
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Jobabori(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
I am surprise that some people are advising the OP to go for BC in order to boost his CV. Are you advising him to continue seeking for one job after another for life? You stay in a job and build your carrier there. Please OP do not choose BC so that when you are no more there your CV will be attractive. Choose a permanent and pensionable job for the sake of future. Remember there will come a time that age will not be on your side again, no matter the richness of your CV

5 Likes

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by nnemak(m): 5:12pm On Oct 12, 2016
Since the BC job is contract and a far lower level i dont understand why you are even considering it.

But if because you feel you want to add BC in your resume, my suggestion would be accept both and defer resumption at WAEC for 3 months (if possible)while you get your 3months contract staff expirence with BC. When you resume in WAEC am sure you would never wish your enemy contract staff job
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by IrradiatoR: 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
GraceAndFavour:
Please GodnGold, Mopolchi, Amkaro, IrradiatoR, SirBrightoc, grami, superflakky, calfranc, shakurpaul, I need your contributions.

Mods, please help me out.

Consider this

amkaro:
There are so many things I'll want u to consider.
1. How high can u rise in British Council?
2. How often do u get promoted?
3. Is ur salary incremental as u grow higher or static?
4. Is the job safe? Check out thr hire and fire policy
5. What are the other allowances and benefits in BC?

My advice, look beyond pay.

What I know u can get as an AR in WAEC

1. A very senior staff
2. The pay is good enough for starters. U will be shocked wen u get d offer letter or ur first pay. I know they pay than most organizations entry level apart from Oil and Gas.
3. Juicy bonuses
4. Safe job, timely promotion, and steady pay
5. Exposure ( locally and internationally)
......and more.

British Council is sweeter from pay band 6, trust me!

God's Guidance is the Best
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Legend87(m): 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
GraceAndFavour:

(c) Location advantage.

Since u can't chose between right & left, pls, take my advice... The both isn't good enough for u. They seem too big and above ur level. So, go to a Local Govt. Sec sch & take up a teaching job.
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by kinstinct(m): 5:23pm On Oct 12, 2016
I have been struggling to understand why you are comparing these opportunities!

There is nothing specifically better with BC. I doubt if BC pays natioals in anything other than Naira. There is nothing special working with the White but frustration.

Take WAEC and settle down to plan your future.

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by jacobnel(m): 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2016
Go for the Waec offer,cos is a fulltime job,The British council offer contract can be terminated at anytime and put you back to the labour market again....Please choose Waec offer cos will have the opportunity to grow there .Thanks.
quote author=GraceAndFavour post=50123140]Please I need the advice of informed, experienced and intelligent people on this forum.

(c) Location advantage.

Please, advise me on which to go for and why.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Emperoh(m): 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2016
A couple of misconceptions;

BC job is not contract with a definite date; that is why it says indefinite. Indefinite means it has no limit. Hence it is permanent unless you are sacked, or you resign.

BC does not pay in Dollars or pounds unless you are NOT a locally employed staff. It is pure Naira. However, you receive an annual salary increase around 8 to 10 per cent of your current pay package. It is called Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) to basically respond to inflationary trends. This is applicable to all BC positions Worldwide

You will not rise above Pay Band 4 unless there is an opening on a higher band. In which case, you will apply and go through the same competition with external applicants. Again, there is no horizontal movement, it is parallel. For instance, you come in at 200k per annum on pay band 4, you will only keep receiving your usual COLA every year. JD will likely remains the same, no new challenges probable. Unless there is an opening on a higher pay band and you apply and become successful. Then you move up; else, you will remain on Bank 4 until you get tired of BC and leave, but never the same pay.

The BC job is pensionable via your usual Pencom act. Monthly contribution, deducted from source etc. You have an ok health insurance etc, 13th and 14th. Be aware though, that these are all built up together to make up your annual pay.

Now, to the koko of your job. The BC exams team is one hell of a terrible team to work in. You got no breathing space. If this role is Lagos based, add backbiting and poor team cohesion to the mix. You will normally say this exists everywhere and I agree. But it is pins and needles and office politics. THERE IS A HIGH PERSONNEL TURN OVER in the Exams Team. Reason, BC does not want to hear, that the integrity of any of the exams it administers on behalf of foreign organisations was tampered with. So, any slight case of compromise puts you one leg out of the door. Be VERY AWARE OF THIS

But the job will give you exposure and challenge you. It can also be rewarding. But please, define your career path before you sign that letter.

Goodluck in your choices!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by linsa01(m): 5:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
Go for WAEC. I served in their Yaba HQ and I know the status of AR. You will earn up to d 200k you are looking at in BC. Are you a subject officer? You will be engaged in various assignments and be paid allowances. You'll all have access to international trainings. WAEC is also international.

7 Likes

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by FaroukM(m): 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
WAEC is ok...with the allowance u will receive frm waec u will almost balance up with BC and there is sure promotion...promotion and job security is very important when choosing the right job

2 Likes

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
justwise:

..and the naira is doing great i think?

Justwise... grin

Naira is useless now.

1 Like

Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by amaben2020(m): 5:50pm On Oct 12, 2016
WAEC without thinking sef, British job na temporary job na, OP, miss the WAEC and cry forever
Re: Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice by Samcent: 5:51pm On Oct 12, 2016
Op, God butter ur bread for two sides....congrats! My take, go for d WAEC job. I hate any job that has 'contract' attached to it- talking from experience. God help U to take the right turn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Offer: Ecobank 2019 Entry Level Recruitment / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter / When Are We Going To Talk About These Lebanese And Chinese Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.