Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,809 members, 7,851,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:16 AM

Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy (734 Views)

Anti-Open Grazing Law: Mansur Dan-Ali, A Disgrace To Democracy - Benue APC / Na’abba: Buhari Hasn’t Added Any Value To Democracy… We’ll Stop Him In 2019 / Justice Nnamdi Dimgba: "SSS’ Conduct Disgrace To Democracy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by wkkwl: 4:17am On Oct 12, 2016
Former military Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), yesterday said the invasion of judges’ houses in gestapo-style and their subsequent arrest by the Department of State Services (DSS) could be a threat to democracy if the federal government allows security agencies to operate outside their purview.

The former Head of State stated this during the 20th anniversary of Nigeria Prays in Abuja.
He bemoaned the recent slide in the application of force by government agencies particularly, in civil matters, calling for a more democratic approach to such issues.

Gowon said: “Honestly, it is a serious thing and I hope that the government would give directives to the operatives not to go outside the precepts and the law because if the situation is mishandled, it can be a threat to democracy.

“We pray for better solution to those problems; we pray the government should look for ways and means to deal with this problem of reccession which I know they are doing.

“I can assure you that I saw the president before going to Botswana for the golden jubilee of their independence and one of the things we discussed was the concern of the people as far as the economic situation is concerned. He was honesty to say that he knows about these problems and that he and members of his government are doing all they can to find solution to this problem. Discussed the economic situation.”

He explained that governing “is not easy, I am talking from personal experience, theses things are not achieved overnight and a lot of Nigerians expect the problem to be solved within a day or two because we got to go through the reasons we are having this recession.

“It is obvious that because the price of oil keeps coming down so low, at a time, oil sold for $150 per barrel but now you struggle to get it at $50 barrels also lack of other things like industries which needs to be established to help.

“We missed from some of these things some years back, that is why industries, businesses are unable to make up for the shortfall of revenue from oil but I know every effort is being made to address the problem. Let us give government that time and keep reminding them that there is this problem and they got to do whatever they can to solve it.

“Let us cooporate by helping to ensure that the government hears the concerns and do something about it, criticise constructively don’t just condemn outright,”

This came as the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) yesterday said the gestapo-style invasion and subsequent arrest of judges across the country did not portray Nigeria in good light, arguing that, Nigeria is not a banana republic.

CBCN President and Catholic Archbishop of Jos, Ignatius Kaigama, speaking on the arrest, insisted that the rule of law must be followed notwithstanding the culpability of those involved in corruption cases.

Kaigama explained that at several official meetings with President Muhammadu Buhari, the Catholic Bishops had impressed it on the president to always adhere strictly to the rule of law.

“We have been very clear with the president in our various meetings that the real law must be upheld and there should be no sentiments in the application of the rule of law. We are not in a system of government where people are just fished out of selfish or political interest.

“It should be clear that people are guilty before they are arrested and if they are found to be guilty there should also be no sentiments. This issue of ‘they are arrested because they belong to a party or to a particular geographical area and others’ is why Nigeria has refused to move forward. Whether President or Ex President if you breach the law, you are a target for legal action. In Nigeria we’re not used to that.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/10/12/gowon-judges-arrest-could-be-a-threat-to-democracy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by HungerBAD: 4:19am On Oct 12, 2016
General Yakubu Gowon i greet you.

You know i like and respect you right? Your defeat of the Biafran Army has made me a disciple of your legacies, and that is why i will let this statement by you slide.

What the DSS just did is a threat to Corruption, and not Democracy.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Firefire(m): 4:30am On Oct 12, 2016
Is okay ooo
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Luukasz(m): 4:32am On Oct 12, 2016
It might be a threat to democracy now, but in the long run it will keep our judicial system free of corruptible judges.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by blackpanda: 4:37am On Oct 12, 2016
Thats ridiculous. Judges have no immunity. Nigerians always find a way to shield corrupt people from corruption. Its either the person is opposition or a different tribe or religion. We need to wake up from this stupidity. Criminals must face the law
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by inkon: 5:02am On Oct 12, 2016
If Mr. Gowon was talking about Nigeria, then "threat" is no longer the right word. Democracy is being aborted here, no point mincing words.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by bankyblue(m): 5:16am On Oct 12, 2016
Who the two of them EPP?

Abeg make I go do my morning devotion jare.
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by DrRasheed: 5:35am On Oct 12, 2016
Democracy do not guarantee peace and life. So it is okay to toy with it as far as is for the good of nigeria.
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Aufbauh(m): 5:41am On Oct 12, 2016
I don't really know how people perceive democracy in practice. Democracy is not a window for impunity and lawlessness in the guise of individual right.

Some people are really disappointed not because they feel it is illegal but because they never thought it is possible in a democratic government to enforce some laws.
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 12, 2016
U know about democracy yet u murdered 3 million Igbo's because they wan form their country. Hypocrite
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Chigold101(m): 6:00am On Oct 12, 2016
If you read all the comments above this one, you will know everybody has an opinion...

This government will break the bones of of all the other arms of government & force them to do thier whims.
The word corruption is been used to silent everyone who dares oppose them.

However, anybody found guilty of corruption should face the music and pay the price of his or sins...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Day169: 6:08am On Oct 12, 2016
Oga "Go 1" abeg park well.
Do you know how many innocent Nigerians have been unjustly put behind bars for crimes they dint comit or how many who are serving jail terms not commensurate to the crimes they committed? ..and some people who are expected to be above board are found with monies that cannot be counted and then you talk about threat to democracy?
If that's the case then our democracy should have been long dead and buried.
SMH!!!
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by Progressive01(m): 6:11am On Oct 12, 2016
HungerBAD:
General Yakubu Gowon i greet you.

You know i like and respect you right? Your defeat of the Biafran Army has made me a disciple of your legacies, and that is why i will let this statement by you slide.

What the DSS just did is a threat to Corruption, and not Democracy.
You just gave iDaft Yuufs a reason not to call Gowon their hero after just reading the title of the thread.

Badt guy. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by HungerBAD: 6:15am On Oct 12, 2016
Progressive01:
You just gave iDaft Yuufs a reason not to call Gowon their hero after just reading the title of the thread.

Badt guy. cheesy

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by newguy1(m): 6:21am On Oct 12, 2016
Nawa first when d senate president was probe,some people came out to say it's a threat to democracy, the corrupt judge arrested only never been convicted, Gowon caame. Out to say democracy is @ stalk abeg some one should enlighten me is it dat democracy cannot hold without corruption ni or these corrupt people just like playing on our intelligent by relating democracy n corrupt individuals together
Re: Gowon: Judges Arrest, Could Be A Threat To Democracy by andresia(m): 6:36am On Oct 12, 2016
Very rich coming from someone who started the destruction of the very fibre of Nigeria. History will never forget how this man ruled Nigeria aground even in the midst of abundant wealth

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arraigns Edo Deputy Governor’s Brother For N9.3 Million Fraud(pictured) / Metuh Solely Funded PDP’s Publicity Of Jonathan’s Campaign / See The "Sophisticated" Weapons, Charms Recovered From Militants In Rivers. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.