Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND (4114 Views)

Nigerians Throw Shade At Wizkid As Davido Features His 2baby Mamas On His Video / Bobrisky Throws Subtle Shade At Toyin Lawani Over Nina Running Back To Miracle / Harrysong Slammed By Juliet Okonkwo, E-Money's Wife In A Subtle Manner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by x6blade(m): 4:38am On Oct 12, 2016
Twitter went wild as wizkid announced that he's gonna be dropping a track ft DRAKE and claimed to be the real starboy which has become the moniker for the weekend recently ,and fans of wizkid were not having it.

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by x6blade(m): 4:40am On Oct 12, 2016
More

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by x6blade(m): 4:40am On Oct 12, 2016
Nd more

1 Share

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Luukasz(m): 4:53am On Oct 12, 2016
Subtle shade?..or he's just trying to gain the weeknd's attention.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by BEENUEL(m): 4:54am On Oct 12, 2016
undecidedWhizkid sev dumb small, Shey the mumus no see say The acclaimed theweekend twitter account is not verified undecided

Ihenacho is A Starboy too!

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Amberon: 5:41am On Oct 12, 2016
Keep Calm, wizkid ain't dissing. He even tweeted about weekends starboy track saying it was dope. It was his fans that started calling him real star boy.

Iwobi is a starboy too grin
BEENUEL:
undecidedWhizkid sev dumb small, Shey the mumus no see say The acclaimed theweekend twitter account is not verified undecided

Ihenacho is A Starboy too!

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Sunnybabe(m): 6:42am On Oct 12, 2016
mtcheeew. IRANU

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Grammywinner: 7:30am On Oct 12, 2016
On the 21st day of September 2016, multi award winning Canadian star Abel Makkonen Tesfaye popularly known by his stage name The Weeknd announced the name of his third studio album, Starboy. The 18 track album will be released through Republic Records. The following day he released the title track “Starboy” which features
Daft Punk.

Nigerians on hearing about the song wasted no time to bash The Weeknd and his idea of titling his new single Starboy, a phrase they claimed he stole from their very own, Wizkid. You can’t imagine all the crap Nigerians wrote on social media platforms. Imagine Nigerians quipping of The Weeknd wanting to be Wizkid. How absurd!!!

Nigerians would never stop amazing me.

Of a truth, Wizkid may have adopted the phrase
Starboy for himself and his label but that doesn’t mean he has exclusive rights to the use of the Starboy phrase. By the way he wasn’t even originally responsible for coining the phrase Star-boy. In other words he picked up that phrase from somewhere.

I looked up the word Starboy in an online dictionary and here’s what I got;

1: a womanizer, a philanderer, a man who has sex with many women.

2: a very successful male individual, one who dwells in the heights, far above his contemporaries.

From the look of things any male figure who falls under any of the above categories is free to call himself a Starboy.

After checking out lyrics to the The Weeknd’s latest single Starboy, it dawned on me as to the basis for him titling his latest single and forthcoming album Starboy. I mean, going by the definition of Starboy who wouldn’t justify the claims put forward by The Weeknd. The song basically was a bragging rights piece about his achievements this year alone. 2016 has indeed been a good year for The Weeknd. Garnering 2 Grammy Awards out of his seven Grammy nominations at this year’s 58th Grammy Awards ceremony and making music history at the Billboard Music Awards ceremony held this same year where he went home with 8 Billboard Music Awards.

It’s just a shame Wizkid on hearing about the Album and song title took it personal, subscribed to the typical Nigerian mentality and labelled The Weeknd a thief and a fraudster as though he had monopoly over the Starboy phrase, a word he neither invented nor coined. Though before the evening of that same day he deleted the Tweet, some sage must have talked sense into his head.

Yes Wizkid may have had his name on the Billboard hot 100 chart as one of the contributing artists on Drake’s worldwide hit One Dance but that neither makes him a Global music star nor a bigger player in the music industry than The Weeknd. And if we are to go by a global audience casting votes as to which of the both artistes is a Starboy am certain 90℅ of the votes cast would affirm The Weeknd as being more eligible of the title Starboy.

Speaking of achievements what has
Wizkid gotten for himself apart from being featured on Drake’s smash hit and maybe securing a Sony Music Worldwide Deal? By the way, till date there are still Nigerians who think Wizkid’s part on Drake’s joint was recorded over phone.lol. Even from an angle of net worth Wizkid still pales in comparison to The Weeknd.

I would say our Nigerian music artists rid themselves of neo-schizophrenic delusions of grandeur and stop thinking too highly of themselves when they haven’t even achieved any global high mark.

And to Nigerians who claim to be musically inclined but restrict themselves to Nigerian songs, folks who know nothing about music but can hop on social media platforms and spill anything they comes to mind I would advise that yall get a grip of yourselves. It won’t come as a shocker to me if y’all wake up tomorrow and claim that Flavour Nabania is a better singer than Anthony Hamilton. lol.

Am neither a hater of Wizkid nor a fan of The Weeknd, just an honest music critic.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/10/10/wizkid-not-yet-a-global-star/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by McBrooklyn(m): 7:48am On Oct 12, 2016
Lol, that dude that tweeted "Wizkid couldn't be bigger than the Weeknd even on weekdays" is fúcking crazy and I was even like WTF??!!! cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by McBrooklyn(m): 7:49am On Oct 12, 2016
cool
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 12, 2016
Amberon:
Keep Calm, wizkid ain't dissing. He even tweeted about weekends starboy track saying it was dope. It was his fans that started calling him real star boy.

Iwobi is a starboy too grin

Taye taiwo sef na starboy cheesy
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 8:36am On Oct 12, 2016
grammywinner u got d facts right thumbs up for u bruh....

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by safarigirl(f): 8:51am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
grammywinner u got d facts right thumbs up for u bruh....
who grammy epp? How many headies does weeknd have?

All these Africans and useless slave mentality always thinking whatever the west does is better than them.

Weeknd has 5 grammys, Femi Kuti has none, Angelique Kidjo has 3....using the logic of some myopic Nigerians, weeknd is bigger than those legends?

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by andray12(m): 8:55am On Oct 12, 2016
abeg nairalanders make una help me with sum likes 2day na ma birthday grin
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:01am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:

All these Africans and useless slave mentality always thinking whatever the west does is better than them.

Weeknd has 5 grammys, Femi Kuti has none, Angelique Kidjo has 3....using the logic of some myopic Nigerians, weeknd is bigget thsn thosr legends?
chineke! what is dz one saying biko....bia dz girl don't quote me again If u dont understand d bul.lshit u are typing.....still wondering ow headies is connected to the weekend

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by hustleranthem(m): 9:02am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:

Weeknd has 5 grammys, Femi Kuti has none, Angelique Kidjo has 3....using the logic of some myopic Nigerians, weeknd is bigget thsn thosr legends?
very nice..i love this comment..pay no attention to these gullible and myopic Nigerians that feel foreign awards makes u better than our indigenous artists..like d old saying goes..its better to live like a lion In d jungle than to b a dog in the city..Nigerians should learn how to support their own brands and this continent will be great

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by hustleranthem(m): 9:05am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
chineke! what is dz one saying biko....bia dz girl don't quote me again If u dont understand d bul.lshit u are typing.....still wondering ow headies is connected to the weekend
shatap..she said d truth.u r just one of those gullible Nigerians that feel everytin in the West is beta than what we have here..they have Grammy and we have headies..this is d main reason this continent is still backward..Mental Slavery

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by safarigirl(f): 9:15am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
i just turned your logic on you so you can see how silly it sounds

Grammy awards was created for North Americans, not for Africans. Expecting WizKid to have Grammys is silly because he's neither North American, nor does he ply his trade there. So, judging how good he is with an award he's not normally eligible for, is daft.

You should learn to think of your words before you write them, read them again, before you post them, lest you sound silly eventually

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:18am On Oct 12, 2016
hustleranthem:
shatap..she said d truth.u r just one of those gullible Nigerians that feel everytin in the West is beta than what we have here..they have Grammy and we have headies..this is d main reason this continent is still backward..Mental Slavery
lolz where is it paining u?mental slavery u say? u guys be sounding really dumb..u really don't know ow to read goan read d comment of our fellow mental free patient ....I only metioned the dude by the name Grammywinner ngbo now swerve don't quote me again

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by hustleranthem(m): 9:20am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
lolz where is it paining u?mental slavery u say? u guys be sounding really dumb..u really don't know ow to read goan read d comment of our fellow mental free patient ....I only metioned the dude by the name Grammywinner ngbo now swerve don't quote me again
shatap there..mental slave..u beta sharpen ur eyes..u feel say na Al these pompori u dey do for IG? No one will notice u..
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:

Grammy awards was created for North Americans, not for Africans. Expecting WizKid to have Grammys is silly because he's neither North American, nor does he ply his trade there. So, judging how good he is with an award he's not normally eligible for, is daft.

You should learn to think of your words before you write them, read them again, before you post them, lest you sound silly eventually

continue carrying dia matter on our head eh sister .....at first u confused d whole thing u asked ow many headies weekend has does DAT even make sense to u? den d next u are talking about fela having no headies who sounds dumb?..don't quote me again shogbo?

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:25am On Oct 12, 2016
[quote author=safarigirl post=50129615]i just turned your logic on you so you can see how silly it sounds

[\quote]

continue carrying dia matter on our head eh sister .....at first u confused d whole thing u asked ow many headies weekend has does DAT even make sense to u? den d next u are talking about fela having no headies who sounds dumb?..don't quote me again shogbo?
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:27am On Oct 12, 2016
hustleranthem:
shatap there..mental slave..u beta sharpen ur eyes..u feel say na Al these pompori u dey do for IG? No one will notice u..
hehehehehehehe am laffing at ow pained u sound don't worry eh e go better
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by safarigirl(f): 9:30am On Oct 12, 2016
[quote author=Mikylopez post=50129905][/quote]this one is another product of failed education system. Wherever did you read about Fela and headies?

Can't even waste reason with you. Aurevoir
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by jaelz(m): 9:31am On Oct 12, 2016
All i can say is that when your big you are big
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by hustleranthem(m): 9:31am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
hehehehehehehe am laffing at ow pained u sound don't worry eh e go better
lol..bcoz u hv notin to say..well,i gat no P wit u..
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Mikylopez(f): 9:42am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:
this one is another product of failed education system. Wherever did you read about Fela and headies?

Can't even waste reason with you. Aurevoir
lolz lemme guess u had amnesia under 5mins abi? or u Jes typed without a brain ? u guys are talking about headies and Nigeria ain't Wizkid going international hz hoping to have one international award and u guys are talking about headies u need to get schooled.......

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 12, 2016
Mikylopez:
lolz lemme guess u had amnesia under 5mins abi? or u Jes typed without a brain ? u guys are talking about headies and Nigeria ain't Wizkid going international hz hoping to have one international award and u guys are talking about headies u need to get schooled.......

Sent u my mtn number. Beep me
Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by ClassCaptain(m): 9:49am On Oct 12, 2016
ok

Weekend has more recognition than wizkid and a better artist too..

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Grammywinner: 9:50am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:

And who told you Grammys was created for just North Americans alone in? Is Angelique Kidjo who happens to be the recipient of 3 Grammys a North American ? Or Femi Kuti who's been nominated 3 times, is he also a North American?

At this point I'll be redirecting ur words back to you

"You should learn to think of your words before you write them, read them again, before you post them, lest you sound silly eventually"

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by safarigirl(f): 10:00am On Oct 12, 2016
Grammywinner:

And who told you Grammys was created for just North Americans alone in? Is Angelique Kidjo who happens to be the recipient of 3 Grammys a North American ? Or Femi Kuti who's been nominated 3 times, is he also a North American?

At this point I'll be redirecting ur words back to you

"You should learn to think of your words before you write them, read them again, before you post them, lest you sound silly eventually"

Grammys is an American award. Present to me a list of the nominees then.
Do they nominate African music genres like juju and highlife? Do you see African artistes as nomineees in similar categories as Americans?

They have ONE separate category for an entire continent, the only reason Angelique has 3Grammys is because she's in the same category as Femi Kuti and Keita, how come nobody like Beyonce is in the ONE category she always wins? No Taylor Swift, no India Arie, no Erykah Badu? So, my brother, it is as much an American award as the VMAs is one. The fact that they have One category of over 40 for an entire continent, should tell you, it is not World Music Awards. Now, you'll tell me the European Music Awards is not an European award because Tu Face has an EMA.

The Grammy is for North Americans, if they want to go far, Europe. But they certainly didn't have Africans in mind when they began the awards.

Same way BET is for Black Americans.

Another product of failed education system waiting for the West to throw you a bone.

3 Likes

Re: Wizkid Trends On Twitter As He Throws A Subtle Shade At THE WEEKEND by Grammywinner: 11:06am On Oct 12, 2016
safarigirl:

Grammys is an American award. Present to me a list of the nominees then.
Do they nominate African music genres like juju and highlife? Do you see African artistes as nomineees in similar categories as Americans?

They have ONE separate category for an entire continent, the only reason Angelique has 3Grammys is because she's in the same category as Femi Kuti and Keita, how come nobody like Beyonce is in the ONE category she always wins? No Taylor Swift, no India Arie, no Erykah Badu? So, my brother, it is as much an American award as the VMAs is one. The fact that they have One category of over 40 for an entire continent, should tell you, it is not World Music Awards. Now, you'll tell me the European Music Awards is not an European award because Tu Face has an EMA.

The Grammy is for North Americans, if they want to go far, Europe. But they certainly didn't have Africans in mind when they began the awards.

Same way BET is for Black Americans.

Another product of failed education system waiting for the West to throw you a bone.

You seem confused. Grammy is Grammy regardless of the category you win under.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Charlotte Crosby Looks Worse-for-wear At The Style Bash / Nengi: Dont You Dare Kiss Me Again Nengi Pushes OZO Away BBNAIJA WAHALA / Clash Of Beauty; Regina Daniels And Chioma, Who Is More Beautiful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.