Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,751 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? (27916 Views)

London used Laptops for sale at affordable prices / 2 Brand New Dell Inspiron Laptops For N50,000 Each SOLD SOLD SOLD! / How To Make Your Laptop Battery Last For A Long Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Explorers(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2016
989900:
. . . but good to let the battery discharge to like say 35% and fully recharge once in a while, like once a week.

Yea, i saw this too. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 13, 2016
Explorers:
Got my first laptop few weeks back, when i get to the office, it's always on power from 8am-4pm when going home.

Ive been told several times to stop doing this, that it's going to damage the battery.

So i visited Quora, Howstuffsworks and i realized that there's nothing like overcharging of a laptop, most esp the new models.

On these sites, most people said once the charging hits 100%, there's an app that will immediately stop the battery from taking more power, more like disengaging the battery from charging.

So i just decided to bring this here for more contributions, thanks.

using it to do heavy stuff like gaming will kill your battery because of heat though not charging.but charging while playing games or carrying out heavy tasks means more heat for longer period of time.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by dayus12(f): 2:14pm On Oct 13, 2016
Well,maybe with new models(2015 upward) that I'm not used to...But with the ones I'm familiar with especially Hp and Lenovo,charging for longer hours can reduce the lifespan of the battery and once the battery is spoilt and you have to plug directly without ups,other things can involve.

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by anthonypeters(m): 2:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by lonelydora: 2:18pm On Oct 13, 2016
That's why it's called 'smart' laptop and phones.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Maj196(m): 2:28pm On Oct 13, 2016
Some laptops r susceptible to overcharging damages while some aren't like mine.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Atmmachine(m): 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2016
It doesn't do anything to the laptop

In the USA, electricity doesn't go off, My laptop have been plugged to electricity for the past 3 years, 24 hours every day, 7 days in a week, 12 months in a year, nothing has happened to it

Tell me another lie
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by shuggah(m): 2:45pm On Oct 13, 2016
Atmmachine:
It doesn't do anything to the laptop

In the USA, electricity doesn't go off, My laptop have been plugged to electricity for the past 3 years, 24 hours every day, 7 days in a week, 12 months in a year, nothing has happened to it

Tell me another lie
thanks bro... i actually argued this with a coursemate last semester.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2016
New Laptops are smart now. My studio laptop has been plugged in for more than 6 months now. Doing fine

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by OpinionCounts(m): 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2016
Guys you should have noticed that your battery has a charge regulator that turns of charging immediately it's fully charged. For instance you will notice your battery charge icon display something like "battery x%, charging" when it's still charging and something like "battery full, not charging". Newer models of electronics has a bypass system that makes your electronics begin to use direct supply from the power source when once your battery is full, bypassing ur battery until the power source is turned off.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by fortunechy(m): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
ASK GOOGLE
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by ugwum007(m): 3:18pm On Oct 13, 2016
My laptop have plugged to mains as far as there is electricity for the past 3 years and still out performs those of my colleagues that follow this myth.

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by icore: 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
I need help people my laptop battery stops at 92% and writes not charging. what could be the problem.
Solutions are welcomed.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by JSoE(f): 3:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
I don't know if you guys have tried removing your laptop battery when the charger is plugged to the laptop. If you remove the battery, the laptop will continue working as long as the charger is plugged in and there's power. I think once the battery is fully charged, it stops charging and the laptop runs on direct electricity.
My laptop is always plugged in and the battery's been fine.
My observation though.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
there are some laptops that shows "plugged in not charging" when its totally full. thats more like a preventive measure for overcharging issues.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Ohibenemma(m): 4:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
Been using this Dell for about 3years now...and the battery has been in a constant condition, despite it being practically perpetually plugged to power.

Thanks 2 Naija power situation, the battery gets some discharge at least once every three days.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Amalision: 4:39pm On Oct 13, 2016
from my experience plucking the laptop in the light even million years will not do anything to the battery. Any body telling me that trash is a serial lier. if it would have caused death of battery life then the manufacturer would have told u to unplug once it is full just as it is obtainable in then Nokia phone with the inscription "battery full, unplug to save energy " since three years now my laptop use to be on light for an average of 15 hours per day and nothing has happened to the battery

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by kennynelcon(m): 4:44pm On Oct 13, 2016
I have a HP 15 TS, once the battery gets to 100%, the screen goes blank for 1sec and comes up again...so I think it means the battery is disengaged.

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by redcliff: 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
wellmax:

Simply give your own facts

Well since he said he has found out already, then let time be his teacher.lol
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by tens4real(m): 4:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
EazyMoh:
grin I have been a super user
when it comes to electronics. My laptop can go for more than 48hours without even sleeping, and when I do go out its either on sleep or hibernate. I shutdown like one a week. My cousin bro is always the over careful type always unplugging and shutting down just to allow the PC "rest" It's ironic how my laptop out performs his, never had any issue with mine.
@Explorers, so all those your research now with a new PC it means we shall expect more educative threads. Congratulations. Keep it up.
which laptop are u using please
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by frankmoney(m): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2016
Seriously over charge weakens the battery's capacity , you may not get the effect now but about a year later your battery will become weak
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by braithwaite(m): 5:20pm On Oct 13, 2016
This gadget are built for all this issue reason they are called smart gadget..

They disengage when fully charged
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by jtjohn(m): 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
very educative........i do think over charging of laptop battery kill the battery............Thanks
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 5:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
NO EFFECT, because we're in the smart era. the whole system is smart
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by mahyowah(m): 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2016
Explorers:
Got my first laptop few weeks back, when i get to the office, it's always on power from 8am-4pm when going home.

Ive been told several times to stop doing this, that it's going to damage the battery.

So i visited Quora, Howstuffsworks and i realized that there's nothing like overcharging of a laptop, most esp the new models.

On these sites, most people said once the charging hits 100%, there's an app that will immediately stop the battery from taking more power, like disengaging the battery from charging.

So i just decided to bring this here for more contributions, thanks.

thanks for this piece.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by EazyMoh(m): 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2016
tens4real:
which laptop are u using please
It's not such a big laptop o. It's Compaq CQ58 4BG RAM 500GB HDD Intel Pentium R 2.1GHz bought it brand new about 3 years ago and it has been very reliable. One thing though there are a lot of replica HP Laptops in the market, careful don't buy fake. They aren't as durable as the originals.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by EazyMoh(m): 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
frankmoney:
Seriously over charge weakens the battery's capacity , you may not get the effect now but about a year later your battery will become weak
Guy leave that thing! It's natural for charge retention to decrease over time, but there is no such thing as "over charging" The laptop and any other smart device has been designed to handle that. Experts that buy and rest the devices have confirmed.
My laptop has been three years old and the battery still lasts good 3hours of casual use. It was 5..5 hours when it was brand new. And am a heavy user.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by SeanBeezy(m): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
Nothing kills battery fast than overcharging, trust me I'm a witness

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Kasnel: 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
Thank you for this thread. I am using HP 630. not long ago a friend borrowed it to print his project a day later, he brought it back and the screen had gone blind even tho it switches on, I spent 6k to repair it. Earlier today, I was using it for my project when suddenly it stopped charging. I removed the battery and put it back and it started charging again. I was almost done when it shutdown on its own and has refused to charge ever since . What could be wrong please I normally leave it charging Everytime I am working with it, bcus the battery does not last upto 45mins. Could it be that the battery is weak or what? Please I need your suggestions thank you.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Idrismusty97(m): 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
Then what is the cause of reduced battery life span. I bought a double cell battery that lasts for 5 hours at least a few months ago. Now it barely last for 2 hours.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by tens4real(m): 8:03pm On Oct 13, 2016
EazyMoh:

It's not such a big laptop o. It's Compaq CQ58 4BG RAM 500GB HDD Intel Pentium R 2.1GHz bought it brand new about 3 years ago and it has been very reliable. One thing though there are a lot of replica HP Laptops in the market, careful don't buy fake. They aren't as durable as the originals.
thanks bro
walahi I need something like this...my current one has issue...I wish I can get the original here in Lag..
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by emi14: 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2016
Where is the power that will overcharge your laptop? Nonsense

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Simple Server Not Connecting / Tonto Dikeh Covers Vivian Lam Glamour Magazine (Photos) / Basic Computer Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.