Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? (27911 Views)

London used Laptops for sale at affordable prices / 2 Brand New Dell Inspiron Laptops For N50,000 Each SOLD SOLD SOLD! / How To Make Your Laptop Battery Last For A Long Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by EazyMoh(m): 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2016
tens4real:
thanks bro
walahi I need something like this...my current one has issue...I wish I can get the original here in Lag..
U welcome the Laptop is strong I have been looking for its upgrade for my Masters programme something more powerful but with the same build. But I can't seen to find the best model. The Compaq version doesn't seem to have high end laptops even on their website so I kin of settled for HP Envy 2016 version.
Anyway you can try Slot Shops their products are original just a little more expensive than other stores. Goodluck.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 13, 2016
Its not an app, its the battery itself, this same kind of battery is what is found in modern phones, once it hits 100% it stops charging....
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by tens4real(m): 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
EazyMoh:

U welcome the Laptop is strong I have been looking for its upgrade for my Masters programme something more powerful but with the same build. But I can't seen to find the best model. The Compaq version doesn't seem to have high end laptops even on their website so I kin of settled for HP Envy 2016 version.
Anyway you can try Slot Shops their products are original just a little more expensive than other stores. Goodluck.
u don't know how grateful I am for this info... thanks alot I will try slot...

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by humurphia(m): 8:50pm On Oct 13, 2016
989900:
. . . but good to let the battery discharge to like say 35% and fully recharge once in a while, like once a week.
..how? with the current madness of electric operators in Nigeria? ...
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by gevans(m): 9:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
989900:
. . . but good to let the battery discharge to like say 35% and fully recharge once in a while, like once a week.
this pattern of usage shorten d life span of the battery.
all batteries hv there life cycle, there deep n shallow cycle battery. let me explain what the cycle means in battery. wen u charge ur battery to 100% n discharge i(use it) it, that is one cycle. d cycles of batteries r usually written on its name plate or its data sheet.
The battery pack's service life depend on the
environment temperature, humidity, and notebook
PC usage.
The battery capacity usage versus cycle
performance attenuation follows a linear type
curve.
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries typically have a
lifespan of between 300 and 500 cycles. With
moderate use, Lithium-ion batteries can be
expected to deliver around 80% of their original
capacity after 300 cycles or about one year of use.
A higher or lower ambient temperature during
operation can result in a 70% or more loss of
capacity given the same number of cycles..
heat reduces life span of battery. i will talk more on this other time because dis is my field
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by gevans(m): 9:56pm On Oct 13, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Its not an app, its the battery itself, this same kind of battery is what is found in modern phones, once it hits 100% it stops charging....
the battery itself cant stop from charging, what stop d battery from charging is an electronics circuit called fully charged cut off.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by fitinwell: 1:08am On Oct 14, 2016
Explorers:
Got my first laptop few weeks back, when i get to the office, it's always on power from 8am-4pm when going home.

Ive been told several times to stop doing this, that it's going to damage the battery.

So i visited Quora, Howstuffsworks and i realized that there's nothing like overcharging of a laptop, most esp the new models.

On these sites, most people said once the charging hits 100%, there's an app that will immediately stop the battery from takirng more power, more like disengaging the battery from charging.

So i just decided to bring this here for more contributions, thanks.

sad[size=18pt]Bro if truely its the latest laptop...when batery hits full,it automatically disconnect itself by saving power using Energy green technology ..but take. Note there is what we call. Battery discharge cycle for laptop users go online to read more and also install batterystat dis will help you manage your laptop battery lifespan...Thank me later
bbm pin: 7B4E8193 [/size] angry
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by 989900: 3:51am On Oct 14, 2016
gevans:

all batteries hv there life cycle, there deep n shallow cycle battery. let me explain what the cycle means in battery. wen u charge ur battery to 100% n discharge i(use it) it, that is one cycle. d cycles of batteries r usually written on its name plate or its data sheet.
PC usage.
curve.
heat reduces life span of battery. i will talk more on this other time because dis is my field

undecided
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by oloet: 7:25am On Oct 14, 2016
gevans:

PC usage.
curve.
a MacBook pro gives 1000 cycle
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by oloet: 7:28am On Oct 14, 2016
fitinwell:
sad[size=18pt]Bro if truely its the latest laptop...when batery hits full,it automatically disconnect itself by saving power using Energy green technology ..but take. Note there is what we call. Battery discharge cycle for laptop users go online to read more and also install batterystat dis will help you manage your laptop battery lifespan...Thank me later
bbm pin: 7B4E8193 [/size] angry
even without reaching its total cycle, a battery can go bad due to usage and age
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by femarse: 8:57am On Oct 14, 2016
for all of you saying your over charging can not kill your battery
you are all wrong over charging will kill your battery
I am not telling you this from theory I am telling you from practical experience me and my friend we bought our laptop together in 2014 brand new HP with lithium ion battery of course all laptop from 2010 comes with it well we are both power user and constant light is not a problem well why he is the extremist I am the conservative his laptop is always plugged in anytime he is using it once mine reach 100 I removed the plug and drain the battery to 50 percent before plugging again to cut it short he bought two new battery in 2015 his battery could not longer hold charge the moment there is power failure the laptop went off straight away he started listening to me since then his only problem is he has wasted the original battery follow come HP battery and his is now using Igbo boys made in Dubai battery that last 2 and half hours well I am still using my battery till now but the same battery that I do use to watch a whole seasonal film for roughly 7-8 hours now lasted 4 hours and even at that my friend use to envy me how that battery has lasted since 2014 while his has bursted MAY 2015 since then I have keep to remove the plug when it's 100%even with that the battery degrade over time anybody telling you otherwise is lying only telling you what they read and not what they practice

2 Likes

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by femarse: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2016
Atmmachine:
It doesn't do anything to the laptop

In the USA, electricity doesn't go off, My laptop have been plugged to electricity for the past 3 years, 24 hours every day, 7 days in a week, 12 months in a year, nothing has happened to it

Tell me another lie

exactly my point
if your laptop has been plugged in 24/7 then tell me how u want to know if your battery is good or bad ? ur laptop is not a good case study for this type of issue my bet is your battery will barely last 30mins if you try running your laptop on battery and you can't compare it those who don't have the luxury of 34/7 electricity and that urgent moment when u have to fire up your laptop and do serious work for one hour on only battery

niger folks don't listen to this guy

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by gevans(m): 10:28am On Oct 14, 2016
oloet:
a MacBook pro gives 1000 cycle
u r right bro, i am talking of d commonly used ones, macbooks r high quality product. hw many persons have them in Nigeria? very few wen compared with other products. tanx

1 Like

Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by ben1daEbiri(m): 12:09pm On Oct 14, 2016
@Explorers I never knew you visit quora;Do you have an account?Quora is one site I don't joke with,You get to learn alot.It's quora or nothing!
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Explorers(m): 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2016
ben1daEbiri:
@Explorers I never knew you visit quora;Do you have an account?Quora is one site I don't joke with,You get to learn alot.It's quora or nothing!

No, just a guest.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by socrates007: 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2016
plugging a charger to power supply has little effect on a laptop except for heat generated due to energy dissipation in the laptop charger and in the laptop charging circuitry.
while
Plugging a charger into a power supply unit causes surge in current in the charger and into the laptop.therefore frequent plugging and unplugging is in itself not advisable. so what is then left to do? avoid constant plugging and unplugging process,but don't leave ur charger for very long time plug in.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by ben1daEbiri(m): 7:20pm On Oct 14, 2016
Explorers:

No, just a guest.
You really need to signup on quora,you can source for vital infos there for your threads!
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2016
which one we go follow nw
although my bro told me only phones do overcharging not systems
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by hiidee(m): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2016
The best thing is to unplug your computer or Laptop once charging is complete.
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 12:50am On Nov 02, 2016
femarse:

exactly my point
if your laptop has been plugged in 24/7 then tell me how u want to know if your battery is good or bad ? ur laptop is not a good case study for this type of issue my bet is your battery will barely last 30mins if you try running your laptop on battery and you can't compare it those who don't have the luxury of 34/7 electricity and that urgent moment when u have to fire up your laptop and do serious work for one hour on only battery

niger folks don't listen to this guy

This is exactly what I'm saying, how will you know the battery is OK when it's always plugin 24/7...

if you buy a new or used laptop, the seller will advice you not to over charge it, once it's 100% unplug it..
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by shuggah(m): 6:44am On Nov 05, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Then what is the cause of reduced battery life span. I bought a double cell battery that lasts for 5 hours at least a few months ago. Now it barely last for 2 hours.
just agree tht u bought fake ba3
Re: What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 05, 2016
nairaland.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Covers Vivian Lam Glamour Magazine (Photos) / Basic Computer Skills / AVEVA PDMS (plant Design Management System) Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.