Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,690 members, 7,865,746 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 03:55 AM

Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua (645 Views)

Flew Over To The Tournament To Help Mother / Tom Saintfiet To Report Keshi To FIFA For 'Racism' / Nfa To Report David Moyes To Fifa For Saying That Yakubu Falsified His Age. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua by smile4kenn(m): 7:07pm On Oct 20, 2009
President Umaru Yar'Adua has promised that Nigeria will stage a successful Under-17 World Cup despite the problems with the preparations for hosting the event.

Fifa's third biggest tournament kicks off on Saturday at the National Stadium in Abuja with hosts and defending champions Nigeria facing Germany in the opening match.

The build-up to the tournament has been beset with delays and difficulties.

"Nigerians will show to the outside world the stuff we are made of in terms of hospitality, friendship, brotherhood and our ability to make people to feel at home," he said.

"Fifa will always be tempted to be bring world competitions and tournaments to Nigeria which is a leading football nation.

"Watching it in Nigeria is a celebration so we will celebrate the opening and closing of the under-17 tournament.

"Once again let me thank Fifa for bringing this tournament to Nigeria and appeal to all Nigerians to make this tournament a memorable occasion for all of us."

Following a some recent disappointing performances by the senior team and then the Flying Eagles at the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, many in the country are predicting a tough outing for the Golden Eaglets at this event.

The president has urged the populace to turn their attention towards a successful hosting of the event instead.

"Let me call on all Nigerians to support the nation in making sure that we host a successful tournament," he urged.

"Four tournaments organised by Fifa were slated for the African continent, two have taken place, the Confederations Cup in South Africa and the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt.

"We have the under-17 tournament taking place here on our doorstep in Nigeria and next year we are going to have World Cup in South Africa.

"I call on all Nigerians, to ensure that the hosting of the tournament in Nigeria will be the best among all these four."

The host cities for the tournament are Abuja, Bauchi, Calabar, Enugu, Ijebu-Ode, Kaduna, Kano and Lagos.

BBC
Re: Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua by dominique(f): 7:09pm On Oct 20, 2009
bla bla bla. . . berra pray its not going to be another flop like '99
Re: Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua by smile4kenn(m): 7:17pm On Oct 20, 2009
was 99 a flop?
Re: Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua by 9ijaprince(m): 8:49pm On Oct 20, 2009
I wonder o.
Re: Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua by dominique(f): 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2009
smile4kenn:

was 99 a flop?

poor pitches, low turn up (except when Nigeria was playing), poor media coverage, general lack of intrest as soon as they got eliminated in the qf. need i say more

(1) (Reply)

Abuja Stadium Turned To Swiming Pool As Honduras And Argenitina Played Under 17 / Re: Nigeria Vs Zambia: 0 - 0 Live (nations Cup) / Eagles Lost Against Stars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.