Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? (16167 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Pharoh: 9:17pm On Oct 20, 2009
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbLJ9rHMMk[/flash]

To me this is just trying to show the significance of sticking together in a marriage.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2009
I have asked dis question several times with no answers yet
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Princelyod(m): 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2009
The fouth finger is the only one that has a vain connected to the heart.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Pharoh: 6:35am On Oct 21, 2009
Princelyod:

You are talking about the vena amoris right?
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by na2day2(m): 8:56am On Oct 21, 2009
Pharoh:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbLJ9rHMMk[/flash]

To me this is just trying to show the significance of sticking together in a marriage.

it is because it is the most jobless finger tongue
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by AniLee(f): 9:02am On Oct 21, 2009
undecided good question
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Pharoh: 10:25am On Oct 21, 2009
na2day?:

Another interesting angle to it and it is truly the most jobless because i can use the other four for various things. But do you realize also that those who practice it cannot give a reason hence the question. Why that finger on the left?
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by chukz4real(m): 12:54pm On Oct 21, 2009
I think one can enter Guiness Book of Record by wearing his/her on the right and on the index,

I support jobless finger as well. grin
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Father1: 1:18pm On Oct 21, 2009
I really don't know why.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by chidexy(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2009
It's not always on the left finger. In Europe, Catholics wear their wedding rings on the 4th finger of the right hand, while Evangelicals wear on the left
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by nich(m): 1:29pm On Oct 21, 2009
@ topic,

a very good question for JAMB whenever they choose to start 'german obj' questions. lipsrsealed

still waiting for people with the answer.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by otukpo(f): 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2009
na2day?:

Never thought of it
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by xtremeidea(m): 1:35pm On Oct 21, 2009
hehehhehehehehehehehe, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin L .W .K .M .D
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Nezan(m): 1:48pm On Oct 21, 2009
I honestly dont know.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Pharoh: 1:52pm On Oct 21, 2009
I don't even think anyone can give a clear reason not even Christians sad
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Ben13: 2:14pm On Oct 21, 2009
LMAO someone said it's jobless cheesy
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by sylve11: 2:28pm On Oct 21, 2009
Princelyod:

Princelyod:

i think i have to do hard research on these undecided undecided cool
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by bodejohn(m): 2:36pm On Oct 21, 2009
I heard a long time ago that a there is a vein on that finger that returns blood directly to the heart.
Kindly of like telling one's spouse that he or she is always on one's heart/mind.
I wear the ring on the fourth finger too and I like it actually.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by desgiezd(m): 2:42pm On Oct 21, 2009
na2day?:

OMGLMFFAO!!
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by sleak(m): 2:47pm On Oct 21, 2009
there is no such thing as a single vein running directly from d fourth finger that returned blood directly to the heart.vena amoris was nothing more than d sentimental leaning of an individual which was propounded at a time little or nothing was understood about the circulatory system
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by mrofficial(m): 2:48pm On Oct 21, 2009
Since agbalagbas like you cannot enlighten youths like me before our wedding, I would rather wear mine on the toe.

Abi none of these people that have replied this thread have wedded?
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Pharoh: 2:54pm On Oct 21, 2009
Well i should say there are many singles on nairaland and for those who have been married, i should say maybe they never gave it a thought until now and they have to dig dip and come up with a clear reason. But lets keep waiting because i think someone will surely do justice to this question and i would like to hear also from the christian angle as well.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by BabaO2: 2:54pm On Oct 21, 2009
Main article: wedding ring

In Western cultures a wedding ring is traditionally worn on the ring finger. This developed from the Roman "annulus pronubis" when the man gave a ring to the woman at the betrothal ceremony. According to tradition in some countries (derived from Roman belief), the wedding ring is worn on the left ring finger because the vein in the left ring finger, referred to as the vena amoris was believed to be directly connected to the heart, a symbol of love, the left side being probably since the heart is on the left side of the body.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by sleak(m): 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2009
its not purely of christian origin.it was a tradition traced to the ancient egyptician.
the ring's endless circle symbolised eternal nature of the bond while the open center was doorway to things unknown.the greeks picked this up at some point in history,then the romans.the rest of d world at varying points of contact.guess the later converted christian greeks n romans passed it on
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by agathamari(f): 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2009
chidexy:

It's not always on the left finger. In Europe, Catholics wear their wedding rings on the 4th finger of the right hand, while Evangelicals wear on the left
what? like where? never seen or heard this
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by lorebobo(f): 3:52pm On Oct 21, 2009
chidexy:

agathamari:

what? like where? never seen or heard this

i really don't know about the catholic and evangelicals thing, but i have heard and read that in some parts of Europe, the wedding ring is worn on the 4th finger of right hand. I guess it's tradition. Just get married and enjoy your life and forget about where the ring is supposed to be.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Mmuo(m): 4:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
For now, nobody has the answer to wearing wedding ring on the fourth finger.
What was described their was according to Chinese tradition, wat of Indians that wear theirs on the fore-finger and other cultures that wear thiers on the right.
It does not matter.
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by chisomquee: 4:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
There is a beautiful and convincing explanation given by the Chinese,

Thumb represents your Parents

Second (Index) finger represents your Siblings

Middle finger represents your-Self

Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner

& the Last (Little) finger represents your children

Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the middle fingers and hold
them together - back to back
Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb - tip
to tip (As shown in the figure above)

Now, try to separate your thumbs (representing the parents), , they will
open, because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong,
and have to leave you sooner or later.

Please join your thumbs as before and separate your Index fingers
(representing siblings), , they will also open, because your brothers
and sisters will have their own families and will have to lead their own
separate lives.

Now join the Index fingers and separate your Little fingers (representing
your children), , they will open too, because the children also will get
married and settle down on their own some day.

Finally, join your Little fingers, and try to separate your Ring fingers
(representing your spouse).
You will be surprised to see that you just CANNOT, , because Husband
& Wife have to remain together all their lives - through thick and thin!!

Please try this out,
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Integrity7: 4:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
There is a beautiful and convincing explanation given, though many Legends existed,

* Thumb represents your Parents
* Second (Index) finger represents your Siblings
* Middle finger represents your-Self
* Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner
* and the Last (Little) finger represents your children

Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the middle fingers and hold them together - back to back. Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb - tip to tip.
Now, try to separate your thumbs (representing the parents), , they will open, because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong, and have to leave you sooner or later.
Please join your thumbs as before and separate your Index fingers (representing siblings), ., they will also open, because your brothers and sisters will have their own families and will have to lead their own separate lives.
Now join the Index fingers and separate your Little fingers (representing your children), ., they will open too, because the children also will get married and settle down on their own some day.
Finally, join your Little fingers, and try to separate your Ring fingers (representing your spouse). You will be surprised to see that you just CANNOT, , because Husband & Wife have to remain together all their lives - through thick and thin!!

P.S. Please try this out, , ISN'T THIS A LOVELY THEORY?
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Igwe9(m): 4:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
lol grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by Fuup(m): 4:30pm On Oct 21, 2009
chisomquee:

There is a beautiful and convincing explanation given by the Chinese,

Thumb represents your Parents

Second (Index) finger represents your Siblings

Middle finger represents your-Self

Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner

& the Last (Little) finger represents your children

Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the middle fingers and hold
them together - back to back
Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb - tip
to tip (As shown in the figure above)

Now, try to separate your thumbs (representing the parents), , they will
open, because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong,
and have to leave you sooner or later.

Please join your thumbs as before and separate your Index fingers
(representing siblings), , they will also open, because your brothers
and sisters will have their own families and will have to lead their own
separate lives.

Now join the Index fingers and separate your Little fingers (representing
your children), , they will open too, because the children also will get
married and settle down on their own some day.

Finally, join your Little fingers, and try to separate your Ring fingers
(representing your spouse).
You will be surprised to see that you just CANNOT, , because Husband
& Wife have to remain together all their lives - through thick and thin!!

Please try this out,

That's a good one, it was fun trying that out with my colleagues
Re: Why Is The Wedding Ring Worn On The Fourth Finger? by charlione(m): 4:31pm On Oct 21, 2009
sleak:

its not purely of christian origin.it was a tradition traced to the ancient egyptician.
the ring's endless circle symbolised eternal nature of the bond while the open center was doorway to things unknown.the greeks picked this up at some point in history,then the romans.the rest of d world at varying points of contact.guess the later converted christian greeks n romans passed it on

dude the question is not why people wear wedding rings but why the fourth finger  

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Entrepreneur Africa Awards 2019: Seyi Tinubu, Timi Dakolo, Mizwanneka Win Big / Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? / Which Party/Owambe Are You Attending Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.