Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,744 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" (16914 Views)

Port Harcourt City LGA Chairman Is Dead! / Progress On Port Harcourt City Monorail / The Tranformation Of Nigeria, Part II - Greater Port Harcourt City (Master Plan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by nnemak(m): 8:32am On Oct 22, 2009
Does anyone still remember one Useless radio and TVee jingle tongue tongue tongue

Na ODILI ye ye ye ye… grin grin grin
Oh how I hate that noise…,  and they use to play dat shit every 5 min on both TV and  radio,

Hope they play same in ABJ now angry
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by obyann(f): 8:59am On Oct 22, 2009
calcal:

@Obyann
I hope u got the message. Lets not live in fantasy.

Anyways let us see what will happen in the next 1 year.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by Abagworo(m): 10:47am On Oct 22, 2009
i dont get why everyone is mad at odi|i.he tried.why must we not remember how ph was before 1999.no road from s|aughter to woji.no bridge at airforce junction.no road from airforce junction to rupokwu.no befitting house of assemb|y.it goes on and on.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ow11(m): 12:56pm On Oct 22, 2009
Abagworo:

i dont get why everyone is mad at odi|i.he tried.why must we not remember how ph was before 1999.no road from s|aughter to woji.no bridge at airforce junction.no road from airforce junction to rupokwu.no befitting house of assemb|y.it goes on and on.

This is the point I am trying to raise. All this noise is unnecessary. The man hasn't done anything wonderful or extraordinary. Odili even brought Free School Buses FFS! Tomorrow when Danagogo or Lee Maeba becomes Governor and tars that Uniport to Airport road, we would not hear word. angry

All we have about Amaechi is plans, plans and construction. After almost 20 months in office, simple feats like supplying desks to schools cannot be ascribed to him. He is busy sending his town criers to bother us with tales of his plans. This is coming from a man that has said he is not interested in a second tenure as Governor.

If he is serious and honest, he should begin to fix the little things that will change our lives and leave these plans in his handover note!
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by Abagworo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
ow11:

This is the point I am trying to raise. All this noise is unnecessary. The man hasn't done anything wonderful or extraordinary. Odili even brought Free School Buses FFS! Tomorrow when Danagogo or Lee Maeba becomes Governor and tars that Uniport to Airport road, we would not hear word. angry

All we have about Amaechi is plans, plans and construction. After almost 20 months in office, simple feats like supplying desks to schools cannot be ascribed to him. He is busy sending his town criers to bother us with tales of his plans. This is coming from a man that has said he is not interested in a second tenure as Governor.

If he is serious and honest, he should begin to fix the little things that will change our lives and leave these plans in his handover note!

the sooner nigerians realise what actual development is,the better for us.if amaechi succeeds in linking opobo to port harcourt via bodo,i'll congratulate him.if not its just business as usual.all the governors construct low standard(quality) roads and disturb our favorite radio programmes with their propagandory jingles.nothing more.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by otokx(m): 3:44pm On Oct 22, 2009
The hold up in the Port Harcourt metropolis is simply unbelievable and the slow rate of work on the various road projects is quite a feat. Now they say they are waiting for dry season when then know fully well that Port Harcourt is a town where rain falls every month of the year.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2009
They need to change the stupid name of this city. undecided
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by AndreUweh(m): 10:27pm On Oct 22, 2009
ezeagu:

Supported. I hereby suggest as follows
1. Igwe-ocha
2. Diobu or Diobi.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by nnemak(m): 7:28am On Oct 23, 2009
ala omu-wayin
tongue tongue
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 8:49am On Oct 23, 2009
nne_mak:

ala omu-wayin
tongue tongue

Anything but the name of a criminal.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by Abagworo(m): 9:44am On Oct 23, 2009
ani umu-nwanyi
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by DeepSoul(f): 2:39am On Oct 24, 2009
I think Amaechi is trying to hard to do everything all at once and that, to me, is folly.

How and why should most major roads be under construction at the SAME time?

Imagine Rumuola and Mgbuoba Roads being "constructed" at the same time

And in the same vein, bikes have been banned so every tom, dick and jane claim to be cab drivers these days.

Too many cars with few roads which are incredibly bad which results in nightmarish traffic that can compete with Lagos traffic

And like someone rightly said, the quality of work some of these contractors have is downright scary.

A good example is the bridge being built across Agip Junction/Mile 3. The contractor looks like he's doing trial and error.

I have promised myself not to ever be caught dead on that bridge when or if it ever reaches completion stage.

Amaechi should just concentrate on what needs to be done rather than trying to do everythin all at once just in the name of getting ready for another term. Thats just blind zeal.

On d other hand, the primary schools being built across the state is commendable. Coming from the govt, they look like solid structures that would last another good number of years. Another commendable point is the training of the primary school teachers in the state. I like that education is finally being given some attention. I can only wish the attention is spread to the tertiary institutions. The Rivers State University of Science & Technology is a rot. ANd thats putting it very very mildly!

And oh, the increase in the number of doctors is also commendable.

But biko, we need roads. I hear Gov Amaechi has formed "Operation Zero Pot-holes". And I whole-heartedly agree with him because what we have in Ph arent pot-holes. They are freaking valleys!
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by yeegaa: 5:09am On Oct 24, 2009
i guess dis not another avenue for embezzle our resources, everyman dey claim jobman
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by mbulela: 7:10am On Oct 24, 2009
Deep Soul:

I think Amaechi is trying to hard to do everything all at once and that, to me, is folly.

And in the same vein, bikes have been banned so every tom, privates and jane claim to be cab drivers these days.

Too many cars with few roads which are incredibly bad which results in nightmarish traffic that can compete with Lagos traffic

And like someone rightly said, the quality of work some of these contractors have is downright scary.

A good example is the bridge being built across Agip Junction/Mile 3. The contractor looks like he's doing trial and error.

I have promised myself not to ever be caught dead on that bridge when or if it ever reaches completion stage.

Amaechi should just concentrate on what needs to be done rather than trying to do everythin all at once just in the name of getting ready for another term. Thats just blind zeal.

On d other hand, the primary schools being built across the state is commendable. Coming from the govt, they look like solid structures that would last another good number of years. Another commendable point is the training of the primary school teachers in the state. I like that education is finally being given some attention. I can only wish the attention is spread to the tertiary institutions. The Rivers State University of Science & Technology is a rot. ANd thats putting it very very mildly!

But biko, we need roads. I hear Gov Amaechi has formed "Operation Zero Pot-holes". And I whole-heartedly agree with him because what we have in Ph arent pot-holes. They are freaking valleys!

very concise and meaningful contribution.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by sunnykiss(m): 1:47am On Oct 25, 2009
Na so dem go talk so tay so tay so tay so tay so tay so tay, Another 30yrs go reach PH go still full of tout and junks abadoned projects every governor want turn their city to dubai over night,see dem mouth like puccy own.PH is a very useless and insecure place to live.wat a waste of fund
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 1:49am On Oct 25, 2009
sunnykiss:

Na so dem go talk so tay so tay so tay so tay so tay so tay, Another 30yrs go reach PH go still full of tout and junks abadoned projects every governor want turn their city to dubai over night,see dem mouth like puccy own.PH is a very useless and insecure place to live.wat a waste of fund

Port Harcourt is actually a nice city, have you been there?
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by sunnykiss(m): 8:46am On Oct 25, 2009
Ol boy ,i know know wetin i dey find go port sef,people that have been there about all the people i know never say good thing about it.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 8:35pm On Oct 25, 2009
sunnykiss:

Ol boy ,i know know wetin i dey find go port sef,people that have been there about all the people i know never say good thing about it.

Then your relying on hearsay and you cannot make any comment about the city.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by DeepSoul(f): 10:48am On Oct 26, 2009
In terms of safety, Portharcourt is safer than Lagos. That's my opinion. You dont have to agree with me smiley
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by phantom(m): 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2009
@sunnykiss, PH is still 10 x safer than lagos, grin
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by backspade(m): 7:17pm On Oct 26, 2009
PH and Lagos are on two completely different levels of development. One has about twice the population of the other. . .
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by sunnykiss(m): 7:42pm On Oct 26, 2009
grin ;DPH SAFER than where na lieeee, Lagos is more afer and organized dan PH is unsafe ok, well e no matter sha
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 11:19pm On Oct 26, 2009
sunnykiss:

grin ;DPH SAFER than where na lieeee,  Lagos is more afer and organized dan PH is unsafe ok, well e no matter sha

Since when can somebody use 'safe' and 'Lagos' in the same sentence, especially as the person has never been there? The same Lagos that you can hardly go to sleep because of all the sudden sounds of gun shots?

backspade:

PH and Lagos are on two completely different levels of development. One has about twice the population of the other. . .

It really amazes me that people think that population equals development. So because Lagos has over crowded, disease and crime breeding areas, it is now better developed than Port Harcourt?
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ow11(m): 3:28pm On Oct 27, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Supported. I hereby suggest as follows
1. Igwe-ocha
2. Diobu or Diobi.

Why don't you give it an Ikwerre name like Rebisi or Okrika name like Bekina-ama/ Igoniwari-ama
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2009
ow11:

Why don't you give it an Ikwerre name like Rebisi or Okrika name like Bekina-ama/ Igoniwari-ama

Hmm. . . .

'I'm traveling to Igwe Ocha'
'I'm traveling to Diobi'
'I'm traveling to Diobu'
'I'm traveling to Rebisi'
'I'm traveling to Bekinama'
'I'm traveling to Igoniwariama'

'The great city of Igwe Ocha'
'The great city of Diobi'
'The great city of Diobu'
'The great city of Rebisi'
'The great city of Bekinama'
'The great city of Igoniwariama'

Diobu, Rebisi and Bekinama are the best in my opinion, what do they mean?
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by phantom(m): 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2009
@ezeagu, dede e gbukwalam, grin
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ow11(m): 3:45pm On Oct 27, 2009
@Ezeagu

Don't know about Rebisi or Diobu maybe an Ikwerre or Igbo person that understands the dialect can tell us. However, Bekinama means Town of White people while Igoniwari-ama means 'Town with homes belonging to strangers' which is what PH is today anyway.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by Ibime(m): 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
Deep Soul:

And in the same vein, bikes have been banned so every tom, privates and jane claim to be cab drivers these days.

Nice one. . . . the town planners know nothing about traffic management. . . . UST has been in a state of disrepair, no be today. . . .
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ezeagu(m): 9:26am On Oct 28, 2009
ow11:

@Ezeagu

Don't know about Rebisi or Diobu maybe an Ikwerre or Igbo person that understands the dialect can tell us. However, Bekinama means Town of White people while Igoniwari-ama means 'Town with homes belonging to strangers' which is what PH is today anyway.

Okay, in Igbo it would be Amabeke I'm guessing beki means foreign or white people, right?

phantom:

@ezeagu, dede e gbukwalam, grin

Ogini kwanu?
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by igbosmoka1: 9:47am On Oct 28, 2009
ezeagu:

to an ikwerreman,ph and surrounding area is simply iguocha.ph is a city with hidden beauty and hidden ugliness.you only see the one you seek.as for me,i seek the beauty.

eli-iguocha bu elioma

ow11:

@Ezeagu

thats so silly.maybe borokiri,abuloma and amadiama could be called igoniwari-ama since the ikwerres still own homes.
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by ow11(m): 10:26am On Oct 28, 2009
@ ezeagu

Bekin means white and Bekina is a way to conjugate the words to refer to something partaining to white people like Bekina-ama.

igbo-smoka:

thats so silly.maybe borokiri,abuloma and amadiama could be called igoniwari-ama since the ikwerres still own homes.

Too quick to reach for the keyboard m8. cry

Is Iguocha the Ikwerre version of Igwe-Ocha?
Re: Do you know anything about "Greater Port Harcourt City?" by sunnykiss(m): 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2009
;DAll of una na jonkie, why dont you come and see the new lagos the state withone of teh longest bridge in the world the 3rd mainland bridge ok so what is that in crime and disease even in london paris newyork japan, there is crime. and disease ok PH is just a shanty city ion my eyees, them fit boast of a common sky skrapper, abeg make una talk well jor, Lagos is the commercial heart of Nigeria and boast of 13million people and over,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Mainland_Bridge

The Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria to the mainland, the other two being the Eko and Carter bridges. It is the longest bridge in Africa. The bridge starts from Oworonshoki which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi express way and Lagos-Ibadan express way, and ends at the Adeniji Adele Interchange on Lagos Island. There is also a link midway through the bridge that leads to the Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba. The Bridge was built by Julius Berger Nigeria PLC and opened by President Ibrahim Babangida in 1990: it measures about 11.8km in length.

However, there are recent reports that the Third Mainland Bridge is now vibrating, indicating that it needs urgent attention[1].

Remedial work has commenced on the failed portions of the bridge

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Hits N1.5BN Monthly Revenue / Kwankwaso Visits Governor Udom Emmanuel (Photos) / FG Lines Up 140 Officials To Assess Tinubu's Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.