Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,140 members, 7,852,877 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:45 AM

Change Of Engine Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Change Of Engine Oil (1016 Views)

The Cost Of Vehicle Licensing, Change Of Ownership, Registration & Number Plate / Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Engine Oil by geovidal(m): 8:38am On Oct 14, 2016
Good morning to you all, I was reading a thread on engine oil meant for Toyota corolla, and I found out that the correct engine oil specification is SAE 5W-30. I ve been using total quartz 5000 for servicing for almost a year now which is 20W50. My question is if i revert to the normal oil specification [5W-30],would there be any potential damage or effect on the car engine?.
Note; the car is Toyota corolla S, 04. Thank you, response from the professionals; gazzuz, honmusa and other experienced auto gurus. Anticipating your response.
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by honmusa(m): 9:01am On Oct 14, 2016
geovidal:
Good morning to you all, I was reading a thread on engine oil meant for Toyota corolla, and I found out that the correct engine oil specification is SAE 5W-30. I ve been using total quartz 5000 for servicing for almost a year now which is 20W50. My question is if i revert to the normal oil specification [5W-30],would there be any potential damage or effect on the car engine?.
Note; the car is Toyota corolla S, 04. Thank you, response from the professionals; gazzuz, honmusa and other experienced auto gurus. Anticipating your response.
Depending on the extent of tear and wear damage the 20w50 will have done to your engine piston ring and main bearing. Do a compression test to verify if your cylinder compression is still intact before go ahead to change cos if your piston rings are already worn and you go ahead with the 5w30 which is lighter, your engine will be shorting oil .
Contact my signature if you are in Lagos if you need to conduct this test.
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by geovidal(m): 11:36am On Oct 14, 2016
honmusa:

Depending on the extent of tear and wear damage the 20w50 will have done to your engine piston ring and main bearing. Do a compression test to verify if your cylinder compression is still intact before go ahead to change cos if your piston rings are already worn and you go ahead with the 5w30 which is lighter, your engine will be shorting oil .
thank you for the response. It's unfortunate that my location is Ilorin. What do you suggest.
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by honmusa(m): 11:50am On Oct 14, 2016
geovidal:
thank you for the response. It's unfortunate that my location is Ilorin. What do you suggest.
call my no ,I can put your through some test procedure.
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by geovidal(m): 5:46pm On Oct 14, 2016
honmusa:

call my no ,I can put your through some test procedure.
OK thanks, I will call you soon
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by Greyowl(m): 11:35am On Oct 15, 2016
I equally have same issue but I don't have your contact
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by honmusa(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2016
Greyowl:
I equally have same issue but I don't have your contact
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by pufframmy: 10:50pm On May 03, 2017
Hello Which Engine oil is good for Golf 3
Re: Change Of Engine Oil by tolulinks(m): 1:33am On May 05, 2017
honmusa:

So 20w50 damages the engine? Interesting

(1) (Reply)

Can Brain Box Make My Car To Mis Fire? / J-316 Auto Scanner...check Faults On Your Car Without Visiting Your Mechanic / I Need To Scan My Honda CRV. Where Can I Do That?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.