Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,009 members, 7,810,799 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (19083 Views)

Update Of Engine "Ringing". Elantra 07 / Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine / Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2016
INTRODUCTION
Your mechanic has checked why your car's engine oil keeps shortening or going down; he's found no significant trace of oil drops. But you, the car owner know that you spend at least N2000 topping the engine oil daily. You even have a 4L gallon in your car, just in case it requires topping.

Engine oils are the lifeline of a cars engine.
They cone in different grades and thickness(viscosity). The one to use for your car, would depend on the manufacturers specification, and/or the region where you're located. Cooler climates like North America, and some parts of Europe, require a lighter quality oil, to aid quick start. While in places like Africa and the middle East, temperatures are tropical in nature, so would require somewhat a thicker oil grade for efficient engine operation.
Without it, a car would never move.

BENEFITS OF ENGINE OILS TO AN ENGINE
*acts as a cooling agent for the dissipation of excess heat, from the engine's internal components (crankshafts, piston rings, etc).
*acts as a lubricating agent for the engine. Without adequate lubrication of internal engine components, there's bound to be increased temperature rise, as a result of an engine "knock".

WHEN TO REPLACE AN ENGINE'S ENGINE OIL
**These days, vehicle manufacturers have incorporated oil quality sensors as part of the engine management systems of their various brands. These has being done, to at least, reduce human estimations of oil change intervals.
This type of oil quality monitor sensor, triggers a " MAINTENANCE REQUIRED LIGHT", on a Toyota brand cars, and a "SPANNER SIGN" on Honda brand of cars. Indicators like these appear on the instrument panel (dashboard) of such cars, if the engine oil quality has degraded to a certain percentage, or the vehicle has being driven for more than 7500miles, or so.
NB: After oil change in this methodology, the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED LIGHT or SPANNER SIGN has to be reset.
**The second option is using estimated intervals, such as current date/mileage.
In this method, the date or mileage when the vehicle was serviced, is used as a baseline for the next service. Remember, it depends on which came first. Date, or mileage.

REPLACING A CAR'S ENGINE OIL AS AT WHEN DUE. IS IT RIGHT?
Replacing your car's engine oil as at when due, saves you tremendous amounts of money, and time.
You wouldn't want to be caught unawares with an engine failure while driving down the street, or on a journey.
Though engine damage, does not occur without a SIGN. The car must have being presenting you with subtle signs like a rattle noise, oil shortages on the engine oil dipstick, etc.

***"""""late replacing of your car's engine oil leaves within it's trail, sludge, responsible for most of the engine wears that results into engine damage.***""""""""(see figures below).
The pictures below were from a 2008 Hyundai Tucson 4cylinder engine.

HOW TO TRACE AN ENGINE OIL SHORTAGE PROBLEM
*you continuously add engine oil to the engine
*oil spills in the neighborhood. That's the ground or floor where the car was parked.
NB: If the spills occur very fast(rate of flow), when the engine is idling, that could suggest that its seeping out from the crankshaft pulley oil seal, or the sum(bottom plate).
Recall, whether you've gone over a boulder (rock), and that might have broken the oil pan.
Some shortages could also be as a result of valve cover leaks.

HOW TO FIX AN ENGINE OIL SHORTAGE PROBLEM
The fix to any engine oil shortage issue, is dependent on the nature and location of the leak. If its along the engine belt locations, for example that would require a major engine work. Replacement of the crankshaft pulley oil seal, etc. If you're mechanically inclined, and you're dexterous with tools, I guess it's something you could do to fix the problem. But I'll advice, if you aren't comfortable, you seek a competent mechanic, or a dealership to handle that aspect of the job.

Hope this piece helps someone.

Regards,
Igono Joseph Okeme

****""""" In the coming days and weeks, we'll be treating what you consider before buying a car; and catalytic converters. Pls stay tuned.***"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by sheantip(m): 9:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
thanks
I changed my oil some weeks back but the 'check oil' light still persists (Honda civic).

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 10:57pm On Oct 31, 2016
@shintip. This is what I think is causing the spanner light to display on the dashboard.
s for you. Did your mechanic set the oil life back to 100%? If he didn't, that's why the problem is.
*ask your mechanic to adjust the spanner light
*if that doesn't work, check for oil leaks at the engine oil filter location, and the oil switch. Those are the likely places you'll get oil leaks that would trigger the light.

Do that, and let's get a feedback from you.

Regards,
Joseph
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by gazzuz(m): 7:20am On Nov 01, 2016
TRYGO:
INTRODUCTION
Your mechanic has checked why your car's engine oil keeps shortening or going down; he's found no significant trace of oil drops. But you, the car owner know that you spend at least N2000 topping the engine oil daily. You even have a 4L gallon in your car, just in case it requires topping.

Engine oils are the lifeline of a cars engine.
They cone in different grades and thickness(viscosity). The one to use for your car, would depend on the manufacturers specification, and/or the region where you're located. Cooler climates like North America, and some parts of Europe, require a lighter quality oil, to aid quick start. While in places like Africa and the middle East, temperatures are tropical in nature, so would require somewhat a thicker oil grade for efficient engine operation.
Without it, a car would never move.

BENEFITS OF ENGINE OILS TO AN ENGINE
*acts as a cooling agent for the dissipation of excess heat, from the engine's internal components (crankshafts, piston rings, etc).
*acts as a lubricating agent for the engine. Without adequate lubrication of internal engine components, there's bound to be increased temperature rise, as a result of an engine "knock".

WHEN TO REPLACE AN ENGINE'S ENGINE OIL
**These days, vehicle manufacturers have incorporated oil quality sensors as part of the engine management systems of their various brands. These has being done, to at least, reduce human estimations of oil change intervals.
This type of oil quality monitor sensor, triggers a " MAINTENANCE REQUIRED LIGHT", on a Toyota brand cars, and a "SPANNER SIGN" on Honda brand of cars. Indicators like these appear on the instrument panel (dashboard) of such cars, if the engine oil quality has degraded to a certain percentage, or the vehicle has being driven for more than 7500miles, or so.
NB: After oil change in this methodology, the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED LIGHT or SPANNER SIGN has to be reset.
**The second option is using estimated intervals, such as current date/mileage.
In this method, the date or mileage when the vehicle was serviced, is used as a baseline for the next service. Remember, it depends on which came first. Date, or mileage.

REPLACING A CAR'S ENGINE OIL AS AT WHEN DUE. IS IT RIGHT?
Replacing your car's engine oil as at when due, saves you tremendous amounts of money, and time.
You wouldn't want to be caught unawares with an engine failure while driving down the street, or on a journey.
Though engine damage, does not occur without a SIGN. The car must have being presenting you with subtle signs like a rattle noise, oil shortages on the engine oil dipstick, etc.

***"""""late replacing of your car's engine oil leaves within it's trail, sludge, responsible for most of the engine wears that results into engine damage.***""""""""(see figures below).
The pictures below were from a 2008 Hyundai Tucson 4cylinder engine.

HOW TO TRACE AN ENGINE OIL SHORTAGE PROBLEM
*you continuously add engine oil to the engine
*oil spills in the neighborhood. That's the ground or floor where the car was parked.
NB: If the spills occur very fast(rate of flow), when the engine is idling, that could suggest that its seeping out from the crankshaft pulley oil seal, or the sum(bottom plate).
Recall, whether you've gone over a boulder (rock), and that might have broken the oil pan.
Some shortages could also be as a result of valve cover leaks.

HOW TO FIX AN ENGINE OIL SHORTAGE PROBLEM
The fix to any engine oil shortage issue, is dependent on the nature and location of the leak. If its along the engine belt locations, for example that would require a major engine work. Replacement of the crankshaft pulley oil seal, etc. If you're mechanically inclined, and you're dexterous with tools, I guess it's something you could do to fix the problem. But I'll advice, if you aren't comfortable, you seek a competent mechanic, or a dealership to handle that aspect of the job.

Hope this piece helps someone.

Regards,
Igono Joseph Okeme

explain the highlighted please.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 9:01am On Nov 01, 2016
@gazzuzz. This was what I meant:
In North America, for instance. You have a lot of snow, and sometimes, temperatures getting as low in to the -.....°C. So, in this situation, if the engine has in it a thicker grade(talking about viscosity here now) oil, you know that at that extreme temperature, the engine would have to do a lot more work(cranking the engine), for it to be able to overcome the immerse thickness of the oil before the car finally starts. The risks in here is that the oil pump does much work trying to pump a certain volume of oil to the gallaries of the crankshaft, camshaft, etc. So, the engine is prone to damage. That's why car manufacturers recommend or specify that lighter grade engine oils be used in that part of the work.

In climates like ours(tropical in nature), temperatures here sometimes is similar to that in the middle East. They go sometimes to as high as 40°C. So, that's why when you get import a Tokunbo car in to the country, I advise the car owner to switch to something a little bit thick grade. Maybe 20W-50, etc(pls this is my own personal calculus. You could decide to stick with what works for you). But simple engineering tells me that fluids expand or contract, depending on temperature difference. So, for instance. If you've got a car manufactured for the US market and climate, and was imported to Nigeria for use, definitely using a lighter grade oil, in the car would cause problems. At least I have experienced that. At such a high temperature, say, 35°C, coupled with the extremely high engine temperature of the engine, you'll realize that the oil becomes extremely very light, and begin to seep through points like the interstices of the engine(I.e, in between sump, and engine block; valve covers; in some instances you might even hear rattling noises). But if a thick oil grade us used, the engine operating temperatures, and the outside temperature would definitely make the engine run more smoother, by "reverting the oil thickness, to a lighter grade one, as though the engine was made fie the US market in Nigeria".

I hope you're OK with the this explanation.
Amy concerns you have, or questions, feel free to bring drop them here, or you coukd send me an email:

oigonojoseph stable.com

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2016
TRYGO:
In North America, for instance. You have a lot of snow, and sometimes, temperatures getting as low in to the -.....°C. So, in this situation, if the engine has in it a thicker grade(talking about viscosity here now) oil, you know that at that extreme temperature, the engine would have to do a lot more work(cranking the engine), for it to be able to overcome the immerse thickness of the oil before the car finally starts. The risks in here is that the oil pump does much work trying to pump a certain volume of oil to the gallaries of the crankshaft, camshaft, etc. So, the engine is prone to damage. That's why car manufacturers recommend or specify that lighter grade engine oils be used in that part of the work.

In climates like ours(tropical in nature), temperatures here sometimes is similar to that in the middle East.
They go sometimes to as high as 40°C. So, that's why when you get import a Tokunbo car in to the country, I advise the car owner to switch to something a little bit thick grade. Maybe 20W-50 , etc(pls this is my own personal calculus. You could decide to stick with what works for you). But simple engineering tells me that fluids expand or contract, depending on temperature difference. So, for instance. If you've got a car manufactured for the US market and climate, and was imported to Nigeria for use, definitely using a lighter grade oil, in the car would cause problems. At least I have experienced that. At such a high temperature, say, 35°C, coupled with the extremely high engine temperature of the engine, you'll realize that the oil becomes extremely very light, and begin to seep through points like the interstices of the engine(I.e, in between sump, and engine block; valve covers; in some instances you might even hear rattling noises). But if a thick oil grade us used, the engine operating temperatures, and the outside temperature would definitely make the engine run more smoother, by "reverting the oil thickness, to a lighter grade one, as though the engine was made fie the US market in Nigeria".

Amy concerns you have, or questions, feel free to bring drop them here, or you coukd send me an email:

oigonojoseph stable.com

So if I brought a 2006 lexus with a 2gr-fe engine you would advice me to pour 20w50 into it?

Sad, quite sad.

7 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by honmusa(m): 9:44am On Nov 01, 2016
TRYGO:

In climates like ours(tropical in nature), temperatures here sometimes is similar to that in the middle East. They go sometimes to as high as 40°C. So, that's why when you get import a Tokunbo car in to the country, I advise the car owner to switch to something a little bit thick grade. Maybe 20W-50, etc(pls this is my own personal calculus. You could decide to stick with what works for you). But simple engineering tells me that fluids expand or contract, depending on temperature difference. So, for instance. If you've got a car manufactured for the US market and climate, and was imported to Nigeria for use, definitely using a lighter grade oil, in the car would cause problems. At least I have experienced that. At such a high temperature, say, 35°C, coupled with the extremely high engine temperature of the engine, you'll realize that the oil becomes extremely very light, and begin to seep through points like the interstices of the engine(I.e, in between sump, and engine block; valve covers; in some instances you might even hear rattling noises). But if a thick oil grade us used, the engine operating temperatures, and the outside temperature would definitely make the engine run more smoother, by "reverting the oil thickness, to a lighter grade one, as though the engine was made fie the US market in Nigeria".

oigonojoseph stable.com
Let the car manufacturer owner manual be your guide instead making wrong assumption .I am yet to see a manufacture that will state in their manual that car owner use heavy oil such as 20w50 for servicing in tropical region as Nigeria.This is a Kazeem way of thinking!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by diportivo: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2016
Na wa o

In summer in the USA,car owners don't change oil to 20W50..and summer can be extremely hot...try florida grin

Generally I don't understand how people think that the sun doesn't shine outside of Africa and the middle east

undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 10:56am On Nov 01, 2016
@dipor. Like your comments a great lot. Helps me to go do more on my researches.
Thanks though.
There's nothing sad in this. You choose what type of oil you use in your car's engine.
I just decided to culled this Info about oil stuffs to support some of the points have made.
All cars made for the North American markets are supposed to use API SL energy conserving, orILSAC multi grade engine oil with this viscosity 5W-30. That's a more lighter grade oil to help in initial starts. Can't you think out this, Diportivo? OK. do a bit of research online why cars use that grade of oil in extremely cold climates.
It doesn't make sense to me, to continue using an oil grade meant for another climate in Nigeria. Compare the two temperatures if those regions na.
The 20-50W is still what I would recommend for my clients. I don't recommend any kind of oil. Go through the details of that oil.
Major oil marketers already have such oils in the country. Forte oil(API SL), Mobil(20-50W, and even the 5-30W).
So, for me. I don't just use any oil, or product for my repairs. I look at where was that car manufactured, and what market and climate was it meant for. That way, I do my modifications, for instance the oil thing, using oil charts.
Why do you think cars made for the USA market, Nigerians import in to our country is as new. But after some months of usage, you begin to bear the cost of repairs. Shocks, linkages, are replaced. Do you think if a client comes to me with issues like to rectify, and simply because the manufacturer says use only "bruscoe" parts, I'll then go straight to purchase them? I would never do that. If I could get alternatives from a company that have taken into consideration in their design of the shocks, linkages, etc, bad roads, extreme temperatures, etc, I would advice the client to go for it. It just doesn't make sense to me replacing OEM parts over and over again, if there are alternatives made for our climate.

Na small thing be all tour concerns na, diportivo
Sorry to ask o! Are a car owner, or a mechanic?
Have you done a course called FLUID MECHANICS in the university, or any tertiary institutions? Perhaps, you'll know why I advuae my clients for the 20-50W. That's just the JUSTIFICATION.

Like your comments though.
If you're on Facebook, type DW Nig Ltd on your search icon. There are lots of video clips and pictures there for your perusal.

PS: Almost all Camry, Highlander, rav4, with a V6 configuration of '07-present are 2GR, with a U160E transmission(22pinout transmission socket). Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 12:25pm On Nov 01, 2016
@diportivo. I didn't say car owners use 20-50W in such places as the USA. Read through the article in its entity, or check the reply I sent you earlier.
Normally, oil grades has being lot of problems, on this forum. There are those for and against. Its a choice.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 12:37pm On Nov 01, 2016
@diportivo. I didn't say car owners use 20-50W in such places as the USA. Read through the article in its entity, or check the reply I sent you earlier.
Normally, oil grades has being lot of problems, on this forum. There are those for and against. Its a choice.

@honmusa. Don't know what a KAZEEM kind of mentality is o! I didn't say the manufacturer started that. If the car was intended for the Nigerian market, sure those guys would definitely state that in the maintenance manual.
I modify stuffs a lot, but not at risks of the laid down OEM standard.
For instance. If you're exporting HONMUSA Cherokee jeeps to the USA now. Won't you in your feasibility studies or design, known that, the USA isn't suppose to use the kind of oil grade, your $company" has specified for the Cherokee meant for export? Don't you think if the oil grade you've being using here is a 20-.....something(W), and your quality assurance department says, "Oga, use that one". Won't you go ahead and sack your line managers? I see all these as simple logical reasoning.

That's why this car talk thing is called a forum.
You talk, I talk. At the end, we all go still learn.

@diportivo
@honmusa
@gazzuzz
Abi no be true?
Everyone has access to the internet, to go do their own research o! I love writing, so I just de do my own nio!!!!!
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by diportivo: 4:15pm On Nov 01, 2016
TRYGO:

U have quoted me like a zillion times on this ur thread angry

I can read,and I posted based on what I read

I never said u said USA cars use 20w50.I made my post to discredit ur stance on weather being a factor to change ur oil grade

If u are right,places in the USA that have high temperature during summer should have their oil changed to something heavier.....

Since u av done ur feasibility study and 20w50 is ur choice,fire on my brother grin

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by gazzuz(m): 6:50pm On Nov 01, 2016
diportivo:

I never said u said USA cars use 20w50.I made my post to discredit ur stance on weather being a factor to change ur oil grade

If u are right,places in the USA that have high temperature during summer should have their oil changed to something heavier.....

Since u av done ur feasibility study and 20w50 is ur choice,fire on my brother grin

grin grin grin grin

I'm yet to see 20w50 full synthetic, i'm sure trygo forbids synthetic oils too.

3 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by mayor2013: 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2016
What type of oil do they then use in dubai and in states that have got harsh temperature comapred to Nigeria. Or do they still use 20w50?
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2016
@gazzuzz. I can't forbid synthetic oil usage na. They're are cool stuff. You've then in Mobil 1.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 8:30pm On Nov 01, 2016
@gazzuzz. I can't forbid synthetic oil usage na. They're are cool stuff. You've then in Mobil 1. It has an extended usage on the engine, than the regular ones you see around, like the XHP.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 8:33pm On Nov 01, 2016
@mayor. You've for the answer at the introductory part of the article, where I gave an example with the oil usage grades in North America, and Middle East.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by sooperrescue(m): 9:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
I once used Oando sm 20w 50 on my range rover sport and i travelled to Abuja and I spent 7 days on the road. The oil destroyed my catalyst and plugs were soaked and my fan belt pulled out and when I complained to Oando, they blamed me for using the sm instead of synthetic. Op, I wish you could give us the model of cars that you use heavy oils on. Sl grade of oil are for cars before 2005. Using heavy oils on a range rover is a recipe for Engine damage. I cant for useless gain use 20w50 on even a 2005 corrola talkless of using it on a 2004 bmw. Your thesis is not accurate. I have invested a lot of money buying Mobil1 Usa and Castrol edge Usa 5w30 and I have seen the difference. And there is nothing like Briscoe parts, it is a kazeem terminology.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 11:16pm On Nov 01, 2016
@sooperrescue. Let's treat the issues you've presented on the table, one by one.

Spent 7days on the road, destroyed your catalytic converter, spark plugs soaked, and drive belt slipped.

**Oga. If you critically look at those problems you've enumerated, above, there isn't any where that oil, could have destroyed that catalytic converter. What mostly foul a catalytic converter is extremely high temperatures, and engine misfires(P0300.....something codes), amongst other reasons. If a misfire isn't treated in time, your catalytic converter gets damaged.

**Spark plugs soaks, suggests to me, is either that car must have being having engine related problems before that time, or something else. It would behoove you air, to note that if the compression rings in that can is weak, would get soaked spark plugs. If the PCV(Positive crankcase ventilation) has an issue, or there are oil leaks from the seals in the valve cover spark plug holes, oil would definitely sip into the combustion chamber.

**drive belt slippage has already confirmed some of my concerns above, that your engine must have had oil leak issues. You have your camshaft and crankshaft seals positioned around the belt area, and also the valve corner is close by. So, how can you conclude that the use of that oil rippled in to all what you've said was the aftermath of using the oil?
I do not think what you've said about the aftermath of the usage of that oil makes any engineering sense to me, and to me, tour car has already got an issue before all that.

**On cars have used that oil on, have used it on several cars. The crux for me is, not to expect to get out of a mobile XHP oil, for instance the benefits you'll her from a Mobil1 oil. Their additives aren't same.
Useless benefits? Well, that depends on you sir! Have used that stuff innumerable tomes, and have got no issue. You choose rather what you want to use, or simply buy your oil, and take it to your mechanic for an oil change. That would be cool.
Oil grades and stuffs like that has got varying opinions with people. Lits of pros and cons abound.

**Wrong thesis? Well, na you talk am o! Most of the stuffs I put on this forum are from both primary and secondary sources. My experience in the field, and also just my sitting down and thinking through things.
I think all these bla!!! about oil grades is synonymous to some people saying is it right to use fuel cleaning substances in your car, or not. Some would say its OK, whole others tell you the manufacturer hasn't recommended stuff like that.

In summary, I put it to you that tour staying on the road for 7days wasn't as a result of the aftermath of the oil usage. Tour car's a mechanical problem, before that.
Could you please google the cause of catalytic converter failure? Oil seeping from your exhaust manifold in to the exhaust system can dealth a final blow to the substrate inside the catalytic converter shell. A weak catalyst can damage your catalytic converter.

I have used that oil on a range rover 2006.
****I'm not a KAZEEM ooo! My name is:
Igono Joseph Okeme.

Check out our videos and pictures on my Facebook page. Here's a nice stuff I think you'll like.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=880772322031582&id=767933589982123

You could also get other stuffs by typing DW Nig Ltd on your Facebook search icon.

PS: You and I know that when you hear people say "briscoe" part, what it means really is GENUINE PARTS. Maybe in my write up I should have said genuine parts I guess.
Would try to make such corrections in my subsequent write-ups in due course.

3 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by sooperrescue(m): 4:57am On Nov 02, 2016
You may be right or I may be right also. The only thing I did to revive my car was to clean the plugs, flush out the oil and remove the catalyst and then I used Total 4x4 and it was okay. My spending seven days on the road was caused by the heavy oil that even the oil producer was surprised that I used that oil formula on my range rover. They later introduced the synthetic oil to me. I hope you have a direct link with the oil companies or else they will be agonizing on your behalf that you are using their oil to destroy people's engines.If your car says use 5w30, for your peace of mind, use 5 w 30 but it is not all 5 w 30 that are 5w30. The range rover that you used the oil on, I guess it is still on the road or in my workshop for engine revival?
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by TRYGO(m): 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2016
@rescue. You may be right as you've said. The range sport is still operational. Well, let's allow all this rest. Its a choice everyone has got to make.
Hope you doing cool men!

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by USPlaceofAutos: 11:05am On Nov 03, 2016
It is important to use oil that meets automotive standard.

To choose the proper type of oil for your vehicle, refer to your manufacturer’s manual because that is where you can get the right viscosity oil e.g. 0W30, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, etc. In cases where you can’t find the manual, it’s also common to see the recommended oil printed on the oil cap under the hood or you can check the internet.

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by erico2k2(m): 11:51am On Nov 06, 2016
diportivo:

I still do not know what it will take to let people understand that as far as your car has an internal combustion engine, the internal workings of your Engine do not get affected by external weather conditions as its designed to regulate its o wn temperature.Even if you like drive your car in Moscow then take it to sahara.Was this not the same reason given for the thermostat to be removed, where some mechanics came up with the term Tropicalizing grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by diportivo: 2:30pm On Nov 06, 2016
erico2k2:

I still do not know what it will take to let people understand that as far as your car has an internal combustion engine, the internal workings of your Engine do not get affected by external weather conditions as its designed to regulate its o wn temperature.Even if you like drive your car in Moscow then take it to sahara.Was this not the same reason given for the thermostat to be removed, where some mechanics came up with the term Tropicalizing grin grin grin grin

We might av to sacrifice 3 cocks and 2 goats to appease a certain god ignoramus

grin

2 Likes

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by erico2k2(m): 8:45pm On Nov 06, 2016
diportivo:

We might av to sacrifice 3 cocks and 2 goats to appease a certain god ignoramus

grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by Nobody: 4:32am On Nov 07, 2016
TRYGO:
@dipor. Like your comments a great lot. Helps me to go do more on my researches.
Thanks though.
There's nothing sad in this. You choose what type of oil you use in your car's engine.
I just decided to culled this Info about oil stuffs to support some of the points have made.
All cars made for the North American markets are supposed to use API SL energy conserving, orILSAC multi grade engine oil with this viscosity 5W-30. That's a more lighter grade oil to help in initial starts. Can't you think out this, Diportivo? OK. do a bit of research online why cars use that grade of oil in extremely cold climates.
It doesn't make sense to me, to continue using an oil grade meant for another climate in Nigeria. Compare the two temperatures if those regions na.
The 20-50W is still what I would recommend for my clients. I don't recommend any kind of oil. Go through the details of that oil.
Major oil marketers already have such oils in the country. Forte oil(API SL), Mobil(20-50W, and even the 5-30W).
So, for me. I don't just use any oil, or product for my repairs. I look at where was that car manufactured, and what market and climate was it meant for. That way, I do my modifications, for instance the oil thing, using oil charts.
Why do you think cars made for the USA market, Nigerians import in to our country is as new. But after some months of usage, you begin to bear the cost of repairs. Shocks, linkages, are replaced. Do you think if a client comes to me with issues like to rectify, and simply because the manufacturer says use only "bruscoe" parts, I'll then go straight to purchase them? I would never do that. If I could get alternatives from a company that have taken into consideration in their design of the shocks, linkages, etc, bad roads, extreme temperatures, etc, I would advice the client to go for it. It just doesn't make sense to me replacing OEM parts over and over again, if there are alternatives made for our climate.

Na small thing be all tour concerns na, diportivo
Sorry to ask o! Are a car owner, or a mechanic?
Have you done a course called FLUID MECHANICS in the university, or any tertiary institutions? Perhaps, you'll know why I advuae my clients for the 20-50W. That's just the JUSTIFICATION.

Like your comments though.
If you're on Facebook, type DW Nig Ltd on your search icon. There are lots of video clips and pictures there for your perusal.

PS: Almost all Camry, Highlander, rav4, with a V6 configuration of '07-present are 2GR, with a U160E transmission(22pinout transmission socket). Correct me if I'm wrong.
you have obviously not done any research at all.... you just came to create a thread bereft of knowledge base.

a simple search on cartalk section would have cured your ignorance.... loads of Siena Gbudje's posts... Trac..... Ikenna351.... lomomike now kingreign.... smartchoice.... auhanson.... kuntash.... yungboss .... cardoctor.... cityNG... newcomers like gazzuzz... oldies like pafestula .. jahjehovah.... Aikerism... brightcom.... and a host of others... study to show thyself approved...

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by Ajusshi: 6:59am On Nov 07, 2016
If your oil keeps shorting, then your car engine has smoked. Period.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by eezeribe(m): 7:01am On Nov 07, 2016
Stating the obvious
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by sakalisis(m): 7:07am On Nov 07, 2016
cool
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by adanny01(m): 7:15am On Nov 07, 2016
TRYGO!

That your thread is on front page means you are promoting evil that car talk section has been preaching against.

Climate has no effect on an engine as an engine is designed to work in any climate in the world. Because of the change in climate that is why the multi grade engine oil was developed out of single grade oils we were used to. 5w30 is a multi grade oil while SAE 30 is a single grade. Think of multigrage oil as SAE 5+SAE 30 which makes it multigrade. SAE 30 is what the car needs when running hot in any climate while SAE 5 is what the car needs to start safely in when cold as low as less that 5degrees celsius. The running temp of an engine is around 90-98degrees Celsius. The climatic temperature anywhere in the world is less than 60 so cannot effect the internal temperature of the engine as long as every thing works. The only effect is in dessipation of the heat generated which is faster with lower climatic temperature.

Also, temperature band in the US range between -50 to 50 degrees while in Nigeria 15 to 40, what makes you think we need to modify their cars when they have hotter temperatures than we do?

Let's stop propagating false or not well thought out info.

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by adanny01(m): 7:19am On Nov 07, 2016
erico2k2:

God bless you erico2k2.
Re: Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages by muller101(m): 8:22am On Nov 07, 2016
sheantip:
thanks
I changed my oil some weeks back but the 'check oil' light still persists (Honda civic).
confirm if there is blockage on ur oil pump filter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use / Jeep Unveils The 2020 Gladiator Off-roader That Is Part SUV,Part Pickup / Which Is The Best Cost Effective New Tyre?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.