Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Placing Knowledge Above Grades - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Placing Knowledge Above Grades (521 Views)

FUNAAB Student Caught Placing Bet During A Lecture (Photo) / Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Bbsharon(f): 1:51pm On Oct 14, 2016
Staring at the board to be sure I had seen clearly and my name was rightly spelt. Yes it was and I had failed my maths exam woefully, I couldn't hold back the tears as I looked down to see if my friends had terrible scores like mine but they didn't, they all passed even some having A's. I wondered what went wrong and what I didn't do right, was I just unfortunate or simply dull ? NO I WASN'T I SIMPLY DIDN'T HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THAT COURSE NOR UNDERSTANDING, I just wanted to pass and move on to the next class.That was the struggle and still what many student and even individuals are passing though today THE FEAR OF FAILURE AND PURSUIT OF SUCCESS.

KNOWLEDGE can be defined as having a general understanding or being familiar with a subject, place, situation or being fully aware or informed of a particular fact or situation. Today in our higher institutions many students no longer care about the pursuits of knowledge but care more about getting good grades, getting good and mouthwatering paid jobs and settling down in cities and islands. That is the order of the day and what a pitiful mindset to achieving fulfillment. BEING FULFILLED is being in a state of happiness, satisfaction and rest even while you are still working. Many confused being fulfilled with having great riches, beautiful hubby and lovely kids, having investment here and there but in the real sense and actual fact being fulfilled does not have to do with any of these. You may have all the wealth in the world but never find happiness nor rest because you have misplaced your priorities right from the outset, which is the education you have acquired.

Are you one of those that would only want to cram to pass a course as it is fondly called in higher institutions " la cram la pour" that is the way you crammed it up same way you download no addition nor subtraction and equally no knowledge gained whatsoever.

Are you part of those that pursued or pursuing success alone and never considered the path of excellence. Success can be easily achieved, anyone can also easily tell you weldone for being successful at something but can they really recommend you to someone else ? Do you think you can be an expert in your field through that success or you feel staying successful alone is okay for you? You can be an expert at whatever you do if only you have the knowledge and insight about what you do and not just following some pattern or guidelines of how you think things should be done. EXCELLENCE is achieved through indepth knowledge. It's either you are good at it or someone else is better than you. You wonder why some do some things easily while you struggle at it ? You wonder why you keep failing at that task ? You wonder why you never seem to just get it right? Well stop wondering and start acquiring knowledge.

Are you part of those that walk around with just the mindset of IT'S EITHER AM SUCCESSFUL OR I BECOME A TOTAL FAILURE OR WASTE? Simply because things start getting difficult you start nurturing the thoughts of failing. Once you fail any course the only thing you think of is why should you fail and depression takes over. You forget and let go whatever knowledge acquired in the class, you just keep pondering on how to get the grades right the next sitting and totally care less about the knowledge. You get overwhelmed with the thought of being a failure and then walk helplessly around. Rather than getting depressed stir up yourself to write the course again and this time with a different mindset of having full understanding of the course.

Have seen case where some people are defined as just BEING BRILLIANT AND NOT INTELLIGENT simply because they can't reason out of their books or their normal routine of learning. They are confined solely to a particular spot, they have refuse to improve or sharpen their skills nor knowledge. These people don't interact with people nor make friends aside those talking about grades or books only. They are always the vibrant ones in class cramming word to word and then answering questions in class in a way that defines the textbook without even an iota of understanding of what they are saying. They want the grades so badly because to them that's the only path to being successful. Whereas they are other student who are not eager about all these but still gets average grades, most of these other students acquire knowledge and not only from their books but even from their environment. At the end of the day the brilliant ones end up failing at every interview as their can't think critically when ask simple questions asides their textbooks while the average ones keep getting the jobs. NO ONE IS "DOING" YOU NOR "TIEING" YOU DOWN you are simply not knowledgeable.

At the end of the day what do you do with a first class without knowledge or a second class upper without insight ? You simply look useless to yourself and even tho some people keep admiring you and wishing they had what you have you know you aren't worth it...YOU ARE JUST A PATCH OF BOOKS WITHOUT COVER WHICH IS KNOWLEDGE.

After all said and done it's not too late to go back to the drawing board if you have missed it rather than keep wallowing in self pity encourage yourself to turn a new leaf and start paying attention to those things that really matters and can help shape your life positively. KNOWLEDGE ACQUIRED TODAY IS THE GAIN OF TOMORROW.

Lalasticlala Seun Fynestboi mynd44 please I took out time to write this myself please kindly put on front page if it's worth sharing.

http://www.demitalks.com/2016/10/acquire-knowledge-and-not-cgpa.html?m=1

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Bbsharon(f): 11:37am On Oct 15, 2016
Lalasticlala please help move to front page
Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Gerrard59(m): 12:39pm On Oct 15, 2016
Bbsharon:
Lalasticlala please help move to front page

Sister, na so the thing dey for everywhere oh. If you think ours is bad, try Japan, South Korea, China or Singapore where parents spent $1BN shocked shocked last year on extramural lessons even when they (Singapore) have one of the best education system in the world.
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/7-in-10-parents-send-their-children-for-tuition-st-poll

Nonetheless, being knowledgeable is good but being Brilliant, Intelligent, Smart and Knowledgeable is the best. cool
Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Bbsharon(f): 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
Gerrard59:

Sister, na so the thing dey for everywhere oh. If you think ours is bad, try Japan, South Korea, China or Singapore where parents spent $1BN shocked shocked last year on extramural lessons even when they (Singapore) have one of the best education system in the world.
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/7-in-10-parents-send-their-children-for-tuition-st-poll

Nonetheless, being knowledgeable is good but being Brilliant, Intelligent, Smart and Knowledgeable is the best. cool

Yea...exactly.
Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Gerrard59(m): 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2016
I think another reason that makes some students get ridiculously low grades is because they don't know the intricates of their discipline before choosing it and become admitted.

I remembered when I was about entering and thought of Computer Science as one cool and chic course full of grammar and notes. It was when I entered and I saw folks (circa 90%) bagging parallel Fs in that department shocked shocked. I go do thanksgiving for not choosing the course oh. grin.

My knowledge of mathematics is simple maths; not differentiation, calculus, Laplace theory shocked.

What about when folks who chose physics and after the first year, 60% changed from the department. Who wan fail? Or in Medical College, where if you fail mathematics (I was told) in your first year (any semester), you're told in a sweet tone with nice accent to please leave. Or the lad who gets high scores in English (80 minimum) and has deficiencies in calculations but is majoring in Chemical Engineering.
Let me not talk about Pharmacy sef, those folks are brutal. You repeat a year.

Make person know wetin s/he fit handle before entering to avoid stories that touch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Eleniyan15: 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nobody want to fail bbsharon
You cant be good in every course, there some course you may not open your note and still explain some topic on it even though you didnt go through it, and they are other course you will just want to pass and forget about it for this era wey be say less than 45 nah F.

You cant blame the student alone what about the lecturers and the course you offering(may likely require la cram la pour, why others general knowledge is needed)

in a particular course i decided not to cram make i just use general knowledge@ the end of the day i checked my profile mehn i saw 2...i learnt my lesson.

KNOWLEDGE is POWER
Re: Placing Knowledge Above Grades by Bbsharon(f): 1:36pm On Oct 15, 2016
Eleniyan15:
Nobody want to fail bbsharon
You cant be good in every course, there some course you may not open your note and still explain some topic on it even though you didnt go through it, and they are other course you will just want to pass and forget about it for this era wey be say less than 45 nah F.

You cant blame the student alone what about the lecturers and the course you offering(may likely require la cram la pour, why others general knowledge is needed)

in a particular course i decided not to cram make i just use general knowledge@ the end of the day i checked my profile mehn i saw 2...i learnt my lesson.

KNOWLEDGE is POWER

Thanks for these contribution...

(1) (Reply)

Spell Sugar / TSA Policy Stalling Research In Universities – ASUU Chairman / Download Any Youtube Video Tutorial You've Been Dreaming Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.