Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. (33348 Views)

‘NYSC Changed My Perception Of Igbos’ / How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo / Tell Us How NYSC Travel And Inside Your Various Camp Is Going? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2016
joey150:
Trying to score cheap points for the north?

I can only agree with you if you choose ro remain there for a year after service.

Pray you don't be in the mix when another completely differnt eastern guy provoke them..your head is likely to follow when they run amok.

But still....there are still good people there. But its not all flowers and roses as you are trying to paint for us. To them you are like one foreigner so they still hold you in high regard.

Why would the OP be trying to score cheap points on behalf of a region he does not belong, what could be his motivation?
You sound disappointed that he did not tow the usual negative stereotype being perpetuated by sensationalization of a few (though true and unfortunate) incidences by the southern dominated media - against the reality on the ground.
FYI, there are many post NYSC southerners who had been absorbed by the organisations of their primary assignment (mostly state governments) and subsequently decided to settle in the north.
Though you may not necessarily have to believe me; however, I have been personally responsible for the employment of a few southerners (over 14 Igbos and 1 Yoruba) into my own state organisation - among them corpers and fresh applicants.

As the OP mentioned, the operative key word for southerners wishing to visit or stay especially in the Muslim north is RESPECT: respect for the religion and culture - sadly, there are some ppl known for their propensity to insult, disrespect as well as provoke who unfortunately may have been the cause of their own grief.

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by blackjah(m): 7:20am On Oct 17, 2016
na only zamfara you stay for a year you feel say you can say for the whole north? You for get different talk if na your batch them touch that time for north, mugu
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Johnsinia(m): 7:20am On Oct 17, 2016
op, if you love north go and live there na as a non corp member, I hope you still keep this your confession after 6month. mind you I did my primary and secondary sch in the north by the grace of God and run away for my life. North is HELL
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by PlanetAjose(m): 7:36am On Oct 17, 2016
waoh!!! U simply narrated my experience.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by TeamSimple(m): 7:53am On Oct 17, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Fom your sumission it means the north is not secured na....how will a male child squat to piss....it means u are not free in your own country to practice your own way of life...you are just plainly confused....when did southerners mandate northerners to stand while urinating...? Hypocritical lots
If you read me well,i said some people carry out the act in such insanely manner. They stand while showing their joystick around. Please dont tell me thats normal,you have countless of zinc toilet at almost every corner in the north to serve that purpose.
Call it hypocrisy or whatever,but if you must stand while urinating then do it in private not publicly . Its their law,you either accept it or bow out.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by TeamSimple(m): 7:56am On Oct 17, 2016
ghostmist:
so you expected your friend to start squatting like woman like they all do over there abi??

just tell him to become a Muslim na..? just because he chooses to pee like a man, they are offended...

what rubbish!!

gerrout joor...!
Do you have sense at all? No one is saying he has to squat while pissing or whatever. If he must stand then he has to go private.

I am a muslim,i urinate but i dont squat. But u will never catch me dangling my manhood carelessly in publicly.

Hatred for Islam has made so many people lost their sense of common reasoning.

If you dont have public respect for yourself at least you have for other road users and stop displaying your sillyness.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by jamilshehu(m): 7:58am On Oct 17, 2016
we are all saying our view about the north and other part of the country.. am serving in AKWA IBOM state presently and i am from the North. but I want to categorically say that no place like north. in terms of easy living, food stuffs are cheap, transportation, God is just like free. and there are so may attraction site. the first time I saw a real lion was when In kano ZOO. and do u know how much the gate fee was? just 50 NAIRA but here in Uyo to enter tropicarna is 500 Naira just to watch a film that I can download with 200MB. in the north u can cook a pot of stew with just 200 Naira but that u can hardly do in other part of this country. and my own opinion about the northern people, they are not hostile. all they want from u and me is to respect their religion and culture. if u do that I BET u, u will enjoy ur life in that part of the country, which is not a big problem to do. (ie. non of us here will allow someone to come to our house and insult us or our parent and go scout free) that what they want. so if am allow to choose my place and the north. God knows that I will choose ..........

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by jamilshehu(m): 8:13am On Oct 17, 2016
TeamSimple:

Do you have sense at all? No one is saying he has to squat while pissing or whatever. If he must stand then he has to go private.

I am a muslim,i urinate but i dont squat. But u will never catch me dangling my manhood carelessly in publicly.

If you dont have public respect for yourself at least you have for other road users and stop displaying your sillyness.
even animals squat while trying to pee. but u see some gals or ladys opening dia legs and standing just too pee. Please less say the truth is that NORMAL?

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by asha80(m): 8:20am On Oct 17, 2016
Fearcom:
The irony of the religious crisis in the north was triggered by an Igbo man:Major Nzeogwu who entered the house of the most revered leader of northern muslims saurdana of sokoto's palace, dragged him out and shot him like a dog during the first ever military coup. And the fool had the effrontery to take the picture of himself putting his boot on the dead man's face to The north hasn't recovered from that time: and they haven't forgotten either.
I guess the 1945 Jos riot,1953 Kano riot that happened before nzeogwu was not in the north..

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 17, 2016
mikolo80:
my dad lost everything in his village. Should we run away from there too.
Crisis is crisis anywhere

I'm a westerner living in the east. if a Yoruba commit a crime he will be dealt with. in the north if you say anything about religion. everyone that is not indigenous will be attacked. go preach to the victim of madalla bomb blast. or the carpenter that eat during ramadan. or the family of the woman that was killed because of early morning preaching or the woman whose head was cut off in kano for religious blasphemy. mind you I'm a Muslim.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by JayceeYT: 8:28am On Oct 17, 2016
i was in the north (kano) and I went to boarding school at wusasa Zaria and I would say the north is probably the most enjoyable place to live, in Nigeria....But I won't advice anybody to settle there for any reason...
op just be careful, because when there riots starts corpers are the most targeted victims
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by asha80(m): 8:29am On Oct 17, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

Why would the OP be trying to score cheap points on behalf of a region he does not belong, what could be his motivation?
You sound disappointed that he did not tow the usual negative stereotype being perpetuated by sensationalization of a few (though true and unfortunate) incidences by the southern dominated media - against the reality on the ground.
FYI, there are many post NYSC southerners who had been absorbed by the organisations of their primary assignment (mostly state governments) and subsequently decided to settle in the north.
Though you may not necessarily have to believe me; however, I have been personally responsible for the employment of a few southerners (over 14 Igbos and 1 Yoruba) into my own state organisation - among them corpers and fresh applicants.

As the OP mentioned, the operative key word for southerners wishing to visit or stay especially in the Muslim north is RESPECT: respect for the religion and culture - sadly, there are some ppl known for their propensity to insult, disrespect as well as provoke who unfortunately may have been the cause of their own grief.
how was the danish cartoon riots the fault of the people from other parts of the country?

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by orbitriz: 8:30am On Oct 17, 2016
LordIsaac:
B
But there were people who came to the same North and are not alive today. The most recent was the pastor's wife who was murdered. So my brother, your view is not absolute. Just thank God you weren't a victim of illiteracy and fanatiscm!

And u think all Northerners that went to the southern part of the country returned back to their home state selfie.

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Ugmama(m): 8:38am On Oct 17, 2016
MeenalKd:
yes oooo..I was harassedvso I had to stop using it..
at least you were safe, i am from SE but i served in Yobe state.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Hdz4luv: 8:45am On Oct 17, 2016
I concur
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by murphyibiam15(m): 8:53am On Oct 17, 2016
TeamSimple:

If you read me well,i said some people carry out the act in such insanely manner. They stand while showing their joystick around. Please dont tell me thats normal,you have countless of zinc toilet at almost every corner in the north to serve that purpose.
Call it hypocrisy or whatever,but if you must stand while urinating then do it in private not publicly . Its their law,you either accept it or bow out.
Abeg shut up.....so hw does this your submission now make north what u guys ascribed it to be...and the last time I checked no sane man will show his prick while urinating.....just don't type trash
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by murphyibiam15(m): 8:59am On Oct 17, 2016
WinningSun:

I'm a westerner living in the east. if a Yoruba commit a crime he will be dealt with. in the north if you say anything about religion. everyone that is not indigenous will be attacked. go preach to the victim of madalla bomb blast. or the carpenter that eat during ramadan. or the family of the woman that was killed because of early morning preaching or the woman whose head was cut off in kano for religious blasphemy. mind you I'm a Muslim.
May Allah bless you for your unbiased report....only truth shall set us free
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by murphyibiam15(m): 9:12am On Oct 17, 2016
TeamSimple:

Bros argue with humour na.....how does one trying to remove the remaining urine over his prick by flinging it amount to sth bad...let's use our head na
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by TeamSimple(m): 10:11am On Oct 17, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Abeg shut up.....so hw does this your submission now make north what u guys ascribed it to be...and the last time I checked no sane man will show his prick while urinating.....just don't type trash
Well the law is for the insane people then.
Like the saying goes when the guilty is serving a punishment,the innocent also shares a lil bit of it.

Why did the lagos state government stop hawking on highways? Coz it breeds criminals,but tell me are all the hawkers criminals?

When you are raising a point against me,do that with your senses on activation. Dont quote me coz u just wanna appease ur ego.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by TeamSimple(m): 10:13am On Oct 17, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Bros argue with humour na.....how does one trying to remove the remaining urine over his prick by flinging it amount to sth bad...let's use our head na
You must be epileptic.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ALISMILE(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2016
LordIsaac:
B
But there were people who came to the same North and are not alive today. The most recent was the pastor's wife who was murdered. So my brother, your view is not absolute. Just thank God you weren't a victim of illiteracy and fanatiscm!
I guess where u live pple don't get killed from one form of violence or the other.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by murphyibiam15(m): 10:52am On Oct 17, 2016
TeamSimple:

You must be epileptic.
Na ur mu.mu ma.ma be epileptic....Nikita ara
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by murphyibiam15(m): 10:53am On Oct 17, 2016
TeamSimple:

Well the law is for the insane people then.
Like the saying goes when the guilty is serving a punishment,the innocent also shares a lil bit of it.

Why did the lagos state government stop hawking on highways? Coz it breeds criminals,but tell me are all the hawkers criminals?

When you are raising a point against me,do that with your senses on activation. Dont quote me coz u just wanna appease ur ego.
Your comparison with Lagos ban of hawking shows how mentally retarded you are....pathetic
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by zika1(f): 10:56am On Oct 17, 2016
LordIsaac:
B
there are also people who stay as far as possible from the north but still get killed one way or the other. Only God can protect us. Pls try to erase the mentality u have of the north....
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by deesdee: 11:00am On Oct 17, 2016
At the middle of this writeup i had to stop and wipe out tears from my eyes. not because of anything because this post explain the major problem we are facing in this country. and that Nigerian youths need to wakeup and focus on whats good for us. we should forget about tribe and religious differences thats actually nothing. politicians are using that to get what they want. A Muslim is not difference from a Christian, we just have to be good Muslims or Christians. if you are from Zamfara you have to look at a Lagosian as your brther vise versa.

Thank you so much for your writeup
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by wiseoneking: 11:08am On Oct 17, 2016
Chriswazo:

Lol, what will they do if am not a corper? chop up my head? Lol. Bro I lived there, so i don't believe you.

You must be an igbo woman from imo state. They have strong attraction to islam and hausa men. 80% of igbo women married to hausas are imo women, and it is almost impossible for Anambra women. I have lived and worked in Zamfara for several years and i have live in different local govt like in Anka, kaura nomoda, bukkuyum though i was based in Gusau. I think i know the people more than you. Yes, Zamfara/ sokoto states are the most peaceful states in the core north but you cannot denied that they see you worst than a beast. You are just a Kafir that is not Worthy to live amongs them. i quite agree a lot with some of the things you wrote may not be lie but the truth you may be denying your self is that you are dangerously hated because you are a christian. You really have not seen anything. The NCCF Christian corpers lodge in Gusau is a master piece and it is the best in the country. They have been trying to pull it down since it was built. Churches were burnt just 6 yrs ago. In thesame place, christians worship with soldiers guarding them. I hope you saw what happened in Talata mafara few months ago. Thank God you were not in Gusau btw mid nineties and during Abiola's saga, you may not be saying this. Been igbo in Zamfara is a big thing because igbo is the life line of the capital city seeing virtually all the biz activities like large shopping super markets Stores, big pharceutical and private hospitals, several hotels, private primary schools etc are in the hands of the igbos. They know that touching christians are like touching the igbos which impact negatively on the dev of that state. You may even know the history that more than 70% flee from Zamfara state when the muslims threaten to eliminate them during Abiola crisis and never returned. Igbo used to be more than what you see. I think you are a potential Hajia who can make a good wife of an Alhaji. Thats how it starts but be very careful.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by deesdee: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2016
Drawing catoon of The Prophet is a Pure Mockery of Islam, if there is anything a northerner can sacrifies for his life is his religion. you can come to the North and Enjoy your stay but stay out of trouble by not mocking their religion.
folem:
The next cartoon of Muhammed drawn in Finland & it's attendant riots may prove you wrong if not fataly wrong.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by asha80(m): 11:31am On Oct 17, 2016
wiseoneking:
You must be an igbo woman from imo state. They have strong attraction to islam and hausa men. 80% of igbo women married to hausas are imo women, and it is almost impossible for Anambra women. I have lived and worked in Zamfara for several years and i have live in different local govt like in Anka, kaura nomoda, bukkuyum though i was based in Gusau. I think i know the people more than you. Yes, Zamfara/ sokoto states are the most peaceful states in the core north but you cannot denied that they see you worst than a beast. You are just a Kafir that is not Worthy to live amongs them. i quite agree a lot with some of the things you wrote may not be lie but the truth you may be denying your self is that you are dangerously hated because you are a christian. You really have not seen anything. The NCCF Christian corpers lodge in Gusau is a master piece and it is the best in the country. They have been trying to pull it down since it was built. Churches were burnt just 6 yrs ago. In thesame place, christians worship with soldiers guarding them. I hope you saw what happened in Talata mafara few months ago. Thank God you were not in Gusau btw mid nineties and during Abiola's saga, you may not be saying this. Been igbo in Zamfara is a big thing because igbo is the life line of the capital city seeing virtually all the biz activities like large shopping super markets Stores, big pharceutical and private hospitals, several hotels, private primary schools etc are in the hands of the igbos. They know that touching christians are like touching the igbos which impact negatively on the dev of that state. You may even know the history that more than 70% flee from Zamfara state when the muslims threaten to eliminate them during Abiola crisis and never returned. Igbo used to be more than what you see. I think you are a potential Hajia who can make a good wife of an Alhaji. Thats how it starts but be very careful.
your first 3 statements are nonsensical

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by drealaz24(m): 11:38am On Oct 17, 2016
infact, u don't need to go to north to see their honesty and generosity. just go and buy ordinary pepper from a northerner (@boki)
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Pchidexy(m): 11:47am On Oct 17, 2016
supersaz66:

I'm staying in Niger state and I don't dress like them I don't go to mosque. I'm a Christian and we live peacefully

Niger state is not like your core northern states. It has 30 percent indigenous christians.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by mikolo80: 1:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
WinningSun:

when you know blasphemy is a ''crime '' in the North why do you commit it and expect to go rant free.
When in Rome......

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by wiseoneking: 1:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
asha80:
your first 3 statements are nonsensical
It pained you again? NO APOLOGY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"Any Lady Wearing NYSC Khaki Trouser Has Committed An Offence Before God" - Man / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Stay In Family House During NYSC / How To Successfully Process Your NYSC Redeployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.