Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... (1587 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / The Issue Of Witches/wizards/and Emere That You Did Not Know About / Can A Christian Engage In Money Lending Business ( Usury) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by exu(m): 3:49pm On Nov 30, 2005
and what the bible says about it?

just curious?

usury (and subsequently poverty) causes more damage to mankind and society than a lot of the other so called "issues" that religious groups like to make a fuss about...

so, any thoughts?
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by prettyH(f): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2005
First whats usuary?
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by exu(m): 4:27pm On Nov 30, 2005
the word usury is sometimes used to describe the selling of money as a commodity...

but it usually means (or the dictionary definition) of the word is:

An excessive or illegally high rate of interest charged on borrowed money.

the old dictionary defniniton:

Interest charged or paid on a loan
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by prettyH(f): 4:33pm On Nov 30, 2005
oh okay.. so its like cheating of some sorts.
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by RhodaRose(f): 2:18am On Dec 01, 2005
exu,

Plain and simple, why do they do anything they do? ...they don't listen to or obey God.

They are more interested in obtaining temporal worldly goods then Eternal Heavenly Rewards.

They are greedy and self-centered, not God centered.

Right now in the world we have no "middle class" anymore just the rich and poverty level.

The rich are working to even get rid of the poverty level just leaving them, One World Order.

Don't be surprised it was all predicted in the Bible and it will come to pass.

RhodaRose
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by nicetohave(m): 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2005
The world indeed has ignored the warning against usury but certainly not the church, when the one world order or currency will take effect, the church i believe, will have been taken out of this world
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by muhsin(m): 1:28pm On Feb 05, 2010
@All true Christians,

Any answer to this OP, please?
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by AbuZola3(m): 1:34pm On Feb 05, 2010
@op- the christians decided what part of the bible to choose and neglect. Therefore is not a big deal if they dump usury
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by Joagbaje(m): 4:21pm On Feb 05, 2010
Usury simply refer to banking system. Loans and interest. It was against Gods will for Israelites to lend out money with interest to one another. but they were allowed to lend with interest(usury) to strangers

Deut. 23:20
Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

. It Also refer to putting your money in the bank to yield interest. Jesus refers to it as a managable last resort investment.In the parable of the talents Jesus said instead of keeping the money idle, it should have been invested in the bank.

Luke 19:23
Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by Annunaki(m): 5:31pm On Feb 05, 2010
@post
because christians are not under the bondage of jewish laws the mohammedans copied tongue
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2010
interesting how the OP refused to quote any bible verse because of course we all know where he's going.
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by AbuZola3(m): 6:32pm On Feb 05, 2010
@amunaki- right on spot, i already said it, christianity is all about choosing. What a religion
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by Annunaki(m): 6:41pm On Feb 05, 2010
And islam is all about living in bondage both here on earth and in the after life tongue
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by AbuZola3(m): 7:34pm On Feb 05, 2010
Muslim obey God's rule without debunking or rejecting some unlike amunaki and his christ members
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by muhsin(m): 11:24am On Feb 06, 2010
tpia.:

interesting how the OP refused to quote any bible verse because of course we all know where he's going.

Where is that? Don't just reach that conclusion. . .

Joagbaje:

Usury simply refer to banking system. Loans and interest. It was against Gods will for Israelites to lend out money with interest to one another. but they were allowed to lend with interest(usury) to strangers

Deut. 23:20
Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

. It Also refer to putting your money in the bank to yield interest. Jesus refers to it as a managable last resort investment.In the parable of the talents Jesus said instead of keeping the money idle, it should have been invested in the bank.

Luke 19:23
Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?

I quite don't get your point there: is it good or bad/wrong accepting and/or giving usury according to Christianity? Thanks
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by Joagbaje(m): 6:02am On Feb 07, 2010
muhsin:

Where is that? Don't just reach that conclusion. . .

I quite don't get your point there: is it good or bad/wrong accepting and/or giving usury according to Christianity? Thanks

Well, The OP didnt ask that he only asked for comment. But if youre asking me if its good or bad, YES and NO. God is against laying heavy burden on his children expecially heavy interest. We can say our present kind of banking that will make people labour in pain to pay back is a form of enslavement. God doesnt want anybody to take advantage of another. But Jesus did not condemn it, But he gave an impression ,its not the best way to turn over money but the worst kind of investment. It was like saying " if youre so lazy to do business with this money, instead of burying it, why not give it to bankers to use for trade, so i could have interest.
Re: why did the church (and christians) choose to ignore the issue of usury... by AbuZola3(m): 12:37pm On Feb 07, 2010
Lol

(1) (Reply)

A Shout Out To All Nairaland Atheists / 200 Pastors Quit Winners Chapel / After Hell Fire The Next Worse Thing Is Bad Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.