Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden (4477 Views)

My Tomato Production Process / My Tomato Garden / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 11:08am On Oct 16, 2016
I am going to do a little experimental farming on the remainder of a parcel of land that i planted some beds of waterleaf earlier. i intend to plant tomato and pepper and wish to make others gain from my experience
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 11:34am On Oct 16, 2016
Some will complain about this long story #onelove .Before i get into the actual project. Let me use this medium to thank whoever it is that brought my lazy a## to agriculture section. You can imagine where an average youth below 24 will be doing with his or her time. But i got lucky when i articles from jasper, jethro02,organicfoods,kytze among others(abeg no swear for me if i nor mention you o). I told myself that i also had the brain.( no be the same rice and gari we chow to live). I particularly took interest in tomato, cucumber,and pepper and decided to do some more research online, but all i got was the usual 'make 1 million monthly on blah blah farming with my guide. I fit swear for them if no be for this reccession sha.
STORY E HAVE END. my goal is to spend nothing more than N20 per plant till maturity using locally sourced materials for 75% of most of the farming processes from nursery to maturity. can 'we' achieve this? only time and my regular update will tell.(i go dey use tecno java dey snap) ;

2 Likes

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by spyglaxx: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2016
following
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
spyglaxx:
following
abeg bros, u dey call me? cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Opharhe: 8:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
Following:
abeg bros, u dey call me? cheesy
grin Your name sef na following. Me sef I dey call you grin.
Funny guy.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2016
FARM LOCATION: UYO, AKWA IBOM FARM SIZE: A PLOT(CAN'T MEASURE EXACT SIZE FOR NOW) FARM CROP(S): WATER LEAF, TOMATO AND PEPPER NO OF TOMATO/PLANTS: DEPENDENT ON NURSERY GROWTH RATE SEED SOURCE: LOCALLY SOURCED VS ALIEXPRESS VARIETY.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2016
Opharhe:
grin Your name sef na following. Me sef I dey call you grin.
Funny guy.
oga na so we see am o

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
so after waiting for 2 months for some tomato seeds i ordered from aliexpress, i decided on friday 14-10-16 to plant the locally sourced seeds in the bed i made for oyinbo tinx only to be called later in the day to come and pick the oyinbo seeds! e can sabi pain me ehn...the foriegn tomato seeds will be planted 2moro in a new nursery

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 9:15pm On Oct 16, 2016
The pepper nursery is complicated. a lil friend of mine(pri skl pikin) decided to impress me by starting the nursery and i got to know only when i had planted my pepper seeds on the bed. u knw that feeling when u plant pepper seeds and it grows the nxt day only to be told that the germinating pepper was planted a week before yours. #crying. pls bear with me, pics will come later and also i will try to show expenditure so far before the weekend. PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME OF THE PRACTISES IN THIS GARDEN MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR COMMERCIAL FARMING AS THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL AND CARRIED OUT BY A DANGEROUSLY CURIOUS LEARNER

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 11:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
so i had to plant the aliexpress tomato around 7pm this evening b4 man u vs liverpool game, mourinho can kill game...lil shower of blessings abt 3 hours after farming,omo i am counting days... pics will come once any of the tomato germinate
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:06pm On Oct 18, 2016
someone visited my farm and told me that i can't use even 40 per plant counting chemicals to be used,water cost especially during the forthcoming dry season and weeding cost. I WANT TO PROVE HIM WRONG...i have never felt so challenged and motivated in a long time,can't wait for 2mao

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:18pm On Oct 18, 2016
EXPENDITURE SO FAR cost of local tomato seeds=N200 cost of aliexpress variety=N565 manure for nursery bed 1/2 bag@N100 labour@ self (can't price) total cost(up till nursery stage)=N865 cost of pepper seeds@N70 manure1/4 bag@N50 labour@self total cost for nursery=N120

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 1:43am On Oct 20, 2016
1-nursery area
2-seed sprout
3-manure brewing
4-small waterleaf going to the market

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 1:45am On Oct 20, 2016
5) the waterleaf garden

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by TAjala: 5:13am On Oct 22, 2016
Following:
Some will complain about this long story #onelove .Before i get into the actual project. Let me use this medium to thank whoever it is that brought my lazy a## to agriculture section. You can imagine where an average youth below 24 will be doing with his or her time. But i got lucky when i articles from jasper07, jethro02,organicfoods,kytze among others(abeg no swear for me if i nor mention you o). I told myself that i also had the brain.( no be the same rice and gari we chow to live). I particularly took interest in tomato, cucumber,and pepper and decided to do some more research online, but all i got was the usual 'make 1 million monthly on blah blah farming with my guide. I fit swear for them if no be for this reccession sha.
STORY E HAVE END. my goal is to spend nothing more than N20 per plant till maturity using locally sourced materials for 75% of most of the farming processes from nursery to maturity. can 'we' achieve this? only time and my regular update will tell.(i go dey use tecno java dey snap) grin

Hi! I totally love this your long story. Thinking of doing the same thing myself but I have no idea how/where to start. Plix epp.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 6:25am On Oct 22, 2016
TAjala:

Hi! I totally love this your long story. Thinking of doing the same thing myself but I have no idea how/where to start. Plix epp.
hope u don't mind this few question.
do you have a small backyard space? is it a trial farm or commercial venture?do you have a source of irrigation nearby?(water no be moi moi o)which part of the country do you stay?
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 6:54am On Oct 22, 2016
let me talk about seeds here
GMO vs HYBRID vs LOCAL VARIETY.
GMO; these are organism which have their genes altered by core scientific methods of injecting dna of same or foriegn species e.g injecting the dna of sea weeds that enable them to survive in water to a tomato specie to give it that advantage(following 2016) grin .i gathered that it is a highly questionable method due to fears of its health implications. though substancial evidence is limited as to its health implication as it take many years for conclusive research to be carried out.
HYBRIDS: these are plants that are a crossbreed of two or more species to derive a desirable trait or feature. its looks simpler than it actually sounds. a simple example in my sec agric ;aglm vs afmt,the desirable trait needed are aglt where a=size,g=quantity,l=disease resistance,t=time to maturity. when this seeds are planted in their first year,this trait will be highly evident but will rapidly fade away when seeds are planted again as aglt vs aglt may give thousands

1 Like

Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 7:14am On Oct 22, 2016
of varieties such as aggt,aagl etc. so they have to be painstakingly manually crossed by experts NOTE:DON'T PLANT HYBRID SEEDS MORE THAN ONCE AS MONEY SAVED MAY BE LESSER THAN LOSSES IN FARM YIELD( i am only doing this because it is mainly for self education and self research and not mainly for profit(if i see money,i go close eye?), (Oga soloxam and seedworld no be mumu to dey sell and plant company seeds every year.only buy company seeds for commercial hybrid farming,you are doing only yourself good@ advice from your underage brother and son. I should charge for this as this is promoting them).
Local variety: this are the seeds that most local farmers use. It works for them, but may not be advisable for your greehouse farms and efficient commercial venture. na only sec skl agric i dey read o. make pro help add one or two tips cc @ all the veg oga and madam.
By the way who has an idea of how much waterhose of 25metre cost
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
i have started work on some beneficial microorganism using cassava(futa research) and coconut(microderma spp)...hope it works out,will explain later
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 25, 2016
Following:
so after waiting for 2 months for some tomato seeds i ordered from aliexpress, i decided on friday 14-10-16 to plant the locally sourced seeds in the bed i made for oyinbo tinx only to be called later in the day to come and pick the oyinbo seeds! e can sabi pain me ehn...the foriegn tomato seeds will be planted 2moro in a new nursery
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 25, 2016
Following:

How much did you get the tomato seed
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2016
Hipsofagoddess:

How much did you get the tomato seed
N565 but germination rate is f**king low and nt advisable if u are nt close to lagos or better buy from a reputable seed seller
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 25, 2016
Following:
N565 but germination rate is f**king low and nt advisable if u are nt close to lagos or better buy from a reputable seed seller

565 for how many seeds and do you know of any reputable seed seller?
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by TAjala: 8:03am On Oct 30, 2016
Following:
hope u don't mind this few question.
do you have a small backyard space? is it a trial farm or commercial venture?do you have a source of irrigation nearby?(water no be moi moi o)which part of the country do you stay?
The idea is still in the works. Was hoping to buy land and start work on it. I guess it'll be trial until it produces enough to become commercial. I believe a bore hole will be efficient since the area will solely be used for farming.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Neduzze5(m): 1:40pm On Oct 31, 2016
Nice one bro... Wish you better days ahead.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Ademat7(m): 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2016
Following:
i have started work on some beneficial microorganism using cassava(futa research) and coconut(microderma spp)...hope it works out,will explain later
Awaiting details
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:07pm On Oct 31, 2016
Hipsofagoddess:

565 for how many seeds and do you know of any reputable seed seller?
can only recommend soloxam of technisem and seedworld.i have asked people who have done biz with them and the response is encouraging
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:12pm On Oct 31, 2016
Neduzze5:
Nice one bro... Wish you better days ahead.
thank you sir. hope the snail z doing well and our long forgotten watermelon farm z still thriving
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:21pm On Oct 31, 2016
TAjala:

The idea is still in the works. Was hoping to buy land and start work on it. I guess it'll be trial until it produces enough to become commercial. I believe a bore hole will be efficient since the area will solely be used for farming.
i would strongly recommend u find someone in your area that is already doing well so you won't have sad stories to share.don't invest too much until you have a firm footing. i have to learn on my own over the next one year period because tomato farmers are hard to find around me.
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 10:42pm On Oct 31, 2016
Ademat7:

Awaiting details
i lost the coconut to some suspected vandals(NTA and big grammar) e be like sey na squirrel
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Following(m): 7:35pm On Nov 01, 2016
so i was planning to make beds for my tomato/pepper, but nature has a way of working. i'm having some health concerns. hoping to resume work b4 weekend.mom is taking care of the waterleaf this days because it needs some work.
aliexpress tomato has not shown any sign for some days now.i guess seeds are dead
Re: My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden by Gric: 9:47pm On Nov 01, 2016
Following:
so i was planning to make beds for my tomato/pepper, but nature has a way of working. i'm having some health concerns. hoping to resume work b4 weekend.mom is taking care of the waterleaf this days because it needs some work.
aliexpress tomato has not shown any sign for some days now.i guess seeds are dead
Get well soon boss..been a bit busy that I couldn't live up to the visit, Bt I shall come next week. mbok, ope no b d tomato u promised me dey kick bucket so o cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Current Price Of 25litres Of Palm Oil In Kano State needed. / Please Where Can I Get Maize/grain Dryer / The 13 Great Reasons To Have Your Farm In Ogbomosho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.