Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Nigerian Atheist: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Atheist: (2178 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Atheist Cowards? / Nigerian Atheist, Carl Maobi, Kidnapped / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Atheist: by Ahmadgani(m): 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
Can a nigerian atheist become a president, governor or even a legislator? If yes, how can he or she be sworn into office putting into consideration the procedure of swearing in of public office holders in nigeria. They are meant to carry the bible or the quran while swearing.

How do nigerian atheist say the national pledge and the second stanza of the national anthem?

"SO HELP ME GOD" "OH GOD OF CREATION"

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by NZAGHA(f): 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
Waiting for them to come and twist it grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Topestbilly(m): 6:07pm On Oct 16, 2016
Mr Seun your attention is needed sir.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 6:15pm On Oct 16, 2016
He/she takes an affirmation, same as how an atheist/non-Christian should swear into court.

Simple, they would say "I solemnly swear that I will fully uphold the laws of this nation" But if they MUST swear on something, why not the Constitution of that country? That would mean a hell of a lot more to me then swearing on the Bible would.

but its gonna be a long time before an outspoken atheist would contest and win a political post

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by jmichlins(m): 6:16pm On Oct 16, 2016
an atheist God is his mind so your arguement is flawed
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2016
It's quite easy.

First off, let's start with Karl Marx who opine that "Religion is the opium of the masses". Meaning Religion is the therapy of last resort the masses succumb to in order to alleviate the pains of their oppressors which happens to be the corrupt government.

Also, this means the masses knows nothing but religion as their last resort for hope.

For instance, when a Nigerian complains about the government and corruption, they would end by saying, "God will help us". This was what Karl Marx meant.

So back to your question op.

Every intelligent Atheist aspiring to be president would for political reason pick up a religion atleast, the popular one the masses believes in, just so he clinches political success and when he does, swearing in shouldn't be a problem because he's under pretense and don't really believe in God.

For example:- Barrack Obama is a closeted Atheist but political Christian, He was raised in an Atheist home but if had been an open Athiest to the America people, Christians wouldn't have voted him in.

Another person is the man of the moment, President Rodrigo Duerte of the Philippines.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Ahmadgani(m): 6:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
He/she takes an affirmation, same as how an atheist/non-Christian should swear into court.

Simple, they would say "I solemnly swear that I will fully uphold the laws of this nation" But if they MUST swear on something, why not the Constitution of that country? That would mean a hell of a lot more to me then swearing on the Bible would.

but its gonna be a long time before an outspoken atheist would contest and win a political post
i can die just to prove that you copied and pasted this from an american forum. Grow up! america is not nigeria. Think of something else
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 6:20pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ahmadgani:
i can die just to prove that you copied and pasted this from an american forum. Grow up! america is not nigeria. Think of something else

did I deny that?

the last paragraph actually shows its impossible for a sworn atheist to contest and win an election

or you think its possible?
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by NZAGHA(f): 6:23pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

it cannnot, it can never and won't happen... No be for this naija undecided angry
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
NZAGHA:

it cannnot, it can never and won't happen... No be for this naija undecided angry

I fully agree with this

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Ahmadgani(m): 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

did I deny that?

the last paragraph actually shows its impossible for a sworn atheist to contest and win an election

Is there anything that iimpossible? If monkey can evolve into human then everythin is imposible
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 6:27pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ahmadgani:

Is there anything that iimpossible? If monkey can evolve into human then everythin is imposible

no sworn atheist would even dare contest without his PR quickly circulating conversion stories first; he'll pick one religion or the other

okay, humor me a bit

how does a Sango or Amadioha worshipper swear in?
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Ranchhoddas: 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
It is not yet possible in America.
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Seun(m): 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ahmadgani:
Can a nigerian atheist become a president, governor or even a legislator?
An atheist can become a state legislator or governor of a multi-religious state. In multi-religious states, people might prefer to vote for an atheist than to vote for someone who follows the other religion. But the atheist might have to pretend to be a deist. "I believe in God but I don't follow organized religion because my faith is personal". Religious people believe that you can't be a good person unless you believe in a God who will judge your actions after death. It would take a very long marketing campaign to convince lots of voters that this is not so.

How do nigerian atheist say the national pledge and the second stanza of the national anthem?
We can just drop or change the words we object to. E.g. saying "So help me God" or "Oh God of creation Principles Of Truth" instead.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by DeSepiero(m): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ahmadgani:
Can a nigerian atheist become a president, governor or even a legislator? If yes, how can he or she be sworn into office putting into consideration the procedure of swearing in of public office holders in nigeria. They are meant to carry the bible or the quran while swearing.

If he swears by God will God smite him dead?
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
The post is inconsequential, an atheist can say "so help me God", nothing to it, God is just a word. All the corrupt politicians that have sworn by him, are they not still alive? are they not still stealing? If a Christian can swear by God and still sin with no shaking, then what is the swearing really for, its just all for show. But no outspoken atheist will ever hold public office in nigeria, not yet anyway. Too Mich religion and illiteracy. They would think the atheist is the anti Christ completely forgetting the very theist politicians that have robbed us into the ground. Any atheist that wants to run for office will pretend to be theist, and will swear by God, its simply a required sentence.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 16, 2016
DeSepiero:

If he swears by God will God smite him dead?
I assure you nothing will happen because God does not exist. Don't people still lie in court after swearing on the religious books, where is the smithing, don't corrupt politicians swear before holding office. No be them dey thief like say money dey sour.
SMITHE

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by DeSepiero(m): 8:10pm On Oct 16, 2016
Lennycool:

I assure you nothing will happen because God does not exist. Don't people still lie in court after swearing on the religious books, where is the smithing, don't corrupt politicians swear before holding office. No be them dey thief like say money dey sour.
SMITHE

Exactly, that's the point. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Seun(m): 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
Lennycool:
The post is inconsequential, an atheist can say "so help me God", nothing to it, God is just a word.
Yes, absolutely.

But no outspoken atheist will ever hold public office in nigeria, not yet anyway. Too much religion and illiteracy. They would think the atheist is the anti Christ completely forgetting the very theist politicians that have robbed us into the ground. Any atheist that wants to run for office will pretend to be theist, and will swear by God, its simply a required sentence.
Do you think Tai Solarin could have won an election? (He was widely respected, despite being very outspoken, due to his exemplary lifestyle.)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by felixomor: 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

did I deny that?

Hmmmm, they don catch u again for here!

Hian. shocked
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Ahmadgani(m): 9:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
Lennycool:
The post is inconsequential, an atheist can say "so help me God", nothing to it, God is just a word. All the corrupt politicians that have sworn by him, are they not still alive? are they not still stealing? If a Christian can swear by God and still sin with no shaking, then what is the swearing really for, its just all for show. But no outspoken atheist will ever hold public office in nigeria, not yet anyway. Too Mich religion and illiteracy. They would think the atheist is the anti Christ completely forgetting the very theist politicians that have robbed us into the ground. Any atheist that wants to run for office will pretend to be theist, and will swear by God, its simply a required sentence.
bt as an atheist pretending, to the extent of using God name to achieve your aims shows how helpless you are sometimes. you have to use God's name sometimes to actualize your dreams.

be it pretense or what ever you might call it, it all summed up that you still need God indirectly though.
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 16, 2016
Seun:
Yes, absolutely.

Do you think Tai Solarin could have won an election? (He was widely respected, despite being very outspoken, due to his exemplary lifestyle.)
Did Tai Solarin hold office?
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
we can never become such(president,politician etc) ,thats why we fight for our rights,just the same way most people believe in god is the same way i disbelieve in god ,so why shouldn't i be free to do my own thing
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Seun(m): 10:02pm On Oct 16, 2016
Lennycool:

Did Tai Solarin hold office?
He was selected to be the first Chairman of the people's bank, but as far as I know, he never ran for office. He was primarily an educator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
Seun:
He was selected to be the first Chairman of the people's bank, but as far as I know, he never ran for office. He was primarily an educator.
and a social crusader
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 16, 2016
Seun:
But with the state of nigeria today, it would be hard for an open atheist to hold office in any significant position, especially if he is facing opposition from another person, cause all the person has to do is remind everyone at every chance that you're an atheist. Nigeria is just too religious, it be hard but not impossible.
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Ahmadgani(m): 6:11am On Oct 17, 2016
it is possible when the Armageddon befalls
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Seun:

An atheist can become a state legislator or governor of a multi-religious state. In multi-religious states, people might prefer to vote for an atheist than to vote for someone who follows the other religion. But the atheist might have to pretend to be a deist. "I believe in God but I don't follow organized religion because my faith is personal". Religious people believe that you can't be a good person unless you believe in a God who will judge your actions after death. It would take a very long marketing campaign to convince lots of voters that this is not so.

We can just drop or change the words we object to. E.g. saying "So help me God" or "Oh God of creation Principles Of Truth" instead.

Exactly what Adolf Hitler did as the DEMOPUBLICAN he was and an Atheist but he pretended first to be a Christian so as to sway germans but when he came in he revealed his true self. So Atheists and deception are 5 and 6 same way even you are doing here Seun with the Islamic section and using Christians to drive traffic so as to line your pockets with silver.

#gooddeception wink wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Atheist: by Edenoscar(m): 7:39am On Oct 17, 2016
Imagine americans voting richard dawkins as president
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by raphieMontella: 8:47am On Oct 17, 2016
4everGod:

Exactly what Adolf Hitler did as the DEMOPUBLICAN he was and an Atheist but he pretended first to be a Christian so as to sway germans but when he came in he revealed his true self. So Atheists and deception are 5 and 6 same way even you are doing here Seun with the Islamic section and using Christians to drive traffic so as to line your pockets with silver.

#gooddeception wink wink
yes..and an atheist would also stamp out atheism and atheists in his country too...
Deception finalized....
Re: Nigerian Atheist: by hopefulLandlord: 9:06am On Oct 17, 2016
raphieMontella:

yes..and an atheist would also stamp out atheism and atheists in his country too...
Deception finalized....

lol

these guys never stop their mission of wishing Hitler were atheist

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Roman Catholic And Protestant Confessions About Sunday / A Woman Possessed With An Evil Spirit Of Dog Set Free / PHOTO: Born Again Christian Gets Jesus Christ Tattoo Design On His Back.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.