Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone (23029 Views)

All Of Xiaomi’s 2020 Phones Over N103,000 (CNY2,000) To Support 5G / Apple May Face Criminal Charges In France Over Iphone Slowdown / Why Do You Prefer Other Phones Over Tecno? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Allergic(m): 8:41am On Oct 18, 2016
cassidy1996:
Andriod rocks......Iphone is overated. Niger mentality, they believe expensive things are the best...

LOL, an iPhone is never overrated. If you have used an iPhone before and you make this statement, then I'll strike an argument with you.

I can list countless reasons why an iPhone is far superior to any android.

iPhone is just so refined ....
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by sarutobie(m): 8:43am On Oct 18, 2016
Ignyte:
OP didn't say the most important sef.

Android Supersedes all others because it is an 'Open-source' OS.

this right here...what one can do on an android platform is simply limitless..you can tweak virtually everything on your android os ..from custom ROMs to the CPU cores.. I will get easily bored doing the same routine everyday on a phone..that being said, I like the 'uniqueness' of iPhones.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by delivryboy: 8:44am On Oct 18, 2016
whitebeard:
understand what this article is about..it talking about why "most" Nigerians use android..not why few Nigerians buy iPhone...I can buy iPhone..but the phone is expensive to maintain..Buy iPhone and u dont have money to maintain u will be forced to abandon it...!! I can't be spending valuable money on phone when I know there is another product out there that can beat it...!!

What do you mean by "maintain"? Do you change engine oil, air filter or radiator coolant? There is nothing to maintain in IPhone, same cost of making calls, same cost of data for your internet.

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Whiteey: 8:50am On Oct 18, 2016
For me....NOKIA 3310 FOR LIFE....!
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ollah2: 8:53am On Oct 18, 2016
ayaside:
IPhone is a wonderful product. I don't just like anything iPhone not because I can't afford but just don't fancy the product. Yet,I am a big fan of Samsung until recently though.

What went wrong?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ollah2: 8:54am On Oct 18, 2016
desty4nl:
I naturally hated iphone ever since the owner came out boldly to say that the greatest gift God gave him is to be a gay. What an insult to God's divine creativity. Was God foolish to create Adam and Eve from day one?

Tim Cook is just the CEO and not the owner.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by oxygen004: 9:07am On Oct 18, 2016
I don't just like that name apple and the fact that is a united state made phone makes me hate it more..... Android all the way, thank God blackberry have joined the race
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by iwadobo: 9:07am On Oct 18, 2016
tahoe:
I think it is because of only one reason which is the price.

if you get money you no go buy

You might be a very poor dude. I have an iPhone 6 and a samsug galaxy note 5, and I can tell you iPhone is useless. It hangs like there is no tomorrow. Open some sites that take much resources and watch it being flaky. Then open up to 20 of the same sites on your older android phone and you won't even notice anything. Iphones are just too overrated . As for me, iPhone is just good for taking pix, playing music and maybe play some games. But if you need your phone for work, just get yourself a good Samsung galaxy phone with at least 3gb of ram and you won't miss your PC . iOS is just like the old bb OS. The only advantage iPhone has is that Apple is rich and can afford to put in some good hardware, otherwise, the old bb would have been better .
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by chimajii: 9:10am On Oct 18, 2016
grin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by iwadobo: 9:19am On Oct 18, 2016
Allergic:

LOL, an iPhone is never overrated. If you have used an iPhone before and you make this statement, then I'll strike an argument with you.

As a person who has both an iPhone 6 and a galaxy note 5, I can say, categorically, that iPhone is just too overrated. It hangs like the old bb phone . If not for the somehow hood hardware apple employs, iphone would have been worse than the old bb. I only use my iPhone for making and receiving calls . The screen is sub par compared to what I have on my note 5 . The browser on note 5 behaves better than that on the iPhone which becomes flaky when handling site consuming much resources . The WiFi hotspot is a joke . There was a day I plugged my iPhone in the shop and I was outside with my note 5, when I wanted to attend to customers, I discovered my phone was not connected, I checked my WiFi, it was on, and when I got inside the shop, the phone was reconnected . Just imagine , for a distance not up to 5meters . My small chinko phone was left in the car outside my gate and it was still connected to my phone when I was in the room.

To use your hotspot in iPhone , you need to swithc on your Bluetooth and WiFi . What a wack product !

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Abee79(m): 9:33am On Oct 18, 2016
#teamandriodforlife cool
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Revolva(m): 9:38am On Oct 18, 2016
shocked shocked co iphone is hard to maintain......andriod is way cheaper
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by donhils: 9:40am On Oct 18, 2016
Whiteey:
For me....NOKIA 3310 FOR LIFE....!
This Nokia 3310 joke or whatever you ppl think it is is actually becoming very lame , dry and not funny any more. When last did you touch a Nokia 3310?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Sapphiredamsel(f): 9:50am On Oct 18, 2016
No, it's not because of the money, if I can afford a samsung s7 edge, then I can most def afford an iphone.
tahoe:
I think it is because of only one reason which is the price.

if you get money you no go buy
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by LaExpert: 10:07am On Oct 18, 2016
SenatorTobijah:
I still prefer BlackBerry from q10 to classic and now passport. I don't like phones without keypads

BB Classic has keypads, in fact, more keypads than the Q10. undecided
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by villareal15(m): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2016
Mm, lame comments everywhere.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Okaka27(m): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2016
GGclef:

exactly,it all boils down 2 choices..nt poverty in all cases,sometinz wen i look@iphone,i wonder y pple hype it cos i dont really c anythin special in d phone...if i wanna buy a fancy&costly phone..i'll rather go 4 samsung note series or s series specially d "edge types".
android all d way.
ma nigga
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Kjnwancaro: 10:23am On Oct 18, 2016
loooooool.... ease of use really?!? Did you say android is easy to use? How many of you have written a school project before? That's exactly how I feel when I handle an android phone. Everything is scattered, you will have to check the entire phone to find one simple function unlike iPhone I can bet 100% you will get everything before you open one or two menus.

Forget the cost, the obvious reason why Nigerians don't use iPhone is cost because 90% of us use low quality chinese phones but let's talk about the rich people now. I don't think there can be any smarter phone than iPhone you no fit compare Benz to Toyota. RARA
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by sunshineV(f): 10:30am On Oct 18, 2016
iPhone no flexible @all
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by nnokwa042(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2016
BlindAngel:

Bring new iPhone 6 or 7, sell am for me 30k if I buy am make thunder strike me and my family dead. Make I sleep ma nor wake up.
Android ti take over...
LAST BULLET

THUNDER FIRE IPHONE.
so in ur mind ur wise abi? and the people that re buying iphone re stupid abi? Children of nowadays if tear u slap ahh
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 18, 2016
Tinydick:
Maybe ur reasons,,,,my reason of not using be say I no get money
#150k for a mobile device is overpriced.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ayaside(m): 12:17pm On Oct 18, 2016
ollah2:

What went wrong?
Reported cases of exploded phones from them.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by vani86: 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2016
Zceesneh:
kindly hug the transformer

While i do that pls jump of 3rd mainland bridge.

Inbred bastard.

Nairalanders, see the type i am talking about, idiot.s who spend 150 to 200k on an iphone but still enter molue or danfo, not even drop.

Are they sane??
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by jjman2322: 12:25pm On Oct 18, 2016
Guys lets chill out here.. I was an android user(galaxy note series) for many years, and finally switched to iphone 6+

Both phones have their pluses and minuses, it just depends on what youre looking for.. Note I was a heavy android user, my phone was rooted and I changed basically everything. Now let me list both pros and cons for people who want to decide on what to do:

IPHONE ADVANTAGES -

1. It is much simpler to use. It just does what you want it to do. No need to mod anything, i only reboot it when its time for an update.

2. APPLE Services (Itunes, IMusic, ApplePay, APPLE TV, AIR DROP, ICLOUD, CARPLAY, HANDOFF, IMESSAGE, SIRI, etc).

Imusic is incredible. You pay a flat fee a month and you can download/stream ALL the music basically. Im yet to find a song thats not there.
Yes you can find a bootleg app on android to download music but this is not the same. I can create/join playlists for workout, hanging out, etc, its difficult to explain all it can do but you can google it and find out more.

Apple payis nice too. It works well in USA. When you go shopping, etc, you can basically swipe your phone and payment is taken from your card smiley

APPLE TV is amazing. With APPLE TV I can just put a video, music, etc anything on my phone, and it plays on my tv.

AIR DROP is amazing. Let me explain, few weeks ago I was with all my sisters, 3 iphones in the room. We took a lot of pictures the day beforehand. I swiped up on my Iphone, clicked air drop, and added all their phones, and sent the pictures to all of them in super fast speed.

ICLOUD & ICLOUD BACKUP is incredible. Basically remember how for android you have to find apps and backup,restore files, etc, when your phone is bad or need to change phones, Well with ICLOUD i dont have to do anything. Basically if you enable ICLOUD backup on iphone, you can EASILY get a new iphone, sign in, and EVERYTHING is restored on the new iphone. I mean everything, texts, contacts, brightness settings, emails, photos, everything.

I know you can backup on android but I had to find 3rd party apps and it wasnt so straight foward.

CARPLAY - Its basically a feature in many cars built now in USA. Just click the button on the steering wheel and enjoy your iphone media through your car.

HANDOFF - This one is igneous. Lets assume you have an Iphone/IPAD. You can start using your iphone, and "HANDOFF" to the ipad, and drop your phone and what you were doing on your phone will now continue on your IPAD.

IMessage/Facetime - Lets you send texts to everyone with an iphone for free & call/video call for free. Yes whatsapp does almost the same, but whatsapp is a third party app. Imessage/facetime are seamless.. Basically get on iphone, set it up, and we can text each other for free.. Also whatsapp shows when you read messages, etc, IMESSAGE is a lot more customizable and has way more features.

There are many more apple features im not listing here

3. Camera Quality - Iphone has incredible camera quality.

4. Integration - Iphone has connections/docks in basically every new car/hotel room, etc.

5. Status symbol - Iphone is a status symbol. Only the "rich" use iphones. It doesnt mean Iphone is the best phone, it just means its associated with a measure of wealth. Its like comparing a FULLY LOADED TOYOTA vs a FULLY LOADED Mercedes. Both might have exactly the same features, but the Mercedes has a better social standing even if the toyota has more features.

6. Finger print detection - Apple perfected the finger print detection/unlock on the phone. My samsung one wasnt as good at all. Apple owns samsung on this one.

7. Security. Iphone's are damn near impossible to hack. Im running the newest O/S and i can basically lock my phone and throw it away, nobody I mean nobody can open it. Even the FBI struggled to get into an iphone of a terrorist.

8. Design. - Iphone is sleek and nice and looks good to the eye.

9. Siri - Siri is much more better than android equivalents. Here are some things I currently use Siri to do:, Siri opens up GPS locations for me, Siri sets alarms, cancels alarms, Tells me what song is playing in a party or a radio, sends a text to someone, tells me the weather, day, equations, calculations like how many feet is 40 inches, etc.. List is endless. Just think of something cool you want to do or know and SIRI knows. I can say where can i get chinese food - and Siri tells me..

Now lets discuss what I love and miss about android and hate about iphone

1. No Status Light - My samsung had different lights for different notification. Like yellow for missed call, red for unread text, etc.
Iphone has NADA. Its annoying because If i go away for a while and return I have to pick my Iphone to see if i have any missed calls.

2. Customization - Android OWNS Iphone when it comes to customization. I had my samsung vibrating when picked after a missed call. I was able to change the skin of my phone, change battery icon, etc. Iphone sucks in that regard except you jailbreak. My old O/S was jail broken but so far there is no jailbreak for the new OS.

3. Price - Android phones are considerable much cheaper than APPLE. But thats part of the game.

4. Battery life - Iphones have good battery life, but android phones can be made to have insane battery. I was running Juice Defender back then and I was able to customize my android to turn off data, and turn it on every 3 minutes for a few seconds (to grab messages, emails, etc), etc.. Iphone doesnt let you do any of that.. If you know what you're doing with android you could make your phone last 3x more than Iphones..

5. Removable batteries - I like having removable batteries incase Im traveling somewhere, although nowadays new samsung phones are copying apple design. It sucks that once my Iphone battery gets weak I just cant swap the battery. I have to go to an APPLE store to get it down.

6. GOOGLE STORE - The android marketplace is 10000x better than Iphone. There are millions of free apps on android market. Iphone barely has any free apps. iphone apps are also limited by APPLE on what they can do so as not to damage the phone.

This is good and bad. Since google allows anything, I've had android apps completely crash my phone and I had to do a hard reset. This doesnt happen with Iphone as apps cant do a lot.

This is basically what I can remember for now. It all comes down to a matter of preference. Its apples vs oranges. Iphone has some features that ANDROID can only dream of, and vice versa.

Final thoughts: There are some apps out there that can be configured to do a lot of the things Iphone does, but the Point is that these features are already native to the iphone and you dont need apps to do them. Just turn on your phone and go smiley

As for me, I prefer the IPHONE, as it does what I need it to do in a simpler fashion. Also the integration with Ipads & Macbooks is incredible When your iphone rings, and you have a macbook, you an see the incoming call. You can also send/reply/facetime/imessage from your laptop(macbook).

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by vani86: 12:30pm On Oct 18, 2016
Allergic:

I have used iphone 4 and 5s. I sold the 5s and settled for galaxy s5 that i bought in 2014 and still using till today.

If you want to argue let's argue.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by hibee14eve(m): 12:33pm On Oct 18, 2016
What if they tell you the iPhone was tapped? And see all of your browse and I know you viewing your apps And Twitter and Instagram is really like middle man And internet soldiers. With iphone, they r watching you.
Check vividly iphone app store 'logo'. The all seeing eye. We are watching you
U will understand wat I mean.
#teamandroid

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by vani86: 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2016
iwadobo:

As a person who has both an iPhone 6 and a galaxy note 5, I can say, categorically, that iPhone is just too overrated. It hangs like the old bb phone . If not for the somehow hood hardware apple employs, iphone would have been worse than the old bb. I only use my iPhone for making and receiving calls . The screen is sub par compared to what I have on my note 5 . The browser on note 5 behaves better than that on the iPhone which becomes flaky when handling site consuming much resources . The WiFi hotspot is a joke . There was a day I plugged my iPhone in the shop and I was outside with my note 5, when I wanted to attend to customers, I discovered my phone was not connected, I checked my WiFi, it was on, and when I got inside the shop, the phone was reconnected . Just imagine , for a distance not up to 5meters . My small chinko phone was left in the car outside my gate and it was still connected to my phone when I was in the room.

To use your hotspot in iPhone , you need to swithc on your Bluetooth and WiFi . What a wack product !

Dont waste your breath on people that can't think for themselves but follow the crowd and want to belong. They just dont get it.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by Sutherland(m): 1:26pm On Oct 18, 2016
DUAL SIM
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ollah2: 1:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
ayaside:

Reported cases of exploded phones from them.

Note 7 had a manufacturing flaw and it's been discontinued. That shouldn't be a reason to have said that tho cos some companies have also suffered same fate.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ayaside(m): 2:41pm On Oct 18, 2016
ollah2:

Note 7 had a manufacturing flaw and it's been discontinued. That shouldn't be a reason to have said that tho cos some companies have also suffered same fate.
Yeah,quite right.At times,it takes just one lethal mistake to make someone change his/her perception about you.Still like them though but not as before.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ollah2: 3:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
ayaside:

Yeah,quite right.At times,it takes just one lethal mistake to make someone change his/her perception about you.Still like them though but not as before.

Oh well you are right but if everybody does that then we would abstaining from loads of things or perhaps switching manufacturers every other time
Re: 6 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose Android Phones Over Iphone by ayaside(m): 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2016
ollah2:

Oh well you are right but if everybody does that then we would abstaining from loads of things or perhaps switching manufacturers every other time
Nah!Not really. Not getting them new phones don't mean I don't patronise other products they have except newest phones.Most times,I just read previews before I buy a particular device. Just when it comes to latest phones...I am a bit reserved.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Streaming Or Downloading Videos, Most Cheaper?? / 8 Horrifying Moments Smartphones Have Caused The Death Of People / Hacked Netflix App And My Missing Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.