Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

The Five Most Common Career Mistakes - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Five Most Common Career Mistakes (880 Views)

The Five Most Common Interview Questions / Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Five Most Common Career Mistakes by omoISEYIN(m): 9:19am On Oct 18, 2016
As the popular saying goes, 'No gut, No Glory'.

Lots of us wished we made some decisions earlier in our life, but I believe its better late than never.
There are many major decisions to be taken in connection with study options and career choices. Some mistakes will usually regret, but one can also steer away from the most common mistakes by learning from what others have done wrong earlier.

Here are the five most common things they regretted in his career:

1. I wish I had not taken the job just for the money.

By far the biggest source of regret came from those who had chosen high paying, but unsatisfactory careers. Previous research also shows that good salary is no lasting motivator in his career. What was surprising was the feeling of helplessness these people faced.

A banker explained: "I dream about quitting every day, but I have too many financial obligations."

2. I wish I had stopped earlier.

Consistently, wanted those who had quit their jobs to pursue your passion, that they had done it earlier. Uncertainty in the labor market, and the desire for a stable income are two of the reasons why 80% of those who are dissatisfied with their jobs did not stop when they know they should.

A sales consultant stated: "Those years could be used to work with something that actually mattered to me. These years will I never return"

3. I wish I had the courage to start my own business.

As the increase in wages stagnated, said professionals surveyed said they began to yearn for more control over their lives. The logical answer? To be their own boss, instead of being employed in others company.

A recent study showed that 70% of employees wished their current employer would help them to start their own business in the future, but only 15% said they had faith that they actually had what it takes to venture out on their own .
Even Fortune 500 CEO dreamed of freedom as their own boss: "My biggest regret is that I am a entrepreneur. I've never managed to take the plunge and start something from scratch."

4. I ​​wish I had spent my time at school more productively.
Despite high student, it turns out that about 86% is higher education a good investment. Although several higher education than in the past, wanted many of the participants surveyed said they had used their school years to aim for a truly rewarding first job after graduation.

A biologist told about her college experience: "I had the ridiculous rush to complete what in retrospect proved to be the best and most unstructured years of my life."
Having started a family and acquired mortgages, there were many who wanted but could not find room to go back to school to improve career opportunities.

5. I wish I had listened more to your gut.

Several people told of lost career opportunities, and many lost "now-or-never moment." Newer theories in psychology emphasizes the importance of identifying these sometimes unpredictable but potentially rewarding opportunities for change and jump on these opportunities to non-linear advance in their career.

Courtesy: http://indeedbestjobs..no/2016/02/the-five-most-common-career-mistakes.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Railway Corporation / Graduate Trainees Recruitment At AB Microfinance Bank Nigeria Limited / North East Regional Initiative 2017 Recruitment (11 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.