Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? (3395 Views)

What is the difference between sin , iniquity and transgression? / Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. / Difference Between Praying For Forgiveness Of Sin And Repentance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Oct 18, 2016
Why does the Bible use different terms to refer to sin?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by quiverfull(m): 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2016
Interesting question.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by quiverfull(m): 6:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
@Op, I will answer you question with scriptural quotes.
Sin is "falling short" of God's standard.
Iniquity is when your will conflicts with God's will. For instance, concerning Lucifer, he said "I will be like the Most High" and the Bible records that iniquity was found in him and he was kicked out of Heaven.
Transgression however, is going beyond your boundary or the liberty allowed you in God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by oaroloye(m): 7:11pm On Oct 18, 2016
SHALOM!

OLAADEGBU:

Why don't you own a CONCORDANCE?

Read every reference, and learn for yourself?

"SIN" DEFINED.

. 1st JOHN 3:4.

4. Whosoever committeth Sin
Transgresseth also The Law:
for Sin is the Transgression
of The Law.

"INIQUITY" DEFINED.

. NUMBERS 15:27-31.

27. "And if any Soul
Sin through Ignorance,
then he shall bring a she-goat
of the first year for a Sin Offering.
28. "And the Priest shall make
an Atonement for the Soul
that sinneth Ignorantly,
when he Sinneth by Ignorance
before The LORD,
to make an Atonement for him;
and it shall be forgiven him.
29. "Ye shall have One Law
for him that Sinneth by Ignorance,
(both for) him that is born
among the Children of Israel,
and for the Stranger
that sojourneth among you.
30. "But the Soul
that doeth (ought) presumptuously,
(whether he be) born in the land,
or a Stranger,
the same reproacheth The LORD;
and that Soul shall be cut off
from among his people.
31. "Because he hath
despised The Word of The LORD,
and hath broken his Commandment,
that soul shall utterly be cut off;
his Iniquity (shall be) upon him."

INIQUITY IS DELIBERATE SIN.

ATONEMENT does not cover iniquity.

God does not HAVE TO forgive Iniquity.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by Seun(m): 8:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
The words iniquity, sin and transgression are mapped to different hebrew and greek words in different passages by different translators, so this question is largely meaningless. A word translated as iniquity in one passage may be translated as transgression or sin in a different passage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by tosyne2much(m): 8:39pm On Oct 18, 2016
Seun:
The words iniquity, sin and transgression are mapped to different hebrew and greek words in different passages by different translators, so this question is largely meaningless. A word translated as iniquity in one passage may be translated as transgression or sin in a different passage.
Yes you're very right... Various Bible translations use all sort of synonyms to explain a word.. Sir, you haven't replied my mail
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41pm On Oct 18, 2016
quiverfull:

@Op, I will answer you question with scriptural quotes.
Sin is "falling short" of God's standard.
Iniquity is when your will conflicts with God's will. For instance, concerning Lucifer, he said "I will be like the Most High" and the Bible records that iniquity was found in him and he was kicked out of Heaven.
Transgression however, is going beyond your boundary or the liberty allowed you in God.

Way to go! cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by PastorAIO: 9:01am On Oct 19, 2016
They've started again. The inventors of orishirishi doctrines. This time based on a quirk of the Englisn language.

English is full of synonyms due to it's history. Any word can easily be substituted for about 5 or 6 others.

English was original a Germanic language. Then in 1066 the Normans (from France) conquered England and imposed their French and Latin language on the Germanic peoples of England. Although English was still spoken on the streets the language of Court was French.

So many French and Latin words eventually infiltrated the English language, enriching it.

Then the English became traders and started building empires all over the world and everywhere they when they absorbed influences into their language from the people they came into contact with. This added more words.

Then the english became great inventors and explorers. Whenever they invented something or discovered something they would give it a name based on some Ancient greek word or latin word. e.g. Tele Vision. Tele means 'remote' or 'far' in ancient greek.

Also back in the day, the Vikings also invaded England and settled on the eastern coast of England. They too brought their language.

There is no language in this world as rich as English for have so many different words for the same thing.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by PastorAIO: 9:03am On Oct 19, 2016
Correct guy. I see that you've backed up what you are saying with bible passages. I want to see if the OP can produce one bible passage to support the position he is going to proclaim.

oaroloye:
SHALOM!

"SIN" DEFINED.

of The Law.

"INIQUITY" DEFINED.

27. "And if any Soul
Sin through Ignorance,
that sinneth Ignorantly,
before The LORD,
and for the Stranger
30. "But the Soul
or a Stranger,
from among his people.
31. "Because he hath

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52am On Oct 22, 2016
oaroloye:
SHALOM!

"SIN" DEFINED.

of The Law.

"INIQUITY" DEFINED.

27. "And if any Soul
Sin through Ignorance,
that sinneth Ignorantly,
before The LORD,
and for the Stranger
30. "But the Soul
or a Stranger,
from among his people.
31. "Because he hath

What is transgression? Can you explain why God does not have to forgive iniquity? undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by oaroloye(m): 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What is transgression? Can you explain why God does not have to forgive iniquity? undecided

When you ask people to answer simple questions for you,
you destroy your ability to answer them yourself.

Why didn't you READ THE SCRIPTURE?

YAHWEH GOD EXPLAINED RIGHT THERE WHY HE DOES NOT HAVE TO FORGIVE INIQUITIES.

Other readers also bear witness- don't just sit there like deaf-mutes!

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by oaroloye(m): 6:57pm On Oct 22, 2016
Seun:

Why don't you show examples, if that is true?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by jcross19: 8:57pm On Oct 22, 2016
oaroloye:
SHALOM!

"SIN" DEFINED.

of The Law.

"INIQUITY" DEFINED.

27. "And if any Soul
Sin through Ignorance,
that sinneth Ignorantly,
before The LORD,
and for the Stranger
30. "But the Soul
or a Stranger,
from among his people.
31. "Because he hath

that verse you quoted was given to israelites but now there is no sin or iniquity that's not covered by blood of jesus which is the grace but it was only sin against holy spirit that have no forgiveness. Sin is sin . The parable of the prodigal son show us that there is no sin God can't forgive if you ask for forgiveness and renounce the act.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by jnrbayano(m): 9:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
No difference.

Sin is Iniquity and both are transgression.

Synonyms include but not limited to:

Offense
Wrongdoing
Lawbreaking
Trespassing
Malefaction

Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/iniquity-sin-transgression.html
Re: What Is The Difference Between Iniquity, Sin, And Transgression? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/iniquity-sin-transgression.html

Question: "What is the difference between iniquity, sin, and transgression?"

Answer: In Psalm 32:5, the psalmist says, "I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.'" In this one verse, "sin," "iniquity," and "transgression" are all mentioned. Basically, the three words communicate the same idea: evil and lawlessness, as defined by God (see 1 John 3:4). However, upon closer examination, each word also carries a slightly different meaning.

The word sin and its cognates are used 786 times in the New International Version of the Bible. Sin means "to miss the mark." It can refer to doing something against God or against a person (Exodus 10:16), doing the opposite of what is right (Galatians 5:17), doing something that will have negative results (Proverbs 24:33–34), and failing to do something you know is right (James 4:17). In the Old Testament, God even instituted sacrifices for unintentional sins (Numbers 15:27). Sin is the general term for anything that "falls short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Sin leads to a downward progression that, without the restoring power of the Holy Spirit, we all tend toward. The sin nature is present in every human being born since the Fall of Adam (Genesis 3:6–7; Romans 5:12). If left unchecked, continual sin leads to a "reprobate mind," spoken of in Romans 1:24. Our sin nature causes us to gravitate naturally toward selfishness, envy, and pride, even when we are trying to do good. The apostle Paul alluded to his propensity to sin when he wrote, "For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." (Romans 7:18).

The sin nature leads to trespassing. A trespasser is someone who crosses a line or climbs a fence that he should not cross or climb. A trespass may be intentional or unintentional. Trespass can also mean "to fall away after being close beside." Peter trespassed when he denied Jesus (Luke 22:34, 56–62). We all "cross the line" in thought, word, or attitude many times a day and should be quick to forgive others who do the same (Matthew 6:15).

Transgression refers to presumptuous sin. It means "to choose to intentionally disobey; wilful trespassing." Samson intentionally broke his Nazirite vow by touching a dead lion (Numbers 6:1–5; Judges 14:8–9) and allowing his hair to be cut (Judges 16:17); in doing so he was committing a transgression. David was referring to this kind of sin when he wrote, "Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered" (Psalm 32:1). When we knowingly run a stop sign, tell a lie, or blatantly disregard an authority, we are transgressing.

Iniquity is more deeply rooted. Iniquity means "premeditated choice, continuing without repentance." David's sin with Bathsheba that led to the killing of her husband, Uriah, was iniquity (2 Samuel 11:3–4; 2 Samuel 12:9). Micah 2:1 says, "Woe to those who plan iniquity, to those who plot evil on their beds! At morning's light they carry it out because it is in their power to do it." In David's psalm of repentance, he cries out to God, saying, "Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin" (Psalm 51:2).

God forgives iniquity, as He does any type of sin when we repent (Jeremiah 33:8; Hebrews 8:12). However, iniquity left unchecked leads to a state of wilful sin with no fear of God. The build-up of unrepentant sin is sometimes pictured as a "cup of iniquity" being filled to the brim (Revelation 17:4; Genesis 15:16). This often applies to nations who have forsaken God completely. Continued iniquity leads to unnatural affections, which leads to a reprobate mind. Romans 1:28–32 outlines this digression in vivid detail. The sons of Eli are biblical examples of reprobates whom God judged for their iniquities (1 Samuel 3:13–14). Rather than repent, Eli's sons continued in their abominations until repentance was no longer possible.

The biblical writers used different words to refer to sin in its many forms. However, regardless of how depraved a human heart may become, Jesus' death on the cross was sufficient to cover all sin (John 1:29; Romans 5:18). Psalm 32:5, quoted at the beginning of this article, ends with these words: "And you forgave the guilt of my sin." The only sin that God cannot forgive is the final rejection of the Holy Spirit's drawing to repentance—the ultimate fruit of a reprobate mind (Matthew 12:32; Luke 12:10).

(1) (Reply)

Movies And Religion- Part One; The Matrix And Belief In God / Rev Fr Donatus Ogun Is New Bishop Of Uromi Diocese / Top 10 Most Common Atheist Arguments, And Why They Fail So Woefully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.