Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,409 members, 7,861,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana (1031 Views)

Senator Misua Docked, Granted N5m Bail Over N120bn Bribery Allegation Against IG / Okorocha Obtains CCTV Footage Of Wike And Justice Okoro's Illegal Meeting / Umana: "I Didn’t Try To Bribe Justice Okoro, He Lied" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by kahal29: 5:19am On Oct 19, 2016
The attention of Mr Umana Okon Umana, Akwa Ibom APC governorship candidate in the 2015 election has been drawn to a letter purportedly written by Justice Inyang Okoro and addressed to the Honourable Chief Justice of Nigeria. In the said letter, Justice Okoro alleged without evidence that Umana visited his residence (Justice Okoro’s) and made a “request to help him win his appeal before the Supreme Court.”

We would like to respond to Justice Okoro’s baseless allegation as follows:

1) The meeting Justice Okoro is reporting is fiction. No such meeting to discuss how to bribe judges took place between him, Mr Umana Okon Umana and Dr (Pastor) Ebebe Ukpong as alleged.

2) If we assume, without conceding, that such a meeting took place, for a man of Justice Okoro’s standing and knowledge of the law, he ought to have known the legal implications of such a visit, and should have reported it to appropriate authorities immediately. He did not do that, but he is only reacting after the authorities have established a case against him.

3) Justice Okoro’s claim in his purported letter to the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria is therefore not only false, it is diversionary and an afterthought.

4) Justice Okoro should address himself to the facts of the case, which is between him and the State, and leave Umana out of it

5) Contrary to Justice Okoro’s claim, Umana had no appeal before the Supreme Court arising from any court judgment on the 2015 governorship election in Akwa Ibom State. Umana had won at the Court of Appeal and therefore was not and couldn’t have been an appellant at the Supreme Court. Umana had won both at the tribunal and at the Court of Appeal. He was therefore confident of victory at the Supreme Court because of the concurrent judgments of the lower courts.

6) It would be recalled that after the Supreme Court judgment, which ignored the concurrent judgments of both the tribunal and the Court of Appeal, and also totally disregarded the reports of the international observers, including those of the United States Government and the European Union which stated that the elections in Akwa Ibom and Rivers states were marred by widespread violence and irregularities, Umana had issued a statement expressing disappointment at the verdict and said he had moved on and left everything in the hands of God.

He should therefore be left alone.

Signed:
Iboro Otongaran
For: Umana Okon Umana

http://thenigerialawyer.com/judicial-officers-arrest-justice-okoros-baseless-allegation-against-umana/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by kahal29: 5:24am On Oct 19, 2016
Mmmmmh this part got me thinking... ...

5) Contrary to Justice Okoro’s claim, Umana had no appeal before the Supreme Court arising from any court judgment on the 2015 governorship election in Akwa Ibom State. Umana had won at the Court of Appeal and therefore was not and couldn’t have been an appellant at the Supreme Court. Umana had won both at the tribunal and at the Court of Appeal. He was therefore confident of victory at the Supreme Court because of the concurrent judgments of the lower courts.

1 Like

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by remi144(m): 5:26am On Oct 19, 2016
baba umana pls can you kip chort amechi is unpredictable he may have tried to hlp you.NIGERIA av another nightwalker that isn't about eating or tasting blood but to destroy the country..

1 Like

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by odiks: 5:34am On Oct 19, 2016
This Same man that killed justice in Abia State......

https://www.nairaland.com/3397090/justice-john-inyang-okoro-dark

God's judgment has visited him. His letter shows the desperation of a drowning man which to me is an after thought. His end is very near. These stories won't help his case.

2 Likes

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by jaybee3(m): 5:41am On Oct 19, 2016
kahal29:

2) If we assume, without conceding, that such a meeting took place, for a man of Justice Okoro’s standing and knowledge of the law, he ought to have known the legal implications of such a visit, and should have reported it to appropriate authorities immediately. He did not do that, but he is only reacting after the authorities have established a case against him.

http://thenigerialawyer.com/judicial-officers-arrest-justice-okoros-baseless-allegation-against-umana/

Gbam

2 Likes

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by vedaxcool(m): 5:45am On Oct 19, 2016

I have explained to people that feel inclined to believe injustice okoro to ask why he only remembered the bribery attempt after his arrest?

1 Like

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by kahal29: 5:50am On Oct 19, 2016
vedaxcool:

I have explained to people that feel inclined to believe injustice okoro to ask why he only remembered the bribery attempt after his arrest?

That's my thinking too.. .. Furthermore like Inibehe Effiong argued and I quote.. .. [b]

1. I find it rather intriguing that My Lord Justice Okoro did not make a formal report in writing to the CJN over the alleged visits but only reported orally; no public statement was issued and no report was ever made to the security agencies. Does it mean that Justice Okoro and the Hon. CJN considered the alleged visits 'harmless' and proper or as an internal affair which did not require publicity or the intervention of the law enforcement agencies? Why is Justice Okoro saying this now?

2. Justice Okoro in his letter did not disclose the exact date and time that Umana allegedly visited him in his residence. How plausible is the allegation that Dr. Ebebe Ukpong, the pastor who he said led Umana to his house, interjected when Umana mentioned that he would like to see the Justices who would be part of the panel because that was not the purpose for their visit? Did they go there to pray with Justice Okoro or to see how his apartment looks like if indeed they visited him? Justice Okoro did not state the purpose for the visit as disclosed to him by the person who led Umana to his house.

3. What would make anyone in this country to keep cash of USD 38,000 (thirty eight thousand dollars) and N3.5m of legitimate income in his apartment and not in the bank in view of the strict spending inhibitions under the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act and the associated risk of keeping such huge sums at home? Why did My Lord not deposit the money in his bank accounts? We are talking about nearly N20 million Naira being kept at home by no less a public servant but a judicial officer.

4. How does the allegations made against Amaechi and Umana affect the merits of the case of corruption levelled against Justice Okoro by the State Security Service (SSS)? My Lord knows too well that his reference to the duo cannot avail him as a defence in any court of law in Nigeria. Is this not an attempt to divert attention from the allegations of corruption levelled against My Lord by the SSS?

5. What evidence has Justice Okoro presented to prove that indeed Amaechi and Umana visited his residence or should we accept his allegations and believe same simply because he has said so, more so that Amaechi, Umana and Ebebe Ukpong have already denied the allegations?[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by rottennaija(m): 6:02am On Oct 19, 2016
6 days for the thief, 1 day for the owner of the farm
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Eden007(m): 6:04am On Oct 19, 2016
vedaxcool:
As a justice of the Supreme Court, you are not allowed to make press statement, Sue anybody to court or report to the executive arm any sensitive issue without first seeking the approval of the Cjn. If you observe almost all the judges arrested are addressing their grievances to the Cjn not a press statement. Justice okoro started in his letter that he verbally informed the Cjn. That was all he was allowed to do by the ethics guiding the judiciary. Also, have you considered the implications onot the security of the lives of his family considering Apc is in power and they own all security agencies currently. You should be reasonable and logical. There is a video evidence, call log of amaechi and Umana's visit. A supreme Court judge wouldn't throw such toothless allegations he knows the implications of it going to court. Apc started the wrong war. Check my posts I said this thing earlier. I am an insider.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by psucc(m): 6:31am On Oct 19, 2016
We expected denials by all and sundry. The truth remains.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Aufbauh(m): 6:33am On Oct 19, 2016
Eden007:
As a justice of the Supreme Court, you are not allowed to make press statement, Sue anybody to court or report to the executive arm any sensitive issue without first seeking the approval of the Cjn. If you observe almost all the judges arrested are addressing their grievances to the Cjn not a press statement. Justice okoro started in his letter that he verbally informed the Cjn. That was all he was allowed to do by the ethics guiding the judiciary. Also, have you considered the implications onot the security of the lives of his family considering Apc is in power and they own all security agencies currently. You should be reasonable and logical. There is a video evidence, call log of amaechi and Umana's visit. A supreme Court judge wouldn't throw such toothless allegations he knows the implications of it going to court. Apc started the wrong war. Check my posts I said this thing earlier. I am an insider.

Mr Insider keep your inside story to yourself.
Let's assume he made a verbal report to the CJN, what efforts have the CJN make to pursue this grievous allegation against these persons before the hand of the law caught up with those corrupt judges?

Your assertion or presumption does not meet up with morality talk more of legality

4 Likes

Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by TheArchangel(f): 6:37am On Oct 19, 2016
What is all this back and forth?

The question should be....
Umana did you or did you not attempt to bribe the judge? I did not.
Now, my lord, is your turn to show some evidences.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by vedaxcool(m): 7:10am On Oct 19, 2016
[s]
Eden007:
[/s]

Verbally reported an attempt to corrupt the judiciary and pervert the course of justice? Please keep this horseshit for people who care to have some.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Eden007(m): 7:58am On Oct 19, 2016
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Verbally reported an attempt to corrupt the judiciary and pervert the course of justice? Please keep this horseshit for people who care to have some.
I thought by now the dss would have arraigned them in court? For your information the money took from their houses is being processed to be returned. Dss wants to bury this case that is why the judges are speaking up indirectly through letters to cjn. This matter must go to court let Nigerians know who the real corrupt people are. Ameachi and Umana would not know what hit them when video evidences, call logs, and audio exhibits will be displayed in court. A supreme court judge would not make mere accusations without a substantial evidence to back it up.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Kabashin: 8:03am On Oct 19, 2016
Eden007:

Just leave the ediots to stew in their ignorance.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by vedaxcool(m): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2016
Eden007:
I thought by now the dss would have arraigned them in court? For your information the money took from their houses is being processed to be returned. Dss wants to bury this case that is why the judges are speaking up indirectly through letters to cjn. This matter must go to court let Nigerians know who the real corrupt people are. Ameachi and Umana would not know what hit them when video evidences, call logs, and audio exhibits will be displayed in court. A supreme court judge would not make mere accusations without a substantial evidence to back it up.

Sir, this is a real rib cracker, grin grin grin grin grin now Ameachii and Umana are your defense for Okoros corruption? They don't come this low
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Eden007(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2016
vedaxcool:

Sir, this is a real rib cracker, grin grin grin grin grin now Ameachii and Umana are your defense for Okoros corruption? They don't come this low
what are you saying sir? Why haven't dss charge them to court yet? It is almost 2weeks. This is a different case to teach this administration a lesson. When dss goes to court it will be their place to show evidence of corruption then you will get to see my Lordship defense.
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by ehissi(m): 11:31am On Oct 19, 2016
Umana dey talk rubbish.

According to Justice Okoro's letter. He already reported Umana and Ameachi's visit to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, he simply reminded the CJN in that letter what he already discussed before with respect to the alleged visit.

Justice Okoro is also vindicated because he used that visit as a basis disqualifying himself in part-taking in the appeal cases at the level of the tribunal.

The writer of that letter is a stark illiterate. Who represents an authority in matter of Administrative affairs in the Judiciary? The CJN ( who is also chair of the NJC) or DSS and EFCC.

Pastor Ekpeyong should give his own version, let us know what really happened on that day.

For those commenting, I will advise you to go through Justice Okoro's letter in the Nairaland politics section. You will see that he wasn't reporting Umana or Amaechi in that letter. He simply made reference to a report he had already made earlier this year, well before he was even arrested/investigated and suggested that it was possible that they are using DSS to blackmail him because he refused to play ball.

Justice Okoro's case sounds much more plausible than ademola (Okoro didn't resist the search warrant and he asked to contact the Chief Justice of Nigeria while they searched but the seized his phone).

Justice Dimgba too has a strong case, they took Justice Okoro's search warrant to search and arrest Justice Dimgba and when he insisted on a proper search warrant; they simply told him "whatever, they have orders from Abuja to search his house".

Plus Justice Dimgba alleged that they also took the drafts of yet to be delivered Judgements from his house which is a criminal offense of the highest order.

If it can be proven that Buhari approved that operation, that is enough grounds to warrant an impeachment if the Judiciary through the NJC files a complaint at the National assembly. Let's see how this goes.......
Re: Judicial Officers’ Arrest: Justice Okoro’s Baseless Allegation Against Umana by Vatsyayana: 12:30pm On Oct 19, 2016
Eden007:

And the proper procedure for lodging such complaint is orally or casually? Probably at the corridors of the Supreme Court...
Okoro: Hon CJN! Amaechi visited my house last night with respect to 2 of the election tribunal appeals. He wants to win at all cost...
CJN: Really!? Noted!

Is that the kind of thing a Supreme Court Justice should have done?
And I'm surprised he doesn't have a CCTV at the entrance of his house.

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Was Bold To Claim 'he Bought Weapons' Unlike ''anonymous Military Sources' / Bmnth Of Azikiwe And Ojukwu Who Should Be Most Celebrated By Igbos / Now Nigeria Is In Deeper Sshit than ever before... Why are we so dumb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.