Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. (1188 Views)

See The Twitter Reply Used In Passing Strong Msg To GLO / Thread For The Shell Nigeria Applicants / Thread For Gun Lovers: Which Of These Is Your Best [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 9:03am On Oct 19, 2016
Hello guys,

Sometimes I look at things and wonder, do people get things because they want them or because they see others using them?

Well this thread is a collection of different things that are mostly used by Nigerians.

The list / compilation is open to criticism. When you criticize, kindly drop your own suggestion.

1. CARS

The most popular cars in Nigeria are Mercedes, Toyota and Honda.
The Mercedes stands out in the sense that it is the benchmark or "marking scheme" of technology in cars. Most of all the things you see cars having today, Mercedes has been using it long ago. However, it is quite expensive compared to other cars.

The Toyota is a car brand that is the MTN of cars in Nigeria (everywhere you go). Toyota parts are very affordable and easily gotten, hence the reason why most people opt for Toyota products. From the official bank cars to government official cars to busses for public transport to cars for personal use, Toyota is always there.

Honda is another car brand that is common. Almost everywhere you turn to you'll see a Honda product. The only major problem the Honda has is that most times, their front tires always pull off and then leave the car stuck there until a mechanic comes. They are everywhere, but not like Toyota.

Verdict : TOYOTA is most used car in Nigeria.

2. PHONES

When we talk about most used phones, one will be tempted to call almost all the phones around. But taking a critical look at this, you'll agree with me that the most used/popular phones are iPhone, Tecno and Samsung.

One needs not to introduce the iPhone to anyone. IPhone decided to set a standard for themselves but targeting a particular class. The high class. The iPhone is a very good phone but then very expensive. Example is the just released iPhone 7 (money for plot of land cheesy). The cost of the earpiece alone is enough to buy you a very good phone from another brand. The phone is popular but not everywhere.

Tecno is another phone brand that is seen and owned by almost everyone. From the high class, to the middle class to the low income earners, they all have a phone to buy. Example is the launch of their latest phantom series. They launched the phantom 6 and 6+ (called the beauty and the beast) simultaneously. If one feels that N125k is too much to spare for the phone and you must get a phantom, Tecno made their phones affordable so that you can easily get the phantom 6 for just N85k. Anywhere you turn to in your environment, schools, offices, hospitals, park, churches, you'll agree with me that out of 10 people, approximately 5 have a Tecno phone.

Another very popular phone is the Samsung. Samsung really came to own Africa from all angles. From the phones to refrigerator to ACs to television, you'll see them there. Now talking about their phones, Samsung tried to set a standard like the iPhone hence their phones are sleek but also pricey. When you consider their latest released phone, everyone is now staying away from Samsung product for fear of explosion. Though they are popular like the Tecno, their products are not mostly used like the Tecno. However they are mostly used than the iPhone.

Verdict : TECNO is the most used phone in Nigeria

3. MOST POPULAR Word OR PHRASE SPOKEN / CALLED

With the coming of phones to Nigeria, the word HELLO became so rampant that you will never make a call without saying hello. However in the Nigerian setting, there's always a word or phrase that you can never go a day without saying the phrase "HOW FAR"
The phrase "how far" means a lot to Nigerians. How far can mean, how did it go, or what's up with what we discussed, or how are you, what's happening, etc. It just means a lot.

VERDICT : Most popular word/phrase HOW FAR.

4. FOOD

When we talk of food, no doubt everyone will think of rice. Now the question is which is more popular between white rice and jollof rice? That one is debate for another day cos while people will say rice and stew, others will say jollof.

For now lets talk about Soups.

There are various varieties of soups in Nigeria. From egusi (melon), to vegetable soup, to okro soup, to ewedu, to kuka soup, to afang, to white soup. The list is just endless.

However, from the look of things, when you go to occasions where food will be served or restaurant or even boarding schools, there's one soup that you will always find present. EGUSI (melon) soup. This soup has stood the test of time in Nigeria.

Verdict. Most eaten soup is EGUSI (MELON) SOUP.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 9:05am On Oct 19, 2016
5. Drug

When we take of drugs, we don't mean illegal drugs o. We're talking of prescribed drugs. Then you take a statistics of consumed drugs, you'll have no choice but to agree with me that two names take the lead. Funny enough they both pain relievers. Paradox and paracetamol. But the question here is amongst these two, which one is consumed the most? I would have opted to choose paracetamol since it is cheaperthan panadol, but pharmacist should tell us more on the most sought after between the two of them.
Verdict : most drug taken, PARACETAMOL. (open to debate)

6. CURRENCY

When we talk of currency, we're talking of the most circulated currency denomination. Initially it use to be the N20. However when things changed, it became less and less worthy of being used to run daily affair. Before you know it the N100 took over from the N20. Anywhere you turn to, you'll see the N100 note.
Now with the way things are in this country, money is hard to come by. N20 can't do much for you and the N100 is too much to spend anyhow hence the N50 took over officially. Now most offering bags is N50 you'll see. N50 is mostly used as transport fare within the city as N20 or N30 won't help.

Verdict: N50 is the most circulated currency

7. NAMES ON NAIRALAND

When calling names, I mean most mentioned name on Nairaland. First name that will come to people's mind is Seun. Ifa hear say na Seun. A lot of names are being mention on daily basis here for either quarrel, e-war or toasting or even commendation. Example of popular name here is modath, omenka, sarrki, progressive01, hungerbad, smellymouth, mynd44 etc.

However there is one name that once it is called, things begin to happen, threads begin to run to Frontpage, snakes and other slain animals begin to rejoice cos their brutal murder story will be posted to the Frontpage for the world to hear their cry. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls please let's give a standing ovation to the most popular and mentioned name on Nairaland : LALASTICLALA

Verdict : Lalasticlala is the most popular name on NL

Kindly add your own verdicts. If there's anything you don't agree with let's hear it.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by bigseank(m): 9:11am On Oct 19, 2016
Thumbs Up OP......... following passionately.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by MizMyColi(f): 9:13am On Oct 19, 2016
My best kind of swallow is Egusi and Semolina.

My best kind of car (in view) is Range Rover Jeep.

The phone I once detested but have come to love and appreciate is Tecno.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by MizMyColi(f): 9:13am On Oct 19, 2016
But the thing I use most is my Brain cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Iceman296: 10:16am On Oct 19, 2016
LOL,

I go with that of the 50 Naira and Lalasticlala grin grin grin grin grin

Good Job OP, interesting thread..
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by excanny: 10:17am On Oct 19, 2016
I agree with you on the phone part most especially. Because the most affordable android phones in Nigeria has been Tecno. In fact, the first time I saw an android phone was when my friend bought Tecno P5 in 2013 and I was amazed at the affordability. wink
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Abdstrakt(m): 10:27am On Oct 19, 2016
paracetamol stole the show from panadol, Tecno stole Nokia',s shine. Egusi has always been BAE.

Most used word in a market: HOW MUCH

Most mentioned name on Twitter Nigeria: BUHARI

Most: Used word in Lagos traffic: OLOSHI (I thought it meant good morning when I first came to Lagos)

The most used airtime denomination: N100 (country hard)

3 Likes

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 11:18am On Oct 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

Range rover is your best car but we're talking of the most popular.
Talking of food, I think elusive and eba is the most popular combo cheesy

Hmmm, tell us what Tecno has done for you.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by MizMyColi(f): 12:04pm On Oct 19, 2016
Dandsome:

Range rover is your best car but we're talking of the most popular.
Talking of food, I think elusive and eba is the most popular combo cheesy

Hmmm, tell us what Tecno has done for you.

cheesy

Tecno changed my perception.
Applying to real life, I would say that I've learned symbolically from their range of devices not to give up on people especially when they are at their lowest ebb.

1 Like

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by TappGroupNG: 12:08pm On Oct 19, 2016
TECNO is the most used phone in Nigeria
Very true. I even like that they're opening a manufacturing plant here. Their phones have really improved in quality.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by TappGroupNG: 12:27pm On Oct 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

cheesy

Applying to real life, I would say that I've learned symbolically from their range of devices not to give up on people especially when they are at their lowest ebb.
Oshey inspiration. However I'm using their newest range of phone and I must say I'm really impressed. The camera is even as good (or even better) than Iphone.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by TappGroupNG: 12:29pm On Oct 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

You know, I used to hate Tecno before, wonder how they changed my perception over time.

1 Like

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 3:13pm On Oct 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

cheesy

LOL that's very true. I remember some months ago you posted a pix of your office table with that your cute Tecno phone then. What's the name of that phone again? grin
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by MizMyColi(f): 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2016
Dandsome:

LOL that's very true. I remember some months ago you posted a pix of your office table with that your cute Tecno phone then. What's the name of that phone again? grin

W4, you mean? smiley
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2016
MizMyColi:

W4, you mean? smiley

Yes, the phone is cute. Was it made solely for ladies?
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by MizMyColi(f): 5:41pm On Oct 19, 2016
Dandsome:

Yes, the phone is cute. Was it made solely for ladies?

Nope.
I've seen two men who use it.
My boss uses W3
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Nicholas007: 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2016
SUBSIDY
BOKO HARA
INSURGENCE
MILITANT
CHIBOK GIRLS
CHANGE
CORRUPTION
FORGERY
PADDING
DASUKI GATE

OUR GOVERNMENT USE IT ALL
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Rockyrascal(m): 12:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
When I saw drugs on the list,I aleady knew the verdict would be paracetamol grin
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Sulaymanmeek(m): 2:49pm On Oct 20, 2016
Bakarya! No Lie!! I agree completely

Dandsome:
Hello guys,

Sometimes I look at things and wonder, do people get things because they want them or because they see others using them?

Well this thread is a collection of different things that are mostly used by Nigerians.

The list / compilation is open to criticism. When you criticize, kindly drop your own suggestion.

1. CARS

The most popular cars in Nigeria are Mercedes, Toyota and Honda.
The Mercedes stands out in the sense that it is the benchmark or "marking scheme" of technology in cars. Most of all the things you see cars having today, Mercedes has been using it long ago. However, it is quite expensive compared to other cars.

The Toyota is a car brand that is the MTN of cars in Nigeria (everywhere you go). Toyota parts are very affordable and easily gotten, hence the reason why most people opt for Toyota products. From the official bank cars to government official cars to busses for public transport to cars for personal use, Toyota is always there.

Honda is another car brand that is common. Almost everywhere you turn to you'll see a Honda product. The only major problem the Honda has is that most times, their front tires always pull off and then leave the car stuck there until a mechanic comes. They are everywhere, but not like Toyota.

Verdict : TOYOTA is most used car in Nigeria.

2. PHONES

When we talk about most used phones, one will be tempted to call almost all the phones around. But taking a critical look at this, you'll agree with me that the most used/popular phones are iPhone, Tecno and Samsung.

One needs not to introduce the iPhone to anyone. IPhone decided to set a standard for themselves but targeting a particular class. The high class. The iPhone is a very good phone but then very expensive. Example is the just released iPhone 7 (money for plot of land cheesy). The cost of the earpiece alone is enough to buy you a very good phone from another brand. The phone is popular but not everywhere.

Tecno is another phone brand that is seen and owned by almost everyone. From the high class, to the middle class to the low income earners, they all have a phone to buy. Example is the launch of their latest phantom series. They launched the phantom 6 and 6+ (called the beauty and the beast) simultaneously. If one feels that N125k is too much to spare for the phone and you must get a phantom, Tecno made their phones affordable so that you can easily get the phantom 6 for just N85k. Anywhere you turn to in your environment, schools, offices, hospitals, park, churches, you'll agree with me that out of 10 people, approximately 5 have a Tecno phone.

Another very popular phone is the Samsung. Samsung really came to own Africa from all angles. From the phones to refrigerator to ACs to television, you'll see them there. Now talking about their phones, Samsung tried to set a standard like the iPhone hence their phones are sleek but also pricey. When you consider their latest released phone, everyone is now staying away from Samsung product for fear of explosion. Though they are popular like the Tecno, their products are not mostly used like the Tecno. However they are mostly used than the iPhone.

Verdict : TECNO is the most used phone in Nigeria

3. MOST POPULAR Word OR PHRASE SPOKEN / CALLED

With the coming of phones to Nigeria, the word HELLO became so rampant that you will never make a call without saying hello. However in the Nigerian setting, there's always a word or phrase that you can never go a day without saying the phrase "HOW FAR"
The phrase "how far" means a lot to Nigerians. How far can mean, how did it go, or what's up with what we discussed, or how are you, what's happening, etc. It just means a lot.

VERDICT : Most popular word/phrase HOW FAR.

4. FOOD

When we talk of food, no doubt everyone will think of rice. Now the question is which is more popular between white rice and jollof rice? That one is debate for another day cos while people will say rice and stew, others will say jollof.

For now lets talk about Soups.

There are various varieties of soups in Nigeria. From egusi (melon), to vegetable soup, to okro soup, to ewedu, to kuka soup, to afang, to white soup. The list is just endless.

However, from the look of things, when you go to occasions where food will be served or restaurant or even boarding schools, there's one soup that you will always find present. EGUSI (melon) soup. This soup has stood the test of time in Nigeria.

Verdict. Most eaten soup is EGUSI (MELON) SOUP.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Sulaymanmeek(m): 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2016
Make i add small;
Judges
Oil Money

Nicholas007:
SUBSIDY
BOKO HARA
INSURGENCE
MILITANT
CHIBOK GIRLS
CHANGE
CORRUPTION
FORGERY
PADDING
DASUKI GATE

OUR GOVERNMENT USE IT ALL

1 Like

Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dabsey: 2:51pm On Oct 20, 2016
I'm in total agreement with the cars section. True.. everything is just grin grin grin
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dabsey: 2:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
Tecno has been around for over 10 years!!!!! Na them be the origimal Chinco for we Naija!!!

excanny:
I agree with you on the phone part most especially. Because the most affordable android phones in Nigeria has been Tecno. In fact, the first time I saw an android phone was when my friend bought Tecno P5 in 2013 and I was amazed at the affordability. wink
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by ayeeshaapink: 2:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
Lmaooo. The Drug part! Na Paracetamol ooo!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by ayeeshaapink: 2:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
That'll be just Amazing!! More Jobs. and even the phones go dey cheap

TappGroupNG:
TECNO is the most used phone in Nigeria
Very true. I even like that they're opening a manufacturing plant here. Their phones have really improved in quality.
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by Dandsome: 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
Sulaymanmeek:
Bakarya! No Lie!! I agree completely

Which one will you add to the list?
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by kesses: 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
Well to me in the food aspect, bread and beans is one of the best combo in any bukar right now
And for the phone aspect Tecno has won my heart
Re: Thread For "MOST" Things Used In Nigeria. by masseratti: 7:45pm On Oct 20, 2016
Abdstrakt:
paracetamol stole the show from panadol, Tecno stole Nokia',s shine. Egusi has always been BAE.

Most used word in a market: HOW MUCH

Most mentioned name on Twitter Nigeria: BUHARI

Most: Used word in Lagos traffic: OLOSHI (I thought it meant good morning when I first came to Lagos)

The most used airtime denomination: N100 (country hard)

oloshi, that really got me cracking.

(1) (Reply)

The Protest Will Go On As Planned - Eie Nigeria / I Killed The Biggest Scorpion. / Buy Itunes Gift Card Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.