Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (21381 Views)

Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker / My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 19, 2016
Falling in love with a co-worker can have serious implications for your job. (ShutterStock)
Love is unpredictable and it can cause us to act irrational. If you happen to be falling in love with one of your co-workers and start dating, this could have serious repercussions on your professional life.

If you want to have your office romance to have a happy-ever-after ending, you need to seriously consider these 5 basic points first.

(1). Know the company policy

Most companies have policies about dating co-workers. Usually these rules forbid employees to date their boss, but the regulations on office romances differ from company to company. Reasons for prohibiting colleagues to date are in order for the work performance and individual promotions to not be disturbed and to maintain a good office vibe.

When crossing those boundaries, there could be serious consequences. No one wants to choose between their livelihood and their lover, so you better think twice before you decide to start dating a co-worker. Make sure you are fully aware of the consequences your actions may entail, explore your options, and if all else fails; try talking to someone in HR to see what your options are, realistically.                      

(2). Know what you want from the relationship

Since dating co-workers is often a risky affair, clearly state to yourself what you want out of a relationship, both in general and with this specific person. Get to know each other as friends before you decide if this person is worth the risk. A solid relationship needs a solid foundation and people often act different in a professional environments compared to informal settings. If you both know what you want and know each other on a more personal level, it will be more comfortable to enter into a delicate situation like this.

So sleep on it before you decide (pun not intended). Do not rush things, and make sure that your co-worker is single. An office romance is already complicated enough without the emotional and moral problems an affair would bring with it.

(3). Be prepared to maintain boundaries

If office romances are off limits in your company, you need to keep yours low-key. Even when unaware, co-workers will pick up on a change in habits and gossip can spread quickly. Be very careful who you share your secret with and be prepared to maintain serious boundaries at work so your relationship can be kept secret.

Secondly, even when your company approves the dating of co-workers, you still need to maintain some boundaries. Don’t talk about household affairs at work, and vice versa. Try to separate your personal life from your work life as much as possible and make clear agreements on this beforehand. Once public, there will be gossiping about your relationship, so be discrete and keep it low-key to not put extra pressure on each other.

Thirdly, you need to be prepared to always be around your significant other. This can be a serious strain on the relationship so make sure you have independent friendships and hobbies outside of work to not be together 24/7.

(4).Keep your work priorities straight

Make sure you don’t end up losing your job because of who you date. Even worse, the relationship might not last either. And you don’t want to be both an emotional and a financial wreck.

So keep your head in the right place at work. You will have to rely on your own merit for personal growth, so make sure your relation doesn’t have a priority over work or important assignments. Concentrating on your job during office hours will make sure you’ll keep your employer and your colleagues happy, which will result in less pressure on you and your significant other.

(5). Get real about the aftermath

Even when you started dating with the intention of having a happily-ever-after lovestory, things don’t always end up the way they’re supposed to be. Before officially starting to date a colleague, be prepared for the break-up too.

If there is a break-up you don’t want to become messy, it’s this one. You don’t want your work environment to be awkward and uncomfortable (for both you and your co-workers) and you definitely don’t want all the details of your private life spilled at work.

Agree to be as professional as can be, avoid each other when possible but work together when needed. If you want to argue, do it outside office hours, but don’t bring the break-up into the office. That’s why, if things go south, you are way better off dating someone outside of the office, or at least from a completely different department. cheesy cheesy Hey, its Mr. TuCloz cheesy cheesy

http://m.careers24.com/career-advice/work-life/things-to-consider-before-dating-a-co-worker-20161013

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by nony43(m): 6:48am On Oct 20, 2016
How do people do that? dating a colleague or a coursemate even a lodge mate, I raise Beyonce hand for una

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Opistorincos(m): 6:49am On Oct 20, 2016
grin
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by otijah(m): 6:49am On Oct 20, 2016
Ok
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Ayoswit(f): 6:50am On Oct 20, 2016
k
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by emeraldknytt(m): 6:50am On Oct 20, 2016
durocity:
nony43:
T
Opistorincos:
grin
otijah:
Ok
Ayoswit:
k
Land Owners Association of Nairaland, I Hail una o grin

Personally, I believe the level of jealousy of one's boss should come to consideration, cos I don't know how well a temperamental boss is gonna cope seeing an employee with the employee, who has turned down his advances.

That's ma point. Thank you. I leave the rest to the poster below, I think he has more to say, cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by hefelove(m): 6:51am On Oct 20, 2016
me na no deep feelings just benefit parol

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by agwom(m): 6:51am On Oct 20, 2016
ok
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by sirugos(m): 6:52am On Oct 20, 2016
Be prepared to marry each other... And any of you should also be prepared to loose his/her job after marriage. Because no reasonable company will employ husband and wife.

10 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 20, 2016
Dating a co-worker or a colleague has never been my thing. I just don't fancy it.
Would rather date another lady miles away than have an amourousal relationship with a collegue

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by sakalisis(m): 6:52am On Oct 20, 2016
grin
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by spartoo: 6:52am On Oct 20, 2016
Reminds me of the time I dated my classmate in the university. That feeling when you are with som1 you love. We went to school together most times (our lodges were a few meters apart) and came back together, spent the whole day together and repeated the cycle the following day until she left me for a guy in the same faculty cos he had a car.

THIS LIFE CAN BE WICKED

28 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by olasubomi007(m): 6:54am On Oct 20, 2016
cool
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by engrjacuzzi: 6:55am On Oct 20, 2016
this makes sense especially when both are in a well paid coy but certainly not in the banking sector.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by muller101(m): 6:56am On Oct 20, 2016
Bad idea. Can't try such.
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 20, 2016
The guy above me is smart

Consider nothing, just don't do it. Amen!

The guy below me is ............following cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Johnsonpac(m): 6:57am On Oct 20, 2016
Following

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Mznaett: 7:01am On Oct 20, 2016
I just can't try this...no!
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by dsmooth1(m): 7:02am On Oct 20, 2016
don it befor twice... guess its a story of other room on both occasion,,
Wnt encourage sum1 going for a serious relationship to venture into, cos dos ladies end up been JOINT VENTURE for guys in d same office

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by TheOonlyOne: 7:03am On Oct 20, 2016
it could actually work out between the two parties provided the company policy allows it.. Read how to cope with workplace romance on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/284748/cope-workplace-romance
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by MrOlai: 7:04am On Oct 20, 2016
Wrong Title!

The title should be:
"Things to Consider Before Committing Adultery/Fornication with A Co-Worker."

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by tuzeriouz(m): 7:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Crush, one night stand, shun multiple nights stand , shun dating

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Agromuda(m): 7:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Office romance- sweet and risky.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by atirolu(m): 7:05am On Oct 20, 2016
No photo of blacks to show us we are romantic

If it bad news now they use black people image

Bkacklifematter

5 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Rick9(m): 7:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Nice
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by harlee(m): 7:07am On Oct 20, 2016
Makes no sense,so she'd be there where boss scold me

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by ekanDamie: 7:16am On Oct 20, 2016
One of the worst decisions of my life. but pleasurable experiences tho.
even when we broke up number of times, we couldn't stay apart cos we always cross each other's path every now n then. it was hard AF!!!

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by goingape1: 7:26am On Oct 20, 2016
try that shiiit once!
not cool at all not cool!
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Bibiliicious(f): 7:26am On Oct 20, 2016
Dating a co-worker is a bad idea for me... apart from knowing the company's policy, keeping your work priorities straight and all that,

what about space in the relationship? Even in the closest of relationships, each person at times needs space. That is time to be alone, time to just be. Even as a couple, we are still two individuals and to grow as a couple, we must also be permitted to grow as an individual., even while we have a desire to be with each other all the time, we also must understand that there are times when one person or both will need to have time to be alone... Most of your day is spent with the person you dating and that can be bad.

Insecurity; some partners can be so insecure that they will get jealous when you talk freely with someone else or smile at someone.

It also depends on the people in the relationship, it might not work out for you, but it will work out for someone else.

6 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by Ginaz(f): 7:28am On Oct 20, 2016
grin grin
Re: Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker by ezechueze(m): 7:32am On Oct 20, 2016
OK

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Angry Workers Shut Down La Casera / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? / 4 Dream-killer Habits You Should Avoid In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.