Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,102 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) (1462 Views)

What Kind Of Dog Is This? / What Breed Of Dog Is This? / What Breed Of Dog Is This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 12:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
@seun @prodeegee

How can I get over the fear of the dog

I and my fiancé just got a dog. Infact the dog was given to us by his just retired boss(an Indian). He actually had a plan to sell the dog off but his boss said he shouldn't, that the dog is a very special dog. When he was handing over the dog to my fiancé, the family of his boss were crying because of how much they'll miss the little poppy. The poppy is 8months old. Okay the dog arrived and all his family members loved the dog and the dog got used to them so quickly. Most times the dog barks because she was still trying to get used to the people and the new environment.

I closed from work early on a fateful day and branched the family house to see the dog. My fiancé's sister carrying the dog (she is a lap dog and very cute) on seeing her, I started touching and rubbing the dog with excitement bcus of how cute she is, when she was dropped to the ground she became extremely aggressive and started barking at me. I actually thought I was going to get bitten. I became scared and screamed until his sister picked up the dog and locked her up in her cage. That first impression has left me with fear of the dog and it's taking so long to go away. And whenever the dog sees me she always barks and scares me the more.

My fiance later transferred the dog to his apartment just so I'll get used to the dog but I'm trying. It's bringing alot of issues to I am y fiancé, because he expects me to be fearless like him. We've had a heated argument about it
About it but it's not helping matters that Im taking too long to get used to the dog. He said the more the dog gets locked up in a cage the more aggressive the dog will be towards me.

Mind you i love dogs, we used to have a dog (German Shepherd) before he died. But now I see myself liking the naive puppies not this type that scares the hell out of me. I am just being careful of not getting bitten. My fiance is not even helping matters here, the way he wants me to get used to the dog by force it's not going to help, the dog might just bite me. He can just release the dog while I'm in the house without informing me and when I notice I just have to get myself locked up in one of the rooms. Then later he starts getting upset. It's tiring!

I need dog lovers to help me out here because with the way I'm seeing this we might have an unending fight that I might stop visiting him.

Here is the dog in her age when she became aggressive. The problem is whenever she barking from her cage and I get closer she would stop barking but it still hasn't given me the liver to let her out.

Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by nic2wao: 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2016
Cute cuty dog.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Mailthaddeus(m): 1:57pm On Oct 19, 2016
Am scared of dogs too, buh dis one is fine and small. I think I can get along with this one.

I suggest you as ur fiance to release it when everyone is at home including u. That will increase your confidence and take away ur fear, wit time u'll get used to it.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Coldplay007(f): 2:28pm On Oct 19, 2016
it's not barking because it's want to bite you.... what will happen even if it's bite you?
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by nelson7777: 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2016
most times dog barks when they r excited, In all my dogs There is a particular 1 dats barrks extremely loud wen it sees me u will think it wants to kill me bt no she's jst happy to c me, nxt time check her tail wen she's barking if it is shaking, she is jst excited, give her time u r gonna love her. also take dis bold Step,, u will c result in 2 days, always b d bringer of good news, b d 1 to open d cage, b d 1 to bring food n water n treats. dnt b d 1 dats makes Dem lock her wenever u r around.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Seun(m): 5:38pm On Oct 19, 2016
Ask your spouse to put you in charge of feeding the dog. You'll be best friends within a short time. Dogs don't like being touched on the head btw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
Ask your spouse to put you in charge of feeding the dog. You'll be best friends within a short time. Dogs don't like being touched on the head btw
that's wrong.
They like to be touched on the head but not their waist undecided.

You don't know anything about dogs seun tongue

Op, dogs are like human beings. Just be friendly with it, feed(the best way to be their friend) and take it out on a stroll.

You need to know 'Action'(the name of my dog tongue)

1 Like

Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 8:18pm On Oct 19, 2016
MissHatey:
that's wrong.

Op, dogs are like human beings. Just be friendly with it, feed(the best way to be their friend) and take it out on a stroll.

But whenever she's barking at me and I call her name, the barking increases the more. It's not easy.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 8:20pm On Oct 19, 2016
nelson7777:
most times dog barks when they r excited, In all my dogs There is a particular 1 dats barrks extremely loud wen it sees me u will think it wants to kill me bt no she's jst happy to c me, nxt time check her tail wen she's barking if it is shaking, she is jst excited, give her time u r gonna love her. also take dis bold Step,, u will c result in 2 days, always b d bringer of good news, b d 1 to open d cage, b d 1 to bring food n water n treats. dnt b d 1 dats makes Dem lock her wenever u r around.
OK I didn't take note of her tail then. I Pray I'll be able to look out for the tail, bcus when I'm secluded with fear I could barely notice her tail.
Thanks anyway, I'll try that out. I just don't want a bite.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 8:22pm On Oct 19, 2016
Coldplay007:
it's not barking because it's want to bite you.... what will happen even if it's bite you?
My dear I dunno what will happen but all I want is not to get bitten.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2016
Mailthaddeus:
Am scared of dogs too, buh dis one is fine and small. I think I can get along with this one.

I suggest you as ur fiance to release it when everyone is at home including u. That will increase your confidence and take away ur fear, wit time u'll get used to it.
I actually thought of that but the dog might just pick on me cus she'll notice I'm the scared one. It's not easy. I've thought of different ways to get close to the dog but when the time comes that fear would take over.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 8:30pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
On the head really?! Then why do they suddenly become humble(ears down) when one brings out hand to their head?
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Seun(m): 9:08pm On Oct 19, 2016
@HolySteph and MissHatey, please check out this
"Petting a dog's face or patting her head

Do you like to be patted on the head? My guess is no. Having someone reach out and tap us on the head, no matter how lovingly, is not something most of us enjoy. It’s annoying at best and painful at worst. And we really don’t want the hands of strangers reaching toward our face. If someone were to reach their hand toward your face, I’m guessing your reaction would be to pull your head back and lean away, and get a little tense about the invasion of personal space. Yet most humans think that dogs like being patted on the head. The reality is that while many dogs will put up with this if it’s someone they know and trust, most dogs don’t enjoy it. You may notice that even the loving family dog might lean away slightly when you reach for her face to pet her. She’ll let you because you’re the boss, but she doesn't like it. It’s a personal space issue for dogs just as much as it is for us. This is why responsible parents teach their children to gently pet a dog’s back or rear, but don’t pat, and definitely don’t go for the dog's face. If you really want to reward your dog for being awesome, don’t bang on their head, but give them a rub on their rear end right by the tail. They’ll thank you for it!"

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/11-things-humans-do-that-dogs-hate

Most dogs dislike being touched on top of the head and on the muzzle, ears, legs, paws and tail.
http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/how-to-pet-a-dog

HolySteph:
On the head really?! Then why do they suddenly become humble(ears down) when one brings out hand to their head?
I think that's how dogs behave when they are about to be subjected to something they find unpleasant, e.g. flea spray in my dog's case.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:

Do you like to be patted on the head? My guess is no. Having someone reach out and tap us on the head, no matter how lovingly, is not something most of us enjoy. It’s annoying at best and painful at worst. And we really don’t want the hands of strangers reaching toward our face. If someone were to reach their hand toward your face, I’m guessing your reaction would be to pull your head back and lean away, and get a little tense about the invasion of personal space. Yet most humans think that dogs like being patted on the head. The reality is that while many dogs will put up with this if it’s someone they know and trust, most dogs don’t enjoy it. You may notice that even the loving family dog might lean away slightly when you reach for her face to pet her. She’ll let you because you’re the boss, but she doesn't like it. It’s a personal space issue for dogs just as much as it is for us. This is why responsible parents teach their children to gently pet a dog’s back or rear, but don’t pat, and definitely don’t go for the dog's face. If you really want to reward your dog for being awesome, don’t bang on their head, but give them a rub on their rear end right by the tail. They’ll thank you for it!"

Most dogs dislike being touched on top of the head and on the muzzle, ears, legs, paws and tail.

I think that's how dogs behave when they are about to be subjected to something they find unpleasant, e.g. flea spray in my dog's case.
Thank you very much Mr Seun. Im praying it works.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by atoleybaba(m): 9:45am On Oct 20, 2016
MissHatey:
that's wrong.

dogs Dont like been touched on the head by strangers ma...seun is right. I know of a lhasa also u can touch her anywhere but d head

1 Like

Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by atoleybaba(m): 9:46am On Oct 20, 2016
HolySteph:

But whenever she's barking at me and I call her name, the barking increases the more. It's not easy.
she is sensing the fear in u when she barks and she is enjoying it....try feeding her has suggested and try to show u are in command and Dont pay attention to her when she barks at u or shun her
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Emmysteve(m): 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2016
Seun:

just say Dogs don't like being touch at all. If u can't touch them in any of the listed places then where?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Prodeegee(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2016
try this simple trick. ask your spouse to take the dog for a walk. once you get outside, ask him to hand you the leash. walk the dog(without fear) out and back home. Dont panic cos dogs sense panic. do this at least thrice a week. lemme know how far after 2 weeks.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 3:05pm On Oct 23, 2016
Prodeegee:
try this simple trick. ask your spouse to take the dog for a walk. once you get outside, ask him to hand you the leash. walk the dog(without fear) out and back home. Dont panic cos dogs sense panic. do this at least thrice a week. lemme know how far after 2 weeks.
OK I will do that. But what about if she's barking at me at that moment?
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Prodeegee(m): 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
HolySteph:

OK I will do that. But what about if she's barking at me at that moment?
if youre outside, she would hardly have time to notice you. once youre with the leash, ignore her completely. dont even look at her atall.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Seun(m): 8:20pm On Oct 23, 2016
Emmysteve:
just say Dogs don't like being touch at all. If u can't touch them in any of the listed places then where?
"Most dogs are comfortable being petted on the chest, the shoulders and the base of the neck. When petting these areas, reach in from the side, rather than moving your hand over the top of the dog’s head. Individual dogs also have specific spots where they like to be petted; common areas are the base of the tail, under the chin or on the back of the neck where the collar hits"

Prodeegee:
This will also help, but I wonder if HolySteph has started feeding the dog yet. I don't think it can fail, especially if you hand-feed with your palm.
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by Ripplz(m): 5:35am On Oct 24, 2016
The first thing I want to say is that dogs are sensitive to fear and actually take advantage of it. There are things I can do with our dog that other family members can't, because they used to display fear when the dog was younger and he now recognises that fact and uses it against them. For example, our male dog hates the sound of generators and when we put on our generator, he finds somewhere to crouch in. If he's in a place that disturbs something and he needs to be taken away from there, attempts from my dad, mum or sister, even my older brother would result in threatening growls from the dog. They would panic and leave there and start calling Stephen (lol). When I get there, I don't even look at the face of the dog, I just bundle him away from where he is; he wouldn't even have the time to start growling at me. If he does growl at me, I'd slap its f***ing mouth. Same thing with when he's eating bones or meat/fish.

As for the issue of trust and fear of biting, aunty this is a dog that looks like one I've handled before. All it takes is food and some care, follow my lead devotedly and I assure you that you'd be friends with the dog in three days' time.

As others have advised, take over the feeding of the dog completely. Standing at a distance and pushing food to it wouldn't make a difference, what I'd advise is this: get a juicy piece of meat, bone or fish and give it to the dog directly from your hand. Let the food item be long enough to ensure the dog doesn't grab your hand while attempting to grab the food from it. Don't show any fear at all, look directly into the dog's eyes while giving it this treat. Trust me on this; the dog wouldn't bite you when it sees such a juicy treat in your hands....maybe after finishing it, it can come and deal with you :lol:

Another food item that works wonders is Hollandia milk (unalduterated) or any such quality milk. Pour it into a bowl, give it to the dog and stay there throughout the period he laps it up. This can be alternated with the meat/bone/fish treat as you desire.

Also, about patting the dog. Lemme tell you something from experience. Most male dogs like it if you pat them on the head gently, while most bishes don't. Since this looks like a bish, I suggest you don't go for the head directly. Find a way to scratch the ears tenderly, especially the back of the ears and underside. Oh! How dogs love this kinda attention.

Lastly, if this is a female, look for a way to make it roll over so you could rub her tummy. Female dogs love this, and even my male dog invites me to do it sometimes.

I believe if you can follow my advise devotedly, you'd be friends with this dog in less than a week. Peace!
Re: Please Help! I Need To Overcome Cynophobia(Fear Of Dog) by HolySteph(f): 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2016
Ripplz:
The first thing I want to say is that dogs are sensitive to fear and actually take advantage of it. There are things I can do with our dog that other family members can't, because they used to display fear when the dog was younger and he now recognises that fact and uses it against them. For example, our male dog hates the sound of generators and when we put on our generator, he finds somewhere to crouch in. If he's in a place that disturbs something and he needs to be taken away from there, attempts from my dad, mum or sister, even my older brother would result in threatening growls from the dog. They would panic and leave there and start calling Stephen (lol). When I get there, I don't even look at the face of the dog, I just bundle him away from where he is; he wouldn't even have the time to start growling at me. If he does growl at me, I'd slap its f***ing mouth. Same thing with when he's eating bones or meat/fish.

As for the issue of trust and fear of biting, aunty this is a dog that looks like one I've handled before. All it takes is food and some care, follow my lead devotedly and I assure you that you'd be friends with the dog in three days' time.

As others have advised, take over the feeding of the dog completely. Standing at a distance and pushing food to it wouldn't make a difference, what I'd advise is this: get a juicy piece of meat, bone or fish and give it to the dog directly from your hand. Let the food item be long enough to ensure the dog doesn't grab your hand while attempting to grab the food from it. Don't show any fear at all, look directly into the dog's eyes while giving it this treat. Trust me on this; the dog wouldn't bite you when it sees such a juicy treat in your hands....maybe after finishing it, it can come and deal with you :lol:

Another food item that works wonders is Hollandia milk (unalduterated) or any such quality milk. Pour it into a bowl, give it to the dog and stay there throughout the period he laps it up. This can be alternated with the meat/bone/fish treat as you desire.

Also, about patting the dog. Lemme tell you something from experience. Most male dogs like it if you pat them on the head gently, while most bishes don't. Since this looks like a bish, I suggest you don't go for the head directly. Find a way to scratch the ears tenderly, especially the back of the ears and underside. Oh! How dogs love this kinda attention.

Lastly, if this is a female, look for a way to make it roll over so you could rub her tummy. Female dogs love this, and even my male dog invites me to do it sometimes.

I believe if you can follow my advise devotedly, you'd be friends with this dog in less than a week. Peace!

Thank you very much. This will help. I'll surely follow up these steps. Thank you so much

(1) (Reply)

Whole family sold! Sold!! SOLD!!! / Anyone Knows The Name Of This Spider? / SHOCKING: See The Very Moment A Dog Walked Majestically On A Swimming Pool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.