Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). (89662 Views)

COVID –19: Frank Commends Patriotic Nigerians, Corporate Bodies On Donations, Wa / Nigerian 'Rubber Kids' Can Twist Their Bodies Like Snake, Featured On BBC / Barbaric! ISIS Executes 145 Civilians, Hangs Bodies On Electric Poles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by oyetpel(m): 9:41pm On Oct 20, 2016
ayobase:

You guys fit raise me about $90,000 to go climb?
The thing dey sweet my belle.
I wan be the first Nigerian wey go climb.
Hmmm, i trust you, you go take the money go dey live for UK or US.

7 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ReorxTohGan(m): 9:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
oyetpel:

So many things are attached to climbinh Mt Everest.

1) Some go there because they are depressed. So they go there to away from there normal life.

2) To some, it's a promise that they want to fulfill

3) To some like explorer said, is to break record, to get to where other people have not been before.

4) To some its the thrill, the party at the base camp, meeting people who have been to the summit, make history, sight seeing, of course Mt Everest is a wonder, the highest point on earth.

5) Nepal is rich because of this shiit, and its also a source of income to the Sherpas.

6) Even geographers go there to study the mountain.
..Okay,buh No1 Reason Tho'...There Are Many Places To Go,if U Wann' Ease Off Depression,like Beaches,islands,reserves E.T.C,why Climb A Mount.,that Could Even Add To One's Problem Sef.

4 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ayobase(m): 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
oyetpel:
Hmmm, i trust you, you go take the money go dey live for UK or US.

Which trust u dey talk about o.
No come pour sand for my semovita biko.
I'm always a man of my words.
About $90,000 will do. I can get the $10,000 balance from my years of savingS.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 10:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ishilove:

My brother, it is someone who has eaten to his satisfaction that will think of breaking records and doing what no other person has done. We're too busy trying to make ends meet to bother about making history.

Lol....They re busy also, but i think is just their way. They create time for adventure.

3 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by oyetpel(m): 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
ayobase:

Which trust u dey talk about o.

No come pour sand for my semovita biko.

I'm always a man of my words.

About $90,000 will do. I can get the $10,000 balance from my years of savingS.
You, a black man, a hustling one at that will take a crowdfunded $90,000 to climb Mt Everest? lailai.

3 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ayobase(m): 10:50pm On Oct 20, 2016
oyetpel:

You, a black man, a hustling one at that will take a crowdfunded $90,000 to climb Mt Everest? lailai.

Try me and see na.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by oyetpel(m): 10:56pm On Oct 20, 2016
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by katty235(f): 1:13am On Oct 21, 2016
Explorers:

Lol....They re busy also, but i think is just their way. They create time for adventure.
They are not hungry, starving, jobless, or eating from hand to mouth.

5 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by deflover(m): 6:32am On Oct 21, 2016
oyetpel:

I didn't say Nepal is rich, what i meant is that foreigners coming into their country to climb Mt Everest, is one of Nepal's major revenue generator. Like our oil. I didn't mean they are rich country.

oga go read what you typed....I didn't type it for u

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Creamish(f): 9:09am On Oct 21, 2016
I'd love to try Bungee jumping and Sky diving. Everest is a NO-NO.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by purplekayc(m): 11:14am On Oct 21, 2016
Why has no African attempted this climb?
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
oyetpel:

So many things are attached to climbinh Mt Everest.

1) Some go there because they are depressed. So they go there to away from there normal life.

2) To some, it's a promise that they want to fulfill

3) To some like explorer said, is to break record, to get to where other people have not been before.

4) To some its the thrill, the party at the base camp, meeting people who have been to the summit, make history, sight seeing, of course Mt Everest is a wonder, the highest point on earth.

5) Nepal is rich because of this shiit, and its also a source of income to the Sherpas.

6) Even geographers go there to study the mountain.

They want to stand on top of the planet, the highest point. Feeling on top of the world, nothing like the moment.

There are lots of flags on this mountain, taking ours there someday.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 2:33pm On Oct 21, 2016
In the begining, many are called but few are chosen. Starting the expedition, traffic can be seen as climbers sets off.

One by one, they give up and turn back. Less than ten of these climbers will see the summit.

Lalasticlala

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by SalomonKane: 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ishilove:
Explorers, I'm your biggest fan
Now this sound like: "explorers, please sign your name on my kegs". grin

3 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 7:18pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ishilove:
Explorers, I'm your biggest fan

Feelinggrin

4 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2016
JhimmyThall:
Explorer... His thread are always meaningful, very educative. God bless you op.

Amen, God bless u more bro.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 2:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Funjosh:

Bros that money plenty o shocked

Abi, excluding airfare/visa fee, accommodation/hotel, feeding in Nepal.

3 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 29, 2016
Fantastic thread....

ExplorersFantastic cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 5:03am On Nov 16, 2016
The wind can blow over 200 mph.

The temperature on the mountain can be as low as -60c.

282 people (169 westerners and 113 Sherpas) have died on Everest from 1924 to August 2015.

Of the deaths, 102 died attempting to summit without using supplemental oxygen.

There is 66% less oxygen in each breath on the summit of Everest than at sea level.

The top cause of death was from a fall, avalanche, exposure and altitude sickness.

From 1923 to 1999: 170 people died on Everest with 1,169 summits or 14.5%. But the deaths drastically declined from 2000 to 2015 with 5,832 summits and 112 deaths or 1.9%.

The reduction in deaths is primarily due to better gears/equipments, and weather forecasting.

Climbers can suffer acute altitude sickness as well as frost bite and hypothermia.

Climbers burn over 10,000 calories each day, double that on the summit climb.

Climbers will lose 10 to 20 lbs during the expedition.

Sherpa is the name of a people. They mostly live in western Nepal. They migrated from Tibet over the last several hundred years.

Sherpas help climbers by carrying tents and cooking foods on the High Camps.

Sherpas climb Everest as a job to support their families.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 6:38am On Dec 14, 2016
purplekayc:

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 6:39am On Dec 14, 2016
purplekayc:

Some have.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 11:02am On Jan 03, 2017
Maria Strydom and Robert Gropel.

Maria Strydom died on Mount Everest after falling ill with altitude sickness near the summit.

At first Robert Gropel thought his wife, Maria Strydom, was simply exhausted from the effort of climbing Everest.

The Australian couple had halted at well above 8,000 metres, in an area known as the death zone, as Strydom said she could not continue.

Gropel asked her for permission to go on to the summit.

What neither of them realised was that it was not simply exhaustion but altitude sickness, and that it would cost 34-year-old Strydom her life.

Above 8,000 metres, even with supplemental oxygen, the risks increase markedly.

The blood thickens which, combined with dehydration and effort, can trigger altitude sickness, which at its worst can cause a lethal buildup of fluid on the lungs and brain.

Complicating the issue is that it affects individuals in different ways, and the onset of the first symptoms is sometimes mistaken for tiredness or a minor illness.

Decision making can become more difficult.

Small mistakes, a dropped item of equipment, a stumble, something as simple as not drinking enough or the question of when to turn back or carry on can have multiplying and serious consequences.

With the summit apparently only 15 minutes away, Gropel asked his wife whether he should continue without her.

Robert Gropel said he blamed himself for Maria Strydom’s death.

“I asked: ‘Do you mind if I go on,’ and she said: ‘Yes, you go on, I’ll wait for you here,’” he told the Seven Network. “From that position the summit didn’t look that far.

“I didn’t want to separate from her. I wanted her to keep going,” he said of the decision to leave her and press on to the top.

“I also understood she was very exhausted.

I just ran up and down and it didn’t mean anything to me. Because we do everything together and everything else we did together was much more special.

“When I made it to the summit of Everest it wasn’t special to me, because I didn’t have her there.”

After he returned to Strydom the pair began their descent, but it was soon clear that something was seriously amiss.

Strydom began hallucinating, struggled to walk and was talking incoherently, perhaps the result of a stroke triggered by cerebral odema.

Helped at times by a group of sherpa guides, and at other times apparently struggling on his own, he shared oxygen with Strydom until that ran out and then, suffering the effects of altitude himself, recalled that he had medication for altitude sickness.

“It took a while for me to register that I had medication and so as soon as I realised I gave her a dexamethasone injection.”

But the long period spent high on the mountain was taking its toll on Strydom, who by the time she faded into unconsciousness had been without extra oxygen for 20 hours.

“I could see that her condition had deteriorated,” Gropel said. “She was going through periods of being lucid and periods of hallucinating.”

“There was a point where we thought she would get better.

Her condition had improved and she was taking medication and fluids and had made camp. And then overnight she just got worse.” Strydom died in Gropel’s arms on 20 May.

“Walking away was the hardest thing [for him],” Pennells said. “You can imagine, or hopefully you can’t, making the decision to come off the mountain knowing that the body of your wife is up there.”

Strydom, a university lecturer, and Gropel, a vet, had wanted to climb the highest mountains on each continent, a challenge known as the Seven Summits.

“I’m her husband, it’s my job to protect my wife and get her home and it’s just natural for me to blame myself. I still can’t look at any pictures of her because it breaks my heart.”

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/maria-strydom-dies-from-high-altitude-sickness-on-mount-everest/news-story/b5cfdeee9e1f8637f5791660d6f85402

5 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Kakamorufu(m): 11:58pm On May 14, 2017
wow. interesting thread
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 6:56am On May 17, 2017
Kakamorufu:
wow. interesting thread

Thanks...

Mynd44
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 1:46am On Feb 04, 2018
Saw this movie last night, so touching.

Based on a true life story.

About Robert Edwin "Rob" Hall(14 January 1961 – 11 May 1996) was a New Zealand mountaineer best known for being the head guide of a 1996 Mount Everest expedition in which he, a fellow guide, and two clients perished.

At the time of his death, Hall had just completed his 5th summit of Everest, more at that time than any other non-Sherpa mountaineer.

But during descent with his clients, there was a storm.

A best-selling account of the expedition has been dramatised in the 2015 film, Everest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4964177355

Lalasticlala please grace this thread with more views, everything written here is fact and real. Death toll has even increased.

Just saw the movie yesterday and is a hit.

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Ishilove: 2:46am On Feb 04, 2018
Icy graves
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by SandB2017: 9:42am On Feb 05, 2018
Death sitdown jeje unna go wake am. Even small pikin dey sef.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 11:42am On Feb 05, 2018
SandB2017:
Death sitdown jeje unna go wake am. Even small pikin dey sef.

Na everybody one climb, one man said in the movie 'why are we doing this to ourselves?'

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by SandB2017: 11:56am On Feb 05, 2018
Explorers:

Na everybody one climb, one man said in the movie 'why are we doing this to ourselves?'
Yes now, why are they doing it to themselves? But I will surely download the movie tonight. I do enjoy ur post more wisdom in Jesus name
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 1:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
SandB2017:
Yes now, why are they doing it to themselves? But I will surely download the movie tonight. I do enjoy ur post more wisdom in Jesus name

Tnx bro, pls see the movie.

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by SandB2017: 9:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
Explorers:

Tnx bro, pls see the movie.
Alright bro
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 9:20pm On Feb 19, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Nairaland Female Members' Pictures Say To Me. / Man Sitting On Nothing Seen In Ikeja (Shocking Photo) / The Snake I Killed In My Compound (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.