Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,034 members, 7,956,826 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers (6158 Views)

Why You Should Know What Your Insurance Covers / Need Help In Taking A Comprehensive Auto Insurance / 3 Reasons Why You Need A Comprehensive Auto Insurance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Ladipodeal: 5:13am On Oct 21, 2016
Was asking an insurance company sales agent series of question and he mentioned that comprehensive insurance does not cover a 3rd party like driver or mechanic in cases of theft. He said only close family members like ones wife and children covered.
The insurance company happens to be one of the most popular and even partners with UBER where most cars are being driven by 3rd party.
Anybody with any experience or the sales person was wrong.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Ladipodeal: 5:38am On Oct 22, 2016
Gurus input required
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by veekid(m): 6:18am On Oct 22, 2016
Nope it doesn't
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by oatzeal(m): 6:20am On Oct 22, 2016
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Deeypeey(m): 6:22am On Oct 22, 2016
just waka-ing pass...
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by ezechueze(m): 6:27am On Oct 22, 2016
OK
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by calebrita(m): 6:28am On Oct 22, 2016
Following thread keenly
Meanwhile ops - what are the advantage of comprehensive insurance over the 5K third party insurance that is very common.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by LordVoldemort(m): 6:29am On Oct 22, 2016
The insurance company is not liable if your driver or mechanic stole your car. You gave them permission to drive your car and your the insurance company is not covering your negligence.

1 Like

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by beey2(m): 6:36am On Oct 22, 2016
Generally except where otherwise it is expressly stated in the policy document Comprehensive Insurance covers all drivers authorized by the policyholders (owners).

Your personal driver is authorised by you except your insurer can proof that he acted outside his duty of employment or without your permission.

I'm a professional.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by auntysimbiat(f): 6:39am On Oct 22, 2016
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by iamjp87(m): 6:52am On Oct 22, 2016
It covers other persons (not under aged) who drive the car on your permission, including your driver. it also covers persons under your employment, who drive the car in performance of their duties.

1 Like

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Burgerlomo: 7:10am On Oct 22, 2016
Ladipodeal:
Was asking an insurance company sales agent series of question and he mentioned that comprehensive insurance does not cover a 3rd party like driver or mechanic in cases of theft. He said only close family members like ones wife and children covered.
The insurance company happens to be one of the most popular and even partners with UBER where most cars are being driven by 3rd party.

He's absolutely right
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:11am On Oct 22, 2016
Ladipodeal:

in simple terms insurance covers any person on the policy so if you want to put your driver it can cover both you and your driver or driver wife/husband

the mechanic should have his/her insurance thats cover him driving clients cars aka a business insurance policy

there are type of policy that cover one to drive other people cars but are expensive eg a policy that cover you and any car you drive and would be comprehensive
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by kkman(m): 7:16am On Oct 22, 2016
Comphersive insurance covers the car only against stolen, accident only.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by nathandrake(m): 7:19am On Oct 22, 2016
beey2:
Generally except where otherwise it is expressly stated in the policy document Comprehensive Insurance covers all drivers authorized by the policyholders (owners).

Your personal driver is authorised by you except your insurer can proof that he acted outside his duty of employment or without your permission.

I'm a professional.

In the case of theft insurance doesn't cover it. you can as well give the car to your driver and file for claim from the insurance company claiming your driver stole your car.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 22, 2016
beey2:

I'm a professional.

Exactly. Its stated in my insurance policy too

2 Likes

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by TheOonlyOne: 7:41am On Oct 22, 2016
kkk
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by contra(m): 8:12am On Oct 22, 2016
I've seen different policies of comprehensive insurance and I can say that many have variant cover clauses depending on the price.

Most insurance companies trying to sell their product some times modify the clause for the price the customers are willing the pay.

A good/complete comprehensive insurance cover should include any kind of accidental damage or theft, covering the car, the owner of the car and any third party assigned by the owner of the car.

In the policies I've taken i always insist it cover everything. It is therefore advisable for policy holders to read the policy statement thoroughly and insist on one or two modifications.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by saintsylve(m): 8:12am On Oct 22, 2016
Good morning all, nice question.
I work with cornerstone insurance and can authoritatively tell you it does cover your personal driver and whomever you gave permission to drive the car.

Off course, you know insurance company do make investigation to ascertain your claims, so for the record, it does .

For those in Abuja, contact me for your various insurance cover., send me a DM if you need vehicle insurance. Within two days of payment you get your policy document.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by youngwolf(m): 8:40am On Oct 22, 2016
Good morning people.
Like one of the posters said above, you can tailor your insurance needs any how you want, include any driver under the policy as you wish. There's is no fixed way insurance business is conducted nowadays. However you premium payable may be higher. Please send me a PM for any of your insurance needs. I am an underwriter with Wapic insurance plc.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by cashful(m): 9:09am On Oct 22, 2016
oatzeal:
hmmm,,, nice thread ..

Op , I will advice you to read this article: >>> Comprehensive Auto Insurance And Everything It Covers
[img]http://1.bp..com/-4KX1Qmh65IQ/WAr43OCqJaI/AAAAAAAAVnA/05wEyKCb1qspkEPmJLgXrXMkoaSMv-VCwCLcB/s640/what-does-comprehensive-cover767x588.jpg[/img]

SOURCE: >>> Comprehensive Auto Insurance And Everything It Covers

I have a contrary opinion, which is based on what my IC did in the event of an accident and damage to insured and 3rd party vehicles.

The cost of repair was fully paid to both parties.

Also IC's now have some other plans which incorporates comprehensive auto insurance and some other added incentives.

Comprehensive covers personal drivers and whoever you gave permission to drive your car.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by SmartGate(m): 9:17am On Oct 22, 2016
saintsylve:
Good morning all, nice question.
I work with cornerstone insurance and can authoritatively tell you it does cover your personal driver and whomever you gave permission to drive the car.

Off course, you know insurance company do make investigation to ascertain your claims, so for the record, it does .

For those in Abuja, contact me for your various insurance cover., send me a DM if you need vehicle insurance. Within two days of payment you get your policy document.

Hello,

I'm about opening a transport company using sienna, how do I go about a comprehensive insurance cover with you and how much will it cost for each vehicles worth N1.3m?
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by nathandrake(m): 9:19am On Oct 22, 2016
iamjp87:
It covers other persons (not under aged) who drive the car on your permission, including your driver. it also covers persons under your employment, who drive the car in performance of their duties.

please read the question op is asking again
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 22, 2016
every insurance company has different conditions, read the fine print. When I was young, the insurance policy where my father worked stated the company cars could not be driven by members of his family, when he moved to a different company, the insurance policy covered all members of his family and any driver authorized to drive the car.

Don't assume anything with insurance companies, read your policy well. Also most sales people are not properly trained so never take as gospel what they say...if it is not in writing don't believe it.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Ladipodeal: 9:45am On Oct 22, 2016
From what I deduce so far it depends on the company. So most UBER partners are at risk if their cars are stolen by their drivers
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by saintsylve(m): 9:52am On Oct 22, 2016
SmartGate:

Hello,

I'm about opening a transport company using sienna, how do I go about a comprehensive insurance cover with you and how much will it cost for each vehicles worth N1.3m?

It depends on the package you want dear , we have gold and bronze for 4% and 3.5% of the market value of your vehicle. Thus for 1.3 m it will be 3.5% of it if you choose bronze.
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Ojisik(m): 10:11am On Oct 22, 2016
Ladipodeal:

It covers any licensed driver of the car per time. I.e.: even if your driver was driving the car and a mishap occurred, the car will still be repaired/replaced in place of theft. I work with Custodian & Allied Plc...one of the best insurance companies in Nigeria. Please feel free to call me on +2348131897628 or please send a DM with your number and I'll call you Sir

Once payment is made, your certificate gets ready that same day and your data is uploaded into the NIID database that same day! ( this is the database Road Safety Officers check to know if a car is insured or not).

with the recession, replacement/ repair cost is increasing by the day, hedge your risks by being insured

We keep our word, insurance cover without stories.

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Ojisik(m): 10:17am On Oct 22, 2016
SmartGate:

Hello,

Hello Sir,

I recommend a fleet insurance for you Sir.

This is what most transport companies use. We'll insure the cars as a whole not one by one and this will save you a lot of money Sir.

I work with Custodian & Allied Plc...one of the best insurance companies in Nigeria. Please feel free to call me on +2348131897628 or send a DM with your number and I'll call you Sir.

Once payment is made, your certificate gets ready that same day and your data is uploaded into the NIID database that same day! ( this is the database Road Safety Officers check to know if a car is insured or not).

We're happy to insure you.

with the recession, replacement / repair cost is increasing daily, insurance is a great way to hedge yourself against the sudden expense you'll have in the eventuality that an accident or some other mishap occurs

Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by ajasa4link: 10:26am On Oct 22, 2016
I think everyone answering the question is missing the point here. The op is asking if he will be compensated under a comprehensive motor policy if his car is stolen by his driver. The answer to this question is no, because the driver is an employee of the insured and as such this is not covered under a motor insurance policy. The insurance policy that best covers this is fidelity guarantee insurance policy. It is a policy that covers the insured against loss of money, property etc as a result of the dishonesty/fraud of employees of the insured. I think this should be helpful.
Am an insurance practitioner, for more clarifications u can ask here or send me a pm
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by Exponental(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2016
I think so!
Re: Does Comprehensive Auto Insurance Covers Personal Drivers by contra(m): 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2016
ajasa4link:
I think everyone answering the question is missing the point here. The op is asking if he will be compensated under a comprehensive motor policy if his car is stolen by his driver. The answer to this question is no, because the driver is an employee of the insured and as such this is not covered under a motor insurance policy. The insurance policy that best covers this is fidelity guarantee insurance policy. It is a policy that covers the insured against loss of money, property etc as a result of the dishonesty/fraud of employees of the insured. I think this should be helpful.
Am an insurance practitioner, for more clarifications u can ask here or send me a pm

Not absolutely sir.

Some comprehensive insuance policy will cover this and that's why the OP is advised to ensure this is included as part of the terms and conditions of the contract.

You can confirm this from any insurance broker/expert.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! 2009 Honda City / Hyundai Elantra / Kia Cerato / Toyota Yaris / How Reliable Is Nissan Almera And Nissan Primera / Why Do People Drive When It Makes More Sense To Ride A Bike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.