Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,581 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of (6045 Views)

Help!!! Odometer and Speedometer Stop Working / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / Odometer: Kilometer Vs Miles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by learned0007: 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
Just thought I share this with you guys. I have been car hunting for a while just to ensure I get the perfect toks deal - clean title (non-accidented), low mileage (less than 100k miles)& full options.

Finally, I saw the dream car and decided to go for it, it had all I wanted apart from one thing - had relatively high mileage (about 142K miles). Since it was very neat I decided to still go for it regardless.

After driving the car for about a week, I decided to play with the Odometer/Trip mileage readings for a specific distance (home to work) in order to determine the fuel consumption of my new ride. I discovered the normal distance of 20 miles read 32 miles on this car. I began to wonder if there was a problem with the Odometer/trip calculator.

The shocker - After investigating, I realised from AutoCheck's VIN History that the car originated from Canada and as a result had metric instrumentation rather than imperial. What I mean is the Odometer was measured in kilometers (Canadian cars) rather than miles (for US cars).

In essence, I discovered the high mileage (142k) which I was initially unhappy about was actually 142,000 km which is equivalent to approx 88,000miles meaning I had a perfect deal afterall.

Lesson - When next you go Tokunbo car shopping, find out if its a Canadian car with odometer reading in kilometers so as not to loose out on a good car with the assumption it has a high mileage. Unfortunately, Autocheck & Carfax just states the mileage without the unit of measurement(km or miles) so you cannot really tell from the report. Even some car dealers are ignorant of this fact because the dealer I bought from also thought the car actually had high mileage.

Hopes this info helps someone. smiley

NB - This information only applies to those concerned about the mileage of their cars before purchase.

2 Likes

Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by chillex8(m): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2014
Good one

But you can always know your Mileage unit by checking the outer unit of measurement on your speedometer.

If the outer reading is in km/hr, then the odometer will be in km, and vice versa.

Cheers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by learned0007: 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
chillex8:
Good one
But you can always know your Mileage unit by checking the outer unit of measurement on your speedometer.
If the outer reading is in km/hr, then the odometer will be in km, and vice versa.
Cheers.

@Chillex8, thanks for the added enlightenment.
Another sure way to know the odometer unit, Im sure quite a number of people like myself never took notice of those details.

1 Like

Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by DECOtech(m): 12:00am On Oct 24, 2014
chillex8:
Good one

Cheers.
Who tot you that?
Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by chillex8(m): 9:25am On Oct 24, 2014
DECOtech:

Who tot you that?

Who thought you otherwise
Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 25, 2014
chillex8:

Who thought you otherwise
Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 25, 2014
learned0007:
Just thought I share this with you guys. I have been car hunting for a while just to ensure I get the perfect toks deal - clean title (non-accidented), low mileage (less than 100k miles)& full options.

Finally, I saw the dream car and decided to go for it, it had all I wanted apart from one thing - had relatively high mileage (about 142K miles). Since it was very neat I decided to still go for it regardless.

After driving the car for about a week, I decided to play with the Odometer/Trip mileage readings for a specific distance (home to work) in order to determine the fuel consumption of my new ride. I discovered the normal distance of 20 miles read 32 miles on this car. I began to wonder if there was a problem with the Odometer/trip calculator.

The shocker - After investigating, I realised from AutoCheck's VIN History that the car originated from Canada and as a result had metric instrumentation rather than imperial. What I mean is the Odometer was measured in kilometers (Canadian cars) rather than miles (for US cars).

In essence, I discovered the high mileage (142k) which I was initially unhappy about was actually 142,000 km which is equivalent to approx 88,000miles meaning I had a perfect deal afterall.

Lesson - When next you go Tokunbo car shopping, find out if its a Canadian car with odometer reading in kilometers so as not to loose out on a good car with the assumption it has a high mileage. Unfortunately, Autocheck & Carfax just states the mileage without the unit of measurement(km or miles) so you cannot really tell from the report. Even some car dealers are ignorant of this fact because the dealer I bought from also thought the car actually had high mileage.

Hopes this info helps someone. smiley

NB - This information only applies to those concerned about the mileage of their cars before purchase.
which did you finally get?
Re: Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:38pm On Oct 25, 2014
people in motherland are fools sometimes

you hear someone who wants a 2003 car with low mileage, something below 100000miles

do that make sense ? no

do the maths on average people do 10000 miles per year X 11 years = 110000miles

most people in africa you look at mileage, body and interior instead of also doing the average 10000miles rule per year and multiply by how old is the car

ask yourself this question why woould such a car attracts an exporter than the local people on average the car was sold cheap to the exporter because local market would buy such car for resale because of high mileage and its age

so exporter get such car for cheap and roll back the mileage, you guys you fall for the body and interior and finally the rolled back mileage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28546589

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFtpTTv258U

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help - My Peugeot 406 Goes While On Motion / Apple iCar And iMove Concept Car / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Nissan (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.