Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

What Happens When We Die - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happens When We Die (2376 Views)

What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is / What Happens After We Die? Near-death-experiences & Reincarnation / What Happens When People Die? (find Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens When We Die by raphieMontella: 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
was it nature that created you?
i was produced in accordance with nature's laws.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Wilgrea7(m): 6:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
I understand your sacarcism. the sinner that dies in sin will never get another opportunity to repent their fate has been sealed hell is their abode
Getting saved is not by human effort but by divine providence which is grace.

you're correct @ last sentence.. our righteousness is not enough enough.. Jesus said he is the way, the truth and the life... Jesus said that the father isn't going to Judge anyone because all judgements have been given to him. He will be the one to judge. so the standard is up to Jesus. he is the way in the sense that its him who chooses who gets into heaven.. no amount of our holiness on earth here can get us to heaven.. our holiness here is still filthiness in the sight of God

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away

as u can see... no one is worthy... we all fail in the face of judgement. only through God's mercies and grace can anyone enter heaven. without it.. we're all going to hell

and concerning hell... u already know my view on it

cheers
Re: What Happens When We Die by menxer: 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
[ there is nothing like spiritual maturity after death, the only opportunity to repent is now that you are alive. only those whose names are written in the lambs book of life will make it to heaven.
Jesus is the only door and the only way to heaven.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
there are only two destinies after death i.e hell or heaven.

Take note of whatever is in parenthesis.
Who is talking about spiritual maturity after death?

"Jesus is the door" and a door don't stand alone, doors are always part of a structure. He didn't say the father is on the other side of the door.

The entrance (front door) into a palace doesn't open into the throne room, but the foyer; there you probably would meet the receptionist or house keeper but not the King.

I wonder how two equals many.
Jesus did not say, "in my father's house are two mansions," which we can construe as heaven and hell.

Please understand an argument before you join.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 21, 2016
Brigham:

What are the standards?
Are the standards ever present within every culture and era of human civilization?
every culture and civilisation knew that there is God but had a twisted knowledge of him and as a result had to exchange his glory like that of mortal men or animals. All human has one ancestor so, human standards are an imperfect reflection of the creator standards for example homosexuality was an abhormination almost universally, there is no human civilation that promotes lying, murdering your neighbour.
Nations has laws, all religions tells you to do good an eschew evil but you see, humanity is guilty of all these even with our so called standards.
God standards is complete holiness and righteousness.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
raphieMontella:

i was produced in accordance with nature's laws.
you were not created by nature, you were created to rule nature not the other way round. Shalom

1 Like

Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 21, 2016
Wilgrea7:

you're correct @ last sentence.. our righteousness is not enough enough.. Jesus said he is the way, the truth and the life... Jesus said that the father isn't going to Judge anyone because all judgements have been given to him. He will be the one to judge. so the standard is up to Jesus. he is the way in the sense that its him who chooses who gets into heaven.. no amount of our holiness on earth here can get us to heaven.. our holiness here is still filthiness in the sight of God

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away

as u can see... no one is worthy... we all fail in the face of judgement. only through God's mercies and grace can anyone enter heaven. without it.. we're all going to hell

and concerning hell... u already know my view on it

cheers
sinners rest in peace in hell.
Look at what these verse says

Isaiah 57:21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Revelation 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

1 Like

Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
every culture and civilisation knew that there is God but had a twisted knowledge of him and as a result had to exchange his glory like that of mortal men or animals. All human has one ancestor so, human standards are an imperfect reflection of the creator standards for example homosexuality was an abhormination almost universally, there is no human civilation that promotes lying, murdering your neighbour.
Nations has laws, all religions tells you to do good an eschew evil but you see, humanity is guilty of all these even with our so called standards.
God standards is complete holiness and righteousness.
The gap between the known and unknown was what the ancients termed God and what they thought was best to represent him and his qualities in an anthropomorphic way or otherwise.

Similarities between culture stems from the basic conditions to form a society, for example:murder is frowned upon by all society because if killing is allowed,you've to seek refuge elsewhere and the population of the society wanes,same goes for telling lies.

Between homosexuality was practiced in most medieval societies.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 21, 2016
menxer:

Take note of whatever is in parenthesis.
Who is talking about spiritual maturity after death?

"Jesus is the door" and a door don't stand alone, doors are always part of a structure. He didn't say the father is on the other side of the door.

The entrance door in a palace doesn't open into the throne room, but the foyer; there you probably would meet the receptionist or house keeper but not the King.

I wonder how two equals many.
Jesus did not say, "in my father's house are two mansions," which we can construe as heaven and hell.

Please understand an argument before you join.
when Jesus said he is the door he wasn't talking of literal door that need structures but he is "The door" which means portal through him you will have a new life, his life.
He is the one who receives those who believe in him.
John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

His father's house is heaven. Hell is a different place entirely.
Re: What Happens When We Die by menxer: 8:26pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
when Jesus said he is the door he wasn't talking of literal door that need structures but he is "The door" which means portal through him you will have a new life, his life.
John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Literally?
If you are not reading the words of Jesus literally, then what are you arguing?

Is death not a portal?
Is birth not a portal?
Who has not passed through either of these portals in recorded history, except Melchizedek?

Hell and heaven is part of the same structure. Palaces do have dungeon so heaven must have a hell. Right?
Re: What Happens When We Die by Wilgrea7(m): 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
solite3:
sinners rest in peace in hell.
Look at what these verse says

Isaiah 57:21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Revelation 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

"That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath." Job 21:30.

the story of the rich man and Lazarus is a parable.. see below

Can we determine which is the correct interpretation? Let us first identify the things that must be true, according to the story, if it is literal:
The righteous dead go to live in Abraham’s bosom
The wicked dead are able to speak despite their torment
Those in hell can speak to those in heaven, and vice-versa
The dead in heaven and hell both have bodies
A drop of water is expected to relieve the torments of hell
Abraham, though faithful, was just a man like any other. In order for all the righteous dead to go to live in his bosom, he would have to be quite large. The “fixed gulf” between heaven and hell is apparently not so fixed to prevent communication between them, according to this story. And the flames of hell are said to be so weak that those in hell can carry on normal conversation and expect only a drop of water to soothe them! That is hardly a picture of torment. Finally, the Bible says plainly that the righteous dead will receive new bodies at Christ’s return (1 Corinthians 15:51 , 52 ), and the risen wicked a thousand years later (Revelation 20:5 ), so this story contradicts the plain words of the Bible by giving new bodies before the second coming. In light of all this, it seems clear that the story cannot be literal and must be a parable.

thirdly

"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be : yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be." Psalms 37:10

"As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God ." Psalms 68:2.

• What about the verse in Revelation 20:10 where it talks about the devil, the beast and false prophet being tormented for ever and ever. Doesn't that show that hell fire is forever or eternal?
"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10.
NOTE: The term "for ever," as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended. * It is like the word "tall," which means something different in describing men, trees, or mountains. In Jonah 2:6, "for ever" means "three days and nights."
" I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God." Jonah 2:6. (See also Jonah 1:17.)
In Deuteronomy 23:3, this means "10 generations." In the case of man, this means "as long as he lives" or "until death." (See 1 Samuel 1:22,28; Exodus 21:6; Psalm 48:14.) So the wicked will burn in the fire as long as they live, or until death. This fiery punishment for sin will vary according to the degree of sins for each individual, but after the punishment, the fire will go out. The teaching of eternal torment has done more to drive people to atheism and insanity than any other invention of the devil. It is slander upon the loving character of a tender, gracious heavenly Father and has done untold harm to the Christian cause.
* To check in a concordance, look up the word "ever".
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 22, 2016
menxer:

Literally?

Is death not a portal?
Is birth not a portal?
Who has not passed through either of these portals in recorded history, except Melchizedek?

Hell and heaven is part of the same structure. Palaces do have dungeon so heaven must have a hell. Right?

what are you saying
Re: What Happens When We Die by Wilgrea7(m): 8:09am On Oct 22, 2016
menxer:

Literally?

Is death not a portal?
Is birth not a portal?

death isn't a portal.. its d punishment for sin.. death is man's weakness
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 22, 2016
Wilgrea7:

"That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath." Job 21:30.

the story of the rich man and Lazarus is a parable.. see below

Can we determine which is the correct interpretation? Let us first identify the things that must be true, according to the story, if it is literal:
The righteous dead go to live in Abraham’s bosom
The wicked dead are able to speak despite their torment
Those in hell can speak to those in heaven, and vice-versa
The dead in heaven and hell both have bodies
A drop of water is expected to relieve the torments of hell
Abraham, though faithful, was just a man like any other. In order for all the righteous dead to go to live in his bosom, he would have to be quite large. The “fixed gulf” between heaven and hell is apparently not so fixed to prevent communication between them, according to this story. And the flames of hell are said to be so weak that those in hell can carry on normal conversation and expect only a drop of water to soothe them! That is hardly a picture of torment. Finally, the Bible says plainly that the righteous dead will receive new bodies at Christ’s return (1 Corinthians 15:51 , 52 ), and the risen wicked a thousand years later (Revelation 20:5 ), so this story contradicts the plain words of the Bible by giving new bodies before the second coming. In light of all this, it seems clear that the story cannot be literal and must be a parable.

thirdly

"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be : yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be." Psalms 37:10

"As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God ." Psalms 68:2.

• What about the verse in Revelation 20:10 where it talks about the devil, the beast and false prophet being tormented for ever and ever. Doesn't that show that hell fire is forever or eternal?
"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10.
NOTE: The term "for ever," as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended. * It is like the word "tall," which means something different in describing men, trees, or mountains. In Jonah 2:6, "for ever" means "three days and nights."
" I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God." Jonah 2:6. (See also Jonah 1:17.)
In Deuteronomy 23:3, this means "10 generations." In the case of man, this means "as long as he lives" or "until death." (See 1 Samuel 1:22,28; Exodus 21:6; Psalm 48:14.) So the wicked will burn in the fire as long as they live, or until death. This fiery punishment for sin will vary according to the degree of sins for each individual, but after the punishment, the fire will go out. The teaching of eternal torment has done more to drive people to atheism and insanity than any other invention of the devil. It is slander upon the loving character of a tender, gracious heavenly Father and has done untold harm to the Christian cause.
* To check in a concordance, look up the word "ever".
Jesus never made parable using peoples names which means the story of Lazarus and the rich man is no parable. Secondly since hell is a literal place where people who die go to, Jesus would not have said there is torment there if there was none this would amount to Jesus using lie to make a parable.
You cannot dismiss this story as a parable base on what you think or not.
Even if the richman could speak and beg for a drop of water it does not reduce the magnitude of hell.
If the richman could speak its because God wanted him to. Hell has different types of torment not just burnings but thirst past memory, fear of loved ones coming to hell etc all these torments balances up so that even if they can speak their torments know no bound.

Consider these verse
Psalms 140:10 Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.

Sir I don't want to take this any further. If after this you still do not believe hell is a place of punishment for sinners, I pray some day you see it. Shallom
Re: What Happens When We Die by Wilgrea7(m): 3:41pm On Oct 22, 2016
solite3:
Jesus never made parable using peoples names which means the story of Lazarus and the rich man is no parable. Secondly since hell is a literal place where people who die go to, Jesus would not have said there is torment there if there was none this would amount to Jesus using lie to make a parable.
You cannot dismiss this story as a parable base on what you think or not.
Even if the richman could speak and beg for a drop of water it does not reduce the magnitude of hell.
If the richman could speak its because God wanted him to. Hell has different types of torment not just burnings but thirst past memory, fear of loved ones coming to hell etc all these torments balances up so that even if they can speak their torments know no bound.

Consider these verse
Psalms 140:10 Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.

Sir I don't want to take this any further. If after this you still do not believe hell is a place of punishment for sinners, I pray some day you see it. Shallom

yeah me too.. i believe hell is a place of punishment... punishment according to crimes.. punishment that ends... that ends with death.

the wicked not rising up again signifies death..
if u still refuse to believe hell is a just punishment for sin then ok
i guess when we die we will know who is right
it was nice discussing with you

cheers
Re: What Happens When We Die by Peacefullove: 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2016
solite3:
of cause when you die you die then your spirit returns back to God for Judgement

confuse human being , I thought its soul that will be judged and go to hell grin grin grin

show me where your bible made the statement In bold and underlined ?
Re: What Happens When We Die by Peacefullove: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2016
solite3:

in the christian Bible , people died . for example dorcas , daughter of Jairus, Son of the widow of Nain, Lazarus of Bethany whom Jesus said is sleeping. , ( comparing death to sleep )

friend, how many of these people came back to life and start giving stories of some imaginary hell or heaven ?

Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 22, 2016
Peacefullove:

confuse human being , I thought its soul that will be judged and go to hell grin grin grin

show me where your bible made the statement In bold and underlined ?

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Read it carefully. May God forgive you.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2016
Peacefullove:

in the christian Bible , people died . for example dorcas , daughter of Jairus, Son of the widow of Nain, Lazarus of Bethany whom Jesus said is sleeping. , ( comparing death to sleep )

friend, how many of these people came back to life and start giving stories of some imaginary hell or heaven ?

so hell is imaginary so Jesus was preaching of imaginary hell fire. May God forgive you.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Peacefullove: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2016
solite3:

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

this is what happened when a person is just a confuse being.

why was Dorcas whom peter raised up not judged when she died?

then why was The daughter of Jairus , that 12 year old girl jesus raised not judged when she died ?

let me stop at this two .

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Read it carefully. May God forgive you.

it never said spirit return to God FOR JUDGEMENT!!! 419

spirit in this verse is also means " breath" . FYI in case you don't know

" and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the life's breath returns to God who gave it" Eccl 12 vs 7 NET bible grin grin
Re: What Happens When We Die by Peacefullove: 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2016
solite3:
so hell is imaginary so Jesus was preaching of imaginary hell fire. May God forgive you.

Jesus preach hell grin , I thought he was a Jew , how come he could pronounce hellfire which is an English word ! mehn

friend, how many of these people who ACTUALLY died and came back to life in your bible , start giving stories of some imaginary hell or heaven ?
Re: What Happens When We Die by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 30, 2016
Peacefullove:

Jesus preach hell grin , I thought he was a Jew , how come he could pronounce hellfire which is an English word ! mehn

friend, how many of these people who ACTUALLY died and came back to life in your bible , start giving stories of some imaginary hell or heaven ?
your ignorance is something else.
Re: What Happens When We Die by Peacefullove: 4:47pm On Jan 14, 2018
solite3:
your ignorance is something else.

grin grin Bros Abeg answer

friend, how many of these people who ACTUALLY died and came back to life in your bible , start giving stories of some heaven or imaginary hell ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download November Edition Of Rhapsody Of Realities In Any Language / Jesus Never Died / Inter-generation Curses Or Blessings. Let's See What The Bible Says, Shall We?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.