Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm (25492 Views)

I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by leksmedia: 4:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
Did you know that the biggest pig farm in Africa is actually in Nigeria, Lagos to be Precise. “Are you for real?” This was my reaction the first time I heard that the biggest pig farm in Africa is In Nigeria. I once wrote an article on How to start a pig farm in Nigeria. For those that missed it, you can read it. I never believe something that massive could be located in Nigeria. It was amazing and an eye opener for me. This led me to visit the popular Oke Aro Pig farm which is termed to be the biggest pig farm in Africa.

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! Was the only word I could make upon my visit to the farm. In less than 5 minutes, my mentality about pigs changed forever. The first thing that came to my mind was, I thought they said pigs are reared or raised in the refuse grounds and dirty places. Then different things people have said about pigs started ringing in my head. For the first time my perception about pigs and pig farming changed. I became curious, I got excited, I was asking all sorts of questions both meaningful and dumb ones and the replies i got even got me more excited. One thing i also noticed about Pig farmers is majority of them are educated, they are very innovative and they use technological tools than most of us.

If you are thinking of starting a pig farm in Nigeria and you don’t know where to go to get trainning or a place to start or probably you want to carry out market research. Oke Aro is the best place to go. But also you have to be careful to avoid getting into the wrong hands.

Also Read : How to Start a Pig Farm in Nigeria

The pig farm is situated on land measuring several hundreds of acres and hectares of land somewhere in between the Lagos and Ogun border in a town called Giwa, Oke Aro. It is less than 30 minutes drive from Agege and about 10 minutes drive from Iju, Ishaga. The name of the Pig farm is the one and only Oke Aro Piggery farm. With What i saw at Oke Aro Pig Estate this gave me more reasons to invest in Agriculture.

Also read: Why You should Invest in Agriculture

Oke Aro Pig farm has been in existence for over two decades and i heard it has over 2,000 farmers both small scale and medium size farmers. With the numerous number of pigs I saw at this farm, then once again I started asking and wondering who eats pork? I was surprised when i saw 5 big trucks loading pigs out of the farm. I was told that about 5 full trailer loads of pigs are being transported out of the farm on a daily basis. What!!! 5 trailer load? This got me even more interested. In less than 10 minutes of visiting Oke Aro farm, I realized most of what I have been hearing about pigs are not true, they are mere superstition and misconceptions. For the first time in my life I actually started liking pigs and pork meats. Pigs are raised in pens which are clean and healthy environment. They don’t constitute nuisance to the environment unlike their cattle counterparts.

How Pigs are reared in Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpUbf9RrzHo

Oke Aro Pig farm
Throughout my time at the popular Oke Aro Pig farm. I was re-educated, excited, well informed and above all my love for pork increased by 100%. I took pictures, made some videos. Sit back relax and lemme take you through my journey to the biggest pig farm in Africa. Welcome to Oke Aro Pig Farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWgNE8qE_Q

Traillers waiting to load the pigs

source: Business Mopol - Visit to the Biggest Pig farm in Africa

Common Myth and misconceptions About Pig and Pig farming In Nigeria

Here are the Common Myth and misconceptions About Pig and Pig farming In Nigeria Backed with Facts

Before you go on please just have an open mind, don’t worry I used to feel this way about pigs too until I did my research and also saw the way Pigs are being raised. This changed my perception totally. You can also go online to do your research too. Here are the common misconception about pigs in Nigeria, Africa and the world in general.

1. Nobody Eats Pigs: Now many people believe that nobody eats pork or only few people eats pig meat or pork. Did you know that the most consumed meat in the world right now is actually pig meat (pork). Yes you heard me. About 40% of all the meat sources in the world is pork.

2. Pigs are fatty: Pigs are not fatty as we thought, you can check out the fat content of pigs and cows, you will be shocked.

3. Eating Pigs is not healthy: After careful research online, i realised that pork meats are even healthier than cow meat because pork are white meat and cow is a red meat and we all know the effects of red meat compared to white meat.

4. Pigs are black: I am sure most of us grew up knowing the local pig breed which are usually the wild ones from the bush. But these days pigs have been domesticated and there are different species or breeds that are being breed, examples are the large white , landrace, camborough and the duroc.

5. Pigs Are Dirty Animals: Though a lot of you won’t believe this, but it’s the fact, pigs are not actually dirty as we thought. Did you know that pigs will never eat their poo. We all grew up to know the local dirty ones that are always looking unkempt. The reason why they wallow in mud is to keep their body temperature cool.

6. Pigs don’t eat poo: You will hardly find a pig eating its poo unlike some animals that feeds on their poo.

7. Pork Meat is not sweet: Now who ever said this has definitely not tasted pork. I cannot explain the taste, you just have to try it to know. My favourite is the asun pork and the fried pork. The funny park is when pork is cooked, you can barely differentiate it from other meats.

8. Pigs are reared in dirty environment: You should please visit a pig farm to really understand how pigs are reared.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by leksmedia: 4:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
cc lalasticlala
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 21, 2016
At least the place should be more tidy.
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by lanre2009: 7:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
I have been there once and i say that the place is terribly dirty, serious restructuring needs to be done there.....

1 Like

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by leksmedia: 8:19am On Oct 22, 2016
Many things needs restructuring in Nigeria and the government has to really empower the ministry of environment.
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by 222Martins(m): 10:50am On Oct 22, 2016
"Biggest in Africa" just by name. There's nothing inspiring about this Oke-Aro of a place you uploaded. Just my thoughts though undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by businessguide: 1:55pm On Jul 22, 2018
Visit www.businessguide.com.ng to view a comprehensive list of pig farms in Nigeria.
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by businessguide: 2:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
visit www.businessguide.com.ng for a more comprehensive list.
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by Abbey2411(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2018
If you go to Iperu Remo in Ogun State, a Pig Farm belonging to one Hon Oladipupo Adebutu son of the popular Kessington also called Baba Ijebu is the biggest, housing over 200000 pigs.

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by hothead(m): 4:19pm On Dec 15, 2018
Pig Farm For Sale
A farmer wants to relocate and dispose of his pig Farm. Infrastructure is very good and there’s Water Facility on ground as well
With Feeds supply for another two months in storage ,45 mins drive from Lagos
* Current selling price for each pig is N450-550 per kg, Minimum Kg to sell is 60kg
* Land value is now N400k per plot in the area (there is over 24 plots)
* Hogs Nipple drinker installed in every pen for drinking water
* 0.5 acres of Moringa plants also included
* Solid flooring in each of the pen
* Free Maize Peel in the Area for feeding
* 2008 Toyota Tundra Truck
Livestock: 105 pigs
Pen Capacity : 500 pigs
Land Size: 14,400sqm
Location: Owode Egba afterEgba Mowe, Ogun State 45mins drive from Lagos mainland
Document: Survey & receipt
Price : N20 million
Call 0807-040-7340

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by okoroemeka(m): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
I salute a very good friend mr tunde mararola,the secretary of okearo farmers cooperative,a fantastic gentleman and a good farmer,you always help me if I come to okearo to buy Weaners,I will not forget you.THANK YOU SIR,mr Emeka okoro,imo state.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by Karismatik(f): 9:09pm On Jul 22, 2019
Hello Farmers in the house. I must say you guys are doing a great job. God Almighty will beautifully reward your your labour of selflessness.

I reside in Etsako East of Edo state and I want to venture into this business.
Are there Pig farmers in Edo North or Okene axis on this forum?
I really want to pay a visit to any of the farms and probably source for my first set of piglets there.

Once again, I say God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by akaleb2015(m): 10:18pm On Mar 25, 2023
Haven gone through your write up about pigs what is the minimal capital that is used to start a pig farming? And a fish farming business?
Re: A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm by wiston09: 3:27pm On Feb 23
Please I need a pig pen to buy in Oke-aro pig estate. Any info we be highly appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Food Supply From Noerthern Nigeria / Otukpo Wooden Mortar Factory: Thriving Local Industry In Benue Community / Palm Oil Storage Business Investment (buying & Selling) In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.