Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) (850 Views)

COVID-19: A Medical Team From China Coming To Nigeria Soon - Osagie Ehanire / Medical Doctor In Police Net Over Placenta / Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) by drsugar: 11:40am On Oct 22, 2016
AN INTERESTING NOTE TO THE NIGERIAN PUBLIC FROM A MEDICAL DOCTOR (BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE)

Fellow NIGERIANS. If the nose itches a rich Nigerian or politician today, the next thing is to travel to foreign lands for evaluation. How many CPRs (resuscitations) have you seen in our hospitals being done for dying patients? What's the percentage of the successful ones that bring patients back to life? Maybe 0.5%, maybe 2%, maybe 5%. Something is wrong somewhere. So if you or someone you know needs a resuscitation/CPR now(God forbids), you know the percentage of the likely success already?. And the fact is that it can be anybody; a market woman('under priviledged') or a minister/governor('priviledged') in his office who suddenly collapses. No facilities in most(not all) hospitals, I mean basic MODERN ones. We need to get our priorities right. Remember, anybody can become an emergency room patient at anytime irrespective of your status (from my experience).

Right now, medical doctors (and other brilliant Nigerian trained professionals) are fleeing the country at an all-time alarming rate. Do you know that about 3,000 Nigeria-trained medical doctors are practising in the UK presently, 5,000 in the US, 1500+ in south Africa and thousands more in other countries of the world?. Due to the gaps being left behind by their departure, CHARLATANS AND HERBALISTS have started peforming surgeries, conducting lab tests and giving injections to our people (even the educated ones) in some areas of the country right now. Is this just the begining? My guess is that it might get worse if nothing is done.

Just compare this.... The United States of America has a whooping 826,000 currently active medical doctors as of now and they are still looking for many more who are employable to join..... My country, Nigeria NEEDS 237,000 doctors according to WHO to keep the Nigerian populace healthy, but instead has ONLY 35,000 (14.8%). Yet, they can't even take care of these few ones. I guess it's more of 'priority' issue than of 'economy'. Just 14.8% out of the required 237,000.

Are we going to wait until all our medical doctors leave the country, leaving behind a gap that allows Charlatans to start conducting lab tests with poor interpretations, herbalists doing surgeries and giving injections to our people (it's already happening though)? Is that what the government wants or what the good people of Nigeria deserve? If not, then the government and we the people of Nigeria need to start setting our priorities right and listening to the plight of doctors and other issues (timed-bomb) in the health sector BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.. Or is it a crime as a Nigerian medical doctor to stay back and practice in your country out of patriotism rather than join the exodus of many who have left for greener pastures? Asking for about 33% of what their colleagues in civilised world are being payed and people(including relatively well payed allied health workers) are slandering them as being greedy? These are not politicians or hip hop artists, these are qualified, sound and some, gifted/talented medical doctors. Or is this a problem of our value system in the country?

Before it is too late, don't slander, stop saying medical doctors are enjoying but share to inform more people about Nigerian medical doctors' current situation.

#Shared as recieved.....

Cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) by psucc(m): 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2016
Yes in the absence of crocodile we manage lizard. After all govt say we buy Nigeria to grow naira and the herbalists are Nigerians and produce made in Nigeria drugs with 100% Nigerian input.

Don't mind me o!

Our country is not for the poor.
Re: Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2016
Very true, i must say but let's not forget that some of our so called "medical doctors" are becoming killers. If i call them "quack", i may be right. Do you know why so many nigerians have turned to the herbal route of curative medicine? The health bills given at the hospitals are exorbitant and our so called medical practicioners try to exploit them at the slightest chance. Not to talk of the wrong diagnosis been given. The myriad of problems rocking our health sector is very foundational and as such require a foundational approach in solving them.
Re: Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2016
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Very true, i must say but let's not forget that some of our so called "medical doctors" are becoming killers. If i call them "quack", i may be right. Do you know why so many nigerians have turned to the herbal route of curative medicine? The health bills given at the hospitals are exorbitant and our so called medical practicioners try to exploit them at the slightest chance. Not to talk of the wrong diagnosis been given. The myriad of problems rocking our health sector is very foundational and as such require a foundational approach in solving them.
this is what nigerians always say "hospital bills are exhorbitant" hw much fees should doctors nw charge or should they offer there services for free...people find it hard to pay 200k for an emergency CS but find it easy to keep 2million naira to organise a naming ceremomy for d child dat is not even out..... about wrong diagnosis, it happens everywhere in the world but is higher in nigeria due to lack of adequate diagnostic equipment, even when the diagnostic equipment is available pple are not willing to pay so d doctor has to rely on the try and error method...... for example, d proper wat to confirm a stomach ulcer diagnosis is by endoscopy but an endoscopy costs at least 80k...hw many nigerians are willing to pay that for diagnosis..if u mention d price to dem dey say its exhorbitant and dat ur exploiting dem. ...if u use try and error, they say wrong diagnosis.

The main problem facing d health sector and medical practice in nigeria are the patients
Re: Note To The Nigerian Public From A Medical Doctor (before It Is Too Late) by Sirrexninefour(m): 7:57pm On Oct 22, 2016
Really, a state of emergency has to be declared on the health sector.
It's high time we place the health needs of the populace tops in our scale of preference.

Quality health services/insurance for the patients(as they're the most sensitive link in the chain), improved health facilities, social welfare of health workers, and creating enabling environment for improvement in knowledge/skills.

Until when our leaders prioritize the above listed points, the degradation in our health system will continue to upsurge exponentially!.

(1) (Reply)

Dental Problem / Boil On My Anus / Beef Dodo(recipe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.