Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,715 members, 7,813,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village (1916 Views)

Samsung J4 For Sale Or Swap At Cheap Price / Is Gsm Village In Abuja, A Good Place To Buy Phones?? / Gsm Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by mumuto: 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2016
As the Nigerian economy bites hard, scores of mobile phone users now head to the “Abuja GSM Village’’ for phone swap deals called “kankara’’. The deal is an exchange of phones which give the users new handsets of their choice in exchange for their old ones at little cost. The deal has become a popular trend at the market located at the Wuse Zone One part of the federal capital city, with patronage cutting across all ages. Phone users who may not have enough money for new ones prefer the exchange. However, the recent surge is not unconnected with the caveat by WhatsApp that it will de-list blackberry and some other mobile phones from its app from December. The Abuja GSM Village is a bustling market for sellers of all sorts of phones and phone accessories, alongside artisanal services. “The exchange entails a buyer handing over an old phone to a seller and getting a new or better one in return with just a little money added,’’ Mr Nonso Okoye, a trader at the market, said. He said those involved preferred the exchange because they usually get the type of phone they wanted without paying the actual worth of it in direct cash transaction. “Everybody wants to get a better version of handsets, but not everybody has the money to pay for it. “So, `kankara’ offers the opportunity to get one’s choice phone with a little money.’’ Another trader, Mr Ben Ibe, said sellers at the market usually make good profits from such exchanges as they would normally sell the exchanged phones at higher prices. He however said they were not giving out phones in exchange without making sure that the profit from the transaction would be worth it. “A customer may be given a phone whose cost is N35,000 for just N20,000, if he brings a phone that is worth N25,000. “By the time I sell his old phone, I would have made a gain of N10,000.’’ Miss Biola Ojo, who was at the market for a “kankara’’ transaction, said she was there to swap her blackberry handset which had served her for too long. She said she intended to exchange it for an upgraded version of any other phone that would be compatible with WhatsApp. “The amount I will add to get another phone will depend on the quality of the new one offered to me,’’ she said In Nigeria, there is always a way to go round every difficult situation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/recession-forces-nigerians-phone-swap-abuja-gsm-village/
Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by yeyeboi(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by Cutehector(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2016
Lol whatsapp cannot make me buy a new phone!
Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by jesse8048(m): 5:21pm On Oct 22, 2016
It might be cos of recession per say, some people might just want to change or have a feel of their dream phone which they might not have enough money to buy.

2 Likes

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by Youngpo413: 6:44pm On Oct 22, 2016
This too shall pass.
Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 22, 2016
Kankara=Ice block

I know yhu are referring to KAKARA

cool

1 Like

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2016
Op coman direct me to Kankara..Ayam tired of this Tecno m3 and I hope they can exchange it for Iphone 7 grin

2 Likes

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by obo389(m): 3:52am On Oct 23, 2016
this is not a new trend and have been in existence as far back as i can remember so people should not make any news out of it.
there is also vehicle swap.buy a vehicle,when your tired, trade it for another one and balance up.

3 Likes

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by henryobinna(m): 8:02am On Oct 23, 2016
things are hard you know

1 Like

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 23, 2016
obo389:
this is not a new trend and have been in existence as far back as i can remember so people should not make any news out of it.
there is also vehicle swap.buy a vehicle,when your tired, trade it for another one and balance up.
It's an advertisement. Creating publicity as more persons reading this would rush to that market

3 Likes

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by Tallesty1(m): 8:44am On Oct 23, 2016
jesse8048:
It might be cos of recession per say, some people might just want to change or have a feel of their dream phone which they might not have enough money to buy.
Phone swap has been going on for a long time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession Forces Nigerians Into Phone Swap At Abuja GSM Village by ifyeez: 10:06am On Oct 23, 2016
The OP has a shop at the market, his advertising his products. Swap that we knw since primary sch, dem done scam us tire self.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Get 6 Times Your Recharge On Airtel / So Urgent Pls / Itel S32 Vs Itel S33 Comparison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.