Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,189 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II (12535 Views)

Meet Seribo Adelabu, 63-year-old SS II Student, Pushing Wheelbarrow To Pay SSCE / ... / Unbelievable Facts (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 6:01am On Oct 24, 2016
Summary.

WWI

Date: 28 July 1914 - 11 November 1918(4 years, 3 months and 2 weeks)

World War I, also known as the First World War, or the Great War, was a global war originating in Europe that lasted from 28 July 1914 to 11 November 1918.

More than 70 million military personnel, including 60million Europeans, were mobilised in one of the largest wars in history.

Over nine million combatants and seven million civilians died as a resultof the war(including the victims of a number of genocides).

It was one of the deadliest conflicts in history, and paved the way for major political changes, including revolutions in many of the nations involved.

WWII

Date: 1 September 1939 - 2 September 1945(6 years and 1 day).

World War II also known as the Second World War, was also a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although related conflicts began earlier.

It involved the vast majority of the world's nations including all of thegreat powers eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis.

It was the most wide spread war in history, and directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries.

In a state of "total war", the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, erasing the distinction between civilian and military resources.

Marked by mass deaths of civilians, including the Holocaust(in which approximately 11 million people were killed) and the strategic bombing of industrial and population centres(in which approximately one million were killed, and which included the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki), it resulted in an estimated 50 million to 85 million fatalities.

These made World War II the deadliest conflict in human history.

The Second World War was arguably the most significant period of the 20th century. It brought about major leaps in technology and laid the groundwork that permitted post-war social changes including the end of European colonialism, the civil rights movement in the United States, and the modern women’s rights movement, as well as the programs for exploring outer space

Casualties in World War II.

The most destructive war in all of history, its exact cost in human lives is unknown, but casualties in World War II may have totaled over 50 million service personnel and civilians killed. Nations suffering the highest losses, military and civilian, in descending order, are:

USSR: 42,000,000.

Germany: 9,000,000.

China: 4,000,000.

Japan: 3,000,000.

Read more: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2490354017
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7735098332
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 6:02am On Oct 24, 2016
*. More than 65 million men from 30 countries fought in WWI. Nearly 10 million died. The Allies (The Entente Powers) lost about 6 million soldiers. The Central Powers lost about 4 million.

*. There were over 35 million civilian and soldier casualties in WWI. Over 15 million died and 20 million were wounded.

*. Nearly 2/3 of military deaths in WWI were in battle. In previous conflicts, most deaths were due to disease.

*. During WWI, the Spanish flucaused about 1/3 of total military deaths.

*. Russia mobilized 12 million troops during WWI, making it the largest army in the war. More than 3/4 were killed, wounded, or went missing in action.

*. During WWI, British tanks were initially categorized into “males” and “females.” Male tanks had cannons, while females had heavy machine guns.

*. “Little Willie” was the first prototype tank in WWI. Built in 1915, it carried acrew of three and could travel as fast as 3 mph (4.8 km/h).

*. Tanks were initially called “landships.” However, in an attempt to disguise them as water storage tanks rather than as weapons, the British decided to code name them “tanks.”

*. During WWI, dogs were used as messengers and carried orders to the front lines in capsules attached to their bodies. Dogs were also used to lay down telegraph wires.

*. During WWI, the Germans released about 68,000 tons of gas, and the British and French released 51,000 tons. In total, 1,200,000 soldiers on both sides were gassed, of which 91,198 died horrible deaths.

*. Millions of soldiers suffered “shell shock,” or post traumatic stress disorder, due to the horrors of trench warfare. Shell-shocked men often had uncontrollable diarrhea, couldn’t sleep, stopped speaking, whimpered for hours, and twitched uncontrollably. While some soldiers recovered, others suffered for the rest of their lives.

*. The Germans were skilled at intercepting and solving Allied codes. Germans also captured one out of four paper messengers. However, when a U.S. commander used Choctaw tribe members form the Oklahoma National Guard unit, they used an extremely complex language that the Germans could not translate. The eight Choctaw men and others who joined them became known as the Choctaw Code Talkers.

*. On Christmas Eve in 1914, soldiers on both sides of the Western Front sung carols to each other. On Christmas Day troops along 2/3 of the Front declared a truce. In some places the truce lasted a week. A year later, sentries on both sides were ordered to shoot anyone who attempted a repeat performance.

*. WWI transformed the United Stated into the largest military power in the world, the war cost U.S abouy $30billion.

*. French Second Lieutenant Alfred Joubaire wrote in his diary about WWI just before he died that

“Humanity is mad! It must be mad to do what it is doing. What a massacre. What scenes of horror and carnage! I cannot find words to translate my impressions. Hell cannot be so terrible! Men are mad”

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 6:02am On Oct 24, 2016
*. More than 500,000 pigeons carried messages between headquarters and the front lines. Groups of pigeons trained to return to the front lines were dropped into occupied areas by parachutes and kept there until soldiers had messages to send back.

*. On Christmas Eve in 1914, soldiers on both sides of the Western Front sung carols to each other. On Christmas Day troops along 2/3 of the Front declared a truce. In some places the truce lasted a week. A year later, sentries on both sides were ordered to shoot anyone who attempted a repeat performance.

*. The greatest single loss of life in the history of the British army occurred during the Battle of Somme, when the British suffered 60,000 casualties in one day. More British men were killed in that one WWI battle than the U.S. lost from all of its armed forces and the National Guard combined.

*. The Nazis murdered approximately 12 million people, nearly 6 million of those being Jews killed in the Holocaust.

*. Many Jews were subject to gruesome medical experiments. For example, doctors would bombard the testicles of men and the ovaries of women with X-rays to see the impact of different doses on sterility. Nazi doctors would break bones repeatedly to see how many times it could be done before a bone could not heal. They hit people’s heads with hammers to see what their skulls could withstand. Experiments were conducted to determine the effects of atmospheric pressure on the body. Prisoners were injected with different drugs and diseases, and limbs were amputated and muscles cut for transplantation experiments. Today reference to or use of the Nazi research is considered unethical.

*. Dr. Josef Mengele (the “Angel of Death”) used about 3,000 twins, mostly Romany and Jewish children, for his painful genetic experiments. Only about 200 survived. His experiments included taking one twin’s eyeball and attaching it on the back of the other twin’s head or changing the eye color of children by injecting dye. In one instance, two Romany twins were sewn together in an attempt to create conjoined twins.

*. More than 650,000 Jeeps were built during WWII. American factories also produced 300,000 military aircraft; 89,000 tanks; 3 million machine guns; and 7 million rifles.

*. The most powerful artillery gun created by any nation and used in WWII was named Karl by its designer General Karl Becker. Used mostly against the Russians, the huge gun could shoot a 2.5 ton shell over three miles. The shells were 24 inches wide and could go through eight to nine feet of concrete.

Source: http://facts.randomhistory.com/world-war-i-facts.html
http://www.factretriever.com/world-war-ii

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Alfred200825(m): 6:04am On Oct 24, 2016
First to comment on explorer thread

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by sauceEEP(m): 6:05am On Oct 24, 2016
Here to.........................

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 24, 2016
Third space on an explorer's thread.

The World War is not an interest of mine so I'd sit this one out.

2 Likes

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by madridguy(m): 6:14am On Oct 24, 2016
Following.....

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by patrickmuf(m): 6:16am On Oct 24, 2016
Following...

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Young03(m): 6:30am On Oct 24, 2016
was here

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by rawpadgin(m): 6:45am On Oct 24, 2016
I need to know the actual cause of ww2

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by jantofubu(m): 6:46am On Oct 24, 2016
mehn Hitler is a bastard grin no wonder his children decided never to marry in order to kill his blood lineage

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Roon9(m): 6:58am On Oct 24, 2016
Explorer

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by UrennaNkoli(f): 6:59am On Oct 24, 2016
jantofubu:
mehn Hitler is a bastard grin no wonder his children decided never to marry in order to kill his blood lineage
Where do you people get these your uncertified rumours and lies from? Always get your facts right.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Dexema(m): 7:01am On Oct 24, 2016
Let's go there explorers

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by ademasta(m): 7:11am On Oct 24, 2016
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by yorhmienerd(m): 7:17am On Oct 24, 2016
Make I sidon 4 my corner

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Henrodah(m): 7:31am On Oct 24, 2016
rawpadgin:
I need to know the actual cause of ww2

Hitler didn't obey the Treaty of Versailles(1919) He felt humiliated by this Treaty and did every thing in his power to revoke it, which eventually led to full blown warfare.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Henrodah(m): 7:32am On Oct 24, 2016
jantofubu:

He never had a child! He married hours before his suicide with his mistress/wife Eva Braun.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Henrodah(m): 7:35am On Oct 24, 2016
jantofubu:

He never had a child! He married hours before his suicide with his mistress/wife Eva Braun.

1 Like

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by swagifted(m): 7:44am On Oct 24, 2016
Just logged on
Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by allytinted: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2016
ok.
Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 24, 2016
Post no bill
Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 8:36am On Oct 24, 2016
The most successful fighter of the entire war was Rittmeister von Richthofen (1892-1918).

He shot down 80 planes, more than any other WWI pilot. He died after being shot down near Amiens. France's René Fonck (1894-1953) was the Allies’ most successful fighter pilot, shooting down 75 enemy planes.

.The term “dogfight” originated during WWI. The pilot had to turn off the plane’s engine from time to time so it would not stall when the plane turned quickly in the air. When a pilot restarted his engine midair, it sounded like dogs barking.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 24, 2016
Despite what the history books say; hitler was a military genius and a charismatic enigma.

I mean; he single handely invaded Poland, Czech, Austria, France, Scotland.......... He almost colonized Europe!

I still cannot fathom why he felt he had to attack Russia...... They had almost similar ideogogues....

I guess that's the problem with Military Geniuses;
After succesive wins, they tend not to listen to General's Advices and want to do another "Alexander the Great".

Napoleon did the same too.. sadsad

Heil Hitler!!!!!

20 Likes

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by rawpadgin(m): 8:50am On Oct 24, 2016
Henrodah:

Hitler didn't obey the Treaty of Versailles(1919) He felt humiliated by this Treaty and did every thing in his power to revoke it, which eventually led to full blown warfare.
hmmmm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by braithwaite(m): 8:54am On Oct 24, 2016
SirWere:
Despite what the history books say; hitler was a military genius and a charismatic enigma.

I mean; he single handely invaded Poland, Czech, Austria, France, Scotland.......... He almost colonized Europe!

I still cannot fathom why he felt he had to attack Russia...... They had almost similar ideogogues....

I guess that's the problem with Military Geniuses;
After succesive wins, they tend not to listen to General's Advices and want to do another "Alexander the Great".

Napoleon did the same too.. sadsad

Heil Hitler!!!!!

Trying to conquer Russia was his mistake...
Hitler was a stubborn genius

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 8:55am On Oct 24, 2016
The war left thousands of soldiers disfigured and disabled. Reconstructive surgery was used to repair facial damage, but masks were also used to cover the most horrific disfigurement. Some soldiers stayed in nursing homes their entire lives.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Mimzyy(f): 9:05am On Oct 24, 2016
Explorers, I think you should own a blog. Good morning.

10 Likes

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 9:13am On Oct 24, 2016
WWI was fought on every ocean and on almost every continent. Most of the fighting, however, took place in Europe.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by adextetoo(m): 9:17am On Oct 24, 2016
Explorer keep up the gud work I acknowledge you to be among the few sane people on nairaland

9 Likes

Re: Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II by Explorers(m): 9:20am On Oct 24, 2016
WWI introduced the widespread use of the machine gun, a weapon Hiram Maxim patented in the U.S. in 1884. The Maxim weighed about 100 pounds and was water cooled. It could fire about 450 - 600 rounds per minute. Most machine guns used in WWI were based on the Maxim design.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2016/2017 Jamb Biology / How To Check Jamb Result 2014 Without Scratch Cards - Www.jamb.org.ng / Unaab: 2009/10 Admission:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.